TKR Here it is - my LTKR recovery thread

Memo to self! "You're not TEFLON - don't try to run before you can walk!"

I just tried to get into the drivers side of my car, and something went crack or clunk in my knee. Knee feels fine, weight bearing fine but I am now icing. Hoping its just something clicking over something else or could it be a bit of scar tissue cracking?

ps.... haven't told hubbie as he'll take my car keys off me!
 
You're driving at 2 weeks out?
Please be careful!
 
Ah, I wasn't going to drive it I just wanted to see if I could get in it on the drivers side. I can get in the passenger side. Although if I could get in I could probably drive as its my left knee that's recovering, my car is automatic and I'm only taking paracetemol and diclofencac so no drugs that impair my abilities. With my RTKR it was 6 weeks before I could drive.
 
Ah, the sit-in-the-car-and practice manoeuvre!
Yes, I did that, but not until about 4 weeks post op.
 
:driver:Not yet... Hope the ice does the trick. Sounds like you're doing really well overall, though.
 
I'm posting this so I have a record of my progress. I'm just over three weeks post op. The external swelling has gone down considerably. ROM is over 100 measured by app on my phone - sometimes 103 and I have measured as high as 109. The overall general ache has subsided and been replaced by more specific pains, principally on startup. And the pains move around. Still stiff on startup but loosens quite quickly. Pain level when resting is zero to 1 and on start up maybe 4. I do have aching ITB when lying down but its nowhere near as bad as with my RTKR. So far I don't have the restless leg that I had last time. I'm sleeping relatively well, waking maybe twice during the night when I put icepack on my knee from the little chilly bin by the bed and seem to go straight back to sleep. I can if I want to lift my left on and off the bed. I can do a couple of straight leg raises with the smallest of lag. Very occasionally if I'm standing and lean back or turn suddenly then the knee complains and quads give way.

Taking 4000mg paracetemol, diclofenac 75SR twice a day and aspirin.

I have taken three walks this past week, the longest being 1.5km and took 30 minutes. I use crutches for the walks and get around the house without the crutches. I have ridden exercycle a few times mainly just rocking back and forwards for five minutes. The last time I rode it was about 3 days ago and I did manage to full revolutions backwards.

I haven't been for formal physio yet as the hospital physio gave me the basic stretches which are working. I'm thing in about another week I'll go as I can see my calf muscle loosing strength and my inner range quads.

I drove my car last weekend at just under 3 weeks and drove 15 minutes to choir practice last Tuesday. I took it easy during the day so I have energy to enjoy the 1.5 hours of singing. Really lifted my spirits.

I work from home as an Accountant and for the past few days have managed three hours work a day. I have my leg elevated on a stool with a pillow on top so its straight in line with my office chair. I don't do the three hours all at once but across the day, maybe in four short bursts.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Today I got back on the exercycle. One minute rocking back and forward, one minute backwards revolutions, then three minutes forwards. YAH! Then I did it again a few hours later and was going forward in 1 min 20 seconds.
 
Hey there Kiwi - just popped in to cheer your recovery on Margaret -- hugs across the ditch x
 
Thanks @Poppet and @Celle
Things are definitely coming along at the other end of the scale this time. I try to resist telling myself that I deserve an easy recovery this time given the tough and slow recovery with the other one as I don't want to jinx things. I'm seeing my physio for the first time post op this coming Thursday to review the exercises I'm doing and to get a nice massage of the muscles etc. I seem to remember last time they dropped some of the exercises once I was riding the exercycle.
 
Hope the same for this recovery Margaret xx
 
It's good not to compare, but I'm sure we all wish you an easier recovery this time. Not having the quad lag should be a plus.
 
Five weeks post op tomorrow. Seeing physio for first time this coming Thursday for a check on my exercises and massage of muscles, so haven't had ROM measured properly yet. The app on my phone said 111 today. And I can now get on the exercycle and ride forwards after only a couple of backward revolutions. Walked 1.6 km today without crutches or tramping poles.
 
You're making really good progress, Margaret! :yay:
 
Surgeon had asked me to email him one month post op to let him know how I'm doing. Here's his reply:
I am delighted that progress is better than with your other knee. Often you will get significant discomfort in a total knee for at least two months after surgery. I am not too surprised about the pain just below the knee or indeed difficulty getting going for the first few steps. Your range of movement sounds pleasing and certainly your exercise tolerance looks excellent for this stage. I think the key is to gradually build with you exercise and strengthening work and be guided by pain as you go.

Been to physio this morning for an hour. Good news is ROM is 110. She said there's still swelling and keep elevating to drain it but overall I'm way ahead for 5 weeks post op. And best of all she didn't try to bend anything where it didn't want to go.

Exercises programme below, twice a day and I'm to back off if any cause pain:
1. Static quads
2. Heel slides, add theraband for resistance if tolerated
3. Short arc quads as high as can without pain then add strap around foot to lift higher, contract quads and lower slowly releasing tension on the strap progressively
4. Knee flexion with skateboard just pushing back and forward for five and then one with stretch holding for 15 seconds
5. Lie on stomach, bend knee back and down five times, then hold bent and lift knee off bed/floor. Its easier than it sounds.
6. As I don't have stairs in my house - using a low stool, step up with good leg, step back down with TKR leg
7. Stand on TKR leg and balance for 10 seconds if possible. Try with eyes shut
8. Small squats with swiss ball against wall, which I've been able to do for a week now
Walk as as far as tolerated, making sure I'm using glutes
Exercycle but making sure I pedal "push, scoop, pull" as I go down, round the the pedal cycle. Effectively its heel, ball, toe like with walking. She said this will make sure I'm using the hamstrings as well as quads to pedal.
 
That all sounds good, Margaret. Your ROM is great! :):yes!::happydance:
 
Exercycle but making sure I pedal "push, scoop, pull" as I go down, round the the pedal cycle. Effectively its heel, ball, toe like with walking. She said this will make sure I'm using the hamstrings as well as quads to pedal.
Interesting point.
 
Just over six weeks and doing well. New exercises seem to be moving things along nicely. I ride the exercycle 10 minutes each day and can now do 4 minutes on tension 2. I walk just under 2km every day. Measured my ROM today with the app on my phone - 120. Some nights I sleep better than other nights.

In advance I'm going to apologise to myself because I know next Monday I'm joining the ODIC club. Our choir has a concert with a visiting youth choir from Australia and no way am I going to miss it! I have to be at the venue from 5.30pm to 9pm but won't be on my feet all that time. I've been going to choir practice from 6.30pm to 8pm with no impact. I'll sit as much as I can and even try to elevate on the church pews. Might take my blue jelly icepacks in a chilly bag.
 
Another great report, Margaret! :dancy::spin::happydance:

I'm so glad you're having an easier recovery this time.

Enjoy your ODIC session. You know what to do afterwards - extra Rest, Ice and Elevation for few days.

Best wishes.
 
Back
Top Bottom