TKR Here it is - my LTKR recovery thread

Hi all, its a couple of months since I last posted. I'm now just under 9 months postop. This past week has been hectic as we moved into the our house we have bought. I didn't keep track but I'm guessing I've been on my feet around the house, cleaning, unpacking boxes etc for at least 8 hours a day Wed to Sat, then Sun took a day off. Yesterday/ Monday I spent four hours cleaning the rental house we'd moved out of with only two 15 minutes breaks.

So how are my knees after all that. Neither stopped me keeping going. The four year old was marvelous. The nine month old ached somewhat after a few hours, was swollen a little, and lost some ROM but today/Tuesday is almost back to normal. The aches in the left were all around the knee, down my shin and into my foot. Obviously I joined the ODIC. I took diclofenac and paracetemol (tylenol).

This move has proved to me that I really can to whatever I set my mind to do and that I'm stronger now that I thought I was. I lifted things that I definitely couldn't have lifted a few months ago. I was adamant I was getting this house in order as quickly as possible, and I did. Hubbie was doing things like plumbing in washing machine, setting up four beds, installing the TV, fixing a couple of kitchen cabinets that the shelves fell out of, building my office desk and bookcases, etc etc and I was unpacking box after box after box.

When we moved out of our old house last August I was 3 months post op and could do very little to help. Full recovery really does take about a year. So to all the Bonesmarties in the early stage of recovery please take comfort that things do improve as time passes.
 
Thank you for this encouraging and inspiring post! May I wish you years of pain free mobility in your new home!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Campervan,
Thanks for the update, it is wonderful to hear how well you are doing.
Enjoy your new home.
 
Fantastic recovery, I'm so pleased for you.

I wish you all the happiness in the world for you in your new home xx
 
Hi Margaret,
It's great to hear that your knees are doing so well. :yes!::happydance::yay:

I'm glad the move to your new house went well, too. :friends::flwrysmile:
 
I only just found your new thread. You were so helpful and sympathetic with me with my left knee. I am 2months behind you with my second and doing pretty well although I don't think my ROM is anything like as good as yours. What is the app called to measure it with? I am so pleased that you are doing so well this time, long may it continue. May you find much happiness in your new home.
 
Hi @Majic
The app I use is an Android app. I searched ROM goniometer and its from YMed. There are others around too.
broken link removed: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ROM.goniometry&hl=en
 
Majic, in case you need one for Apple, one that works is just called goniometer. I tried a fancier one but couldn't get it to work.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
...and I tried a fancier Android one as well and didn't have any success so stuck with the simple one.
 
Eleven months now. So where's this left knee at - see separate thread for the right one.

I have a lot of start up pain. Only have to sit for 10 minutes and its painful to weight bear for the first few steps. The pain is all on the inside of the knee and towards the back. I get swelling sometimes and pain through the back of the knee but physio doesn't think is bakers cyst playing up. I still struggle up and down stairs but don't need the handrail and I probably don't get enough practice on them as our new house, like our old one, has no stairs. After physio massage treatment the knee feels more relaxed.

I go for walks along the river trails, with a few small hills and can walk for an hour before my knee aches and slows me down. It I walk for 45 minutes, stop at the cafe for coffee and cake (or bacon sandwich!) for half an hour and then take off again I can easier do another 45 minutes.

I'm seeing my OS on 5 May for one year review. Will keep posting.
 
Campervan,
Thanks for the update, sounds like you are still healing and will improve with time. I hope your OS is able to figure out why you are having pain the first few steps.
 
This move has proved to me that I really can to whatever I set my mind to do and that I'm stronger now that I thought I was. I lifted things that I definitely couldn't have lifted a few months ago. I was adamant I was getting this house in order as quickly as possible, and I did. Hubbie was doing things like plumbing in washing machine, setting up four beds, installing the TV, fixing a couple of kitchen cabinets that the shelves fell out of, building my office desk and bookcases, etc etc and I was unpacking box after box after box.

When we moved out of our old house last August I was 3 months post op and could do very little to help. Full recovery really does take about a year. So to all the Bonesmarties in the early stage of recovery please take comfort that things do improve as time passes

Hi there Campervan,
I am very encouraged by this post.
The comparison you have described, and the improvements you have experienced give me hope.
Unfortunately, at 3 months, I had no choice but to sort and pack up my mother's house. Her advanced dementia made it necessary to move her to a facility where she could have 24 hour care.
I tried to make sure I included time to elevate and ice, but there was not always time for that - moving is a messy business, as you so well know.
Now the knee is so tight, and my ROM has decreased. It was at 98 when I started, but now it has regressed to less than 90 again.
In 3 days I have to return to work - there is no way to extend that time off - there is a new computer program being implemented for our leave times, so there is a black out on any leave requests.
I have a wonderful, supportive supervisor, and I know I will be able to include times to elevate and ice during the day (probably more than I could while packing up the house).
My fear is that if the ROM does not improve again, that the surgeon will want to do a manipulation. I honestly believe this tightness is swelling, from all I have read here at Bonesmart, and I am hoping that a regular rest period worked into my days will allow the ROM to come back.
Thank you again for continuing to post here, even as you show such improvement. It has sure given me hope!!
 
Hi @lilbit
I'll talk about your concerns in your post (above) on your own thread, so that we don't derail Campervan's thread.
 
I had my 12 month LTKR review yesterday with my OS and he also reviewed my RTKR which is 4.5 years old. I had four XRays of each knee. He said everything looks good, nice alignment, nice penetration of cement into bone. He thinks the startup etc discomfort I'm experiencing is the medial ligament under stress and adjusting to the new alignment. He reminded me that my RTKR also did this and that it took close to two years for me to stop mentioning it. He thinks I have done too much over this first year because of all the packing and house hunting and unpacking. He said next review in 3 years on both knees but to let him know if the discomfort doesn't lessen.

He said let pain be my guide - if something hurts, don't do it! NOW WHERE HAVE I HEARD THAT BEFORE??? Ummmmm, let me think - oh yes BONESMART. Isn't it great when an OS confirms all the Bonesmart great information.
 
Another great report, Margaret! It's so good to hear that. :yes!::happydance::yay::flwrysmile:
 
Great report Margaret, happy you are doing well. Those ligaments will settle down with time.
Sounds like your OS is looking at Bonesmart.
 

Staff online

  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom