TKR Here it is - my LTKR recovery thread

Well done. On recovery. Xxxx Happy healing. U don't alsways get good staff at hospital.


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
Yesterday we flew home and the snow had all melted around our house so the cab driver could drive up the side of our house so I could get out on the flat ground. Its good to be home. I'm sleeping in my own bed, albeit broken sleep. Waking maybe every two hours and the knee aches. I have a little chilly bin by the side of the bed with blue coldpacks in it and icepacks to keep them cool. So each time I wake I put on a coldpack and that seems to help me get back to sleep. I also take paracetemol (tylenol) if its time to.

For pain I'm taking 4000mg of tylenol each day and 2 x Diclofenac 75SR. Pain level during the day is nil when I'm resting. The ache during the night is around 2 pain level.

On discharge from hospital the physio gave me an exercise sheet and instructions to do them when I can do them with discomfort not pain. I can't do the short arc quads nor straight leg raises yet, but I can do the heel slides on my little skateboard, leg extension. And I can do the mini squats and lunges with foot up on a low stool - but I think I'll go easy on those for now.

I can get around our house without crutches but I have promised my hubbie that when he's not here I will use them as our house is long and narrow. Right now he's out working for 3 hours - :heehee::heehee: earning money to pay the personal portion of my surgery.
 
Wonderful to hear you are home, and set up with your recovery nest. Take it easy and let your knee heal.
:sleep::ice::elevate: and :chillpill:
 
I'm glad you're home safely.

You're right to go easy on those exercises. Just do the minimum for now. There's plenty of time for the rest and I know you're the queen of patience! :heehee:
 
I'm glad you're back safe @Campervan. Please be careful with that snow. Oooh I shuddered at the thought of the cold snow but I bet it's beautiful xx wishing you a fabulous straightforward recovery. You deserve it xx

Love Nana moon 27 xx
 
Wishing you a happy pain free recovery. Glad u made it. Don't do it if it hurts. Don't let no one hurt you. Rest ice elivate. Xxxx Good luck!!!



Betcha the snow is beautiful. We had snow when I had my 2nd sugury in March. Was up to our truck tires. Think I posted pic in thread.


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
Squats? lunges? Bit soon for that surely. I still wouldn't choose to squat!!
 
The squats are really little and holding onto a table. And the lunges are with foot up on a stool and again really small to help the bend. Only a few of each and really really gently. Pre op I had been doing squats with a swissball against a wall and could go down quite low along with a bunch of other exercises from physio to get me ready. I think it has made a massive difference, although I still can't do straight leg raise or assisted leg raise/short arc quads.

The app on my phone to measure ROM says I'm 86 post exercise.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Margaret,
I think you are doing great with this recovery, your ROM is right on target, and you are watching your exercise to stay out of the OCIC.
At a little over a week out, your quads need more time to recover, then you will be doing your leg raises and SAQ's.
 
@Pumpkln Thanks. OS instructions were to work hard on the bend and be "quiet with the quads" until I can do them with only discomfort not pain. So my focus is flex and extension and softly softly with that and it seems to be paying off.
 
Hi Margaret,
You know that we recommend not working hard at anything - especially the bend. It will come gradually, as the swelling goes down. For now, I suggest just doing a few heel slides and forgetting the lunges and mini-squats.
Heel slides and how to do them

Those, and just walking around the house are plenty for now.

:flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
 
When my OS says hard, he means often and not to the point of pain. I've stopped the squats. So all doing now are the quad sets and heel slides on the bed to warm up and then heel slides with my wonderful little skateboard. The heel slide instructions from the hospital physio are exactly the same the one Bonesmart link. I'm walking around the house no crutches, no limp, just a little stiff. I do use the crutches when I go outside.
 
Welcome home, Margaret! Home is just the best place to be to rehab and it sounds like you have a good set-up. Glad to hear that you have a sensible pt routine in place. Every day will get better from now on!

Roxie
 
Good luck with your recovery!



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi there Margaret, @Campervan - I see you now have two bionic knees and your recovery is going well - good for you - hugs across the ditch :)
 
12 days post op and the app on my phone says my ROM post exercise is 90.
 
Hi Margaret,

Congrats on your new knee! Glad you're doing so well. (I had my second TKR June 7th 2012 - 3 years ago! Every day now I am so grateful to be pain free.)

All the best,
Julia
 
14 days post op and the app on my phone says ROM is 100. Everything this time is going much smoother and quicker than my RTKR and those of you that have known me these past three plus years will know just how much this means to me and especially as my RTKR is still has 5degrees of quad lag. I do have some energy drain - I had two good days and then today I feel whacked. Some nights I sleep better than others, but generally I wake at least twice.
 
I'm really glad to hear that this new knee seems to be progressing so well. :yes!::happydance::yay:
 
Back
Top Bottom