Guest viewing is limited

TKR Here I go again!

I was contacted by the clinical outcomes organisation for a 12 week follow up questionnaire which I duly completed. I could then see how my outcomes compared to those of other people. The chart showed a clear line of progression to a solid 'average'. Fine by me. I'm just getting on with life. The only time I think about my knee is when rising to stand from sitting or going downstairs. Momentarily painful then all fine.
 
Nothing at all wrong with average! In fact, it would be an improvement for me!

That’s great that most of the time you hardly think about your knee!
 
Clinical outcomes form again. I answered all the questions and found that this time I was at the 'very good' outcome level. My knee certainly feels pretty good to me. Maybe because my first TKR recovery was hard this time was easier because I knew what to expect. I don't know. I'm just grateful. I'm very grateful and don't take it for granted. I'm posting this to show that sometimes recovery goes smoothly. I suppose people don't tend to post here unless they're having difficulty!
 
I suppose people don't tend to post here unless they're having difficulty!
This is true. We usually do hear about the problems and not the successes. It is so uplifting and encouraging when we can read of positive outcomes! Thank you for sharing yours and helping others through their recoveries!
 
Wow. Just had to say - don't think yoga is easy! I went to a 'therapeutic' yoga session yesterday as I feel a bit stiff all over. It was a nice class with a gentle and careful teacher but oh boy did I stretch muscles I didn't know I had! Although it's freezing outside and cool in the room I ended up sweating with the effort of the stretches and resistance work. Very good for me I suspect but I'm quite sore in odd places today.
Just sitting on the floor was hard and getting up again was even harder. But I managed. I'll continue to manage.
I'm increasing the length of my everyday walking and I reckon the yoga should help with overall flexibility but I'm not saying it's easy.
My knees are fine though!!
 
I’m glad your knees are fine! That’s great that you’ve had good recoveries! I wonder if I will ever be able to say that.

My daughter likes to do yoga. I have never tried it, and I’m sure my leg would not cooperate right now if I tried it now. Maybe since you’re just starting, just do some of the movements and build up gradually to the rest. I’m sure it’s nice to be with the others in the class.
 
Sorry to hear things still aren't great for you @Jockette.
I absolutely have to take things slow and easy at yoga - my stiff old frame won't let me do anything else!
The other ladies in the class are very nice and we went for coffee afterwards. I'll persevere.
 
Oh coffee afterwards sounds great!

Other than my ROM, which amazingly is still getting better, at almost 2 years post op, my other issues and discomforts have not improved at all. I finally broke down and made an appointment for another opinion.
 
Did you have to kneel or did they modify things for you?
 
Hi @KarriB. The teacher is very kind. She'd planned the session to suit me and all positions were adaptable for me. No kneeling. It was just a shock to my system to be lying on my back with my legs up the wall etc. I found it hard to inch myself about on the floor. The other ladies all said that they were like me when they started but I doubt that somehow!
 
Back at yoga again today. Felt much better and was amazed at the difference the various stretches made. I'm mentioning this because so many posters talk about gym sessions or bikes but I'd not noticed yoga being discussed. The class I went to is called therapeutic yoga and although it seems so simple I end up sweating. The difference in my flexibility between the start and the end of the class is amazing. Apart from anything else my ROM was great!
 
I have never tried yoga. Never was that flexible. Even less chance of that now. Good to hear you are getting on well and knees are good.
 
I'm seriously not flexible at all! The family thought it was hilarious that I was going to try yoga. Apart from knee issues I've got fused vertebrae in my back. I was a bit stiff this morning in muscles unaccustomed to such stretching but it was a good feeling and wore off rapidly.
I think it's going to be a very good thing for me. The teacher was saying that she has groups with ladies in their 80s in them. There's hope for me yet!
 
I’m glad you’re back at it. I would love to try a adapted yoga but the floor (even with a mat) is so hard on my back. I have been doing a lot of work to strengthen my core on my spare bed which has a very firm mattress. I can easily do leg lifts one at a time with my foot facing the ceiling, but both legs together! :yikes:
 
That's good @KarriB! I get to put my legs up the wall at yoga. Most alarming. Not a thing I ever expected to do. The teacher rushes around helpfully placing cushions, blocks and bolsters to support people. Every person only does what they can. No pressure. I've invested in an extra thick yoga mat. Until it arrives I use 2 conventional ones.
 
Is the teacher well trained in teaching yoga?

My 55+ community that I live in has a yoga group, once a week I think. I don’t know who teaches it.

I can’t imagine doing yoga positions, especially at the moment with things so uncertain with my knee. But I do wonder about it in the future if my knee gets fixed.

But often I try something to fix a current issue, only to cause another issue as a result. And I have a lot of body issues that arthritis has caused in my spine and neck.

I’m impressed that you have adapted and have acquired greater flexibility!
 
Oh yes she's well trained. There's another group across town who do seated yoga (in chairs) and another which does laughter yoga. I don't suppose you feel up to laughing though with all your problems. Hope things improve for you soon. It does seem so unfair.
 
Back
Top Bottom