TKR Here I go again!

Well I made a bit of progress today. It's cold and wet here so knee a bit stiff. Anyway, I took a taxi into town for my group, stayed 2 hours and taxi home again. This meant that I was sitting with my legs down, knee flexed and trouser fabric rubbing over my scar. However, perhaps due to the distraction it felt OK. I thought there might be a price to pay when I stood up but it felt fine. If anything it was less stiff. I may know all about it tonight though.

I've noticed something. If I sit at my desk engrossed in work my knee bends pretty comfortably to what looks like 90+. It's a long smooth stretch rather than an intermittent one and seems to work quite well. It's not stiff or sore when I get up again.

I doubt PTs have enough time to wait and watch while TKR people sit for a 2 hour stretch though. No wonder they make you try reps.

Well I'm 7 weeks out now. Extension 0 but flexion still only around 90. This is OK really but if I try to bend it further there seems to be a very definite constriction on the outer side of my knee and extending round to the front. Is this the lateral ligament? Will it stretch in time?
I can sit easily with my legs down for hours and walk etc. Am due to see OS in 10 days and am hoping I'm not in trouble!

@Spex10 now that you're several weeks out, how do you think this knee is doing compared to the first one. My surgery on my right knee was 3 years ago. I just had surgery on my left this past Monday. I know each knee is different and technology has changed in 3 years, but I think I feel pretty much the same as before. This knee was much more of a mess...more scar tissue, ACL reconstruction from 1979, etc. but the surgeon also addressed issues that cropped up from the first knee so I wouldn't have them this time. Only time will tell. I'm just having a hard time dealing with the fatigue. I know our body needs the rest, but boy am I sleepy. I have extension of 0 and flexion of 92. Not bad as of this point.

No that's not bad at all @momweb!
This second TKR seems to have gone 100% better than the first one. I sort of can't believe it. Only took Paracetamol, no energy drain and solid 7 or 8 hours sleep a night. Signed off to drive at 6 weeks. I'm very happy with the way things are but worrying if it's good enough for the OS next week. I don't want another MUA and don't know if this lateral tightness is a problem or not.
I don't take anything for granted and am so grateful for a night's sleep and the level of mobility I have at this stage this time round.
Sleep as and when you can!

Eureka! Discovery. I was in town today. Went by taxi as otherwise too much walking. After I finished my meeting I needed a taxi home again. The Edinburgh festival is on and the streets are a nightmare. However, I suddenly realised as I stood on the pavement looking for a cab that my knees didn't hurt. Previously, standing for any length of time was virtually impossible! Now it's OK. Once my knee's a bit better healed and less stiff life won't consist of looking for where I can sit. Hooray!

@Spex10 what a feeling when you realize that your knees are just another part of your body and not something that deserves such extra attention all the time. I went for a walk yesterday for the first time. I only walked to the end of the block and back but it was enough. It felt great to be a part of the world again. It's only been a week, but it seemed like forever since I was outside and walking on my own power. Such small steps mean so much!

Hip hooray! Just back from appointments with OS and PT. OS completely happy with outcome of my TKR and has discharged me. He told me that I could expect to make the same level of improvement over the next 8 weeks and total recovery in about 18 months. Seemed reasonable. I told him that I hadn't complied with physio and he said that a colleague of his didn't either and had the same good result!
PT also pleased. I did tell him that I didn't actually do the exercises that he showed me but he said that at least I'd listened to him and tried them. He gave me 10/10. Also measured ROM and it was 100+!!
Just off to live my life.

Hi Spex10 I have followed your thread and just wanted to say how chuffed I am you are well on the way to total recovery.
Hoping we all get to the same point as you over time.
Best wishes

Thanks @Kazmeraz! I hope you do fine too. I didn't take recovery for granted. Last time wasn't great.

@Spex10 thats great news. You will be so relieved to know everything has gone well. Are you now able to get on and do everything as before. Do you need to go back and see OS at any time for any further checks or is that you?

@Mollymax - no. They don't want to see me again! Fine by me. Such a boost. I may have a small G&T tonight to celebrate.
Your turn next. I bet your next TKR goes really well.

That's fab news. Make it a large G&T. I sure am gong to have one tonight while I scream at hubby.

@Spex10 Terrific news!! Being dismissed at 8 weeks is spectacular. I'm hoping to follow you. I see the OS for my 2 week check today. I've already been dismissed by my home PT and have scheduled out-patient PT eval for tomorrow morning. We're then heading to New Hampshire for 4 days away from everything. I need to renew. I'll still do my exercises without anyone watching. I'll still ice and I've given up on the Oxycodone because I've realized how much it was making me ill. Stop by every so often and check in to let us know how you're doing. I can't wait for my G&T. Enjoy!!

Try missing out the exercises @momweb? You might be surprised at the result.

What a fantastic report! This knee has been so much easier than your last one. You deserve it!

Well I have (theoretically) retired from paid work so not under any pressure to return. I know people seem to go back at between 6 and 12 weeks. I went back to my routine activities since discharge by OS. Three 4 hour sessions so far. Well I fell asleep during the 6 O'clock News last night! My knee was fine being down for hours but boy oh boy was I wiped out by the sheer mental energy of getting back in the swing of things. Good luck all you work returners.
It's lovely to have a day doing nothing special today!

I found in my early days that a day of work followed by a day of rest worked out well for my knee.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom