Guest viewing is limited

PKR Help! Continued pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone for info. I will check out the doctor's listed. I'm actually familiar with a couple of them. Anybody know anything about Dr. Meninghini out of IU? He was on cover of Best Docs Magazine in November. @Clipless I would love to have notes as well as x-rays. I should know they would have this stuff. I think I'm feeling so intimidated by my surgeon. As I look back, I should have walked, no run, out of his office, even with his credentials and records. He didn't even discuss x-rays before surgery until I asked to see them. It was actually a bizarre 1st visit. I had seen 2 other docs before making my decision. I think I was led to believe that knee replacement was common place, didn't even think about something going wrong--- especially a partial knee replacement. I think it was that partial replacement option that sold me on him. Everyone kept saying I was in great health and it would be a piece of cake. Hmmmmmm----live and learn.

Anyway, I finally have an appointment with the guy in late Jan.; I feel privileged :chinstroke:. I'm an overeducated, outspoken business owner who's dealt with just about every kind of person. And here I am confessing that I am terrified to see this guy, of complaining of pain, of asking for my records. No, he will not be cutting on me again. I think I'm seeing him to finally hear what he thinks. Although as I'm writing this, I figure he will say it's perfect, I should never have seen a pt, and I just need to wait. Then I expect he will be a snot when I ask for records. So the obvious question, why did I choose him? I had been dealing with bad knees for years. Since I'd never been sick, never had to deal with doctors, I kinda went for the guy with great schooling and accolades. And he came highly recommended by several people. Mostly, I had had a yukky summer of pain; couldn't do so many things I wanted outside. I made a quick decision and just did it (too many Nike commercials). And I'm still thinking the guy may be a great surgeon, lousy bedside, but skilled. I know things go wrong sometimes. I'm just trying to keep positive after a sleepless night. Had me a little pity party earlier and ate chocolate covered cherries.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Janet, thanks for video. Where do you folks find these things? I need to do more googleing :heehee: I tried propping myself on couch, but because it has cushions, I slipped between them. Boy that was fun getting out of! I actually had a hospital bed for awhile. My house has so many stairs getting to my own bed was several weeks of therapy in itself. I did see another doc last week. He's the one who hinted at bad placement. I will be seeing several docs, and doing lots more research before anyone cuts on me again. In the mean time, life goes on, painfully and thought provokingly.
 
@Sonny'sWife Depression is a stinker for sure. I'm actually proud of myself for acknowledging it right now. The biggest problem with it, is that I often soothe myself with chocolate. And with not sleeping, and being in the area next to the kitchen, that's really bad news. I've long been a chocoholic and kind friends just keep bringing it, probably because they know if I don't have it on the premises I will go get it---no matter what time. I've also watched the Hallmark Christmas movies till I can quote them. I just love the one "Angels Sing" with Harry Conick. How are you doing with your surgery? Do you have physical therapy? I'm here if you need an ear or a prayer.
 
Hey not good. Lol my room is close to kitchen. And I'm more of peanut butter fudge and white chocolate. Been try to stay away from it. Lol I've ate so much Hobbling around. But I think we all may be guilty of eating something ;) I find my self getting more depressed when I can't do something. But I keep trying. Then I wind up in mess. But good luck to ya. Xxxd


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum ❤️SonnysWife
 
I do have pt start tommrow. Had one session and well it did not go good. I will be getting me another one. She was rude. I said I can't do it. And she got mad at me. I said some nice things in a polite way. But people who have not been through it really don't understand. I'm doing fine. Just can't bend good. I can but it kills me. And know I have some kind pop nose and Movement in knee. See Surgen in January. But his assistant is going to see me earlier. I love Angels I have a ton. I think looking at them makes me more calm. Sucks cause all I have is Hub and kids. And I'm here all day by self until there home. So I get kinda sad.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum ❤️SonnysWife
 
[Bonesmart.org] Help! Continued pain
.

forever39 said:
I've also watched the Hallmark Christmas movies till I can quote them. I just love the one "Angels Sing" with Harry Conick.
Here is all my prettys :) they keep me safe and calm.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum ❤️SonnysWife
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Sonny'sWife Oh my! You are quite the collector. They are obviously important to you, I spied the fire extinguisher in front. :angel: If I lived closer I'd bring you my famous peanut butter fudge. We make tons of it for Christmas gifts. I prefer chocolate, so I don't eat it. Yea!!! Hopefully you are able to rest and aren't trying to run a house while hubby and kids are not there. I was by myself a lot too. I often napped with some good music on, iced, and elevated, so when everyone was home I was in a better mood. My crew has learned to deal with the messy house. I didn't do much for Christmas and actually wished for "out of towners" not to come (they didn't). I also did a lot of the exercises by myself. Somehow if I slowly bent my knee, it hurt less than if someone else did it. I read on here about someone else using a rocking chair---it works. I still do lots of extension exercises and contracting my quads. Again, I'm in control. I've read so much on Bonesmart about how important it is not to hurt ourselves and that the bending and stretching will come. I believe it. If you haven't read the articles, do. They helped me a lot. Keep your chin up---you've been in my thoughts.

Now about that PT----if you are swollen, it hurts. She should know that. Mine actually stopped therapy because of the swelling. Maybe she could measure the swelling to convince herself that it exists if she can't see it. My lymphedema therapist did that to document what the massage and pumps were doing. Is your pain just with bending, or are you having other issues? I think maybe we were both misled with the ease of a partial. You are still less than a month. I was still using a walker and exhausted. Take it easy.
 
Hi @forever39 just wanted to check in on ya, looks like you've had a wild ride since I chimed in last.
You're on the right track though, and I admire your upbeat attitude through all this. Hang in there and you'll get all the info you need. Hell, I had 4 "second opinions" before I pulled the trigger on my partial haha.
 
Me to. Thanks my problem is I want to be up know. My pt was grouch lol. Change real fast. Will tell all in long letter lol. Yeh it's hard run house. And sucks. So I do as I can. Learned real fast lol.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum ❤️SonnysWife
 
Thought I'd give an update. Had my bone scan today that was requested by the 2nd opinion surgeon. Machine was just as creepy as I had read, and this was reported to be the least "closed in" made. I asked to see it and have procedure explained before beginning; protested and was given the option of not having it over my face; routinely it does. Machine is not as simple as a bone density test; it's nuclear medicine, not standard x-ray. It has long table with overhead scanner that comes down to within 2 inches of body. While sides are mostly open, there were several posts on side of table. And because scanner is so close to the body, no way one could just scoot out in a panic attack. Technician stated it would take 6 minutes to get me out if needed. Typically they cover your eyes to help with panic. Apparently I'm not the only one who wasn't thrilled with the close quarters. There were also lovely pictures on the ceiling and walls to soothe----yeah, right. Full body scans are generally scripted because machine determines any arthritis, infection and or lesions. Used lots with cancer patients. In my particular case, in addition to the painful new partial knee, there is question of hip and/or back arthritis as well as lack of cartilage in the non surgery knee. All of which have gotten worse after this "wish I hadn't done it" left partial knee replacement. I was injected with the dye which allows the affected areas to glow----cool, I'm radioactive! Areas are referred to as hot spots. Scanner then lowered and moved over just my knees for about 10 minutes. Was able to see a timer, no clicking sounds as in an MRI. Got up and returned 3 hours later. Back on table, scanner began moving toward my head and I had technician stop it at just below neck. Scanner lowered and began. Couldn't see timer, but guessing about 15 minutes. It raised, I was placed on side and scanning repeated for about 12 more minutes. All in all, not bad other than the pain from being on back, then side. (Nope, not any better.) However, no way I could have had machine over my face without being knocked out. Also had blood work done. Doctor should have results by next week, at which point I will be seeing him for plan. On a humorous note, the original surgeon has now scheduled an appointment with me for the end of the month. I am going just to see what he says and to get all my notes and x-rays.

My spirits are pretty good; hey the Colts are doing awesome! Have pretty much stopped all exercise except bending and extending; minimal to no pain when not bearing weight or having pressure on implant area. Have to be careful when walking to use knee and not calf; found out how painful calf can get. Of course using knee is really, really painful, but it doesn't last when I sit. Still sleeping in recliner. Had to be in wheelchair at hospital today, couldn't walk that far.

Hope everyone else is OK.
 
Glad you had the testing done. Now that's out of the way. Sounds like quite an ordeal. I hope you will come back and let us know what you find out. Go Colts!!
 
You and I seem to be on the same schedule. I had a patellofemoral replacement on Oct 9, 2014. It's amazing how I was in such pain, and then, one day I woke up and the pain was better. Like turning a switch! I still get pain when walking, I am up to a mile now, but painful. But, the pain is not a constant when resting. I ice several times per day still, and have been going to PT all along. I still limp, but my Ortho and PT said my muscles around the knee, particularly the one that fires up the knee cap were so weak due to the amount of pain it caused prior to the surgery, that the muscles shut down automatically, and I have to retrain my brain as well as the muscles. I have good flexion, but I can not straighten as part of a normal gait yet. I can manually straighten when seated and extending the leg and letting it relax, but not while using muscles.
In December, I had pulled the soleus muscle in my calf because the muscle had shorted due to limping, and had to wear a boot for a few weeks, that was a set back!
I take a pain med as needed, usually one at night, but not every night.
Cabin fever and depression hit hard, and watching TV all day is driving me nuts! I has terrified of slipping on ice, now that winter has finally come to New England.
Most recently, within the past few days, I have been having weird sensations in the knee, not quite pain, but not fun either. Muscle spasms? Not cramping or charlie horse, more like when your eyelid twitches...also a feeling like someone hit a tuning fork, but it is your knee, that kind of vibration.
But at this point I am having more good days than bad!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom