Guest viewing is limited

PKR Help! Continued pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a partial. An I have some pain. But the bone scan is not that bad. Have some one go with you. Ask you doc to give u some medicane to relax you. I will be praying for ya.


SonnysWife❤️
 
Sonny'sWife Thanks for encouragement about bonescan. Is it a tube that goes over head? When I looked up pictures, it looked like an MRI machine---tried that once and freaked. When did you have your partial? I saw in your signature line that you had a total earlier this month? How are you doing?
 
@forever39, I really have no words of wisdom for you, but hope you can get to the bottom of this soon. You're right about surgeons not wanting anything to do with another one's work so soon. My son broke his arm on vacation once and I had a tough time finding an ortho who would treat him upon our return home. Sounds like you need some answers and may have to tough it out with the bone scan. Please let us know what you decide....we're here for you!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Lovestoread, Thanks for listening. I am struggling through and keep telling myself there is something to be learned from this.
 
@RedRider, So sorry I never got back to you last month about what kind of implant I have. I couldn't seem to log in, then life happened, complete with pain. I am embarrassed to admit, I have no idea. Nor do I know if kneecap was resurfaced. Given that my surgeon won't talk to me, I may never know. I should know these things, shouldn't I. Here I thought I was well informed and educated. How are you doing? Sounds like you're getting back to normal. I'm jealous and glad for you at the same time. Hope your holidays are great.
 
Sonny'sWife Thanks for encouragement about bonescan. Is it a tube that goes over head? When I looked up pictures, it looked like an MRI machine---tried that once and freaked. When did you have your partial? I saw in your signature line that you had a total earlier this month? How are you doing?
[Bonesmart.org] Help! Continued pain
[Bonesmart.org] Help! Continued pain
[Bonesmart.org] Help! Continued pain


This is the bone scanner. It's ok it's not bad I promise. I messed up on the line when I found this sight. I just had a partial. I so far I'm 27 days post opp. I'm doing ok. Little pain ache. More at night. And my replacement is start to pop. But I hope u are doing ok to.





SonnysWife❤️
 
@Sonny'sWife Oh, thank u so much for pictures. I hope it's like the photos and not the video. I had a bone density test last year and it looked like the photos. I'll be fine if it's like that. I just can't handle something over my head or closed on sides.
 
I'm not sure what you mean exactly by a 'bone scan'. If you are talking about an MRI they do have open MRI machines around town. I had had a closed one when I was having a lot of neck pain and I tell you, that will NEVER happen again. If it hadn't been for being so desperate to find out what was wrong I would have jumped out of that thing. Anyway, when I had to have an MRI for my knee I demanded an open MRI. I ended up going to a hospital on the east side of Indy off of Shadeland I think it was. Community Hospital if I remember right. It was a long drive for me but worth it to have the open MRI. Having said all that I'm not sure what an MRI would tell them about your implant that can't be seen on x-ray but really, I'm not expert, ha!

I'm sorry you're still having pain. Your OS sounds like a complete jerk! I can't imagine him being so unconcerned. So, you still have to go have this bone scan and find out results of your blood test to rule out infection? Is that about right? I hope you are able to get some answers.
 
I know there is different type of scans. But I know the bone scan is open. I wish you the best luck.


SonnysWife❤️
 
Haven't been on here in a while; trouble logging in and dealing with lots of pain. Changed my title in hopes of finding help. I am now almost 12 weeks post partial left knee replacement and still having sharp pain at about a 6 to 7 with weight bearing. Still icing and elevating due to swelling. The pain is at location of implant, inside part of knee. It's painful to touch area and I've been unable to sleep in bed as I can't sleep on back and can't stand other knee or pillow to touch surgery knee pain area. At 8 weeks called ortho who refused to see me; said he did a great job with surgery and I was fine. Had a scheduled appointment with family doctor who observed I was limping and suggested I see therapist. Therapist evaluated and said I needed to see ortho surgeon, even faxed notes to the surgeon. Again surgeon would not see me. His nurse said I should not be seeing a physical therapist; I would be fine. Well, I saw therapist again, but we didn't do anything beyond mild extension (1) and bending (112) and walking, standing. Pain still there. And while the bending and extension is ok, I still have pain at about a 3 while doing. Therapist recommended seeing another ortho; family doctor agreed; I did. New ortho asked for original surgeon's name and when I shared, he smiled, commented that he wouldn't handle his practice in such a manner, and immediately took x-rays. He also indicated that I should probably not have had a partial due to my weight. The implant is in place, but new ortho commented that he had been taught to not have an overhang. (It appears that the bottom plate is slightly beyond my bone. {?}) Doctor also ordered blood work and a bone scan to rule out infection. He was professionally evasive---seems there's an unwritten rule about checking out another surgeon's work before 3 months. Sorry about long post, but I am in worse pain than I ever was before surgery. There's no such thing as walking without pain. I'm using a cane and now having right hip/lower back pain--probably fueled by the compensatory efforts with surgery knee. I waited 8 years to have surgery, and thought I had chosen a good doctor. Anyone else had this? Can implant be causing this pain? Should I do bone scan---my one psycho fear is tight places---even have trouble in elevators. For those who've had revisions, does this sound familiar?

@Jamie @Josephine
Please can you advise?
 
surgeon would not see me. His nurse said I should not be seeing a physical therapist; I would be fine. Well, I saw therapist again, but we didn't do anything beyond mild extension (1) and bending (112) and walking, standing. Pain still there.
Then why did you see a therapist when he said not to? In my opinion, this therapy after TKR is very over-rated. I did very little (all right - none!) and had a really good outcome. This "window of opportunity" is a total myth and my surgeon has never subscribed to it. He has an excellent record of good outcomes and very rarely has to do MUAs.

Have you cut back on your exercising as I suggested?
He also indicated that I should probably not have had a partial due to my weight. The implant is in place, but new ortho commented that he had been taught to not have an overhang. (It appears that the bottom plate is slightly beyond my bone. {?})
Well, some surgeons think that but there is no real evidence to support it. But everyone's entitled to their own opinion!

The overhang usually indicates the surgeon hasn't chosen quite the right size of implant for your knee but this may or may nor be a problem. Lots of people with overhangs have no symptoms at all. The jury is very much out on whether it is of any consequence or not.

Here is quite a bad example of overhang

[Bonesmart.org] Help! Continued pain



He was professionally evasive---seems there's an unwritten rule about checking out another surgeon's work before 3 months.
There is if you see one who is likely to be golfing buddies with your surgeon. A true 'second opinion' is someone who has no acquaintance with your present surgeon.
 
I also would never have an MRI scan in the traditional 'donut' type machine. I'd go nuts! Instead, I've been sent to a unit that has an open scanner which is similar to those portrayed above. I've also had a bone scan and that's not so different from having a straight xray.
 
@gr82cu2 I hear ya with closed MRI. Had one years ago and freaked. You're right, Community does have an open sided MRI. I don't have problems with tube over my lower half. But to have something inches from my nose----well, I just can't do it. Apparently the bone scanner is similar, even includes a dye injected. Found an article here on bonesmart that described exactly what I was told. (Yeah Bonesmart!) I don't know if I will do if it is a tube type. Was requested by new ortho to rule out deep bone infection. I don't think I have an infection, even though my regular doctor did feel I had a surface level infection at about 3 weeks and prescribed another round of antibiotics. I think I would have fever or drainage or something, wouldn't I? Yes, OS is less than ideal, to be nice. Sad, too. Because he is well known and came highly recommended. I have this weird feeling he is just pioneering partials in the area; he really pushed me to do one. I know that there are a percentage of patients for whom procedures have issues. I just wish he would be more concerned or offer explanations. Thanks for support.
 
If you had a bone scan of your knee, I can't imagine that you would need to have your whole body inside the scanner.
 
@Sonny'sWife Have you had a bone scan? They are not the same as a bone density test. They are part of the nuclear medicine program; I will be injected with dye; test will take several hours. I definitely hope you are right. Hospital hasn't scheduled it yet. I'm guessing January. Will keep you posted.
 
My script says whole body scan. Based on what I was told and what I've read here on bonesmart, it seems they inject dye, do some scanning, wait couple of hours, then scan more. I am so not looking forward to this, and may not do.
 
Good to hear from you Josephine. Sounds like you're going to be dealing with all this knee stuff soon. Sending you good thoughts and speedy recovery. I saw therapist at my regular doctor's recommendation, because my gait was so bad and I had begun to have significant back, hip, right knee pain. She just wanted an opinion. I didn't really do therapy in the way patients often do, more evaluative in nature. Yes, I cut back on exercises a long time ago, and it did help. But this pain at surgery site, upon weight bearing, has been there from the moment I started walking, and hasn't stopped. It is distinctly different from the surgery pain. When sitting for short periods and when knee elevated, I'm pain free with no meds. I wouldn't think a manipulation would be suggested because I can bend and extend; stiff, yes, but not impossible. I've read that partials are very susceptible to incorrect placement, and that they can impinge on soft tissue. At this point in recovery, I know I should be doing better. Walked through a store before Christmas, and almost didn't make it back to car. No way I could walk around block for exercise or pleasure.

My surgeon is well known. I'd have to go way out of state for someone not to know who he is. The x-ray you showed actually looks a lot like the one taken by my 2nd opinion surgeon. Did that person have to do a revision? I was surprised 2nd opinion doc took x-ray, as I was told when scheduling appointment he wouldn't. I was to have x-ray of hip and other knee as they have gotten pretty painful as well. Not that I'm planning surgery on them in the near future. Was getting baseline info for if/when I need them replaced. Was also checking out the surgeon.

Glad to hear your bone scan was easy. Hoping for the same. Did the injected dye give you a headache? I've heard sometimes it does. The scan information you copied on here is exactly the way the procedure was described to me. Thanks for more great info.

Thanks again for all you do. Bonesmart is a great site.
 
Well I know there open. But in different places there machines may be different. Sorry if I have told you wrong. But I had one and it was the table. I was injected with die to. See they do this in ky to see if your strong enough to get knee replacement. And then they do mri to detect the problem. And then use mri for placement and wary day of to see what places metal fit. Xxxx best luck.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I know this must be terribly frustrating and a bit scary for you (well, maybe more than just a bit!). It's unnerving to have trusted a surgeon and then be basically blown off like you were. But I think it's important for you to stay calm and go with what the new surgeon is suggesting, providing you have full faith and confidence in him.

Once you get to that 3 month mark and he makes a diagnosis (it's really not that far away), then my suggestion for you would be to get another opinion from a truly independent surgeon. If that means you need to travel out of Indiana, then do it. You need to be sure that whatever surgeon you are working with is a skilled revision surgeon. Even if you don't need a revision, these are the doctors who see problem cases primarily and are much better equipped to properly determine a course of action. I can help you find someone if you provide me your zip code.
 
I had something like that done with the dye. I can't remember now if it was for my liver or my gall bladder, LOL! It was a pain in the neck. First they did the scan before injecting the dye and then they would do scans every so often as the dye worked it's way through. It did take 2 or 3 hours as I recall. Good luck on getting your answers.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom