Guest viewing is limited

TKR Hello from the UK!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carol, you are 66.
patient 99
Hmmm.... Still have lots of quality years to look forward to, if you choose to look at it that way! Every day you put off knee replacement s because of the what ifs, the what might happen, etc. is another day that has you in the cycle of pain! I know that not everyone has great outcomes, but a lot do, and like Mutley, those of us that had complications or didn't heal as fast as the wonder kids, choose to be thankful anyway! Mutley, I am so glad you got a cancer free report. :happydance: I have the same family problems and they have already found polyps precancerous in my stomach and my colon. They got them, and life goes on! I am happy, getting healthier all the time, and loving every minute of life. None of us are ever promised a tomorrow, so I live the best today I can! :happydance:
 
Every day you put off knee replacement s because of the what ifs
I think we are at cross purposes. I wouldn't put off knee replacement ever. As soon as I got bone on bone pain I was off to the GP, referred to OS and 6 weeks later it was done. It is taking longer to recover than I expected, and from an earlier message to you, you will know that it worries me. But my view, nonetheless, is that my knee now has a chance to get better, the other way it would have most definitely got worse. My right knee isn't giving me pain yet, and I hope it holds up until the left one recovers. But when the time comes there will be no stalling.

those of us that had complications or didn't heal as fast as the wonder kids, choose to be thankful anyway!

I wonder if you have a strong religious belief? I think it must be a great help to people that do. I am thankful to my family for caring for me and I am thankful to those on BS who have helped me so much. Are we on the same page? Carol
 
@patient99,

Yes, I do have strong religious beliefs, my question to you would be do you believe in the power of taking it easy when your body tells you you need to? My kneecap issues were not resolving, so I "thought" push harder push faster never give in! I will have to admit, and if you have read anything about my story you would already know, I AM NOT one of the more rest and icing is good people. Well, until this kneecap kept getting worse, and I found if I quit working out, threw some ice on the sucker and actually slowed down like the BoneSmart Mantra says, then my knee would behave! Having Michelle SHOW me how I was walking helped immensely also. I am walking straight for the first time in 7 years and I am really feeling great!
 
my question to you would be do you believe in the power of taking it easy
I do. Even if I didn't I would have no choice. By 6pm my knee doesn't function at all. I have to take to my bed (that's where I am now). I have struggled from the word go to find the right balance. When I said I overdid it the other day by doing housework. Believe me it wasn't much. I am 6 months out and I don't think it would be good for the rest of my body if I sat in a chair or stayed in bed all day. It doesn't matter what I do or don't do the pattern is the same.
Tolerable at best up to 5pm/6pm when it hurts too much to walk. I have to go to bed. Once I am in bed the pain stops - I am hugely thankful for that. But so worried.

I am walking straight for the first time in 7 years and I am really feeling great!

I am really pleased for you. I know you have had it tough. Carol
 
Carol,

I have had a rough road, but I still tried to make the choice to do the best I could each day! My Dad died at the age of 52 due to Brain Cancer. I have so many family members with cancer that I never know if/when my time could be. That is why a silly thing like a knee "problem" is put into perspective for me! I never know how many days I will have, but I will "Live Strong" in honor of my Dad every day! I loved him very much. I knew the risks but I had the pain. I had infection, now I am on the other side living life again! If it turns out that eventually they have to remove the patella so be it! I will get through that also! Carol, the point is, Never let yourself give up! 6 months is not that long! People have tremendous improvement even a year after their replacement! You are a fighter, but save some of that energy and the knee will be happier. Are you doing heel slides or anything gentle like that? Do you have a recumbent bike?
 
Rest assured, what a FAB phrase/saying :-
" None of us are ever promised a tomorrow so live the best you can today"

I'm going to use that from now on always being a " Glass half empty" type of girl :)
 
Hi Sheila & thank you for your reply! Wow! Well done on your 2nd new knee! I sincerely hope you continue to make such excellent progress. I had an MUA about 9 weeks post op & when I woke up the pain was WORSE than having the actual TKR :sad: Also, that's when the pain in my thigh really started to act up & it hasn't stopped since! Again, I'm so glad yours has been a success & your feeling the benefit from having had it done! Mauritius, how FABULOUS! I went to the Maldives about 3 years ago & that was lovely APART from the long flight there & back!!!! At least you have something to look forward to & aim to get that knee on track in time to enjoy your holiday!

Rest assured you will get an update...at 10 months...then 11 THEN at a YEAR!
Take good care of yourself & those knees! Jaki x
 
Hi Mutley. Just read your update and so sorry its still not positive about your knee. Even after your MUA its never improved has it. Mine is not brilliant concerning ROM but I seem to be coping a little better than you. I really hope things improve up to the twelve month mark. It sometimes does so dont give up. As for your cancer scare. WOW had no idea. Sorry you had to go thru that as well. Typical woman you just get on with things. I have a friend whos cancer has just come back very aggressively for the third time and it really does put things into perspective. Even so this long and slow recovery you are having is still so unfair. I am literally dreading knee number 2 getting done. Im not prepared mentally or physically. Hope you are feeling better very soon and your lovely family are still supporting you. Sending you hugs. Take care :friends:
 
Rest assured, what a FAB phrase/saying :-
" None of us are ever promised a tomorrow so live the best you can today"

I'm going to use that from now on always being a " Glass half empty" type of girl :)

I just realized we are the same age! I look forward to your reports! You can do it! It is hard but I am proud of the determination that you are putting back into it! :happydance:
 
Josephine...HELP :sad: 9 months post op & still suffering I'm afraid to say. Have had the replacement checked & x-rayed by my surgeon & he is happy with it, but I knew that WASN'T the problem. The on-going problem is still pain which can be either in the groin, a large area on the outside lower thigh, inside of knee where I previously had pain from a torn meniscus. This was trimmed back prior to the TKR, plus extreme pain down the front of my Tibia. I also get pain either directly above or below the knee. Night times can be the worse & yet again turning over can cause quite a few expletives to leave my mouth :tantrum: Walking the dogs is rarely a pleasant experience & often I have to find a log to sit on while I rub various sore spots or do lunges & straightening exercises to allow me to continue my walk. I take the odd Ibuprofen but they don't do anything & as I'm allergic to virtually most pain meds the is NO RELIEF to these symptoms. I'm afraid I don't agree that this is " still nerve & soft tissue" damage, however no-one seems to know what it is or WHAT TO DO. In the words of a GP recently " I don't know what you want me to say"!!!! I can honestly say I'm not sure how much more of this I can put up with. Any suggestions or recommendations that maybe I could share with my Doctor would be most gratefully received. Thank you......
 
Okay, let's start from the beginning with the 'interrogation'!

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine)

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how often are you icing your knee and for how long?

4. how high are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?

5. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

6. what kind of PT are you doing? How much and how often?



To start with, can you tell the the exact location of your pain using these charts?

Each square needs the number for the row (horizontal) and the column (vertical) to identify it. Also say if it's front or back on the knee one.

When you've done all that, I'll come back and talk with you some more.

[Bonesmart.org] Hello from the UK!


[Bonesmart.org] Hello from the UK!
 
Josephine If I'm sitting on the sofa not moving probably a 0, however I get a sudden jolt of pain that is like a lightening bolt that is probably an 8-9. Having said that I currently have a deep ache in my shin bone about 6-7
During the night I would say the pain is a consistent 8-9.

No medication prescribed due to allergic reactions. Ibuprofen sometimes 4x daily 400mgs each. They don't do a thing.

I ice maybe once or twice a day normally after walking the mutts. Not for swelling but just to ease the discomfort. Again, doesn't really do anything but mentally I feel like I'm doing something.

I don't really elevate but when icing my leg is up on the sofa. Maybe for 15-20 minutes.

At 9 months I think you assume (well, everyone else does!) that you're " fixed" therefore life resumes. I do everything that needs doing. Walk the dogs for an hour, shopping, housework, washing, ironing, currently packing up my house as we are moving. Walk the dogs again! Cooking. I'm also the company secretary for our business so do all the accounts as well...sitting down! I do also get plenty of time to sit on my bum watching rubbish on the tv too :)

PT is 1-2 hours of dog walking, stationary bike even 5-10 minutes a day just to keep the knee moving. Stair lunges & basic post op exercises if I can be bothered. Again, at 9 months I feel general " running around" all day is enough PT.

OK, THIGH PAIN- D-R1F-BR1 can be 2 different areas or run from top to bottom
Tibula - DEF-R2 &R3 pain sometimes runs into top of foot, currently it's making my ankle ache & the bottom of my foot tingle.
Inside knee pain- R4D
Above front knee pain-C R2 & R3
Below front knee pain-D R2 & R3

Just to add, I've also had a trapped nerve in the back of my left leg, between my bottom & knee. This now makes driving or sitting down for a while extremely uncomfortable. I think this happened after being given a spinal anaesthetic during the TKR. Obviously I can't prove this but it seems strange that I've never had a problem before.

Phew! I think that's it! I've looked up previous suggestions about CRPS & similar but didn't think I had enough symptoms to justify it being a consideration, especially knowing I can't take any recommended medications to try & help it :sad:
 
Jaki, Sure hope you get some answers. Perhaps moving to a new area is a good thing. You can start afresh with a new GP. If you do decide you want a second opinion The Horder Centre is a centre of excellence for knees and I know they see many referrals - because of their reputation. Its in East Sussex. Its probably about an hour's drive from Worthing.

I suppose it is possible that it has nothing to do with your TKR. If that were the case, then perhaps seeing a generalist is more appropriate. If you just keep plugging away at it, then some things can be ruled out. Which means that eventually they will identify the problem(s). I do hope you continue to persevere, because if you do I feel certain you will get to the bottom of this. xxCarol
 
however I get a sudden jolt of pain that is like a lightening bolt that is probably an 8-9. Having said that I currently have a deep ache in my shin bone about 6-7 During the night I would say the pain is a consistent 8-9.
I would stake my frilly hat on that being a nerve related thing.
No medication prescribed due to allergic reactions. Ibuprofen sometimes 4x daily 400mgs each. They don't do a thing.
If ibu does nothing why take it? It's dangerous enough without taking it for no good reason. Why don't you take paracetamol instead? NSAIDs, paracetamol differences and dangers.

You could also try using a TENS machines or chiropractic treatment or even Elmore oil (see thread in Social Room).
at 9 months I feel general " running around" all day is enough PT.
I couldn't agree more! After 7/8 months, I would suggest you quit all 'exercises' as you're just aggravating the situation. You're active enough as it is.

So the sites of your pain look like this, yes?

As I said this looks like a nerve related pattern and possibly caused by femoral nerve blocks.
The bit in R1F area could be Trochanteric bursitis.

[Bonesmart.org] Hello from the UK!


These pain spots while possibly connected to the above, could be as simple as tendinitis above and below the patella (pre-patellar and supra-patellar tendons) and are invariably caused by too much activity such as using a stationary bike. Those are my guesses, anyway.

[Bonesmart.org] Hello from the UK!
 
Hi Jaki, how are you today? You've gone quiet. That could be good or it could be bad. Just give me a sign. G if you are fine or B if bad will suffice. :scary:
 
Went to the cinema tonight...the most torturous 2.5 hours to be sitting & watching a film with a crappy leg :sad: Thank god the OH booked the seats with an extra inch of leg room otherwise I would have been kicking the seats of the poor people in front. It was ALMOST like I was trying to impersonate Kenny Everett...but it WASN'T funny...GGRRRRR :hissy:
So enough about me, how are YOU????
 
Mutley, I absolutely feel for you. :console2: I sincerely hope you find out what is causing your pain. I imagine the not knowing what in the world it is, and your OS raving over your x-rays is not helping. I saw your comment on another thread about being miserable at the cinema. :sorry:

It reminded me of a time before my surgery when I was in the theater. I was slightly uncomfortable while watching the movie but it got much worse once the movie ended. I dreaded standing up, as it was hard to get out of my seat. When I did finally get up I could barely move. My legs were painfully stiff and not working properly. I remember thinking, "What's wrong? :cry: This can't be right. I'm too young for this to be happening."

As I started moving towards the isle elderly people were "dusting" me. (leaving me in their dust! :heehee: ) They did a little stretch, took a minute to loosen up and then they were on their way. While I stood there trying to convince my feet to navigate the small steps. I will never forget that. :boohoo: I'm crying now just thinking about it. I can only hope that one day the pain you're experiencing will be a memory and you can go back to the cinema and enjoy a show.... make it a comedy! :friends:
 
Had to post Mutley as you are not alone in the cinema pain! Went to see "About Time" - the new Richard Curtis film on Friday. The leg was a bit achy throughout the film - thank god for sitting on the end where I could stick it out straight. But when it came to standing up to leave - OMG I just couldn't move. My experience was similar to Bionic Womans except hers was before surgery!! I hobbled out really slowly and in agony and was overtaken by people 20 years older than me. I was really depressed after - I am 3 months out of TKR, 3 weeks out of MUA/Arthroscopy - but I think I should be better than this.
Have been following your journey with interest :thankyou:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom