Guest viewing is limited

TKR Hello from the UK!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry Carol but have had a bit of " The good, the bad & the ugly" to deal with :sad: Currently on a detox from alcohol because although it goes down nicely at the time it invariably leads to arguments, upsets & lots of crying...& I don't like seeing my husband cry :heehee: Truthfully, it's not such a good mix with hot weather, Ibuprofen & Amitryptiline. It makes my mouth talk too much about how much I hate my leg, my life & YES! Even my blooming husband sometimes. Was supposed to be having the blood tests tomorrow but it's daughter No2's Graduation ( she qualified as a nurse earlier in the year & now works on the Acute Medical Ward in Chichester) & she's now informed me we need to be at Guildford Catherdral much earlier than I thought we had to be...Kids! So, seeing my surgeon on Friday & the nurse for blood tests next Monday now.
I'm very pleased to hear you say you have been feeling a lot better recently! :) Something good at last! Can't believe that YOU are frightened of putting a frock on??? What's the problem? I wear my shorts to Asda, just have to keep pulling the legs down a bit in case I start displaying a camels bum! I'm not worried about showing my scar, I just haven't quite made up a good enough story to explain it if anyone asks how I got it? Fight with an escaped tiger maybe or tripped over my own shoe lace??? As for footwear I can sympathise. My knee doesn't like anything too flat like a plimpsol type trainer. I'm better in a working mans type boot...typically! I'm not really a heels type person & since having the (2!) fusions of the left big toe it's hard to find a nice looking shoe that I can get my fat foot into. Tomorrow at the graduation I will wear some flat " ballet" type shoes & try & squash my fat feet into a slim fitting pair of heels...just for any photo opportunity...& also because all 3 of my girls are now so much taller than me! :gaah: So, on that note I must go & prepare a wonderful meal for my daughter & boyfriend...salad! Then later it will be a show & CRY session when I realize the 7lbs I thought I was going to lose really WOULD have made a difference in the 2 remaining outfits I have left to wear tomorrow...Doh! :boohoo:
 
Hoping to enjoy it but with only a 2 hour flight to Chicago and then 2 hour drive to Madison, it shouldn't be too bad. We chose to fly drive rather to change planes in Chicago, because that is such a hassle.
The drive between O'Hare Airport and Madison is usually not too bad except for the fact that it's now one lane in each direction between Elgin & Rockford. For me, it often takes as long to get from my house to O'Hare as it does from O'Hare to Rockford, especially during rush hour (and I live quite north of downtown). You'd likely have spent just as much time and more money navigating the corridors, waiting for a puddle-jumper to Madison, flying the half-hour and then dealing with baggage claim! Until this TKR I was commuting fairly regularly between here & Madison for rehearsals (my singing partner lives there).
 
Hi Jaki, So pleased to hear from you. But beneath the light chat, the message has more than a ring of sadness about it.

Husbands are usually the first ones to cop for it when you are exhausted, in pain and very down. At the very best of times they can try one's patience (even the good guys). Its because they are from Mars and we are from Venus. This Friday and next Monday aren't that far away now. Keeping my fingers crossed that you get a diagnosis that will lead to your getting the right treatment.

I am wracking my brain to think what you might do to make it a bit easier in the meantime - especially now that alcohol is off the agenda. Could you perhaps write down all the things you really, really like. Discard the ones that you can't do for whatever reason. Look at what's left and do them ALL. Even if its something small like getting your husband to give you breakfast in bed.

I know, Jaki, I am clutching at straws, but if you can replace the tears with laughter, if just for a short time, it will help a lot. This morning I was waiting at the top of my road for my sister. I was feeling a bit fed up. The postman came by. 5 mins later he came back and I was still waiting on the corner. He said `business a bit slow today darlin' '. I thanked him for the compliment and told him he had made my day. We both had a laugh. And I didn't feel nearly as fed up. ( Bet he wouldn't have implied I was up for it if I had shown him my knee. )

I am going to stop now. I don't want to go on and on. I'll pick up on the other things in your message a bit later. Take care. x Carol
 
Thanks for the info. We're driving to Chicago in the morning then spending night with some friends there, so we'll be much closer to O'Hare. I had wheelchair service and it worked out beautifully, and we're doing the same thing on the way back - back to Houston where it's even more hot and humid. Hope your recovery continues to go well.

Dorothy
 
patient 99 and Mutley. Thank you for your posts to each other. They really do cheer me up. Sorry I know they are sad sometimes but you always see the funny side of things and I see a great friendship developing. Keep it up. You make me smile.
 
Hi Pat, if we make you smile a lot there may be a small charge. Say 20pence for a very big laugh going down to 2pence for a smirk. It may seem a lot, but don't forget Josephine @ Co. will want their cut and Mutley's got 2 large dogs, a cat, tortoise and several other things to feed - none of this comes cheap. Carol
 
Hi Jaki, picking up on the other things in your message. You must be very proud of your daughter becoming a nurse. There really does seem to be a career path for nurses these days. The nurse prescribers at my surgery seem to have equal status with the doctors.

On the matter of frocks. I don't like wearing frocks, unless they are calf length, not just because of the scar but the whole leg isn't up to much. The one next to it isn't much better either. My consolation is that there are loads of people with great legs, but mine are unique - horrible, but unique. You go to ASDA in shorts! RESPECT.

Hope the graduation wasn't too tiring and that you enjoyed yourself. xx C
 
Can I have some credit please. Ive just laughed my socks off at your last two posts
 
Was trying to put laughing smilies on but they dont work with my ipad. Why is that.
 
Right, update & make of it what you will...
On the plus side:-
Cannot fault the service I've received yet again from my surgeon's secretary, my surgeon & the hospital. With-in an hour of arriving for my appointment I had seen my surgeon, got sent off for x-rays & was back with my surgeon again! Quicker than a weekly shop in Asda on a Friday night :)
Still on the plus side my surgeon is very happy with the replacement & doesn't feel any of my LONG LIST of symptoms are anything to do with the replacement per-say.

On the negative side :-
He thinks I'm still suffering from a lot of soft tissue & nerve damage especially around the knee. Unfortunately everything your advised to do
To make things better seem to be aggravating my knee. He reckoned it was still swollen :scratch: where as I think it's just an ugly, odd shaped knee! Quite how soft tissue damage can cause such pain in the shin bone & directly below the knee I'm not too sure???
He also had my hip x-rayed & surprise, surprise good old arthiritus has crept in there too :sad: He thinks this is where all the groin problems are coming from...Not so sure about that myself :scratch:
Conclusion :-
Basically knee replacement all good, hip a bit crappy & NO I wouldn't even discuss the notion of how long before a hip replacement is needed! Keep up with current regime of dog walking, stationary bike, a few exercises etc. Try & find some pain relief that may help ( maybe I'll find the winning lottery numbers at the same time :) ) and basically HOPE that in TIME with shed loads more PATIENCE, these issues will resolve themselves........ :skep:
Not entirely sure how I'm feeling at the moment. Obviously pleased that the replacement is ok but still have the problem of on-going pain & aches that are resistant to pain relief yet I have to try & just " put up with it"????

P.S I did momentarily forget all my problems while helping myself to the last Almond Magnum ice cream...but I've finished it now... :sad:
P.P.S another positive! My ROM was about 110 :yes!: but the extension was about 10 :sad:

That's it folks.....
 
Well done on the 110 ROM, Jaki.

I'm with Pat, I love reading yours and Carol's posts. They are so funny, well parts of them where you're not suffering. Keep up the banter, love it :rotfl: :loll: :rofsign:
 
Hi Jaki, I've been waiting all day for your report. Now I've read it I'm left feeling a bit like you must feel - mixed up. There are undoubtedly some very good things. King being TKR looks good and flexion is good. When I think about it more, that's pretty much what was expected. Although I was surprised that the OS said you still had internal swelling some 8 mths after the op. But he must know what he is talking about. And there is a positive to that. It means you are still in recovery - its not the end of the road.

You have eliminated some important things. Now what will the blood tests show? Also I wonder if its worth discussing alternative treatments with your GP eg, acupuncture. Some GPs are a bit sniffy about alternatives, but it might be worth looking into - as long as they are GP approved.

My knee is very bad today. The thought of MUA is beginning to seem attractive - anything if it will get me walking again.

Not the best of days Jaki for both of us. But tomorrow..................................xx Carol
 
I took the mutts out this afternoon with a different mindset...there is nothing wrong with your knee! I adopted the heel, toe way of walking, stood up straight & stomped on...looking out for sunbathing snakes along the way! Uuummmm, definitely need to be preoccupied with other thoughts, so choose Johnny Wilkinson to accompany me on my walk :yes!: Well, I still looked like a bit of a clown but only a tiny bit of thigh pain. & a BIG smile on my face :) ( Didn't realise Johnny could be so saucy!) have decided to give paracetamol a go as the Ibuprofen don't appear to do anything for me.
Enough about me & my crappy bones! Now, MUA...NO! I really do not believe that an MUA will sort out your tight band feeling, in fact I reckon you will come out WORSE :sad: I had the thigh pains after the TKR but have to be honest, this all got worse after the MUA for whatever reason. So, I say plough on with the exercises, do lots of massage in that area & when you get to see your surgeon question him as to how an MUA will resolve these issues. You must remember that I had the thigh issues & the MUA & I still have the thigh issues....sorry, lost my train of thought. My husband just asked the following :- " Would you like a cup of tea?".... HELLO! It's Friday, it's 8.15pm, do you REALLY think I want a cup of TEA?????
Anyway, CHEERS everybody & thank goodness for the tasty red grape number from California :dancy: :happydance: :yay: :happydance: :spin: :whistle: :martini:
 
P.S Carol I'm sorry your knee is being Male today but show it who's boss & tomorrow will be a whole different story! Xxx
 
Excuse me. I thought the grape, the barley and the sweaty socks were off the agenda. That's my girl.
 
Jaki, Thanks for giving it to me straight on what you think about the MUA. Points noted. C
 
No problem although I'm NOT a SURGEON & he's the guy you need to speak too :)
I thought a detox was 24 hours? I think I've managed about 26 :yes!: my socks after the dog walk however were pretty minging :loll:
 
Johnny Wilkinson? as in the rugby player? What does he have to say that's worth listening to? Is this where you inform me that you used to play and are hoping to get back to it? Those shorts you wear to ASDA, is the matching top white with a rose on by any chance.
 
He doesn't have to SAY anything :whistle:
No flies on you Carol although as far as Rugby is concerned I'd only be selected for cutting up the oranges at half time :heehee:
How are you & your knee today?
Am I the only person PLEASED that the sun hasn't come out today??? My house is in need of a good hover...not sure I can stretch to polishing as well though!
 
I hope this works! Just wanted to share with my Bonesmart friends a picture of my 3 girls, taken at Roni's graduation on Wednesday! The one on the left is Kaidee & the one on the right is Andi :)...Oh yes! And that's one of me, Moaning Mutley with Roni!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Hello from the UK!
    image.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 186
  • [Bonesmart.org] Hello from the UK!
    image.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 186
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom