Guest viewing is limited

TKR Hello from the UK!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Mutley,
Thanks for your good wishes about our new house, Just keep your fingers and toes crossed for us that this house sells right away. What a week it has been. Now I know how those who are back at work at this stage after TKR feel. We have driven back and forth three timess, an hour each way, walked all over, signed a conract, then came home rushed around getting this one ready to go on the market. Of course, my husband has done most of the work. I'm back in bed whilst he is cleaning out the pantry. Oh and we went to the design center yesterday, where we found beautiful granite, wood flooring, and cabinetry. I love decorating so that was great fun. How are you doing Mutley? Hope you'ree starting to fel some improvement. Does your move take place anytime soon? My knee seems to be doing better. I haven't been exercising much, but had myofascial release (gentle) and lymphatic massage Tuesdday. It's really helping IMO - you might look it up. I feel it's more like manal PT than massage. I do do my heel slides and some stretches but am terrified of getting bac on the bike.

Hi Pat I tried the water last week and didn't find it comfortable at all. As far as PT and ROM goes, I have stopped worring about it. My massage therapist works on people right out of TKR, and he agreed that my PT had been too agressigve. He showed me some new stretches, and agreed that as we go on with life the ROM will continue to improve. This is not meant to discount anyone with problems which can exist and need special attention. By the way Pat, tell your husband there is plenty of booze in Houston. Plenty of heat too. Maybe you should come in 2017 when Houston hosts the Super Bowl. It's already a big party town but many people come during the Super Bowl festivities.
 
Patt99 I'm sure your ample cleavage would have kept your head above water! Failing that, you could have put a boob under each arm & have your own set of floats :wink: I'm glad you had a good pt session though. Have you asked if there are any NHS hydrotherapy pools about that you could have a couple of sessions in? When I say "Band work" I mean using one of those stretchy Dyna bands to do various exercises. I'm sure Rosemary Connely started it off all those moons ago! Simple lunges on the stairs is good & then get your TKR leg up 2 stairs if that makes sense?!! I also have a piece of wood on wheels ( like a small version of a skateboard) which I just push backwards & forwards with the TKR foot on it. All simple but just keeps things moving :) Anyway, wishing you a lovely weekend! Going to try taking the dogs out for a 2nd walk in one day! :puppysmooze: I'm sure the dogs will appreciate it but not so sure about my knee!
 
Hi Mutley, big laugh re your reference to my bosom. Did your mummy never tell you that you should not mock the afflicted. It seems the hydrotherapy pools are for people much worse off than me (there actually are some). I am not really a water baby, so I'm not too upset. Its just that if I hear of something I think can help, I feel duty bound to try it. Your exercises sound very similar to mine. Instead of the wood on wheels I have something that looks like a donut and a bit of hardboard to help it slide. My heel goes on the donut and I bend my knee as far as it will go, hold it, then use my hand to push it a little more. I was given a dyna band, but for some reason haven't used it.

I had a really big fright last night. I decided to apply the ice pack to the back of my TKR - never done that before. I then got up and went to the sink. That's as far as I got. I got screaming nerve pain just behind my knee. Mike, my husband, has to almost carry me back to the sofa. For the rest of the night it was really painful. So bad I thought I might have to go to Accident & Emergency. I was panicking, not sure if it was the ice pack that had caused it or something else. Any way its been OK today, although I am taking things very carefully. Mike is making the evening meal. It wont be good, but I don't much care.

You haven't said of late how you're doing. Is the fact that you are going to walk the dogs twice a day a positive indicator? I heard on the TV that UK house prices are on the rise again(or may be that was just London). It can be a pain when trying to sell, you have to keep the place looking tidy ALL the time. In this slow market we've decided that when it comes to us selling, we wont try and do the sell and buy as part of one operation. Rather we will sell, move into rented (furniture in store) and then with cash on our hip go house hunting. Not so easy though if you have chickens, dogs etc. Hope your chain is holding. And hope you have a good week end too.Pat99

ps: I have already had my alcohol allowance for the day, and we haven't sat down to eat yet. Life can be so cruel.
 
turtle68 Hi Dorothy I always like your positiveness. Houston in 2017. I find it hard to think 6 months ahead. My TKR plays games with my time line. I am about 16wks post op, but it feels like a life time. Was there life before TKR. Will there be life after it? I looked at myofasical release on UTube. Some of the videos made very big claims as to effectiveness. But if its working for you that's what counts. You sure its not the chap giving the massage that you're taken with?? How hot does it actually get in Houston? No doubt its all made comfortable with good AC. Although all the AC systems I've come across are really noisy. We were in Bermuda a few years ago. We had to have the AC on all night. What with the noise it made, coupled with the noise from the tree frogs it was hard to sleep. But we could certainly do with some decent weather here. Its been terrible so far. I've told my husband, Mike, a bit more about Houston. So who knows. Take care. talk soon. Pat 99
 
Hi mutley, That cleveage sure ought to be able to do something for us besides act as a shelve when we dribble our food. I'm going to have to keep this brief as we have 3 showings coming up today, had two yesterday, so keep your fingers and toes crossed. We ended up cookig dinner at some friends last night as there was a showing going on. Can't wait until it's sold and we can get an interim apartment and vacation for awile.

@Patient I guess we both might catch it for going on in Mutley's thread, but it's a great way for 3 friends to banter on. As far as Houston goes, it does get hot, we do have some beauiful balmy nights. Winter has been for the last couple of years, with barely a freeze. I never thught I'd like it here but it's a great city, with something fo everyone culture, sports, fine musuems. I've never been to England but looking forward to doing that one day soon. I love exploring cities, and know London would be fabulous. Glad your leg is okay maybe you ought o ake the day off and just ice and elevate, and there must be some good comedy on the U.K. tube.
 
Just reread my typing. Maybe I ought to start using the laptop instad of i-pad.
 
Don't worry about chipping in on my thread ladies, the more the merrier I say :) Pat99, I had 6 fab sessions in the hydrotherapy pool & it really made a difference to my ROM. I keep meaning to go to the local pool but it's not quite the same as the hot hydrotherapy pool! I had quite an achievement yesterday, managed a 3 hour trip down to the coast & back again on the back of my husbands motorbike! It was probably a bit ambitious to go quite that distance but apart from having to put my leg down straight every so often, it coped ok! Again, NO PROBLEMS with the new knee, but discomfort in the shin bone, thigh muscles & inside of knee. It's SO frustrating :hissy: by the time we had nearly arrived home my leg was definitely telling me it had had enough of being in that bent position. I thought I'd be suffering badly today but I think I've got off lightly!
I'm not sure what happened when you iced the back of your knee to cause that sort of reaction? I've always iced every part of my knee, front, back, sides, shin bone, foot to name a few places! Maybe it was just a bit of a cold shock on one of the nerves? I'm doing ok but like I said earlier, still fed up with all these continuing aches & pains. Just trying to take on board that this is " normal" behaviour at this point in my recovery & not to get upset & jealous when I read of someone 12 weeks post op already walking they're dog twice daily at a mile each walk...Deep breath...don't be jealous....... :hairpulling: I didn't take the mutts out for a 2nd walk the other day as husband came home early & did it, but I will have to from tomorrow...gulp! Must learn NOT to be a maryter (sp?) and if I can only manage 2 shorter walks, then so be it...
Luckily we sold our house on the open day, so I've only had to do 1 mad cleaning stint to get it looking buyable! No doubt the new owners will want to come round & view once more so that will be another manic cleaning day! We too thought of renting & taking our time to find a property but we have so much stuff & animals, we couldn't face the thought of having to move twice! It can also be difficult to rent somewhere that will allow 2 big dogs as well! Luckily we found & fell in love with a place so just keeping EVERYTHING CROSSED that it all goes through ok!
So pat99, how are you doing today???
 
Just reread my typing. Maybe I ought to start using the laptop instad of i-pad.

The iPad can be a bit of a pain at correcting spellings or putting in words that it chooses! Good luck with your viewings Dorothy! You only need 1 person to say "YES"!!!! I have no idea when we might move. I have heard the people we are buying from have found a place with vacant possession & put in an offer, but they are waiting to hear if it's been accepted. At least that would be the end of the chain but there are still 5 of us in it! Glad to hear you are doing ok & enjoying your massage's! I must look those up...I'll add it to my on going " To do" list :flwrysmile:
 
Mutley, we sold our house in one day, with closing on 15 August. So now we must getbusy finding storage and a plac to live temporarily which will take cats. We are building a new patio type home, and it won't be ready until November probably. Now we have to play the game of not doing too much or too litle so that these knees can continue ti improve
 
Brilliant news Dorothy :) here's hoping it all goes well with the move...storage...renting somewhere...the new house build...and seeing you in by Christmas! :flwrysmile:
 
Thank you Mutley. Keep us posted on your escapades. I feel like I must be improving if I can survive a week like this last one. Getting ready for showing and then being out and so wanting to be home. I still don't know how anyone can go back to work after such short rest times. Have a great day.Dorothy
 
Hi Mutley turtle68 You have both been incredibly lucky to sell your houses so quickly. Perhaps its better in the USA, but the UK market is very slow. When ever you move, the furniture from the old house seldom works in the new house, so its a great excuse to buy new - loads of fun.

You have been up to your tricks again Mutley - back of a motor bike for 3 hours (no comment). Well just a little one. You don't have to be envious of anyone. Your track record post TKR is impressive by any standards. Your comment Dorothy, that you don't know how people go back to work so quickly. I don't know how they do it too. Needs must I guess.

You didn't know it, but you were both lucky again today. If I had messaged you this morning you would have wanted to switch the laptop off. It would have made such depressing reading. You know that roller coaster we are always on about? Well I was right at the bottom of it. I thought I want to die, DIE, I've had enough. Instead I went to see my doctor who cheered me up no end - usual stuff, everything normal, just takes time, we are all different bla bla bla. So instead of trying to die I went shopping. Later had lunch out and a few drinks and the world seemed a brighter place. So dying is off the agenda for today.

Dorothy you said you didn't think you would like Houston at first. So where did you used to live and what took you to Houston? I was born in the north of England (Newcastle), I moved south because the job opportunities were so much better in London. I have lived in and around London for 45 years, but I still have a northern accent. I call the white thing you sit in to wash a BATH, but the southerns pronounce it BARTH. Given that England is so little, its surprising how many different accents there are. I wonder how you sound? I absolutely love the southern drawl - as in the film Gone with the Wind.

Just getting back to TKR stuff for a moment. I have been woken up several nights with what seemed liked indigestion. Lots of burping and other windy stuff. The doctor said this was caused by lying in the one position for too long. Normally people move around a lot in their sleep, but subconsciously I must be aware of my knee and stay still. The spin offs to a TKR are another thing OSs don't mention. xx Pat99
 
Pat patient99!, so pleased you gave dying a miss for today!
Tomorrow will be better, just hang in there.
We lived in Eastbourne for a few years and my children picked up the accent very quickly although lst it just as quickly when we moved back north. Where are you?
 
Oh pat99 :sad: If you feel that low again then PLEASE send a private message to me if you don't want to have a public bawl! Believe me when I say I KNOW EXACTLY HOW YOU WERE FEELING. I think people assume I must be a basket case when I say having a TKR nearly caused me to kill myself :yikes: but on at least 2 occasions that was EXACTLY how I felt. I can joke about it now but it was very scary at the time & very horrible for a few family members. That's what our GP is there for, to listen & hopefully tell us we're Not basket cases, we're just not coping so well on this LONG recovery journey, at that particular point. There is NO shame in admitting it either! I'm glad your Dr listened to you & hopefully has made you feel that today was just a little blip & in the days to come you'll probably think, "what was all that about then?" Probably not enough alcohol therefore I would "up" your allowance & see if that helps :beer: Did you wake up feeling down, or were you just frustrated at what you deem to be lack of progress? If there is ANYTHING I can say or do to help then please SHOUT! Sometimes just getting it off your chest ( no pun intended!) helps enormously...
Anyway, I'm glad a bit of retail therapy followed by a few cheeky one's over lunch has brought you back to the brighter side :)
You've just reminded me that a lot of my furniture WON'T fit in the new place, however as house prices appear to be rising I don't think I can afford the luxury of going out buying stuff that does fit...GGRRRRRR!
Wishing you a calm, chilled evening & hope you get a good nights rest :flwrysmile: Jaki x
 
O How nice it is to hear other people admit to feeling so low you just don't know what to do next. I felt like that several times. Especially when my daughter had to return to Uni and I was left on my own from 8 in the morning until 6 at night. yes people were txting me and stuff but that's not the same. I remember SCREAMING at my husband one night " No one knows how I feel" because he said I was just feeling a bit down and it would be ok in the morning. Well it wasn't OK in the morning and no one seemed to care. Thank goodness those dark days have gone and Im feeling so much better. Pat everyone feels like that sometime or another. Im so pleased you just didn't sit at home. You got out and saw your GP and did some retail therapy. This forum is genuinely a godsend and I for one don't know what I would have done without it.
 
Here's another one who had a touch of the miseries - scary. It seems very normal and very common amongst us. :boohoo:
My husband is away for three days now - I'm in a foreign country where I know few people. It's a bit lonely and PT is the most exciting thing planned this week! :gaah:
Having my friend here last week was wonderful and gave me such a lift. I'm due to fly home on 1st July. Can't wait.
Then I'll be back in August and getting ready for t'other knee. Arrrgghhhh!
The boredom in recovery is very hard. Perhaps there should be recuperation groups just to give people a break and some company? Well - actually I guess that's what we have here!!! :thankyou:
 
Hi Hopper. Where do you live in the UK. Im sure you will better when your husband returns. Physio being the highlight of your week. Yes that does sound a little sad but July 1st will come around before you know it. My husband is a self employed landscape gardner so these lighter days hes hardly home. I know being his own boss means he has to work harder but it dosent help sometimes. I loved when all my six kids were at home. It was madness but I loved it and feel a little lost sometimes. I really dont know what to do with myself as Ive been looking after them for so long. Hope your PT goes well anyway. I had a rest from the exercise bike today as the knee is still a bit swollen. Thats my excuse anyway. Take care.
 
I'm just outside of London. Geordie girl really. It blazing hot here - in the 90s f. May be a shock when I eventually get home!
Might be a bigger shock when I see what the kids are doing to our house! Eeeek.
I still can't peddle! You all do so well on yer bikes. :bicycle1:
 
Hooper, where in the world are you too be experiencing things called ' Heat & sunshine' ??? Not that I'm jealous...MUCH! When I whipped to Spain back in April I have to say the warm weather really suited my knee! You must be about 5 weeks post op now so I wouldn't worry about pedalling that bike too much! But when you do, try & pedal BACKWARDS to start with. For some strange reason going backwards is easier than going forwards :shrug:
 
Im resting in the US before trying to peddle home!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom