THR Heal first, then exercise, then dance!

Three weeks and a day--and all is well. Will post update soon, but first this request: would someone please change the title of my thread to:

An54--taking the Rest Cure, because "Hips actually Don't Need any exercise to get better."

:)
The (self appointed) Chairperson of the OCC approves this message!! Don't let us catch you out at too many parties though... Rules are strict!! :)
 
The (self appointed) Chairperson of the OCC approves this message!! Don't let us catch you out at too many parties though... Rules are strict!! :)

Yes, those first two outings of mine were an example of bad judgement (or possibly poor judgement) on my part. Because I was resting so hard all day and all night, I thought an outing would be fine. But I wobbled on the crutches, and am very lucky indeed I didn't face-plant onto the pavement. Lesson learned. When I move on to hip 2, I will wait longer.
 
sorry. technical difficulties above with that loud shouting, as I copied and pasted the thread title.

I consider my thread title change to be the cyber equivalent of getting a club motto tattooed on my forehead--that is how heartily I embrace the rest cure. Just sayin'.

The OCC has been gaining members apace. (What are we up to now--4? 5?) If the President would appoint Yours Truly as club secretary, I will get to work on the, errr.... manifesto.
 
Convalescing, but want to travel? I found a way! (sort of)

If you are starting to go stir crazy with the Rest Cure-- as I am-- you might want to take a travel tour with Google Maps. Using the 'satellite' imagery option, along with the 'street view' function on google maps, you can 'walk' around many cities such as London, Paris, Amsterdam, Dublin, etc.

It feels a bit like you are actually there as you wander down one street to another, any which way you like, looking this way and that. You can examine buildings and signage, see people walking around (static of course--as these are a long string of still photos threaded together). This morning I have been wandering around neighbourhoods in Dublin and London. I also checked out Istanbul, where there is limited 'street' view coverage, but good satellite images.

You have to get used to maneuvering around with the computer mouse, but once you get it, it's fascinating!

I'm going to see if I can 'walk' around Mumbai and Hong Kong and other places. Here is a link to where I am presently 'standing' outside Buckingham Palace in London. I hope the link works, and you can see the view I am seeing on streetview google maps:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.5022...4!1sLGpI2YAPPIwuR65NyOeHkQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
What an excellent idea re the virtual travel!
 
sorry. technical difficulties above with that loud shouting, as I copied and pasted the thread title.

I consider my thread title change to be the cyber equivalent of getting a club motto tattooed on my forehead--that is how heartily I embrace the rest cure. Just sayin'.

The OCC has been gaining members apace. (What are we up to now--4? 5?) If the President would appoint Yours Truly as club secretary, I will get to work on the, errr.... manifesto.
Granted!

You are hereby appointed the official OCC secretary, and as such shall be responsible for any and all... Um.... Secretarial duties..... As they may arise.... Including, but not limited to, keeping the membership roster updated, inscribing the club manifesto... (Not to be confused with the unibomber manifesto). And other duties... However it is implied and understood that none of the above is to exceed the high standards of REST the OCC insists upon on any given day.

Given the supreme level of authority bestowed upon you by this most coveted position in the burgeoning OCC, it is recognized by the OCC Chairwoman / President that you may, from time to time, require assistance-- in which case you are authorized to appoint secretarial assistants who are under the same obligation as all members to NOT OVERDO IT at any time during their service.

:bath::sleeep::ice::) :-) (:
"REST IS GOOD"
 
Last edited:
I, An-Fifty-Four, do solemnly promise to undertake my duties as Club Secretary with all my powers of being, including both intellect and cheek, and to use these powers for good and not evil, and to promote the GRAND GOODNESS of the Rest Cure as championed by the OCC Club, chaired by the Honourable FirstSurgery,
noted this Ninth Day of August
in the year of Our Lord,
Two Thousand and Eighteen,
8:01 pm
(post Jeopardy)
 
Last edited:
:rotfl: :rofsign:

You are hereby sworn in, Madame Secretary.
Report for duty....whenever you feel like it.

Now go put those feet up and rest!!!

ETA I just noticed you're in Canada! The OCC is suddenly truly international!
 
Oh my I have had a good laugh with this thread @An54! So glad you didn't face plant on your little outing! Yikes!

Really interesting about the shingles and now no pain. You sure had your share of it though..stranded on one of the gulf islands all night and then a period of not knowing what you had :yikes:. That must have been horrendous. I had an ectopic pregnancy rupture on me, and I truly felt as if someone had run a sword through my lower abdomen, or imagined how that would feel anyway! I wonder if that gives me a day of pain relief with my surgery?!!

So with your Google Maps, just pop on over to Cowichan Station (now considered part of Duncan), Mountain Road to be exact, and you will find me, barn, pond, rolling pastures and all!! If you come over now, you'll see 30 head of heifers as well!! They come over from a neighbouring dairy farm every summer to have an idylic pasture pregnancy before they become milking girls! Sadly we've had one still birth this summer :-(
:horseriding:

Re: PT....I truly believe we need time to heal. I have rehabbed two horses for soft tissue injuries in the last three years (part of my hip failure I swear...slogging around in the VI winter hand walking rehabbing horses who are going out of their minds from being on stall rest and hand walking only). They get walked in straight lines for the most part only, on a strict and structured rehab schedule. If I did to my horse in rehab, the equivalent of what some PTs are making human patients do (within the same post op time frame), I would be set upon by the SPCA for starters and then the animal welfare officer!!! I was talking about the PT dilema with my really great PT who is helping me keep my hips going until surgery next month...basically putting out fires. All my muscles in both hips, legs and knees are complaining bitterly. Back is killing me etc. etc. There is no home physio here it seems, so they can't come and find me!!! LOL!! If I don't want to go, I don't have to. The only problem I foresee is what my OS may have to say about PT. Thus far I have no idea what his views are about this as yet. I truly believe that all soft tissue structures need to heal first to then get stronger. Easing slowly into normal day to day living really is enough for the first two to thee months. I really like the schedule of healing on this site. When I can cope with the day to day stuff, I'll move on to more. There is the aspect of the aligning of fibres in torn or cut soft tissue structures, but again that can be achieved by normal day to day movement and walking around the house and outdoors IMO...the strengthening can come later on.

If I were to Google map you, would I find you on the mainland, near the coast?! Terrible about all the wildfires at the moment. We have two closer than I'd like.

Wishing you a healing weekend :flwrysmile:
 
When I can cope with the day to day stuff, I'll move on to more. There is the aspect of the aligning of fibres in torn or cut soft tissue structures, but again that can be achieved by normal day to day movement and walking around the house and outdoors IMO...the strengthening can come later on.
That's how I did it..and look at me now:chuckmarch:
 
Can I join? Recovery was going well after 3 weeks (apart from some constipation, insomnia etc) but I tried some of the physios recommended standing exercises. Not too bad, obviously getting more flexible and stronger. Then tried on non operated but also arthritic leg. Desperately painful and now find standing, going up steps very unpleasant. Walking with one stick and sitting are fine but not much stamina for anything but short bursts. Feel I've set myself back but can't be sure what to do now for the best. Just more resting and medication? Certainly doing no more exercises except glutes and quads which are almost automatic and help so much with walking.
I know I'll need the other hip replaced but had hoped for several months to let new hip repair properly.
 
...Really interesting about the shingles and now no pain. You sure had your share of it though..stranded on one of the gulf islands all night and then a period of not knowing what you had...

Alitm,

Yes, I thought a cancerous tumor had finally invaded my spine, and as I leaning over the deck railing, sweating it out waiting for dawn, I was lamenting all sorts of things like I had never written that novel, or had a solo show of my paintings, blah, blah, and now it was likely Stage 4, and ... too late! When I got to emerg (in Nanaimo) my main question was whether it was stage 4, (metastasized). I was convinced then that my future had crunched down to a few weeks--just enough time to get my affairs in order, etc. Well, I can laugh about it now--HAHAHA--but it sure didn't seem funny at the time.

I am familiar with the Cowichan Valley/ Duncan. Lovely countryside. I have a friend who lives on Hillbank Road. I live in Vancouver proper, False Creek South.
 
Bickypeg, you are in! As mentioned above, the OCC is an international organization headed up by FirstSurgery, and its mandate is to promote awareness of the benefits of REST and healing after major surgery ( as opposed to prematurely exercising ourselves into trouble and set-backs. )

We now have members in the US, Canada, and the UK. :)
 
Re: PT....I truly believe we need time to heal...
.... If I did to my horse in rehab, the equivalent of what some PTs are making human patients do (within the same post op time frame), I would be set upon by the SPCA for starters and then the animal welfare officer!!!

Alitm,
You have nailed it. You deserve a formal title in the OCC. What position do you fancy?
 
I am going over Josephine's story and her posts again to glean the nuggets and quotes we need to support our case. Someone a week or two ago quoted an article/study on the benefits of post-surgical PT (zero). I'll see if I can find it and will link or copy. In our evidence-based medical world it's good to have studies to point to as well as the purely anecdotal.

I think the whole PT thing needs to be handled diplomatically (which it has been all along here--in spades) but at the same time unambiguously--as in CAPITAL LETTERS--like a brick going through a window... is such a balance possible?
 
Yes! @bickypeg needs a Title! How about Official OCC Ambassador to the United Kingdom? In charge of recruitment and administration of the U.K. OCC faction? It's a big job but as all OCC jobs go....we don't want anyone to overdo it in their efforts. Keep it chill. Always make time to rest. And rest more. And ice.

And we have @Alitm joining too? Wonderful!!

Good job Madame Secretary! Fine organizational skills! The President is pleased!!
 
Yes! @bickypeg needs a Title! How about Official OCC Ambassador to the United Kingdom? In charge of recruitment and administration of the U.K. OCC faction? It's a big job but as all OCC jobs go....we don't want anyone to overdo it in their efforts. Keep it chill. Always make time to rest. And rest more. And ice.

And we have @Alitm joining too? Wonderful!!

Good job Madame Secretary! Fine organizational skills! The President is pleased!!

A title for @bickypeg , yes, excellent suggestion FirstSurgery! Might I respectfully suggest the contraction "OCC Ambassador, UK" for daily use. The full length title can be pulled out for garden parties at Buckingham Palace, or formal dinners at Clarence House.
 
Splendid idea @An54! Shortened Titles are also useful in providing us all with more time to....REST.

Full disclosure, I am dealing with contractors at the Homefront today ...but I promise to delegate all stressful duties to the spouse who has two good hips and no surgeries. I...will be mostly resting.
 
"....I truly believe that all soft tissue structures need to heal first to then get stronger. Easing slowly into normal day to day living really is enough for the first two to thee months. I really like the schedule of healing on this site. When I can cope with the day to day stuff, I'll move on to more. There is the aspect of the aligning of fibres in torn or cut soft tissue structures, but again that can be achieved by normal day to day movement and walking around the house and outdoors IMO...the strengthening can come later on...."

@Alitm has a clear view and strong grasp of what we might refer to as the main thrust. The point. The skeleton of our argument. or would that be premise? the nub. the kernel.
 
Back
Top Bottom