Guest viewing is limited

THR Heal first, then exercise, then dance!

As I said, not my favorite thing either.
I would rather get over whatever without having to put extra effort into making other people feel better and I don't like complaining so I can get reassurance but I don't like pretending so no one will worry.
I'm not the best at it for sure.
But..:sigh:...they mean well.

You can always go to default...pretend to doze off.
Then they'll hopefully leave, because you know you need your rest!:whistle:
Hope you have a good rest of the week!
 
It seems that I have floated on a comfortable cloud for this surgical event when I compare my experience with many others on this board. Apart from the fright and anxiety leading up to the surgery, everything couldn't have gone more smoothly. I got a few high-powered pain meds in the hospital, but when I returned home after my night in the hospital, I only used Tylenol and never touched the tramadol. I started cutting down on the Tylenol because it upset my stomach. I dropped it completely a couple of days ago, and am now only taking the baby aspirin against blood-clotting. The only other participant I know of on this forum who had no pain was Mycroft, and he vanished pretty quickly after his concerns (about being pain-free) were addressed.

However I suspect my smooth ride regarding pain may have its origins in my bout of shingles last summer. It started with excruciating back pain (9 on the scale? I could barely talk) that landed me in the emergency ward. I was struck down at my family's little cabin on a Gulf Island at 3 am, so had to sweat it out for hours before dawn broke and the ferries started running again... wow I will never forget that night. I have never been through childbirth, so that was the pain experience of my life to date. My friend was staying there with me, so at least I wasn't alone.

It was a difficult one to diagnose as I didn't get the rash, zoster sine herpete (ZSH) "shingles without the rash" according to my googling, so the window of opportunity--3 days-- to treat it with whatever had passed. The back pain was in my mid/lower back, and offset from my spine, right side. On day three I noticed that my lower belly on the right hand side had gone numb. Hubby, who was out of town, directed me back to the Emergency ward, then it was on to my family doc back and forth a couple of times, and got armed with heavy duty pain-killers. Even by day five no one could tell me what was wrong with me. Neither of the emergency physicians I saw --one in Nanaimo, and one in Vancouver-- thought of shingles because I didn't present with the characteristic rash.

However my doctor did consult a neurologist, and she phoned me at home to say that the specialist thought that it might indeed be shingles without the rash. So that was as close to a definitive diagnosis as I ever got. It was a nasty experience for some long weeks. Under the numb skin was a storm of pain that felt like a bayonet wound to my belly. Okay--I've never been wounded by a bayonet ;), but somehow the experience melded in my imagination with a movie I once saw about WWI veterans in convalescent homes, nursing horrible wounds.

Fast forward one year to my THR. My lower belly, right side, never regained sensation. It is still numb to touch, but I don't care. I'm just glad that I didn't end up with post-herpetic pain for the rest of my life.

So here is the nub of my long rambling post. Is it possible that my lack of pain post THR surgery is tied to the nerves that were destroyed during my bout of what I assume was ZSH?

I would be very pleased if @Josephine weighed in on this.
 
Last edited:
What an experience. Sorry you had to endure that. @An54
It sounds miserably excruciating.
I will look forward to Josephines response.
Interesting!
 
I started cutting down on the Tylenol because it upset my stomach.
There are no reports of acetaminophen causing stomach upsets. NSAIDs to but not acet.
could be zoster sine herpete.
Or put more simply, it's just herpes zoster!
The back pain was in my mid/lower back, and offset from my spine, right side. On day three I noticed that my lower belly on the right hand side had gone numb. Is it possible that my lack of pain post THR surgery is tied to the nerves that were destroyed during my bout of what I assume was ZSH?
I presume that the origin of the HZ was around the lower ribs? If so, that could certainly cause all the issues you've mentioned.

This is the pattern of the costal nerve supply

[Bonesmart.org] Heal first, then exercise, then dance!
 
Thank you Josephine! Yes, that makes sense. T12 was struck. The nerves that ran down into my groin were affected, and then got snuffed out (stopped functioning) after a day or two. So I am assuming that's why my THR was relatively pain-free-- some nerves were dead.
 
... or, in a strange way, I got my serving of pain a year in advance --9 continuous hours of "mach 9" pain, before the 3 morphine tablets the emerg doctor gave me finally kicked in.
 
Two weeks and two days anniversary. (Well, we must celebrate every day :)). Saw a nurse at the clinic and had the staples (20) removed. All looks well. Went out socializing a bit yesterday evening. It was a very merry birthday party, live music pub. It was good to see so many old and new friends. I moved quite gingerly around with the crutches; I haven't been using them very much. At home I am still using the walker, but I am starting to sense a shift in my strength. Once or twice I caught myself turning and stepping away from the walker with an unconscious and natural step. I think that I am on the edge of simply walking.
I will be doing the Rest Cure with all my might this weekend. No more parties.

Eating wine gums. Life is good.
 
You make me laugh @An54 I find your posts amusing. I like them!

Oh Happy Day when you get the staples out, or bandage off, and hear all looks as it should. Whew!
Catching yourself taking steps without the assistive device is the beginning of the end. Usually pretty quickly also. I practiced around the kitchen where you always have a countertop to grab or lean on. I recall the first time I walked away from my cane and immediately thought "oh, no, how am I going to get back?"
I'll blame that thought process on the drugs, lol.

Hope you have a restful weekend!
 
Good for you...and things will get even better.
Hope your weekend is wonderful!:yahoo:
 
Convalescing, but want to travel? I found a way! (sort of)

If you are starting to go stir crazy with the Rest Cure-- as I am-- you might want to take a travel tour with Google Maps. Using the 'satellite' imagery option, along with the 'street view' function on google maps, you can 'walk' around many cities such as London, Paris, Amsterdam, Dublin, etc.

It feels a bit like you are actually there as you wander down one street to another, any which way you like, looking this way and that. You can examine buildings and signage, see people walking around (static of course--as these are a long string of still photos threaded together). This morning I have been wandering around neighbourhoods in Dublin and London. I also checked out Istanbul, where there is limited 'street' view coverage, but good satellite images.

You have to get used to maneuvering around with the computer mouse, but once you get it, it's fascinating!

I'm going to see if I can 'walk' around Mumbai and Hong Kong and other places. Here is a link to where I am presently 'standing' outside Buckingham Palace in London. I hope the link works, and you can see the view I am seeing on streetview google maps:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.5022...4!1sLGpI2YAPPIwuR65NyOeHkQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
 
Convalescing, but want to travel? I found a way! (sort of)

If you are starting to go stir crazy with the Rest Cure-- as I am-- you might want to take a travel tour with Google Maps. Using the 'satellite' imagery option, along with the 'street view' function on google maps, you can 'walk' around many cities such as London, Paris, Amsterdam, Dublin, etc.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.5022...4!1sLGpI2YAPPIwuR65NyOeHkQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Cool! Link works. Thanks for that idea.
 
Piccadilly, Circus London:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.5100...4!1sBQOHYvmNEXf1bY9lWtcj1A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The Eiffel Tower, Paris:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@48.8603...4!1shDnjL8K4Lsk3z4SgExLQpg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@20.6082...4!1sQYSF5l-ZXjJ7pQqjo9oCkQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Do the links above work for others? They work when I click on them.

You have to use booth the mouse and the Control button to get around quickly and easily.
Yes they work.. using my finger I'm on a tablet.
 
Links don't work for me! :tantrum2:
I want to try some Tea and Crumpets :tantrum: or a Croissant.
Or rock the casbah in some exotic locale :gaah:
Heck I'd even settle for a Margarita :martini: (pretend it's a Margarita)
Guess I'll figure this out myself. I want to expand my horizons too :yes:
@An54
Hope you're having fun, world traveler, don't worry about us, we'll muddle through :bawl:
 
I should probably make a thread in the Social Room for this activity if we continue on the Google Maps Armchair Travel chat so this recovery thread isn't derailed. However I can't resist a few more links here. Layla, too bad the links don't work for you! You will have to arrange your own transportation as I can't beam you there through my links. Start with Google Maps, and click on the wee square in the lower left hand corner of the screen that says Satellite. Then start scrolling to zoom in and out of place, and left clicking to move forward. To access Streetview , zooooooom right in as far as you can go, or drag the little yellow man in the lower right hand corner onto the spot you want to stand on. Left clicking the little arrows on the streets moves you forward.

Red Square, Moscow:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@55.7531...4!1s-Y8kBqlU1lGajv2pKit-uw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Somewhere in Tokyo:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@35.6569...4!1sANmcHfgGwwd9K_PscMM3hw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Wow--you can even walk inside some buildings! Check this out: somewhere in Rio:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@-22.906...-k-no-pi-0-ya307.9995-ro0-fo100!7i8192!8i4096

Singapore:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@1.26879...4!1sxhPNPD7yKePNtcIgBeVuAw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
 
@An54 believe it or not I've actually been to Singapore. Really neat city. People were very nice.
 
Hi @An54
You're one day over three weeks into recovery.
How's it going for you? Happy with your progress?
Shoot us an update if you feel like it, would love to hear.
I hope you're having a good week!
 
Hi @An54
You're one day over three weeks into recovery.
How's it going for you? Happy with your progress?
Shoot us an update if you feel like it, would love to hear.
I hope you're having a good week!
Doing well. Just got back from PT. Lift put in non operated leg shoe. Makes a big difference. Have a good week also.
 
Three weeks and a day--and all is well. Will post update soon, but first this request: would someone please change the title of my thread to:

An54--the Rest Cure, because "Hips actually Don't Need any exercise to get better."

:)
(slight edit)
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom