You sound so disillusioned, and I don't blame you. I think you may be right....if it is just a matter of time, and if it will be a 6 month wait once you commit, you might want to get ahead of it. If you do, I'm sure you'll have moments of "buyers' remorse" but if you don't, you might end up being in agony for months.
On the flip side, is there any chance this is related to your recent illness, and maybe you felt so weak/bad because you are still recovering?
There were a a couple of moments I was kicking myself for postponing my surgery....once while I was crawling (and crying as I went) up the steps at my daughter's home one night, while I stayed with them to help with their newborn. Another time I was in Croatia the night they played the semi-final World Cup match. We were downtown while everyone watched, and then celebrated the win. It was rainy and I was unable to take a step without nearly dropping in pain---instead of reveling in the moment, I wanted to fly back home. But I couldn't even imagine getting on the plane and making it home. Fortunately, both times the crisis passed, but I don't think I'll ever let myself get back into a spot like that if I can help it. I suspect if I'd had the surgery when he first suggested it, I might have been able to travel anyway, and have had less pain. (Or maybe not?!?!)
But I didn't have any way of knowing----it seems none of us do. I had an easy time this hip---very lucky. Another hip, another time, might be totally different. I'm ambivalent about how much they should tell you, but I do believe they should tell you the range, so you can be better prepared in terms of having help/support available, and not feeling like you did anything wrong if things take more time.