Guest viewing is limited

THR Heal first, then exercise, then dance!

I had to look many times as the pic of your friend and her daughter indeed looks like a painting! Incredible with the lighting!
Hope you continue to improve healthwise @An54
 
@An54 ... love hearing about your adventures ... Sounds like a wonderful trip ... Jane Austen and getting together with a fellow hippie. Really love this report.

So sorry to hear that you haven't been feeling well ... wow, your report on Shingles is prompting me to think of getting the new Shingles vaccine that came out in the last year or so ... supposedly far better and far more effective than the previous vaccine ... didn't realize Shingles could lead to paralyzed nerves ...

Today is literally my two-month mark in PT ... and maybe last week ... I overdid things ... I ran too hard on the treadmill at the same time that my PT increased the difficulty of my exercises ... So we dialed things back last week. I go see her later today ... There was a big swing dance event this past weekend and I was set to go ... and then ... well having overdone it ... and feeling some tenderness in my flexors ... I played it safe ... stayed home. Will probably do hip PT one more month and then I'll switch to PT for my long-ailing back!

One thing about finding a good PT ... you may quickly find out if you can dance on the bad hip ... vs. waiting til after surgery. It was just clear in a week or so that I was making huge progress ... Enjoy London! ... and thanks for the report. I'm overdue for a report myself.
 
Hmm, it seems Surrey Girl just mentioned meeting up with a fellow forum hippie :chinstroke:
I agree with Mojo on that photo. There is something surreal looking about it.
I hope you enjoy the remainder of your adventure in England :wave:
Safe travels back home!
@An54
 
What a fun, fun adventure you are on! Hopefully your spirits have been lifted from such a lovely experience. I loved the photos and hope one day I will have a chance to be part of something like your Regency Ball. My mom sewed most of my clothes when I was young, and she taught me how to sew. Over the years my repertoire has become far more limited....now mainly including costumes, mending, and crafty sorts of things.

I think it is great how you have so many interests and ways to spend your time, as you deal with your right hip recovery and also with pain from your "still needing to be replaced" left hip. It must be so unsettling to be caught between the 2 hips. Thanks for the update, and the photos!! :loveshwr: How much longer is your stay?
 
.... Thanks for the update, and the photos!! :loveshwr: How much longer is your stay?

@Debru4 , I'm not sure exactly when I will return. I haven't booked a return flight yet. However I am meeting a Irish friend here on June 4th, so it will be after that I fly back to Canada. It also depends on circumstance here where I am staying. I am being a companion to my friend while a family member is in hospital/convalescing-- otherwise she would be alone. I guess I will scramble around and try to find a cheap last minute flight when the time comes.
 
I had to look many times as the pic of your friend and her daughter indeed looks like a painting! Incredible with the lighting!
@An54


@Mojo333 and @Layla , I take photos with my iPhone, and then re-size them with a PaintShopPro program. I also adjust the image, tweaking contrast & saturation, and use filters to give them a more lustrous and painterly appearance.
 
No wonder! I need to research some of those apps.
Hopefully your hip is doing well and you're having another great day in England. :wave:
@An54
 
Happy One Year Anniversary!
I discovered it was your one year by fluke. I was in "Artists Among Us" and noticed the date on one of your posts. How have you been? I hope all is well.
Please leave an update. it's so nice to hear how people are doing, especially one year out.
Enjoy the Summer wherever you may be!
@An54
 
Happy One Year Anniversary!
I discovered it was your one year by fluke. I was in "Artists Among Us" and noticed the date on one of your posts. How have you been? I hope all is well.
Please leave an update. it's so nice to hear how people are doing, especially one year out.
Enjoy the Summer wherever you may be!
@An54

Hello dear @Layla , thanks for the kind enquiry. I am doing okay. To very briefly recap the past few months, I was sick in April, spent May getting back up to speed (but feeling rather weak and pathetic), June was better as I ramped up my activity more and more and became stronger, and here we are in July and I have no real complaints except for not-yet-operated left hip; it gives the occasional low and deep whispering moan of pain running down my leg (if that makes any sense), but for a lot of the time it is silent.

I have come to realize that I am more disabled psychologically than physically by that bad left hip--it kind of preys on my mind.. the "should I get on the list for the next surgery?" .. or... "should I wait and see?"... "should I try putting it off for as long as possible?"... or "should I just do it and get it over with?" It messes with my mind! I think about it every day. @Alitm recommended just do it ; I suspect she may be right.

And for @Going4fun , here is my dancing update. I was at a swing dance about a month ago, had my dancing shoes on, sitting there, ready to go... and lost my nerve. There was a lovely chap, a dancing friend, with his hand outstretched for the next dance, and I chickened out. I was afraid my left hip wouldn't be able to cope with the rotations; follows have a lot of pivoting to do on that side! So I continued with the freestyle solo dancing, getting out as often as I could. Then at another event I took the plunge (can't resist Neanderthal Man!), and it went brilliantly. I neither collapsed, nor injured myself. I should mention that it was a slower blues number, and I'm not sure what we were dancing exactly--it was perhaps more a variation of West Coast Swing.. some notes/moves streeeetched out to half time (sorry, I don't know the terminology, but you probably get what I mean). Had several dances and was really encouraged; even did a bit of 8-count rock stepping. So I am trying to keep it up, although the partner dances are becoming rarer due to increasing white-haired old-ladyism syndrome, what with the younger and younger lindy-hoppers who look right through you! . I try for 8-count sequences when solo dancing too; I figure use it or lose it.

Ah, First World problems.

Still, left leg is aching somewhat as I type this. Should I or should I? Should I or shouldn't I? (ad nauseam)
 
Thanks for the update!
Gosh, I would love to see either you or Going4Fun fun dance one day. You make that type of dance sound so fun.

I can tell you're really plagued by your left hip. I'm wondering a couple things, if you don't mind sharing. What stage is your left, is it stage four bone on bone, or not quite yet but just bothersome enough that it's holding you back mentally and physically? Wondering how far out your OS is scheduling, would you consider scheduling it and cancelling if you're just not ready when it gets close to the scheduled date?

I can sympathize only because I know I will need my left done at some point also. It is showing the effects of OA but I was told I had a "lot of mileage" to go. That was a year ago. However, I've learned through my time here that is tough to predict. My OS's prediction could hold true, or my hip could decline rapidly. So I understand in a sense how it preys on your mind. To me it's like unfinished biz always there...lurking.

I don't know about you, but I always feel I'd never want to experience surgery between mid October to mid April, roughly. I have a fear of catching the flu while in the surgery center and being ill with either cold or flu, with a big gash in my leg that pains and throbs with every cough, or worse yet vomiting attack. Overactive imagination much? :heehee: Not sure how you feel but I felt this time of year was perfect for recovery. While our surgeries were a year apart, our dates (time of year) are only three weeks apart.

I'm sorry to hear you were sick in April and that May was less than stellar as you recovered. Glad June and July have been good and I wish you a happy healthy August also. Stay in touch. It was nice to hear from you!
 
Hi @An54 so great to get your update! First, congratulations on reaching your one-year anniversary.

Great to hear that you have gone back out to the dance floor. As I recall your last update, you didn't feel so safe going out dancing. Great to hear that you have been having a good time.

I'm so sorry that you are dealing with "white-haired old-ladyism syndrome." Clearly you are vibrant and fun and fit (despite the hip). But I hear you. I was at a dance in the spring when I looked up and a woman (maybe in her late 40's or 50's)--who I had danced with earlier--was out on the floor dancing with herself. I was winded, so I didn't get up and ask her to dance, but I'm been very aware of about the dynamic of younger people not feeling comfortable with older people on the dance floor. I realize there's a huge gender element of bias against older women in particular. Not that this makes me any kind of paragon of virtue, but any time I see someone even over 40 ... I make a B line to ask them to dance.

About your left hip, you have spelled out your dilemma quite precisely and eloquently: the psychological struggle about when to have the left him done ... That ongoing internal debate that you report (should I have surgery now? should I wait? how bad is the pain?) was the final trigger (along with increased pain and stiffness of course) for me to have my hip done. I was sick of replaying this internal conversation. Sick and tired of the probing, thinking, evaluating, calculating ... I elected for surgery because I wanted quiet in my mind as much as i wanted an end to pain in the hip.

I won't make any suggestions, but I'll say this ... my thinking right now (who knows later) is that as soon as I hear a peep out of my right hip, I will want to sign up for surgery. I don't want to replay that conversation and dread and worry and all of that. Of course, this is easy for me to say when my right hip is not complaining.

Well great hearing from you. Glad you are feeling like you can at least trust your left hip with some activity. Glad that right operated hip is apparently doing quite quite well.
 
Last edited:
What stage is your left, is it stage four bone on bone, or not quite yet but just bothersome enough that it's holding you back mentally and physically?

@Layla , Three years ago The OASIS Clinic told me that my left hip was "moderately severe". I took a screen shot of the XRay, and posted it above on page 29 of this thread. They operated on the right hip--"severe"-- first. There was an assumption both would have to be done... kind of a "which one would you like done first?" situation. I don't have much pain or disability right now from the left/un-operated one; if I could be sure it would stay exactly as it is now for the rest of my life, I wouldn't bother, but that scenario seems unlikely. It's holding me back more mentally than physically.

Wondering how far out your OS is scheduling, would you consider scheduling it and cancelling if you're just not ready when it gets close to the scheduled date?

I thought that I would have a six month wait for hip #2, but after contacting the surgeon's office a couple of weeks ago asking about wait times, I got an email from the assistant telling me that after a referral from my family doctor, she could book me a spot "in the fall". That's coming up soon. Yes, I have considered just what you said--ask for a date, and see how things unfold.

I don't know about you, but I always feel I'd never want to experience surgery between mid October to mid April, roughly.

That's interesting because after my first surgery, a year ago in July, I thought that I'd rather have surgery in winter! It's dark and rainy (here in Vancouver), and for the most part you're just lying around healing, so why waste good summer days on that??
 
I was sick of replaying this internal conversation. Sick and tired of the probing, thinking, evaluating, calculating ... I elected for surgery because I wanted quiet in my mind as much as i wanted and end to pain in the hip.

@Going4fun , you have nailed it. I'm glad to have your thoughts on this matter.

I will respond at greater length later, as I have to run out the door for an event booked months ago. Is that cool or what? I am "running" out the door. So much better than "I have to hobble out the door now, will get back to you later". :)
 
Tough call. I looked at the x-ray. You can't help but wonder how it appears now since that was close to three years ago. I'd be tempted to wait also I guess if I wasn't in a lot of pain. Especially given the little amount of time you'd have to wait between scheduling and your surgery date....IF the timeline doesn't vary considerably throughout different seasons of the year.

I'll bet the great majority of us can relate to the Going4Fun quote above. I guess it all depends upon how often you are plagued by the chatter, or how effective you are in quieting it. I fully understand, I'm just not there again....yet. As most of us heard on our journey "you'll know when the time is right" and you will. Pain and immobility will ramp up or you'll just long for it all to be over with and give in. Keep in touch, we'll be here.
Enjoy your event today!
@An54
 
I went through that internal dialogue for 1 1/2 years prior to having my back surgery 10 years ago. It nearly drove me crazy. With my hip last year I waited 6 months between my diagnosis of bone on bone needing hip replacement until my surgery. I had other commitments that I needed to deal with before I could do the surgery, and every one of those days was filled with pain and trying to figure out what I could do to deal with it and still enjoy my life. In retrospect, given the positive outcomes I had from both surgeries, I would not have waited as long as I did for either. The cost emotionally, physically, and financially was much higher than if I had just done it. You know what they say about hindsight......:SUNsmile:

I'm glad to hear that you most likely won't have to wait for as long as you originally thought you might to get on the surgery list. What you are describing is the hardest type of decision to make---when sometimes you are feeling fine and able to dance and carry on like usual, and then others the pain and worry take over. I feel for you in this limbo state! :console2:
 
That is a tough call. My input, hips can deteriorate very fast and your chances of a better recovery are higher if the muscles aren’t so bad in the first place. So if that hip is in its way out maybe time to wave it goodbye! If you have a slot in Autumn then maybe it is time but I can understand your reticence all too well.

Love the fact that you are dancing again! It was so lovely meeting you in person and sorry we didn’t get the chance to meet up again before you flew back. Hopefully we can meet up again next year.

I may join a dance class and will let you know if I do!
 
Well, for what it's worth (probably not that much...), @An54, my vote would be to proceed with the surgery. I was somewhat in your situation, in that right hip #1 clearly needed replacement, bone-on-bone, at stage 4. The left was at a 3 level, moderately severe and before my first surgery, wasn't giving me any problems. However, within a few months after the first surgery I began to notice some aching. It was never as bad as my first hip and, frankly, I could have "toughed it out" for some time. It hadn't affected walking (with first hip walking more than a block would trigger aching and pain) and manifested itself most when I sat down. I didn't have much problem sleeping, and sometimes even--gasp--didn't worry about it. But I was aware of it most of the time, and my husband pointed out to me that it wasn't going to get any better, that I wasn't getting any younger (got a bit surly with that comment but he's right) and WHY was I waiting. Next year is our 25th wedding anniversary and we'd always thought we'd take a long and lovely trip somewhere. He said he didn't want to go on a trip and have me uncomfortable and unhappy with hip problems, why not get it done and then I can sashay into 2020 with two shiny new hips and no hip pain. As much as I was not looking forward to yet another surgery, as it was inevitable I decided to just move ahead. Still early in recovery and feeling quite sore and grumpy, but I am absolutely looking forward to recovery and a pain free (well, hip pain free anyway) life ahead. Of course, this is just my take on it and you'll have to decide for yourself. Best wishes as you contemplate your choices.
 
I guess it all depends upon how often you are plagued by the chatter, or how effective you are in quieting it. I fully understand, I'm just not there again....yet. As most of us heard on our journey "you'll know when the time is right" and you will.

@Layla , 'Plagued by the chatter' , nicely phrased! That internal chatter, just two days ago when I felt the long low hour-after-hour bass note of impending doom running down my left leg... the chatter was telling me ; "okay, that's it! On Monday book that appointment with your doctor and get on that list!" and then yesterday evening I am walking home and my legs feel great! I am striding! Nice firm confident gait...solid, strong, sweeping... I am a veritable super-woman !!! (adjusted for age, height, weight, etc).. and "who needs surgery?? Not me! "

I went through that internal dialogue for 1 1/2 years prior to having my back surgery 10 years ago. It nearly drove me crazy.

@Debru4
, yes--the flip flopping... on Friday you are bracing yourself psychologically to prepare for a big surgery, and then on Saturday you feel good enough to walk 20 miles and dance the Charleston. It's enough to drive a sane person crazy; since I never claimed to even be sane, it's really messing with my mind.
 
My input, hips can deteriorate very fast and your chances of a better recovery are higher if the muscles aren’t so bad in the first place. So if that hip is in its way out maybe time to wave it goodbye!


my vote would be to proceed with the surgery. I was somewhat in your situation, in that right hip #1 clearly needed replacement, bone-on-bone, at stage 4. The left was at a 3 level, moderately severe and before my first surgery, wasn't giving me any problems. However, within a few months after the first surgery I began to notice some aching. It was never as bad as my first hip and, frankly, I could have "toughed it out" for some time.

@SurreyGirl and @Barbaraj , I really appreciate your feedback; I know it's coming from a been-there-done-that place and it helps me pull back for a longer range view. "Noticing some aching" is exactly where I am now. It's a matter of reconciling 'some aching' with 'major surgery' I guess. It seems on first glance like a dis-connect, killing a fly with a sledge hammer, but of course it's much more complicated.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom