THR Heal first, then exercise, then dance!

Wow, so great to read a report that someone is doing so well, pain free (if moving perhaps a bit slowly) and definitely getting on with their life. I hope I'm headed in that direction, too. Should really get off my computer now and do a bit of elevating/icing. I know it's supposed to be good for me, but I wasn't impressed yesterday--I got so chilled (need to grab some blankets before I start up again this morning) and I felt as if it made my leg more stiff rather then feeling better. Argh!
 
Wow, so great to read a report that someone is doing so well, pain free (if moving perhaps a bit slowly) and definitely getting on with their life. ..

@Barbaraj , I wanted to post updates for that very reason. to illustrate that recoveries can vary so much. People having trouble and pain post here a lot; those who have smooth recoveries vanish quickly from this forum (see Mycroft's thread) or never bother with online THR sites at all.
 
Well, @An54, I am glad you are posting your success story—keep it up! The forum is helpful but initially when I began wandering through posts it was intimidating to read about so many difficult and painful recoveries (yikes!) so very glad to read about smoother, relatively pain free stories as well. Naturally, I hope to be one of those posters!
 
@An54 My surgeon said, when he came to see me just before I checked out of the hospital, "NO physio until I see you two weeks, just walk". At two weeks (this past Tues) he again said to me, "NO physio for your hip for six weeks, let that hip capsule form and the soft tissue trauma heal".

Yesterday I went to visit my long time physio, for post op modifications for my upper body and core exercises. He did an assessment of my crutch walking and said to stay on the walking device that improved my gait. He said to trail one crutch and feel really comfortable on that before going onto the cane. I had told him of my OS's instructions of NO physio, and that I had done nothing but walk to the loo and around the kitchen island on the way back to my recliner the first week etc. He was curious about my range of motion with a heal slide. I could bring my op knee up quite nicely. He was thrilled. He started spouting off angles to me, but as I've not worried about any of that, I asked him to give me a percentile range. He said I was moving my knee up within the 90% average for where I was time wise post op. He also said that by keeping as active as I could with two bone on bone hips pre-op, that had been money in the bank for post op. Of course I had my horse rehab experiences etc., but it has been so great to have a surgeon that is saying hips need to settle at this stage so just build up the walking, and to see the progress come along nicely from following that approach. Slow and steady wins the race, I'm sure of it. It does take enormous patience though, and I'm only two weeks out. I look at you at just over two months and think wow, how wonderful. The fitness is coming, as you continue to dance. I met a gal last spring, who was at a friends house, getting on a quiet horse, for the first time since her THR surgery the year before. She had walked and hiked for fitness for months and months for a year before getting on a horse again. I totally understand that mentality now!

Of course, after zipping around on crutches for the last few days, and completely doing too much of that, I've had complete energy drain, and I hope that will be wake up call to not over do it again. I have been following the daily activities for living guide, and now make my own breakfast and lunch in week two, but thats it. Hubs likes to cook, so does dinner. It works. Heading into week three I'll do more around the house. It is so hard to go so slow, but this little foray into the ODIC showed me how fast one can get into trouble, despite reading about it!

I forgot to ask my surgeon how knees compare to hips, in terms of physio, but I will. I think, as said here, that knees require a different approach. My friend with recent TKR surgery is horrified that I'm just walking...as she has sets and sets of exercises to do. I guess knees need that!:heehee:
 
@An54, fantastic update!

I love your caution about overdoing it ...

I think you'll know when it's time to dance ... You reported taking steps in your home ... I would bet there will be a time (maybe quite soon) when you find yourself (not force yourself) moving pretty well at home ... and then feeling OK afterwards ... and then maybe that's the time to try out an abbreviated appearance at a dance. Don't stay the entire night ... see how the hip feels in the days afterwards ... and then report back to us so we can vicariously experience the fun.

Multiple days 5 hours out and about and riding public transportation, OMG!!!! That sounds wonderful ...

And this fantastic quote: I no longer feel like a surgical patient. Aren't those some beautiful words!

Thanks for the ten-week update. Marvelous!

And the humor category: forgetting that you have been wearing hubby's underpants ... Hilarious! The women at the pool might have thought you were wearing the new style!
 
Last edited:
@An54 First had to say, although I feel like my OS is pushing me a bit, there is no timeline as to where I have to be on what assisted device and when etc. Luckily I had my little visit to the ODIC club with the energy drain (not major pain thank goodness) in week two, so am really trying to find the right "push-pace" for me on the walking and the devices. I feel like my OS has more confidence in me than I do for myself sometimes, and take that as encouragement. Everything I do is punctuated rest and icing. So glad I don't have the complication of phsyio exercises for the hips as well. I am including in my walk times "activities of daily living", so I am more self sufficient, and hubs has less to do for me and the house, within my healing parameters :)

My physio here told me I'd have the 18 month wait, from getting an appointment with OS to the surgery date. I really really lucked out timing wise, with three new OS moving to our area on VI from Vancouver (for the Provence of Canada life style perhaps?!). The OS I was referred to originally retired during my referral process, and my OS was taking over, unbeknownst to me. I guess because the older OS was retiring, he was cutting back on his practice? There is a shortage of OR theatre here, and we hope that with the advent of the new hospital that is supposed to be built soon...site etc has been determined...that there will be more OR space. I went to my GP's office in early January this year, saw the locum, and within four weeks was called with a March date to see the OS. That date was then cancelled by his office and rescheduled for early April. He was booking into June at that point. Unfortunately I couldn't book as my 95 year old MIL had had a fall and husband had to fly out to to Bda to be there. MIL recovered, but DH had to go back in August to cover his sister, who was going to be away with her daughter. That was already booked, so I had to wait until September. I probably could have squeezed one hip in in June, but we were thinking bilateral at that point, and MIL still wasn't fully recovered.
Anyhow, it was almost unheard of really for things to go so relatively quickly, given the usual wait times. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time, thank the Lord!

I have heard that OSs in Canada (or maybe it is just BC) have a high unemployment rate, due to the fact there aren't enough available ORs. The physical infrastructure is limited. Seems crazy to me! However, I am forever grateful for this gift, and the second gift coming up on Nov 8...

I found it interesting to read that many in the UK will pay for private consult, as that is much faster, and then go on the NHS wait list for surgery with said surgeon...and that somehow speeds up the process. Do you think that might work here?!
 
have heard that OSs in Canada (or maybe it is just BC) have a high unemployment rate, due to the fact there aren't enough available ORs. The physical infrastructure is limited. Seems crazy to me! However, I am forever grateful for this gift, and the second gift coming up on Nov 8...
It's so interesting and surprising to hear this, about OR shortages. Seems not a difficult problem to solve with proper funds allocation. To hear of Canadian OS's highly unemployed?! Wow. Here we had many grumbling and talking about leaving their practice at the onset of affordable care act due to the burdens it would place upon their practices. But there is a wide assortment available. I just don't understand why a thriving Canadian province would fall behind in infrastructure. Is it something political or what? Not judging, have no idea about it, but I'm just curious and surprised. And totally unaware of how it all works up there to the north. And Vancouver is high on my list of potential retirement places (....if THAT ever happens!!) so I need to know! :)
 
I found it interesting to read that many in the UK will pay for private consult, as that is much faster, and then go on the NHS wait list for surgery with said surgeon...and that somehow speeds up the process. Do you think that might work here?!

It a mess here. Dr Brian Day has been doing battle in court for years over this private health care thing. The length of the court battle is absolutely Dickensian. Even if there are enough doctors to go around, there isn't the available time in the OR. I think Dr Day's private day-surgery clinic has been shut down now. Hub, who is a doctor, said one of the problems with the embryonic private system here is that a patient may be speedily admitted to aforesaid private clinic for surgery, but if anything goes sideways, they are shunted along to the already-crammed public hospital to get fixed and recuperate.
 
I don't understand it all, but it seems that the UK has both private and public health care streams. Is it working, generally speaking, in the UK? If so, can we do that here? Greater and lesser minds have been hammering away at this problem for some time.
 
I found it interesting to read that many in the UK will pay for private consult, as that is much faster, and then go on the NHS wait list for surgery with said surgeon...and that somehow speeds up the process. Do you think that might work here?![/QUOTE]

I'd not heard of that. It seems a bit dishonest! I saw the consultant very quickly after referral from the GP along with the X rays. But stupid me asked if I could postpone the operation as it would have meant retiring and I wasn't ready. But only a few months later my body decided it had had enough and I had to return and ask for the operation as quickly as possible. But I think I'd already sent the message that I wasn't so bad and that, plus being sent to cardio vascular surgeon for a check up and two of the hospital theatres being closed for refurbishment (?!), meant a very long wait. Mostly my fault I have to say looking back.
My sister had also 'refused' the operation as her husband was being treated for cancer. When she was ready she decided she couldn't wait any longer and paid to have it done privately in Spain but she only really gained 4 months.
I think the message for the UK is don't be brave and stoical! Doctors don't only go by Xrays but by how the patient presents themselves! I shall be thumping the table and sobbing a bit at my next appointment. And definitely no make up!
 
I don't understand it all, but it seems that the UK has both private and public health care streams. Is it working, generally speaking, in the UK? If so, can we do that here? Greater and lesser minds have been hammering away at this problem for some time.
It doesn't work. Lots of firms provide private health insurance but this isn't available for chronically sick,elderly etc. And e.g. my brother had treatment at a private hospital for a brain tumour and because there were complications he had to be rushed to an NHS hospital as they couldn't cope. (He's fine now)
(I won't get started on politics but I think our NHS is the most precious institution and hate that it's being deliberately underfunded and bits of it are being sold off to the likes of Branson)
 
@1stSurgery I don't know the answers, and as I said, I don't know how much is opinion, fact or fiction etc. as am just learning about the medical system here. We've been here six years without too many major medical issues. There was a lot of money recently allocated to joint surgery. Was asking my OS about and he said the allocation of funds was just a drop in the bucket and that it was "complicated". Perhaps @An54 can better educate us on this subject. It appears to me if one has a life threatening illness, it is dealt with promptly. For less dire issues, there is a wait for the more complex testing and some surgeries. I had a bone scan in May, that took three weeks from GP visit to actual test time. However MRI for back took from May request to October date. I had to call and say that MRI would have to be pushed up as I was having THR surgery. The powers that be made that happen, despite the original long wait. There is a shortage of GP's in BC. I'm not sure what is causing that. Perhaps the cost of medical school? I have read there is a big move to provide funding for those who want to study medicine in BC but again, I am not UTD on this. Other BCers here can weigh in. It isn't a perfect system, and I don't know how things work in other provinces. I've had three friends with different kinds of cancers, and they were treated promptly with excellent care. All three are doing really well, and that was care on Vancouver Island, in Victoria. The climate on the island is amazing, with multiple little mirco climates. Particularly on southern island. Canadians flock here to live, so many highly educated folk live in Victoria, and are expanding up to our area, still considered south island, for the life style it offers, within Canada.

I came from a private, pay through your nose, system in Bda, being shipped off to big city, east coast teaching hospitals for various issues that couldn't be treated on 22 sq miles , so have a good basis of comparison for the medical care here. I've been really impressed with it for the most part. No frills, but really good care and medical expertise. If you want to pay out of pocket that is an option. It is a lot less expensive than it would be in the US, but still expensive never the less. I believe in any system, one has to be one's own advocate, and that is true here. The squeaky wheel gets the oil faster!
 
Yes @bickypeg start on those rehearsals now for the next audition!! Go in with a walker with major limp and have someone assisting you, at your side. With Kleenex ready at hand for the tears.

4 months, re your sister, can be an eternity with bad OA in hips. How did she find the Spanish hospital system? I'm wondering if there is anywhere left with actual effective and humane health care? Asian countries maybe? We are about the sickest population, here in US, and have the highest infant mortality rate by far of all industrialized developed nations. And we have loads of money, see defense budget. We just went down again in our life span averages. We are obese, and have so much diabetes, heart disease, cancer and childhood disabilities and disorders. Everyone is on a gaggle of meds and getting sicker. I really wonder where there is a good functional working health care, not sickness care, system. Scandinavia? They generally tend to excel in most the quality of living data. Don't know.
 
@JoeKnows , you asked somewhere (can't find it now) about lawyers wearing gowns in court here.
Yes, they do--at least last time I was in court --as observer only, I assure you-- they were still wearing them. No wigs however. For the richest visual law court experience ever I recommend the Royal Courts of Justice on the Strand in London, if you get over that way. You can sit and observe applications for appeal; you get a nice summary of what went before, a bit of back & forth, and then listen to the ruling. The 'rich, visual' kick? the Gothic Revival architecture of the buildings, the judges and lawyers in wigs and gowns--everything sweeps you back over layers of legal history--and then there are the laptops that be-wigged and be-gowned lawyers use, so it's a real gumbo soup of old and new. I have been there again and again over the years for some possibly perverse reason; I don't care to investigate my inner motivations too much.

Anyway, one of the best experiences I had there was sitting in court when a new High Court judge was being invested or indoctrinated or ordained or whatever the term was. I guess he didn't have much in the way of friends and family, because there weren't too many observers on hand. I was one of only about a dozen people watching the sumptuous elaborate ceremony performed with all the regalia, all the pomp, gowns, wigs, declarations... it was cool! I should add that several years ago they dropped the requirement for wigs in civil cases. They are now only required for criminal cases.
 
Thanks @Alitm its all very intersting and you have a broad range of comparison with your background system. I used to live part time in France many years ago and was always so astonished when you'd go to the doctor and look for the "to pay" window on the way out, only to be told, "no charge!" What? You feel guilty leaving... like you're robbing a bank or something, walking out without paying. I was never very sick but I do recall feeling like their medicines over there were more potent or more targeted or simply more effective. Could have been my imagination ....and the combination of fabulous food and espresso aiding in my recovery!
 
Particularly on southern island. Canadians flock here to live, so many highly educated folk live in Victoria, and are expanding up to our area, still considered south island, for the life style it offers, within Canada.

Victoria is awesome, a great place to retire. I'd move there in a heartbeat. May do so someday. I have family there, and am headed over there next Wednesday for a visit, then up-island for more visiting. @Alitm, your aunt just died? So did mine. One of my reasons for going to the island next week was to see her, but she slipped away.
 
@An54 I am sorry to hear about your Aunt's passing. My sincerest condolences.

Yes my aunt just slipped away yesterday AM. My cousin had emailed me from Bda during the night to give me an update on Auntie's condition, and by the time I emailed back, he emailed to say she had passed.

Enjoy your time over here. I imagine you'll be quite close by for one of your visits..on Hillbank perhaps?!. If I was a little further along post-op, I'd say stop in for tea! I'm too busy resting for the next surgery at the moment!! In the Spring for sure you have to come for tea/coffee at the farm :)
 
Don't forget we need a hippy reunion when we're all healed and in kicking, dancing and walking form. Up there would be so nice. It may be in a year, but would be fun to plan. A fluffy, fun Canadian hippy road trip.
:rofsign:
 
So sorry you both lost beloved aunties the same time! :cry:
I have one aunt remaining who is 98 yrs old and sharp as can be.
Condolences to you both.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom