Guest viewing is limited

THR Heal first, then exercise, then dance!

@An54...
Enjoy your time over here. I imagine you'll be quite close by for one of your visits..on Hillbank perhaps?!. :)

@Alitm , I am indeed visiting my friend on Hillbank Road. I go back and forth to the Island periodically. So yes, in the spring, when you are feeling springier, we can arrange to enjoy a cuppa together. :)
 
@1stSurgery sister and brother in law have a house in Spain so a good place to convalesce. It's an area for lots of ex pat seniors I believe so she'd heard some good things about hip replacements. Very different from here and the US- she was in a week and kept in bed for several days with a catheter. Husband could stay overnight. She had to have a transfusion as she lost a lot of blood. Interestingly she didn't have any pre op swabs or blood tests for things like MRSA etc and certainly no Joint School. Said the consultant was 'cuddly' ! No transport from hospital after and no physio until 6 weeks apart from in the hospital learning to walk with a zimmer etc. Think she found it a very good experience and has made a full recovery.I daren't ask how much it cost! Her scar is much neater than mine but I suspect mine was more damaged? And I think language problems with the nurses.
 
... Your story mimics mine; contra, ballroom, swing...I danced all through my late 40s and 50s until the OA gradually closed in on me. By my early 60s I was sitting out more than I was dancing. After the first THR, I eased back into contradancing at 4 months....

...So you have many delightful times yet ahead. Just don't try to rush it. When you feel ready to try, do easy stuff at first. Moves with a lot of torque cause a lot of strain; avoid those. Walk step at first, and skip the twirls and flourishes. Yes, I know...that's the great fun of it...and it will come back...but ease your way gradually. I am here to tell you that overdoing it can set you up for tendonitis that will require months of rehabbing. It's just not worth it. Give yourself a full year (yes, really) for full healing, so you get many more years of fun dancing out of your hips.
.

@sharonslp Re: dancing again. I started going through the early posts on my thread to find the dancing advice offered. Because I am starting to feel so normal, I am champing at the bit (that's an idiom for you @Alitm !) to get out there again, and am wondering when the bone will have 'set' enough. There is a huge difference between 4 months and a full year, so I am hoping for feedback. When can I safely do those "twirls and flourishes" again? @SaraK , how has it been working out for you, dance-floor wise?
 
Don't forget we need a hippy reunion when we're all healed and in kicking, dancing and walking form. Up there would be so nice. It may be in a year, but would be fun to plan. A fluffy, fun Canadian hippy road trip.
:rofsign:

I believe it was @Bionic who mentioned earlier that she was planning a trip to Canada/Vancouver (?). Tagging her here so she is in the loop.
 
I think @Bionic was planning a west coast Canada visit, as is @Knitquilt, who's daughter lives in Vancouver. We will have quite a gathering :egypdance: Looking forward to it :flwrysmile:

@An54 I am watching your back to dancing progression, with the enjoyment of watching hippy friends getting back to the activities they have a passion for. I understand the desire to know that our implants are solid and firmly grafted before starting in on the fun stuff! For me I feel that some cross training will be necessary. Keep me linked in on your dancing fitness progression :happydance:!
 
@An54 & @Alitm Good! I didn't know about @Knitquilt too! This could be a sizeable group. I like the train ride idea too, well not sure about the mid winter one, California blood runs thin.. :). But an old train sounds so fun, with nice scenery. It would have to be when we are all well into full recovery. No ODIC club door knocking. I'm looking at 2019 to begin any travels in earnest again. And will have loads of work catchup after this slow ketchup double recovery saga as well. But ....if we plan well in advance -- it would be fun! We could stage a bonfire burning of long handled tools!
 
@An54 @Alitm
I was/still am planning a trip which includes Vancouver but as my knee is now bad (needs replacement) as does my other hip, the trip won't be next year.
Good news is that my right hip that was done in July is feeling really good.
That's great about the July hip @Bionic - I'm same with my June hip, he has settled in rather nicely and was a man of no complaints to speak of along the way. (Lefty was a male in my case...) So sorry about the knee now! But let us know dates as you get them. No one wants to travel with assitive devices before being recovered.
 
@bickypeg Thanks, that's all very interesting about Spain and your sister. I doubt they have the Hana tables there which are such an advancement for us anterior THR people. I like that they can repeatedly zip out X-rays in place during the surgery to assure precise size, placement, angles, etc. They cost @$80,000 but are worth it for this kind of surgery. I'm sure there were pros and cons for either place but am glad she's doing well and it seems to have worked out well for her. I really feel badly for those put on long waiting lists though, when in that kind of pain. It's brutal.
 
@An54 & @Alitm Good! I didn't know about @Knitquilt too! This could be a sizeable group. I like the train ride idea too, well not sure about the mid winter one, California blood runs thin.. :). But an old train sounds so fun, with nice scenery.

I think the Rocky Mountaineer would fit the bill, but that's rather pricey. You travel by day, and stop in a hotel for the night. That way you get to see everything, unlike that last train trip I took last fall on Train #1 "The Canadian", Toronto to Vancouver. Because the train was running so far behind schedule, we missed seeing the Rocky Mountains as we passed through them at night. We did get to see the Coastal Range though, so that was good. Also slept through the entire province of Saskatchewan. A few months ago the #1 Canadian arrived in Vancouver 45 hours late!!
 
@An54 I'd love to do the Rocky Mountaineer. We have friends in Philly who want to do that next year. So many fun things to look forward to! Need to start tucking away now! Too bad your ride had you sleeping through the Rockies. How much of the plains does one need to see anyway! I need to brush up on my Canadian geography and topography in the middle of the country! :whistle:
 
@Bionic Great news about your hip, not great news about your knee. My right knee started kicking up this summer, and I'm hoping it was due to the hip issues. Once I get second hip done next month, hoping all other issues will improve! Being straight helps! @An54 will be here whenever you decide to visit...just let us know! :)
 
Thanks for including me @Alitm - I’m shocked you remember that my daughter is in Vancouver! @1stSurgery I am ready, ready, ready (or will be in a few months!)

I haven’t been able to visit my daughter, and just writing this is making me tear up - but soon my hips and I will be ready! I certainly don’t think you should plan your trip around me, but my son is getting married June 15 so middle of June is out for me because I plan on being a dancing fool at his wedding!

I’ve been quiet on your threads, but have been following you both and finding both of you very inspirational!
 
And I’m in CT, a short train ride to NYC if anyone is out this way!
 
So we could probably plan a 2019 date if @Bionic has knee done in time? We can just wait and see what works best for anyone interested. I'd love to do a train by the Rockies!! (But in the daylight!) A huge fan of all mountains, I be!! Mountains excite me! And just think, we wouldn't be comparing notes about our IT bands, pain meds and crutches!! :rotfl:
 
@Knitquilt youre almost at your one year hippivesary for first THR! Congratulations in advance. That should mean bone grown. All in place! Must feel good. :) And congrats on sons wedding date as well. Much to look forward to.
 
@An54 what are ballpark prices for the rocky mountaineer? I could search it but the combo of the new meds with the pain meds seems to have magnified my dizzy brain fog feeling. And I need to do some work today, which should be funny.
 
Thanks for the congratulations @1stSurgery We are so happy for him! And I’m been using all my couch time sewing a quilt for his wedding - should be finished, oh, in about time for 5th year wedding anniversary :yes!:

So glad to see you doing better - your doctor’s visit should be very interesting!
 
Ok I looked. Can't believe how dizzy I feel with new med combo. Anyways it's about $1500 for a 4 day trip and $1200 for the 2 day one. Before hotels? As I guess these aren't sleepers? Didn't look that far. The 2 day VC to lake Louise looks nice!!
https://www.rockymountaineer.com/package-search
I don't know if those prices have seasonal changes but I'd imagine they would. Peak tourist season being highest.
Ok off to get his day going and hoping the odd meds effect wears off soon so I can form complete sentences!
ETA, 2 classes of service. The gold level is @$1700 for the 2 day trip, silver more like $1200. Hotels incl one night, but different caliber hotel with each pckg. So beautiful there!!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom