THR Heal first, then exercise, then dance!

@An54 Our views on travel sure do change don't they! I didn't think twice I'm all about comfort now! No more travel in the back of horse trailers and on freighters. You travels through Iran, Afghanistan, through Khyber Pass, at 19, sound fabulous. Not sure I'd be brave enough now to do that route...but then the world is a different place too, unfortunately!

I would think the poles would get in the way while trying to shop, or have a coffee in a cafe. Don't know what the answer is...a cane?

Good on you with the detox. I despise detox regimes, but they do help. When I cut out wheat, dairy (I cheat and put 1% milk in my tea) and sugar last year, I had a headache for days it seemed! Good luck with the real cranberry juice. Sounds like high test stuff for sure!

Oh good on the Pender site for hunkering down. I'm sure a hot shower and good pub food were a sailor's welcome! Glad you heard from the gents! Hope you sleep well tonight :)
 
@Alitm - if you go to the track at off times you can maybe find yourself not dealing with too many people. Depending how busy your track is. Back when I was walking (!) ( before evil right hip bit me) I would go to our track on a weekday early afternoon or sometimes at night (it's lit) and be nearly alone, very few other people. No one minded the cane and I think it's not so rare for recovering patients to use tracks. Give it a try when you get to that stage.

@An54 so glad you heard from the sailors! A pub meal in the rain doesn't sound bad at all! Reading about your walking poles and see your jumping on trains and busses .... Sounds daunting! All those moves where one has to move swiftly seem so far off from where I am now. The horror of a revolving door! What about a cane on escalators? Crossing the street too slowly when the lights change. These kinds of things...

You sound like you're doing very well though, hippie sister! Sewing, pubbing, mingling. Letting dishes pile up! I've become quite expert at that one. And I have a way to do it without feeling guilty. I make sure that the piling is highly organized and symmetrical. So it looks less like an unkempt kitchen and rather more like a Crate and Barrel display counter! They're still dirty dishes, but stacked oh so nicely.

Musing re dancing after hippy construction....
I had this weird thought earlier today. Kind of a pathos moment... I was quietly remembering what it felt like to dance and leap and spin. Even in my kitchen I'd do triple turns for fun while waiting for something to boil, just practicing head snaps. Such a free and light feeling. Then I suddenly got all sad and asked the air.... Will I ever be able to do multiple pirouettes again? Which hardly sounds like the tragedy of the decade, I know....but I don't really know if I can ever expect a full return of precise balance, etc. I don't know. What about the fun of a high kick? I'm taking this so day by day now that it was one of the rare times indulging in thoughts of "down the road" activities, after that year of bone growth and nerve weaving is over. I'm sure it's all possible, but does it mean starting over from scratch to regain the coordination, flexibility. And I just don't know. File under First world problems. I should be happy I've danced my way through so many decades of life already and leave it at that. See what 2019 brings!

Anyways, best of luck in the AntiTapiocaTorso campaign going forward, and on your friends (floral rayon?!) :no-fin: dress! She's lucky to have a friend who sews for her while recovering from surgery!
 
Last edited:
Strange isn't it. Just watched Strictly Ballroom, Kinky Boots and Footloose over 3 nights. Not that I was ever much of a dancer but it's one thing I'd loved to have done more of. I've dreamed twice recently I was dancing. At the moment I'll just settle for being fit enough to go and see Northern Ballets Nutcracker in December.
 
Hi. I have been enjoying your posts but just wondering. I was a Rock and roll jive for years until a tear ago. I am 3 months out of right the and physio told me Las week I would never be able to swivel or twist around on ball of foot re possible dislocation. I am hoping that is not true. Has anyone else heard that. Understandable at 6 weeks maybe but not forever I hope.
 
People keep telling me of hippies who've gone on to play football, ski, do Zumba...seems strange to me. but I'm sure the girls on here will know.
 
@An54
I have 2 poles and before I use them was thinking of attaching some velcro which could then go round my wrists so that I don't drop them.
I live in rural Wales. I need to drive to get anything. The nearest shop is 9 miles away, up and down hills. Luckily a big supermarket delivers so thats how I get my weekly groceries. You can't be spontaneous though :-)
Glad the sailors are ok.
 
@1stSurgery and @An54 As you both yearn and look forward to dancing again, I have the very similar feelings of riding again, and dancing with my horse. I am taking thing day to day to get to surgery, and sometimes the rehab looks like Mt. Everest, and there will be so much to not do before I can do again! What a journey and as you say @1stSurgery says, a first world problem for sure. I also feel that I am so fortunate and blessed to be able to have this surgery, and I shouldn't ask for more. However, my thought for the day is, if we honour this surgery and do the patient rehab time and slowly build up our muscles again, the muscle memory is there, so we should be able to have some form of what we would like to do physically again. My OS surgeon fully supports me riding again, but after he does his job, then I have to do my job to get to where I want to go. We can do this :SUNsmile:
 
Yaay, good for you, An54!!

I had a similar experience, ie the waiting. I too was a dancer, actually a dance teacher, Spanish Flamenco and tap for adults. I danced for many years and no one was more surprised than me to be told at 60 that I would need a hip replacement. I hung out for as long as I could after that but finally had to have it done at 64. So know and understand your apprehension.

Well the worst is over now, and your recovery journey is about to begin.

I just know with your positive attitude that you will come through all this with flying colours. I too found the advisors here to be fabulous and always such a comfort to me when I was feeling down.

All the best and I look forward to seeing your posts on the Hip Redovery forum.

Cheers - Skydove :angel:
 
... but just wondering. I was a Rock and roll jive for years until a tear ago. I am 3 months out of right the and physio told me Las week I would never be able to swivel or twist around on ball of foot re possible dislocation. I am hoping that is not true. Has anyone else heard that. Understandable at 6 weeks maybe but not forever I hope.

I find this hard to believe unless there are other complicating factors, but it's the medical people who should weigh in here.
 
@1stSurgery , dance again? a 'full return of precise balance'? I don't see why not. Be sure to check out this thread: https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/dancing-after-thr-4-months-pics.5332/ To be sure, she is a very young woman, and we are not. But I would like to believe that we are not completely bereft of our recharging and regenerating powers. Let's go for it! (In between long RESTS of course.)

BY the way, about walking poles-- I used them a lot before surgery. If you are walking around using Nordic walking poles, you can pretend you are training for a triathlon or something. It's hard to pull off that look when rattling by with a walker/zimmer frame. Post-surgery however, their charm is wearing off. I found I was more impatient, and the poles were inconvenient when going shopping, with variations of the following scenario unfolding at the til: when digging out your wallet, one pole falls down on the floor. Bend over precariously trying to pick up one pole without falling yourself, and having to be bodily hoisted up to your feet again by the ten people in line behind you. Pack groceries in back pack, try to manage poles, and purse, and buggy, and umbrella, etc. Then I tried one pole only (like using one cane), which gave me extra space and safety on public transportation.
 
Last edited:
@ckred @An54
My OS did say that I would be able to dance again, although we never actually discussed the type of dancing.

@Skydove
I was doing tap dancing 3 times a week before I had my hip problems. I am hoping to get back to it at some stage
 
... if we honour this surgery and do the patient rehab time and slowly build up our muscles again, the muscle memory is there, so we should be able to have some form of what we would like to do physically again. My OS surgeon fully supports me riding again, but after he does his job, then I have to do my job to get to where I want to go. We can do this :SUNsmile:[/USER]



@Alitm

Hear! Hear! Count me in. We will dance (yes triple turns) and ride horses and hike and cycle... we can do this :)
 
@ckred @An54 @Alitm I have not danced for many years, but took class for decades, was in a few shows including one on Broadway, and boogied on a platform behind [cough[ Grand Funk Railroad. I miss being flexible, and for the past year I have been unable to get up off the floor from a stretch without holding onto something, which truly horrified me.

I've been off the cane for a few days. Twice now I've walked for 30 minutes, outside, in two stints. I have just begun climbing the stairs normally. Today my inner thigh muscles were sore and I was like Uh-oh, what's wrong, and realized it was just that I had been ... using them ... a "good sore."
 
I've dreamed twice recently I was dancing. At the moment I'll just settle for being fit enough to go and see Northern Ballets Nutcracker in December.
Love those dreams @bickypeg! I was only jumping up and down in my dream the other day. But I've often had the airborn leaping ones. There's something about being up off the ground, "flying" for a brief moment... Love those. I do hope those of us who danced will continue to. In some form!
 
Thanks @An54 re assuaging my fears about the potential pirouette loss! I will check out the thread and keep the faith. I think the brief panic comes from this very long period of being barely mobile now, contrasted against a lifetime of such fluid mobility. I really miss that, and yes..we will regain, relearn, reconstitute it all over again. And be kicking and spinning and flying. :dancy:
 
Today I am 8 weeks post op. One objective of mine from the get-go was to never darken the doors of the ODIC, (Over Did It Club) so I took the no-outside PT/no-exercise approach to heart. Everyone is different and has their own health history and pre-existing conditions, and so the best approach varies from one person to another, but I decided on what I call the rest cure for myself. Also, one of the reasons I took the no-outside-PT approach was because I did not know of any good PT person, and a nurse also told me all the good ones were booked months in advance, so I bypassed that whole thing. I decided that simply walking was the best exercise during the healing phase.

I have spent these first weeks gradually increasing my walking and household chores, eventually grocery shopping, etc. To recap, I used a walker around home for a month, then walking poles outside for about three weeks. Today I went out walking for a couple of hours with no poles. I took a small backpack for shopping, ran some errands, window shopped. It felt okay, but I was tired when I got home. I don't think I was limping, or if so, it was very little. Hip got a little weeny tweaky after a while, but all is well now. No pain. I wish I could announce that I am doing brilliantly, but the fact is that I am still so stiff, and slow, and creaky. I wonder sometimes when I first stand up and straighten up if arthritis is raging up and down my back. But then I loosen up a bit. I went to the pool a couple of days ago and that was good. It looks like the next phase will be increasing activity to become fitter and more flexible. Also want to lose the superfluous 15 pounds of butter strapped to my waist. Can I do it---become stronger, fitter, more agile, and fit into my clothes? Looking forward to reading my own update about six months from now! :)
 
Last edited:
Yes you will do it...and things will be splendid.
All that is lost can be regained...I'm living proof of it, in my opinion.
Keep the faith!
 
You can do it!
While you've made great strides over the past two months, you're very early into recovery.
They say it takes a full year to heal and I've read more than once it can take up to 2, even 2 1/2 yrs.
So...in the whole scheme of things, you're in the infancy of your recovery. You're doing it right. You just need to be patient and that is the difficult part. Hope you have a peaceful evening.
@An54
 
I love that bouquet of pretty flowers you left, Alitm
So sweet and kind of you.
Hope you have a nice night and a great weekend!
@An54
 
Back
Top Bottom