Having revision THR Oct. 17--- femur may get broken

Status
Not open for further replies.
i know, I do trust them, it is just very scary. hopefully it will all go well. I still have 26 days until surgery :what: i need to hang in until then!!!
 
Hello AnneR

It is so tough sometimes to trust your surgeon when you have faced so many surgeries! I know, because I had 3 surgeries on my right knee due to MRSA. Fast forward 3 years 3 years and 4 months and everything is finally falling into place. If I hadn't found a surgeon like the one I had, I would have been scared to death. I am so glad you found OS's you can trust. Sometimes that is all we can do, is put our faith into their skills and know that "we will come out stronger on the other side!" I wish you much success, and I will be praying for you! :angel:
 
Surgery of any kind is scary. But going into it with all the unknowns is even harder. Spend your pre-op days here with us. We understand your fears and will do everything we can to help you through this journey.
 
thanks so much i do appreciate it!! 26 days to go:happydance:
 
AnneR,
It really produces anxiety. The night before I was really anxious. I would recommend having a family member and or one or two friends around the night before so they can help you with stuff or even just relaxing. You don't need to bring much to the hospital. You will be on the hospital gown all the time but bringing whatever gives you comfort is important; just to have it close to you.
I think the dr. told you the bone might break as an honest way for you to know what could happen. It wouldn't be good if it breaks and you didn't know before hand it could have happened. May be it won't break. Don't worry. You said you trust them, and as you said, there are 9 doctors planing this surgery, the best ones in Boston!! Try to do things that keep you occupied from now to that day in October. See your friends, eat nice food, watch a nice movie. . . whatever makes you happy. It's a good way to relax in the meantime. Leave the worries to the 9 doctors.
 
My OS told me that there was a 50% chance that my femur would break during my THR. I was lucky and it didn't happen. It is good that our surgeons want to inform us of all the risks beforehand. I don't think they realize how frightening that can be for us though.
 
ok, just found my thread for posting. I also posted it in post op, because I was looking for someone who already had it done and had experience with a broken femur. I have not found anyone. So I guess I will be the first to post on here. My surgery is Oct 17, and my pre-op visit is Oct 2. I should find out more info on Oct 2. thanks for your support. I will be backv:umm:25 days until my surgery!!!
 
Good luck with your pre op next week Anne, from there the days will really fly by quickly :)
 
@AnneR...
I'm not sure where you stand with this, but I know we sometimes reach out for comfort, sometimes for answers that our doctors do not give. Perhaps you are in such distress that what you need are friends who just simply care. I'm pretty sure that there are few that have gone through your horrible path of hips and bones. I hurts...a lot, but keep reaching out. Someone out there has experienced similar issues. We all care and doctors know a whole lot more than we give them credit.
I'm such a newbie here, I can't offer any medical advice. Just know that there are SO many folks in this forum who read, study, advise, and suffer along with each other. Please continue to seek comfort and help. :blush:
 
I'm very new on this forum, but I wanted to stop by and wish you the best on your upcoming surgery, I hope there's no break, but if there is you have a whole *team* working on you - that's comforting in a way, right? And they have planned the whole thing including anything out of the ordinary.

Hang in there, I'll be looking for you in a couple of weeks on the other side of surgery! :yay:
 
AnneR I don't know if this is any help to you, but my femur 'broke' in theatre and was wired. This was a primary hip replacement though, not a revision. It healed very quickly, and apart from having to toe-touch weightbear on crutches for 9 weeks - which did my head in - it didn't cause me any problems.
 
Thanks, I appreciate all the support. I hope all goes well, I went to Boston last Wed to talk to the doc and came home more scared and upset. he was not reassuring at all!!! No bedside manner. My husband wanted to find another doc. But my doctor keeps telling me how "thin" and "weak" my femur is because of the stem in there now. So I am in constant risk of breaking my femur as I walk. I left there feeling worse then ever. :sorry: I asked him what the "group of 9 doctors said" and his answer was "good luck" Who says that??? esp a doc to a patient. Oh well I am still going through with it. I don't feel that I have much choice. I am feeling anxious and scared .:sigh:
 
TeeEm tell me a little more about your femur break. Was it very painful? did you wear a brace? anything else that would be helpful

Thanks,
 
AnneR, it's really too bad that your doc has no bedside manner,
or any manners at all for that matter. I think he is a big factor in
your fear of the upcoming surgery. Sometimes people can be
very good at what they do, but not so good dealing with people,
and it sounds like he is this way. You have to try to look past that,
and trust his skill in the OR, and believe that whatever happens in there
you will come out of this better off. yes, you may have to recover a little
longer while you heal, but in the long run you will be better off with newer
technology, prosthesis and techniques.
I'm sure Josephine will be saddened to hear how your recent appt went, because
the last thing you should hear from your OS is that he and the team are
not confident in how the surgery will go. It sounds like he is a "debbie downer"
type of person, and he should stick to surgery and not patient consultation!
Keep your head up, before you know it the 12 weeks of non weight bearing
will be over, and you will start walking with a hip that feels better and you can
get on with your life.
:flwrysmile:
 
hi, well i have had quite a year! I had my surgery on oct 17. my femur didn't break during surgery like my doctor thought it might. The recuperation went well, slow because of bone grafting but i seemed to be on track. my doctor did continue to tell me that my femur was thin. i continued using one crutch. in march my femur did break.:( not a hugh break in half, but a hairline fracture.
in April i had another surgery. he but a cadaver on my femur and a metal plate. in may things seemed to look good but went i went in june they didn't. instead of my femur healing the cadaver bone bent with it and eventually broke. i am now still on non weight bearing status and looking at a third surgery. i went to see another doctor in Boston and his idea was to put in a longer stem to go past the break. my concern is what will happen to my femur when they take this one out. this one has only been in leg for one year.:(
i am going to see someone else at HSS in NY. hopefully he can give me guidance. his speciality in bone growth and regeneration. so hopefully. i would love to go to HSS for surgery but it is out of network and could cost me a lot. But it is worth the try to find out. my appointment is in the morning so i will let you know.
 
Hi @ AnnieR...what a year you've had! You must be so fed up with all this..I do hope your appointment at HSS goes well x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
am going to see someone else at HSS in NY. hopefully he can give me guidance. his speciality in bone growth and regeneration

@AnneR , sounds like you saw one of the top revision OS docs at HSS. What did he recommend?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom