Having my first Knee Replacement July 9th 2014**Nervous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, i'm just 11 days out of having my left knee replaced. I too was contemplating getting both done at the same time and spoke to a friend of a friend who had it done and thought I couldn't ever do that.

My big problem is, I can't take pain medication. I was on Percocet in the hospital got excruciating migraine headaches came home taking half the dose of Percocet and wound up with the same kind of headache situation. I tried Norco and tramadol separately of course and neither took any pain away. So I think I'm a good barometer for you to say that once you get over the first couple days the pain does subside a bit. If You're lucky enough to tolerate pain meds and they work for you then you should be in great shape. I was petrified of this as well. And still don't know when the heck I'll get the next knee done. Right now never.

One of my big problems is, I don't have a lot of patience for this. Luckily my husband and daughter are very very supportive which helps a lot. I agree with the other people if you need to have your family watch the YouTube video of the operation. That should do it. My PT guy said he couldn't watch it. Don't you watch tho.

Don't know if this helped you a little, these boards have been fantastic! Good luck to you.

@ madinana My husband had to have 2 shots a day for the time he was in the hospital and then 2 shots a day for 9 days after. They are given in the stomach.
Same with me. Morning shot on the right, evening shot on the left just so I could keep track and not poke the same spot all the time.

I had bilateral on April 8th. I decidde not to go to a nursing for rehab. I think it varies by state, but here they only to guarantee 30 min a day of PT. (Plus their ratings weren't great. I had to kind of fight for it with insurance but finally got approved for 10 days of inpatient rehab. They had to guarantee 3 hrs a day of PT and they included 1 hr of OT. I also had a bilateral or could not have gotten it approved. It was well worth it and I highly recommend it..

@Phil75070 One thing I think a nurse did at the hospital, when injecting my husband. they pressed the part that shoots the cover over the needle while it was still in him. I didn't see them do it, but there is a bruise on each side of his stomach just about that size. Those were the only two bruises from it.

@tiredwife Bruising happens with these shots. Not with every shot, but I would get a bruise from time to time whether it was a shot given to me by a nurse or one I gave myself. You just want to avoid giving another shot in or too close to the bruised area I was told.

@Phil75070 It wasn't just a bruise - they had that perfect circle in the middle of them that was just the right size. Wish I had taken a photo of them. Yes, he had a few other much smaller bruises.

@madinana Before I forget, take shorts for the hospital. That way you can wear your own clothes and the nurses still have easy access to your knee.

@tiredwife I thought about that good idea will do that for sure. How is your hubby today Hope all is well. I must say the kindness from you and so many others is amazing. I am so thankful for the information and thankful I found this site by accident. I hope you all have a wonderful painfree day. I have to go to wedding. I will be doing a little more walking than usual, This damp weather Does not like me with my RA so it seems to get my hips and knees letting me know they are alive :rofsign:

@Las Vegas Grandmom I am a little worried about percocet, I usually can't keep it down, so I will be glad when see surgeon to answer questions about how his plan will be. Have a nice day, and no pain for you

@ madinana My husband had a rough night and morning. His thigh muscle keeps tightening up. He had to go back to taking his pain meds closer together. I think little set backs are common. It is easing up some now (pain level is a 3 or 4.
We did go out to breakfast this morning. A local church has a community breakfast the 2nd saturday of each month. All you can eat for $3. He wasn't about to miss out on that.
Hope you have a good time at the wedding:flwrysmile:

@sleenie are you glad you did both? How long did you stay at Rehab?

I'm very glad I did both. Not sure when or if I would have done the 2nd knee. Besides, neither of my knees were in good enough condition to support the other one. For me that has always been the best solution and had to search for a doctor willing to do both and experienced at it. I spent 4 days in the hospital and 10 days in Inpatient Rehab. I live alone so that was important to me. My son came in for one week after and then I was alone. A challenge but doable. I've been in outpatient rehab for 3 weeks. In home was a waste of time for me.

One of my big problems is, I don't have a lot of patience for this.
I firmly believe that about 99.999% of us all said the very same thing---but, lo and behold, we reached deep sown inside of ourselves and found strength and patience that we did not know that we had.

Just think about how much patience you've had with your bad knees. And that will never end and likely get worse. So you have already exhibited patience, now a little bit more (well, maybe a lot) but there will be n end in sight.If you don't do the surgery, your patience will be tested forever. Hang in there, you can do it.

Hi Madinana, my TKR is the day before yours and my TKR class is June 16th. The countdown has begun, and like you I am feeling nervous and a little apprehensive. On the other hand, I just want to get it over with, so I don't have to think about it any more (the surgery it self).

I've got a book about TKRs, I've been reading recovery threads and articles here on Bonesmart, and I have watched TKR videos on You Tube. I am especially grateful for the information here on Bonesmart. We are fortunate to have all this information at our finger tips aren't we.

I have a question hoping somebody can help me. I am looking at a Breg Polar Care cube machine is this the right one everyone is talking about, I found it on Breg site and its cheaper than amazon. Figure it would be a good investment as will have to get my other knee done too

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks