Guest viewing is limited

PKR Having LTKR and praying for a successful outcome…”

@sistersinhim that’s a great idea. I just want to risk in a hot epsom salt bath and watch the ducks swim on the lake. Not sure if I can get in a tub just yet, incision is healed and looks great but I guess I’ll wait until I see the OS on Tuesday. My knee is just sooo tight, I can bend it but it’s as stiff as a board, what’s that all about?
 
A hot pool would be bad for your knee right now since you are still swelling. That tightness is the result of swelling, both inside and outside. Inflammation causes swelling. Heat feeds inflammation, ice restricts it. That's why that hot pool would cause even more tightness, (swelling) in your knee.

I cool pool would be fine as long as you wouldn't do too much walking around. Water adds restriction, which is like using weights on your leg. That's not good. But sitting and relaxing in a cool pool sounds great as long as you have no scabs or open spots at all, not even from the staples of stitches.
 
At only 4 weeks post op, you are going to have some pain and swelling, but your aggressive rehab is adding to it, as well as the times you’ve admitted you’ve overdone activity.

I say the following because I care about you, if you want less pain and swelling, stop doing things that increase it. :console2:
 
@Jockette , yes ma'am I hear you and that's what I have done all day, absolutely nothing but ice/elevate and I feel a little better, but just have the blues and want to get out in the beautiful weather. I did ride my stationary bike for a few minutes, I was so proud that I can finally go all the way around...:upright:
 
You are a week ahead of me and I am starting to get excited about doing things and going places and then if I over do it, even just a little, it gets my attention fast. I think at this point, patience is the hardest thing to achieve when all you want to do is get on with your life. I’m tired of my soft muscles and can’t wait to strengthen but it will come after more healing takes place. I’m grateful my recovery seems solid and know there are brighter days ahead where 90% of my thoughts are NOT about my knee replacement. So sorry you have the blues, they get me too. But they will lift!
 
Full rotation! Score! :yay: I hear you about getting down about not being able to do normal things yet and wanting to get outside. Can you get out for a short walk or even sit outside? I found that just having a little bit of outdoors can help when you're feeling frustrated and cranky about the long healing process.
 
@RaeRae1 it is much better every week and riding the bike really feels good. I’m from the Asheville area and my mom’s family was from Black Mountain so small world….:) :-) (:
it was a good day, although I’m having terrible cramps at night, bought some tonic and magnesium foam to use and I hope that helps. Trying to take gabapentin at night to see if that helps. @kneeper i did get outside, fed my koi and talked to my neighbor, that felt really good, almost normal. My knee is stiff but I’m icing/elevating and taking it slow. I know I have a long journey ahead and I told my friends I didn’t want company because I didn’t feel like entertaining anyone.

My new PT Dr. Ewa has my thigh feeling almost normal. She did dry needling, cupping and strength training and I left walking better that I have in weeks. I credit her with my new found confidence in getting better and stronger. I’m learning patience because I’m not good at waiting. Dr. Ewa says that over the next few weeks we will get my knee better than it was before and I believe her….:thumb:

Thanks guys for this forum, all your post and comments and for being a beacon in these dark days we all must go through.
 
You might also try some gentle stretches before you go to sleep for the leg cramps. That's something my PT recommended when I would waking up periodically with charley horse during my recovery. You can ask your PT about that too.
 
Well today I saw my OS for my 4 week check up and he was sooo impressed with my ROM 117 and 0 on extension…:happydance: I told him my new PT doctor and Bonesmart.org were responsible. My x-rays looked awesome and he said I did not need to continue formal PT just to ride my bike and walk. I told him that if he had seen me last week it would have been a different story. I told him I still had the night cramps and if I overdid it while feeling good I still needed to ice/elevate and he said that was ok. He said it takes time to heal and to be patient with my new knee. Dr. Aluisio is a great OS, he’s known as the surgeon’s surgeon because so many doctors have him perform their surgeries and I hear he is the best on revisions.

I know everyone‘s recovery is different and I read a lot of post and people are discouraged with their recovery, but just remember that you have to be your own advocate and when something doesn’t feel right it’s up to you to make the change! Remember if it hurts don’t do it and especially don’t let anyone else hurt you, stop them immediately!!!….:no-fin:
 
Doupie-woohoo for such a great assessment from your OS. I’m 4 weeks out tomorrow but still won’t see mine for another two weeks. We are very fortunate to have good outcomes so far. It’s sad how many people continue to suffer from many aspects of knee replacements. Prayers for all recovering. ❤️
 
Wow, @Doupie! Great report! It wasn't too long ago that you were really worried about your ROM and look at you now! So glad that you found what works for you.
:yay:
 
Congratulations & thanks for posting your great update!
 
I was happy to post this and I hope it helps someone who’s struggling to see that there’s light at the end of the tunnel. I have a girlfriend who is suffering greatly and really needs to have both knees replaced but she’s terrified of surgery and refuses to get it done. I keep encouraging her and I told her that once you get past the first two weeks things should improve. I read a lot of post and my heart breaks for what my fellow members are going through…:sad:
 
Happy 3-month An-KNEE-versary, @Doupie ! :flwrysmile:

Hope you are continuing to do well in your recovery. Give us a quick update when you have a chance.
 
@benne68 thanks sooo much for this missive…:)
I’m having a wonderful recovery and it’s amazing how fast these 3 months have gone by. I’m walking normally and I’m trying to stay out of the ODIC but it’s really hard. We just returned from a vacation at the beach and it was so much fun, salt water, sand and lots of sun!!!

My knee still gets stiff and tight but the Tylenol helps a lot and massage/KT tape as well. I found the most wonderful PT and she is awesome. She really helped me through this process and I can call her anytime I run into an issue, she’s a blessing.

I’m looking forward to the holidays and I know that my knee will only get better with time. My OS says I’m doing great and I won’t see him for nine months. I had a very rocky start with this surgery but thank God it’s only gotten better.

I thank God that I found this board and for all the positive people on here who provide valuable advice and help. You guys are “Rockstars” and much thanks and love to all of you…:thankyou:
 
Happy Four Month Anniversary!
Hope you have a lovely holiday season and a happy, healthy New Year!
@Doupie
 

Staff online

  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom