Guest viewing is limited

PKR Having LTKR and praying for a successful outcome…”

The OS came in and changed my meds, thank God. This is the strangest hospital. My knee is not elevated, I’m just using ice packs which aren’t very cold….
But the meds are kicking in and I finally fell asleep.
Thanks guys for all your help…
 
Ice packs tend to only be cold for a very short while before needing changing. Unfortunately, as I found out, with all the wraps around your knee, it's hard for the cold to penetrate. The ice machine would penetrate somewhat after a while, but it wasn't until a few days later when they removed all the wraps that the ice machine would be effective and my leg would really get iced. I'm glad the OS finally came in and fixed the pain issues.
 
From your photo, I see you have a pillow at your feet. You need to have a slight bend in your knee. To have a little bend is much less painful than trying to keep the knee totally straight. Try to get a small bend and it should not be as painful.

I pray that you have found some good pain relief.
 
@sistersinhim they told me to keep my leg straight and I’m confused because I used the lounge doctor last time and it worked great. I experience pain when my leg is straight, but the PT person said not to place anything under my knee because it would cause it to not straighten. What should I do? I mean the only way to elevate in the hospital was with a couple of pillows, but trying to keep the knee straight was somewhat painful so I didn’t do it. My OS was very pleased that my knee is not really swollen, so I guess that’s good news.

Being home I feel so much better and I get to shower tomorrow. The weakness is unreal, I mean I got up to make a sandwich and could only eat half of it, loss of appetite, but a wave of exhaustion hit me in the kitchen and my husband had to help me back to the bedroom. Wow, I was light headed, dizzy and seeing sparkle, thought I might pass out. I understand I need to reset and take it easy but I didn’t think making a sandwich would wipe me out like this…UGH….:groan::yawn:

Sleep eludes me and I‘m catching 2-3 hour power naps. I wanted to write more when I was in the hospital but mentally and physically I just couldn’t. After what I went through I don’t know how anyone does this outpatient, but the OS said if my nerve block had worked I wouldn’t have felt any pain for 3 days. I”m being very gentle with my baby knee and doing heel pumps, leg lifts and heel slides, plus walking. Trying to not take so many pain pills but I need some relief from the pain when I get up. I can barely stay awake writing this so I’ll sign off for now.

Thanks again guys for being a great resource, I told several people to join and hw valuable the information is that you receive from this source….:thumb:
 
Here is our article on elevation:

Forget about the leg lifts for now, save your strength. All you need this early in recovery is very gentle bends and short walks, which will give your knee mobility.

Your body is going into healing overdrive which is why just making a sandwich exhausted you. :console2:
 
Your PT is incorrect when he says if you keep a slight bend in your knee that it won't go straight. That's a scare tactic to make you do something that is very uncomfortable for just about everybody. Use your Lounge Doctor unless your doctor tells you not to.
 
Well today is my 11th day and I am doing sooo much better. Pain is under control and I am walking using a cane.
I‘m not sure if I am going to continue PT, I hurt so bad when I go and I think doing gentle exercises at home is the best route for me. My husband doesn’t agree and feels that I should stick with an expert who will help me rehab in the correct way. I‘m scheduled to go on Monday and Thursday for PT and OS follow up appointment on Tuesday.

I thank God for Bonesmart, I have been doing gentle exercises today and walking, took a shower and was feeling like a million bucks until I hit a wall. ODIC was were I landed and boy the pain kicked me in the butt, I forgot I’m less than 2 weeks out from the surgery and my baby knee just couldn’t take it. I know better but it felt so good with the pain under control and I thought I was super woman…:loll:yeah right!

Slow and easy is the way to go And from now on that is what I’m going to do.
 
I‘m not sure if I am going to continue PT, I hurt so bad when I go and I think doing gentle exercises at home is the best route for me.
Only you can decide what is best for you. We have members who have never done formal PT and have successful recoveries; we have members who swear by PT; and we have members who are in between.

Much depends upon the therapist. If he/she understands that recovery from surgery requires a gentle approach, then it can be helpful. Unfortunately, many treat all patients like athletes rehabbing from a sports injury. That "no pain, no gain" approach does NOT work for us!

If PT/exercise causes you intense pain the next day, you are doing more than your traumatized knee can handle at this stage of your recovery. As you note, you are barely two weeks into a year-long recovery. Be kind to that knee; give it time and it will heal.

:flwrysmile:
 
Another issue is he doesn’t want me to use ice. He says that a few years ago the use of ice was found to do more harm than good, even the inventor of the R.I.C.E. Method is changing his position on this as well. I told him that my iceman machine was the biggest help in getting me through the pain. Have you guys heard of this?

PT says the inflammation needs to run it‘s course and ice hinders that. I told him they used ice in the hospital and he said they don’t know what the latest modalities for recovery from surgery…ugh
I told him I can’t make it without ice, he said he understood. I’m elevating and icing right now. Please let me know if any one else has experienced this….
 
We have had a few members who didn't use ice because their surgeons felt the same way as you posted above.

In this recovery there are many conflicting opinions. That’s all they are, opinions. Which means your opinion also counts. You are allowed to decide which way is the best for you, for your recovery.
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

I’m sorry these other people are causing you so much stress. :console2:
 
@Jockette thanks so much for responding and it is stressful dealing with all the differing opinions. I just know that the ice helps me tremendously.
 
I have been on Bonesmart for 5 years. I have over 30,000 posts, which means I’ve also read at least that many. I have read so many different opinions on “how we should recover.” I’ve learned there is no “should.” Its ok for us to each find ways that help us the most. What works for one, doesn’t work for someone else. One’s preference is not the preference of another.

All our medical teams have different opinions.

With this many opinions it’s obvious, there’s no “one right way“ to recover. Instead, there are many. The “right” way, is the one that works for you.

Do what makes you feel as comfortable as you can, with ice, with exercises, with eating, with where you sleep, with what walking device you use and when you use it, with any and every aspect of this recovery. It’s not about who says what we should do, it’s about what helps us get through our own recovery, especially the awful early days and weeks.

Right now, so soon after such a major surgery, you are very vulnerable. The last thing you need is too many people hassling you over every little detail. I’m so sorry this is happening.

Take a deep breath and try to relax. We’re here for you. :console2:
 
@Jockette I love you and you are so right! I’m going to do the things that work for me and let all these people pulling me this way and that just go to hell. I’m tired of everyone’s opinion and I realize that the only opinion that counts is mine…
 
You go, girl! :yay:
 
@benne68 you were so right, I switched physical therapist and today was the absolute best session ever. The young lady I went to today was so gentle and so helpful in getting my knee, thigh and calf to calm down from the torture I suffered on Monday….:hairpulling: I couldn’t believe the difference and after I iced/elevated my swelling and stiffness were reduced greatly as well.

I should have listened to my inner self telling me to stop the torture at PT, but Monday was the absolute worst with his pressuring me to get to 90 ROM. I was at 88 when I visited him the first time and then it just got progressively worst visit after visit until it was at 81 and he was determined to get it back…UGH
I told them I would not be back because I was suffering greatly from the modalities used in my rehab and that our philosophies were just to different. He started out one way but then changed course, especially this last session. They just can’t stay away from the “NO Pain, NO Gain” philosophy.

I’m at the 4 week mark and today I feel happy that I had this surgery. I’ve been feeling a little blue and not quite myself, experiencing a lot of pain and trying to wean off pain meds, it’s been really hard. This struggle is real and it’s hard trying to be normal, if you know what I mean. We had friends over who brought dinner and watched pre-season football, but all I wanted to do was go upstairs and ice/elevate and sleep. I know they mean well but how do you excuse yourself without being rude.

I return to my OS on the 30th, it will be interesting to see what he has to say. I realize this is a year long recovery and I have 48 weeks to go…yay How long on average do TKR recipients do PT? I just want to go to my lake house and rest/recuperate on my own. I can do my own rehab at my own pace, so I think I will go after my doctor‘s visit And start doing what I know is best for me…..:thumb::thumb:
 
I had my 2nd replacement 8 months ago, same surgeon, after both surgeries my surgeon did not recommend PT as he said the knee will heal in its own time, on my first surgery I only attended PT as the physiotherapist is a family friend and he was superb and very gentle l, I wish I had listened and followed his advice after my 2nd surgery, at 4 weeks after a remarkable start, the appointmented physiotherapist pushed my knee a tad too far, knocking my recovery back almost 1 month, since that fateful day, I have done very little PT and my recovery albeit slow is going OK considering the leg had more damage than my left one.
You need to do what you think is best for you, I use Ice frequently, very frequently at the beginning now only at night or if I've had a busy day, both the physiotherapist & surgeon are in favour and suggested I Ice for at least another year.
On both surgeries, I only stopped medication when I felt I no longer needed it, and this was almost at the end of the 3rd month so unless you are pain free take what you need, all you are doing is setting yourself up for more pain abd that will inhibit your recovery.
Regarding well meaning friends, they will understand, just say great to see you but my knee takes preference and it chooses rest & Ice they will understand.
Enjoy your lake house, I'm certain that's your best medication for your recovery for now :)
 
I’m at the 4 week mark and today I feel happy that I had this surgery.
So glad to read this! I didn't start to feel happy I had the surgery until about 3 months post-op, so you are well ahead of the game.

When it comes to PT, each of us is different. Some of our members never attended formal PT, instead relying on ADLs (activities of daily living) and have recovered just fine. Others attend for a few weeks and then quit when they feel they can do the exercises on their own. Others continue for months.

You have to find what works for you.

I agree with @Sara61 -- some time away at the lake house is probably the best therapy of all!
 
I’m going to be honest, it’s only been 4 weeks and I’m really tired of not being “normal”. I’m an avid visitor to tho ODIC and I’m trying to change my ways this time around but it’s really hard. You feel better and think that anything is doable but it’s not. I hate doing something like driving and running a quick errand and then paying for it the next few days, but I’m learning to dial it back…lol
 
This recovery is truly a rollercoaster ride or a yoyo. Up and down. I found that taking a day off in between my more active days helped me to keep my knee from becoming too angry and I could stay away from setbacks.
 

Staff online

  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom