THR Having a rough recovery

I’m sorry you’re dealing with pain and uncertainty.
I’m wondering who recommended the shoe lift?
As far as Leg Length Differential goes, you're not alone, many feel this post op. In most cases it eases with time. We advise giving it 3-4 months as it can take that amount of time for things to balance. If at that point, you are still concerned we suggest you visit a reputable podiatrist or PT for a measurement. Here is an article from the BoneSmart Library in case you haven’t read it - Leg length differential - LLD.
On top of that my operated on hip is hurting worse, it hurts in the same place it did before the surgery but much worse!
Are you icing at all? If not I suggest you try and see if it helps. There is an article on ICE under Number Two of the Recovery Guidelines.
When I first get out of bed or up from a chair I can barely move, stiff and painful back and hip.
I believe this is considered normal at this point. I experienced the same. I felt like I had to stand for a few seconds, upon rising, before I could take off. I’m also wondering if new shoes have been mentioned here yet? We advise purchasing a new pair of shoes to wear in place of those with your pre-op wear pattern. You may find this beneficial if you haven’t already replaced your most frequently worn shoes.
My chiropractor and PT both said it’s soft tissue pain but the Dr. said he doesn’t think it is
Hmm, that would be a normal consideration I believe at this point and especially if you’re overdoing it at all activity wise.
Right now I’m just so deflated, feeling defeated and blindsided by the way this turned out.
The emotional stress may possibly be contributing to your physical pain. It seems you have a big life change in the works and that can be stressful under the best of circumstances and you’re still in the early months of healing from major surgery.

I hope you’re able to get the rest you need to heal properly and have the patience to wait it out a bit longer as things hopefully improve.
I wish you the best, please keep us posted.
 
It can be disheartening to still be dealing with these issues when you had hoped to be well on your way. It’s not unreasonable to wait until the 6 month mark to move forward but it is difficult when you’re limited in your life in the meantime. One can certainly hope that improvement will happen with continued healing. If they haven’t or worsen, perhaps you should consider a second opinion outside of your surgeon’s circle. Your daughter might be able to help with that with her medical connections.

Be careful. It is still easy at this time to take on too much and pay for it in more soreness and fatigue. With stepping away from your business, that will be even more stress. It’s still okay to put yourself first and let people know when you’re at your limit. Sending positive energy your way as you navigate these bumps in the road. Please keep us updated. We’re here if you need us.
 
It was the PT and the chiropractor that recommended the heel lift. I ice three times a day for about an hour at a time. The shoes I’m wearing were never worn before the surgery. I didn’t know that was recommended but I purchased some slip on shoes since I couldn’t tie laces. I’m not over exerting myself and being too active because I physically can’t. I can barley walk. And because of how bad my back is hurting I can’t lift any substantial weight. Also I’m spent after 2 or 3 hours of activity. Before this surgery even with all my aches and pains I could still work from dawn till dusk all summer long in an un-air conditioned shop and now I can’t work at all meaning no income. As far as the emotional part it’s just the fact that I was told by the doctor himself and the hospital staff that gave me the joint replacement class that I would be fully able to go back to work in 6 weeks. They knew what I did for a living and completely downplayed the severity of this operation. They knew that this was my first surgery ever and gave me no indication that this was anything but a walk in the park. I don’t want to seem like I’m airing my grievances here, I’m just in shock at how much my life has changed and went in unprepared for this outcome. Thanks for all y’all do, it helps knowing that there are complete strangers in this upside down world that genuinely care. I feel blessed by that.
 
As far as the emotional part it’s just the fact that I was told by the doctor himself and the hospital staff that gave me the joint replacement class that I would be fully able to go back to work in 6 weeks
I’m sorry you feel mislead, but it’s understandable that you do.
They knew that this was my first surgery ever and gave me no indication that this was anything but a walk in the park.
It is major surgery, basically “controlled trauma” is what you are healing from. This recovery takes time. Up to a full year for many and even longer for some, noticing improvement into the second and even third year post op.

Consider trying ice, or heat, on your back to help ease the pain until you get to the origin of whether it’s leg length differential, or something else.
Wishing you lots of comfort and a peaceful weekend.
 
I’m so so sorry to read what you have been going through. Having the ongoing pain and limits on what you can do, and suddenly finding yourself without an income, then having to close the business that you had worked to build over so many years. It is a lot to bear and I admire you for being so strong and trying to be positive. Of course you never would have expected to be in this position when you decided to get the hip done.

I am no expert at all, just a fellow hippie. But my feeling is, get a second opinion soon if you can. Maybe your hip needs another 3 months to settle before anyone can get a clear idea of what is going on. But I would find it hard to wait 3 more months with pain and uncertainty.

Wishing I could be more help.
 
Tlew67,
Good heavens, you're going through a lot! Talk about a life being turned upside down.
What would you think of pushing your surgeon to get you in for xrays or an mri before another 3 months go by? If you have that much pain you need answers or at least reports that rule out causes of your pain. I can tell you my experience has been that being quiet and compliant and downplaying pain levels and patiently waiting to 'see what happens' in weeks or months didn't work for me. Being more aggressive and standing up for myself, in a polite but assertive way, got me the help I needed. Oddly enough, it was a pain management doctor who set me up for the mri that got me to the ortho surgeon.
Maybe for you it could work in reverse, and your surgeon could send you to pain management, and pm could bounce you back to the surgeon, with some answers or opinions.
My surgeon was the opposite of yours - he went over a long list of possible complications and poor outcomes before I signed the surgery consent. One of the items he talked about was that a bad hip/leg can cause back pain, and a bad back can cause hip/leg pain. Hopefully your surgeon or a pain management guy could help sort that out.
I wish you the best in getting some answers and relief. And please know that this place is the absolute best for airing your grievances. We get it!
 
Stopping by to say Hi and wish you a Happy Four Month Anniversary. I certainly hope it’s happy.

How are you doing since you last posted? I hope you’ve found some relief and you’re feeling better and enjoying steady progress. Please know that we’re here if you need us and we care.
@Tlew67
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom