THR Having a rough recovery

@Tlew67 So glad you tried another approach to your recovery. Everyone is different. And some of our members prefer a very active recovery. But the majority confirm the gentle approach does work. Well done on taking control of your PT session!
 
I had been doing my exercises the PT gave me religiously even through the pain (I was instructed to do so)
For some reason, and no one that has had a THR would say that, PT's think that way. Many of us learned the hard way whether it was from a PT pushing or trying to live up to others so called miracle recoveries.
If you think the worst is behind you it's real easy to return to where you were. I learned a lesson the hard way with my first THR. At 3 mos I figured the worst was behind me and I was all better and I could do whatever I wanted. I was very mstaken and just returning to some of my normal activities like working on a ladder gave me 3 weeks of sitting and icing to get back where I was.
 
I had been doing my exercises the PT gave me religiously even through the pain (I was instructed to do so)
At 3 mos I figured the worst was behind me and I was all better and I could do whatever I wanted. I was very mstaken and just returning to some of my normal activities like working on a ladder gave me 3 weeks of sitting and icing to get back where I was.
That’s definitely a problem I’m concerned about. I’m a mechanic and I know I’m nowhere near ready to get back to it and I don’t have any idea how to tell when I can. And even when I do what are my limits. There’s a lot of heavy lifting, twisting and contorting doing this line of work.
 
Where you are now is not where you will be in a few months nor where you shall be in a year, dear hippypal
Sometimes the clarity on postop expectations are not accurately portrayed, but since bad hips don't fix themselves...the choice may be:
fixed
fixed with a slightly longer recovery than anticipated.

Keep the faith and Know you know better than even a PT who likely has not had a hip replaced!
You CAN do this.
 
Last edited:
As far as work I’m considering changing professions. I’ve been a mechanic for 34 years and have blown my L4 and L5, and have chronic back arthritis

Possibly changing professions is something you should take under serious consideration.
with the arthritis in your back, one new hip and another deteriorating hip, coupled with the heavy lifting, twisting and contorting you mentioned you engage in at work it sounds like you take a physical beating. I’d hate to think of you finally feeling better only to hurt yourself on the job. I’m sure the thought of changing positions feels overwhelming, but it may be the best thing for you at this point in life. Wishing you comfort and healing as you contemplate all. We’re glad you joined us and thankful you’re enjoying the forum. Stick around and let us know if we can help in any way.
 
“That’s definitely a problem I’m concerned about. I’m a mechanic and I know I’m nowhere near ready to get back to it and I don’t have any idea how to tell when I can. And even when I do what are my limits. There’s a lot of heavy lifting, twisting and contorting doing this line of work.”

For most 3 mos is when going back to work is recommended but you have to take it easy. I was fortunate I timed mine so I never went back to work. Being a heavy line tech would be pretty hard, I worked as a dealer tech years back. Heavy lifting isn't something most OS are going to tell you is good. I still own my shop building and can do most anything now but it will take some time.
 
Eman, both of my hip surgeons were actually ok with me doing powerlifting and had no limits on weight (although I was more than a year out when I started). One was the surgeon that did a doubletake when I explained I hurt my shoulder with one too many reps benching 80 lbs and was ok with the weights I was planning to get back to gradually after the shoulder surgery.
 
It’s been 2 weeks since my first post and what a turnaround! I’m to the point where I don’t even use my cane around the house. The pain isn’t completely gone but tolerable. Now my next big question. I’ve been on Oxycodone now for 9 weeks. I’m tapering down and have been only using as needed but unfortunately that need was much greater than I had hoped for. I didn’t and don’t abuse but I’m now feeling the physical withdrawal even from a slow taper. My Dr. said to take them as he prescribed, that he’s tapering me that way and because I’ve not been on them long I won’t have any withdrawal. But each person is different and I’m sorta headstrong and I get to a point where I won’t off the ride. Any advice from those that’s been here is welcome. Once again I appreciate all you’ve done to help me. I don’t know any of you personally but you’ve all been so kind and helpful and I’m grateful.
 
I found that my need for relief was more associated with a jitteriness I would experience if I didn’t take the Norco (5 oxy/325 acetaminophen). I experienced it a decade ago after my second knee replacement, so recognized it with my left hip replacement this past June. Looking at my notes from June’s surgery, I began replacing my scheduled dose of Norco with 2 Advil (ibuprofen) tablets at around one month. Before that I had been tapering down from 4 whole Norco per day, down to 2, split among the four times I took it.
This surgery (1/21/2022) I’m using the same schedule of pain dosing as worked before-at 3&9 am/pm I take one 500 mg Tylenol tablet (acetaminophen), and at 6&12 am/pm I take the Norco (tapering now as noted above). I plan to begin replacing the Norco with the Advil this week.
I’ve been able to stay ahead of the pain very well this surgery. It only took 3 prior joint replacements (2 knees, one hip) to figure it out!!! :curtsey::egypdance:
 
@Tlew67 can you may be go back to the doctor and come up with a plan to start you tapering off now to make you happy but following a schedule that the doc feels is best?
 
@Tlew67 can you may be go back to the doctor and come up with a plan to start you tapering off now to make you happy but following a schedule that the doc feels is best?
His way is to just extend the time between doses. At first it was one every 4 to 6 hours then reduced to every 8 to 12 hours and now it it’s every 12 to 24 hours. I can just make it to 8 hours during the day and sometimes I can’t do that with these cold fronts coming in, I take the pain meds closer together then. I’m lucky that I don’t hurt much at night, I’ve not taken one at night in at least a month. I’m traveling for the first time this weekend going to a funeral and I don’t plan on being in pain just to fit his schedule so I’m going to try and stick to it when I get back. Right now I’m only taking 2 a day but as I need them and I can tell I’m withdrawing between doses. I take first one anywhere between 8:00 am to 12:00 pm. The next dose is usually between 3:00 and 7:00 pm. I’m hoping to be completely off of them by the end of the month is that doable without to much of the discomfort of withdrawal?
 
Last edited:
@Tlew67 I can't say as we all react differently to meds and stopping them. While I'm not a medical professional, maybe you can talk the doc into agreeing to do a half every so many hours to see if that would work. I'm thinking instead of 12-24 hour gap.

Are you still icing and elevating? If you're not, I recommend that you start again. Always put cloth of some type between your skin and the ice/gel pack. You can basically leave it on as long as you're not moving around.

Since you're traveling this weekend I would like to suggest that you pack some ice packs in a cooler and use them while travelling, it might make your trip less painful. Also, make sure you're stopping periodically to get out of the car, stretch, walk around a little before heading back out.
 
@SaraK I'm late responding to your post about lifting weight. I understand a year out but I was meaning 3 mos or less and going back to work lifting, carrying and twisting with weight. Being a heavy line tech would mean not just lifting like you would in a gym with weights on a bar or machine.
 
@Eman85 - I agree that 1 year out is different - just didn't want him to think there would necessarily be limitations for the rest of his life.
 
@Tlew67 I what worked for me to ice when travelling was the old fashioned ice bags that you unscrew and fill with ice. It stays cold longer than a gel pack and you can refill with ice at any fast food place, convenience store or hotel.
 
@Tlew67
Ooof I’ve had this happen and it’s pretty dreadful. Sorry you’re having a tough time.
im NOT a doctor but wanted to share some of my own experiences….

- there’s a difference between dependence and addiction. This is an interesting read:
broken link removed: https://nida.nih.gov/publications/principles-drug-addiction-treatment-research-based-guide-third-edition/frequently-asked-questions/there-difference-between-physical-dependence-addiction

- for me, I found that rather than stretching the time betw doses, I would reduce the dose itself from 10 to 5 and then to 2.5

- I switched off oxycodone to Tramadol which, while considered an opioid, is somewhat less “intense” (my word, not theirs) than oxycodone and the other opioids

- I didn’t take an opioid with acetominephin in it. I took the Tylenol separately bc sometimes that was all I really needed. I also had Naproxen to use as well. If in an hour I still was in bad shape, I could always add an Oxy

- my dr included a muscle relaxant Rx in my “cocktail” called Robaxin which helped

- I also have gabapentin as part of the pain mgmt. No side effects from that -for me anyway. I’ve used it for nerve related pain but it has also helped with a knee and 2 hip replacements

- the physical withdrawal just s—-s. But the emotional “crutch” of a pain killer was also tough to give up.

good luck - it’s tough but you’ll be able to do it
 
@SaraK I'm late responding to your post about lifting weight. I understand a year out but I was meaning 3 mos or less and going back to work lifting, carrying and twisting with weight. Being a heavy line tech would mean not just lifting like you would in a gym with weights on a bar or machine.
I totally understand. Controlled weight lifting is a whole different thing than the lifting, twisting, squatting, leaning, kneeling, and contorting to get to hard to reach areas in a vehicle. I don’t think I’ll even be able to do most of that again, my wife and kids don’t want me to anyway. They’ve seen how it’s tore me down and it’s getting to the point that I’m not sure it’s worth it anymore. It’s a hard pill to swallow though, I’ve owned my shop since 1995. I did try to go to work for a friend as a shop manager but I couldn’t stand babysitting grown men that had no business in this business so now i think I’m just ready to sell everything and move to the Chattanooga area.
 
I fully understand your situation. I still own my shop but it's been closed for 20 years. My body has the wear of a lifetime of physical labor. I can still do the work, just much slower and much more carefully than in the past.
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Let us know how it’s going when you have the time to update.
We‘d love to hear from you. Until then, take good care!
@Tlew67
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Let us know how it’s going when you have the time to update.
We‘d love to hear from you. Until then, take good care!
@Tlew67
Update. I went to the Dr. For my 12 week check up on 3/1. He didn’t have anything helpful to say other than if I still have issues after the 6 month mark I’ll need an MRI to see what’s going on.
He said he doesn’t think the bone is growing around the implant the way it’s supposed to. I’m having severe back pain now, I guess from walking with a longer leg. He suggested going to a chiropractor. I went to my chiropractor who usually does magic on my back issues but has actually made it worse. He had me wear a 9mm heel lift for the last week and now wants me to take it out and see how things are in a week or two. On top of that my operated on hip is hurting worse, it hurts in the same place it did before the surgery but much worse!
I guess it could be getting worse because I’m up moving more. When I first get out of bed or up from a chair I can barely move, stiff and painful back and hip. Once I get moving I do ok until the next rest period. My chiropractor and PT both said it’s soft tissue pain but the Dr. said he doesn’t think it is. I really don’t trust him or have any faith left in him anyway. I really am getting to where I don’t like him.

He’s very evasive with any information and acts like the cat that ate the canary. I thought it may be just me but my wife and daughter (which is a medical student) like him even less than I do. Right now I’m just so deflated, feeling defeated and blindsided by the way this turned out.

I’m officially closing my business of 27 years because I can’t work on cars and I can’t find any help, I’ve been looking for 2 years with no success. So now I need to clean the shop to try and rent it out so I have some income but that’s hard to do when you can’t lift any significant weight not to mention the lack of stamina.

I’m also moving my daughter out of Memphis to Chattanooga in the middle of April so I’m really hoping things are better then. I’m still tapering off my pain meds and I’m down to 1/2 a 5mg oxycodone for the next few days and then I’m off. So far that’s been less painful than past experiences but I’ve always just quit and this time I’m slow tapering. So that’s where I’m at, trying to stay positive but realistic, I just have to ride it out come whatever may.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom