Revision THR Has anyone ever heard of late onset metal hypersensitivity in a ceramic on ceramic hip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello John, Z15.
Can you explain to me and others, did they replace the trunnion with titanium yet? Did your surgeon want you to get your blood tested for allergy or did you do that on your own?
Are you still on IV antibiotics?
We want to know how you are doing. Please give us an update.


Hi Folks, (apologies up front for the length of this post....you may want to go get a coffee or other beverage before you start)

My recovery goes well. Probably better than it should...meaning I'm doing a lot. I've gone on numerous 3 mile hikes in the mountains and yesterday I spent 4 hours doing the dreaded FALL CLEANUP wearing a backpack blower on our (steep) hillside, dragging tarps full of lawn debris and my most leastest favorite RAKING. I will admit, the rocking motion of raking bothered my current hip less than it has in a long time. This time it bothered my SHOULDER (for which I am seeing a surgeon on Thur...but that is a different story!)

Barbie, I did have my blood tested in Chicago and that was just not the issue. I showed no sensitivity to any of the metals present. It's a very clear report and that was not it.

They pulled my PICC Line and stopped the killer antibiotics after 2 weeks of nothing growing in the Petri dishes. After 4 days of nothing growing they were confident that this was not an infection. After 2 weeks they were positive.

But I had corrosion in the taper and if my surgeon had had a Titanium neck at his disposal when he went in he would have installed it. Given my White Blood Count IN THE JOINT of 157K they were unwilling to wait even a day. Funny, just like you my first aspiration a month earlier was essentially dry...and as you know too well, that means they keep poking and prodding and DRILLING FOR FLUID (that was when I really started sweating on the X-ray table). In my case they finally injected a fluid for guidance and withdrew that, and then cultured it. Not as good as getting free floating fluid but better than nothing. My second aspiration was quite significant and "noteworthy" per the doc drawing it.

So, anyone who knows about me and my activity level is probably correct in presuming that the added torque and friction from mountain jogging exacerbated the corrosion. Given the rarity of this issue in my doc's practice using the same hardware I'm guessing that is the key difference. I *DO* figure this has been a problem brewing for awhile. I've always had some tightness in the joint which I could not shake. It may have been some initial minor reaction and the start of what bloomed into a big problem.

So I see my doc on Nov 6 and we'll discuss options. The current Plan of Record is that he gets permission to get a Titanium neck of which there were zero in the U.S. when I had the surgery, and installs that around March. Now, I've ready plenty of studies (like this one: https://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2474/11/3/) that indicate that Titanium necks cannot take the forces that Chromium Cobalt necks can. My thought is that my surgeon may say that when they switch me to Titanium my running days are over. If that is the case, and I figure that it was the running that really amped up my corrosion, I will ask how he feels about leaving what I have (which is a shiny new Chromium Cobalt Neck in a "cleaned out" largely corrosion free environment. Basically, if I'm not torquing on this in the mountains, can it be an ok solution for me just like the other 99.7% of his patients.

OR...he gives me the green light to be active on a Titanium Neck. Two factors are in my favor for this potentially working out.

1. I'm relatively light. (160 pounds, 73 Kg) If you look at this chart from the study above (https://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2474/11/3/figure/F3) you'll see that not many Titanium Neck failures occurred with folks in my weight class! (this MAY be more about how few men weigh what I do and LESS about how well Titanium Necks survive our forces....not sure)

2. I have a short Femoral Neck. Originally he put in the shortest one that Wright offers. If we go back to High School Physics and we think about the forces applied by a lever, the shorter the moment arm the less torque and in the fracturing of femoral necks, low torque is good.

SO....way too long of a post. But I am up for some discussion with my surgeon. Unfortunately, this is booked as a 6 week check up on the LAST surgery and I view this way more as a discussion of my NEXT STEPS. We'll see. He's always been good about making sure that my questions are answered.

I'll keep you posted after the meeting.

Z
 
Hi Z15 great update... Looking forward to the result of your chat with your OS...

Hugs from down under x
 
It sounds like you are doing very well in this second recovery. I am thankful that it was not an infection. Again, I think you have such a great attitude about everything you have gone through. Please keep us all posted about your progress!
 
Z....I enjoyed reading your post. It's pretty obvious you have put a lot of thought and research into your situation. That is always a good thing and I bet you will have quite the discussion with your surgeon at the next visit. I'm looking forward to hearing the result of your meeting.
 
Jamie,

This will SHOCK YOU :shocked: but more than a couple of my family members are regularly annoyed with the amount of thought and research that I put into things....

What can I say...I enjoy it.

Z
 
Well we love you just the way you are Z15, the voice of logical reasoning :)
 
Well, then.....let's just join together in thinking that it is THEY who are woefully uninformed!!! :heehee: And WE are the smart ones!!!! :thumb: I say, good for YOU!!!!! But I did get a chuckle picturing those loving family members shaking their heads at your diligence.
 
Thanks for the update John. I find researching helps me deal with what I am facing. In any case, at least you can have an intelligent conversation with your OS!
 
I say knowledge is power! Z, this is sounding like an awfully good report, given what you've been going through. I'm so glad. :)

Sharon
 
Glad you filled us in. ...and I love the fact you research so much. Wish I could hire you to manage my affairs haha. Never apologize for long posts. What goes around comes around buddy and you have read your share of long posts.

Keep on hangin in, cathy
 
I'm heading in for a revision to a Titanium neck, and the removal of the Chromium Cobalt on 12/5. Of the three surgeries (counting this one) this has the potential to be the easiest (by far). First one had the bone cutting, second one was a nasty inflamed joint capsule for which he cut me open relatively wide (an extra 3-ish inches over the first surgery) to get a good look at everything and really clean me out. This one should be just big enough to swap out some parts.

So, I've been hoping this would come along in 2013, but now this is gettin' real!! :yes: I may be heading in for pre-op testing and giving a pint of blood to receive during the surgery. I felt like getting the extra pint gave me a boost the first time...I was a fan. My surgeon does not feel it's necessary given the nature of the surgery but I am opting for the little energy boost.

I was scheduled for shoulder surgery 12/17 but that will now have to wait until 2014. As much as I'd like to get them both out of the way at the same time, the Warfarin regimen by surgeon sticks me with will make that a non-starter. He now has his patients do a full 4 weeks of blood thinner. Oh well...

That's the deal. I'm pretty psyched!

Z
 
Hooray, then you can move on into 2014 recovering and by spring, you'll have a spring in your step again. I am excited for you. Tell me more about giving the pint of blood. Wondering if it is something I should do. Getting ready to post my news also. We'll both be recovering in December dude, hooray!

I am happy for you John, I know you really want to get going on this thing. That date will be here before you know it.
Cathy
 
Wahoo Z.... So pleased for you buddy :)

So pleased your OS is appearing as though he will find operating time within 2013, that fits with your plans!

You and Cathy will be in recovery around the same period!

The three of us have much to look forward to in 2014....

I am very happy for you Z15. x
 
Good news about the surgery. I know you'll be happy to have this all behind you. Good for you for keeping on top of things!!!
 
Hello Z, just popping by to wish you all the best for your surgery on 5th Dec. Your research is impressive and it yields results - good on you! Your OS must really welcome the chance to interact with such a very well-informed and proactive patient. My research, too, yielded dividends, in that I'm now with an oncologist I really, really trust, and, boy, what a difference that makes! As I said on Cathy's thread, I've found an online forum more appropriate for me (my hips having been a total success there's not much to say about them) but I can't resist following my old buddies to see how they are doing. I'll be checking back with you after 5th Dec. In the meantime, all the best.

Jane
 
Jane,

You are too kind to check up on me when you have your own things to deal with. I hope your winter is mild and gives you ample opportunities to get out and be active.

I'll keep you posted after the surgery...in the mean time, just take good care of Jane! :friends:

Z
 
But I had corrosion in the taper and if my surgeon had had a Titanium neck at his disposal when he went in he would have installed it.
:skep: Bad housekeeping!
The current Plan of Record is that he gets permission to get a Titanium neck. I'm heading in for a revision to a Titanium neck, and the removal of the Chromium Cobalt on 12/5.
I'm getting confused here, Z. Do you mean replacing the entire femoral component? I do hope so.
 
Jo,

It wasn't bad housekeeping. The titanium necks are not approved by the Food and Drug Administration in the US (the kit is certified with the Chromium/Cobalt neck) and therefore are not available except with special authorization, which he now has. At the time of the surgery there were no titanium kits in the US.

And no, I am going to keep my titanium femoral stem at this time. It ever becomes an issue I'll go for the new one then (and only then). Bone and tissues both looked good when the corrosion was cleaned out and although I understand it may be compromised I am not going there until I have to.

Z
 
Hi Z - ok, ok, ok Im going to admit when Kevin posted in my thread about your condition I did read and check back and have been reading, just posting. My lame excuse is I had forgotten my password and when using my iPad getting a new password doesnt work using iPad. SOOOOOOO tonight I have my laptop here in bed reading!!

I enjoyed reading about your BooBoo I love the details and it made sense, sorry your having to go through all the test and now surgeries, the goal is to get this fixed and be back to your healthy active self by early next year!

Sending you warm, good wishes for the holidays!!

Sarah

xo
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom