TKR gzuckero's Recovery - '6 months in<

Your body and mind has been through a lot in the last three weeks, and it's understandable that your emotions can get the best of you at times, but it will get better. When you're used to being independent and taking care of yourself, it's difficult giving that up even temporarily. Add pain and sleeplessness and it's easy to be emotional over the smallest things. This too shall pass and one of these days, somewhere down the road, you'll look back on this and be glad you made the decision to have your knee done--it's wonderful when you can walk without pain again. It's so worth it.

I just joined this forum last week, and it's so helpful and comforting to read others' experiences. I wish I'd had this 15 years ago when I had my first TKR. I'm glad to see you're reading the articles; I just finished reading them yesterday, and they're so helpful. I've been through this four times now, the last one seven weeks ago; and I even learned some things that I didn't know...though I wish I hadn't opened the surgery pictures :yikes:.

Hang in there. Things will get better with time. :yes:
 
So I will share that I was making a mistake that I didn't realize. I was really trying to get off the pain mess (because I hate them) and seems that I was consistently getting behind my pain. I've remedied that now. I have all of my mess scheduled and I take them on schedule regardless. It has helped I've accepted the insomnia. I read articles here, play games and binge watch CSI on Hulu. I find I usually doze off at 3am. Not ideal but I'm ok with it for now. And WIN - not one cry because of sadness since I started new process after reading all of your responses. I did have a cry at PT but that's because it just plain HURT. We're trying to get my knee straight and I don't care who you are that doesn't feel good.

Now for a new question. I am getting these random excruciating pains down my outer thigh from hip to knee. I haven't found any common thing that brings it on. Happens in my sleep, just sitting, anytime. This is regardless of pain meds (they've given me Valium for spasms). When it happens it is brutal and all I can do is rub it and wait. My husband has also helped but it usually scares him because it's intense and I can't help but moan and cry. These typically last. 45 min to an hour. Longest time ever.

Has anyone else experienced this and have any thoughts? I'm going to discuss it with my PT today but man oh man it really threw a glitch in my morning today which started out pretty darn good.

Again thank you all. This forum has turned into a real life saver for me.
 
IT band tightness, maybe? It's a common challenge.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
That would be my guess too. There's an article on this website about IT Band problems.
 
But there is something about going down this TKR road that makes me almost constantly on the verge of tears. I even told that to my PT that yesterday. Today, while watching Anne of Green Gables, I choked up four times!
Well, with Anne of Green Gables I'm not surprised! :heehee: Pretty heartwarming as I recall. :) but yeah, you can get really emotional during the recovery. Between pain meds, feeling a little lonely etc...
Now if you get teary during a laundry detergent commerical, I'd worry. :loll:
 
I think I could have written exactly what you did! I am not a cryer and have cried a lot. I don't sleep well either and feel I should be farther along in my progress, though I also am almost 3 weeks and ROM today was 115.
The straightening is the hardest for me course my knee probably hasn't straightened as my other knee does for 2 1/2 years. This forum is a godsend.. Read the articles and practice what is said. Don't overdo it!
Welcome and just know you are not alone in this.
 
I was going to say that your pain sounds like IT band pain. Two years out, I still feel it on occasion when I walk up stairs. It's certainly not as bad as it was early on, but it does make itself known now and then. Glad to read that you are back to taking your meds on schedule. They truly are still needed at this stage of the game. It's no time to be a hero or martyr. Pain can be overwhelming and that's why we take the meds. Good luck to you as your recovery continues!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I am so sorry you are having so much pain. Not sleeping doesn't help. I would certainly try going off all those sleeping aides and try some alternatives.
I had a TRK in Nov of 2012 and I have never cried so much.
We had our bone sawed! This is Major, Major surgery. It's a common surgery now but it is still incredibly invasive.
This will pass. Be kind to yourself. Patience. Sending you love and healing thoughts.
 
Hi! How are you doing? Hope things are looking brighter. Thinking of you.x
 
I talked to my PT yesterday and yes, he says my IT band is cramping up. He showed me a stretch for it that I'm starting 3 times a day. No concerns just gotta stretch it out. He says sometimes as the nerves and muscles are coming back to life they get confused and can do some quirky things. Quirky equal cramps, spasms, etc etc. fun fun! But....all is ok. Just another thing to work through.

My husband is taking me on a recovery cruise at the end of the month. I'm taking a wheelchair just in case I get tired. Last cruise I took I walked 8-10 miles a day! Haven't made more than 1/2 a mile yet on this new knee. He thought a change of location would do us all good (he's a good guy).

So...making progress. Slow but sure. Reset my expectations to this taking significantly longer than I originally though but getting ok with that. Sleeping some now too! Go to sleep at around 9 and wake up at 3. Better than nothing for sure.

Thank you all for the advice and support. It has been absolutely life saving!!!
 
@gzuckero
So that we can always know how far along in recovery you are (it makes it easier for us to advise you), please will you put your surgery and its date in your Signature. Here's how to do it:
How to create a signature
Thank you.
 
My husband is taking me on a recovery cruise at the end of the month. I'm taking a wheelchair just in case I get tired. Last cruise I took I walked 8-10 miles a day! Haven't made more than 1/2 a mile yet on this new knee. He thought a change of location would do us all good (he's a good guy).

Wow that is so cool! Have an awesome time. You are lucky to have such a caring spouse!
 
@gzuckero ... just found your thread and your travails sound so familiar. My tears were linked more to trying to wean myself off of meds too quickly than pain (finally got the BoneSmart article on how to do that properly!). Also took a recommendation regarding the sleeplessness and tried Aleive PM or Tylenol PM at night - helped me patch more sleep time together. It has also helped me sleep much better after a recent (10 week old) back fusion. And yes, the IT band pain was extremely problematic. My knees had degenerated such that I had developed a severe valgus (a word I learned here on BS), where they "bent" inward together at the knee and my feet were out at hip width. If you think about the physics of that, it is easy to understand how the IT band would shorten a bit. Stay with those stretches your PT gave you ... they make all the difference. If you have one of those therebands for leg lifts to stretch the hamstrings (or a belt), I went a step further and crossed each leg over the other to stretch out the ITs.

Good luck!! 2 years + post knee replacements and I don't even think of them most of the time (sometimes they click a little, but not when I need them, like yesterday hiking 3.5 miles in the Santa Monica mountains! DOn't tell my back surgeon!)
 
@MGS just noticing your surgery date is the same as mine, but mine was a right knee. Cool!
Hi, yes that is cool. How are you doing? (I'm not really sure how to post a reply - hope you pick this up).x
 
How absolutely FAB! Where will you visit on your cruise?
 
Hi, yes that is cool. How are you doing? (I'm not really sure how to post a reply - hope you pick this up).x

I am doing ok. As long as I don't over do it! But when I feel good I tend to overdo. So today trying to relax since yesterday I did too much. How are you getting along?
 
I now have good mobility, walking without the use of aids although the infection hasn't quite cleared up (on second round of antibiotics). But i'm still not sleeping, my knee seems to feel really uncomfortable at night, I'm aware of more discomfort and an increased 'burning' sensation. Do you think this might be psychological and not a physical reality?? Must admit, this website has been a godsend! Like you, I'm lucky enough to have a lovely supportive husband, but think I'm experiencing the old British 'stiff upper lip' syndrome - it's really not the done thing to moan, so it's great to have this outlet. Nice to chat to you and everyone else. Keep on keeping on!!!
 
As of today I am 5 weeks post op. Left knee TKR. I've cut back pretty significantly on the pain meds. I've got a good bend (117 at last measure) and my extension is still difficult but I'm working on it (last was a 9). I do all of my walking around the house without aid now but use a cane if going anywhere else. My pain is tolerable. Worse some days than others of course but nothing awful. My scar is healing well and I'm to the point where my doc says to start massaging with vitamin E oil to start smoothing it out. These are the good parts and I'm happy with the progress made so far.

Now for the stuff that's still a challenge. First standing up from a sitting position. OUCH. I have to stand slowly, stretch and kind of wait for my leg to catch up. Because I don't have a 0 extension I literally have to focus on how I walk. I find it kinda funny and when no one is around I do it out loud "heel to toe, heel to toe". But with even that small bend I get a hobble that twists me up and gets my back awful tired but taking things slow so far.

My biggest challenge is sleep. I dread nighttime now. Just dread it. I'm so tired and I lie down ice on the knee, try to get as comfortable as possible and nothing. Just wide awake. I try surgery leg on top of pillow, that usually works for about 45 min. I try surgery leg side with pillow between knees and that's good for about 10 min. Go back to the back and prop the leg up even though I shouldn't since I'm working on the bend problem and maybe doze for 30 min or so and repeat the whole thing. So I do this all night then try to function during the day but of course by noon I'm a zombie and usually just pass out from exhaustion in the recliner. Sleep for maybe two hors before that gets too uncomfortable. My. Problem is while I'm home and healing I just have to deal with frustrated friends and family who want me to do things and I'm just too wiped out to do them, but I go back to work in a couple of weeks and this is not going to work at all. I'm reading up on some threads but if any of you have advice I'm listening.
 
Hi @Braunzie
I was the same as you standing from sitting position. I would have to stand then wait for my hip to settle before taking my first step. This did right it self for me without doing anything specific for it I can't remember how long but maybe 3 months post op.

Getting sleep sorted is a real problem. I remember getting so frustrated with not getting comfortable at night, feeling I had found the answer but only lasted an hour of two.

I tried Sleepytime tea (through Amazon) but this worked magically for 3-4 nights and then stopped working.

I hope others will come up with some answers for you as with work imminent it is even more important.

Copsham
 
Back
Top Bottom