Guest viewing is limited

THR Groin Pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Pug! Love your user name. I am familiar with the Pug dog...they are fugly. I have a french bulldog that is often times mistaken for a Pug. He has a face only a momma could love.

I am so sorry to hear about your Mother. I lost my father 5 years ago and my mother almost 20 years ago. Losing a parent is very difficult regardless of one' age. Embrace your grief, but know that your mother would be so happy that you had your hip replaced so that her little girl would not have to suffer in pain anymore.

The groin pain is the pits!!! That is where all of my pain was pre-op. It would travel down the inside of my leg and explode in my knee. The majority of that was gone right after surgery. However, once in awhile I still get the groin pain, but it feels muscular more than bone related. Just continue to ice, elevate and medicate. You will be surprised by the variety of body locations your pain will show up in (and disappear from).

I had my RTHR about 5 days after you and am still non-weightbearing. It sucks! I admit to being very envious when I read about others who wake up in the recovery room and decide to go for a jog. I know I am exaggerating, but that it how it seems. Don't worry, we will both get there. I have decided that I do not want to be in that much of a hurry as then I will be expected to resume my role of Super Woman....fixer of problems, worker of 12 hour days, landscaper, chief cook and bottle washer. We have to celebrate the little milestones with a little more flair than that of our counterparts. Our first shower, having staples removed, figuring out a way to carry a cup from room to room, scratching the bottom of our operated foot without breaking hip restrictions, shaving our legs, etc.

Drop by my thread and that of the others and please join your fellow Bone Smart Warrior women. We need a representative in your part of the world.

Tammy
 
Pug, not only is recovering from major surgery exhausting, so is grief, and this time of year when the weather can be dark and gloomy doesn't help one's mood, either. And you have migraines, too? You've had a lot to deal with in a short time, and I think you seem to be handling it well. It's great that you have a wonderful husband---truly a blessing. Any pets? We seem to have a lot of cat people on BoneSmart.:kittykiss:

Let us know how that memory foam mattress feels. I've thought about getting one. For the first couple of weeks home, I used one of the back cushions from my sofa to put under my legs to sleep. Fatter and firmer than a regular pillow.

nerdgrrl That is a real good explanation of why the pain wanders around. I hadn't thought of the second point you made.
 
Pug, very sorry about your mother. I lost my father in the summer of '11 and almost the only time I hot emotional was when I got my surgery date and caught myself thinking I had to call him and tell him. Also, the estate stuff is difficult just on its own! How did the topper work? I got one before my surgery and I love it. Still not sleeping straight through, but it makes even hanging out in bed more pleasant I've been pretty lucky with pain, but I've been sure to take something for it, no point in martyrdom!
 
Hi Pugfugly!

Have you been able to get an appointment with your GP?

Just dropping by :)
 
Hang in there, Pug. I am so sorry to hear about your mother's passing. I hope you get some meds ASAP to help, and don't be shy about taking them. Although your seams might end up a little crooked... :)
 
Dearest PF,

Let me start off by giving you my deepest condolences for the loss of your Mum. I lost my father a couple of years ago at the same time we were trying to figure out what was happening with my hips. It's never easy whenever it happens but to happen right before your surgery is an additional stressor on the chart. Thank goodness for your dear husband. Mine was a godsend during the loss of my father and has truly proven his weight in gold during my recovery. Sounds like you have a 'keeper' as well!

As bad as my hip was prior to surgery (had previous surgery to remove damaged cartilage) things went well during surgery and I was fortunate to not have any weight bearing restrictions - weight bearing as tolerated. So that's been my mantra through recovery so far - if it hurts, don't do it because it's not ready. As I do my PT exercises I am getting different achy pains as my body adjusts to my new parts. I've learned to back off if it's too intense and try again the next time. I think most of us have become quite in-tune with our bodies and we can trust what we feel.

So sit back, rest, ice, elevate, and medicate as directed and things will work themselves out. Stay with us at Bonesmart as you will find some of the nicest folks to share this experience with. No one understands better than those who have walked in your shoes. Also, don't ever hesitate to ask for help. This process has only made our marriage stronger because my husband is able to feel like I need him now more than ever. Men like feeling needed other than opening jars and reaching in the high cabinets!

Sending good healing and resting vibes 6000 miles away!
 
I can definitely recommend the memory foam mattress topper. It feels so soft and has taken the pressure off my hip, I have been able to lay for short periods on my operated hip.

My cat, Dave, has been very attentive and decided he quite likes sleeping on my chest while tucking his head in the crook of my neck and purring throatily. Impossible to stay awake!

You are so right about the moving pains..... Groin pain gone now. I nearly forgot my crutches the other day, remembered at the last minute! That must be a good sign that I'm healing.
 
Fantastic Pug.. you sound so much happier.. amazing what a comfy bed (memory foam topper) does for one.

So pleased your GP prescribed a stronger med for you, it is so important to stay ahead of the pain and not suffer pain breakthrough in the early weeks/months.

Oh, how the pains do move, yes.. I gave up trying to figure out what was causing each little pain.

How good are you nearly forgetting your crutches - certainly a good sign however, one of the goals for all of us after hip replacement surgery is to restore normal walking gait without a walking aide. Hips love walking :)

To progress off your crutches you must be able to walk without a limp. The length of time that it takes to get off your walking aide is not important and will not determine the success or failure of your hip replacement.

You will walk without support when you feel you are safe and can walk comfortably without dropping your hip or limping.

Hang in there, give it a little more time :)
 
Pug, so glad to hear you're feeling better! A little pain relief and better sleep can make a world of difference. Great to hear you almost forgot your crutches---that is a good sign indeed:egypdance:
 
Excellant Pug, so glad the memory topper worked, sleep is an important part of healing. You sound like you hio is doing well. Hope your day is well.
 
Today is a good day, the sun is shining despite it being freezing. Hubby has just finished the ironing and my friend popping in later. Sending good vibes to all the BS warriors.
 
Hi Pug. I am so sorry about the loss of your mum. I lost my mum January 9 2004 and I still miss her every day of my life. I agree she will be looking out for you and will be cheering you on all the way. That's what mum's do.

Glad you're feeling a little cheerier today. I too love a very cold, bright, frosty winter day. Really cheers me up and reminds me of my mum as it was her favourite weather. I think people might even have been smiling on the streets of North London!!!!

You will get fabulous support and advice here. I know I have. I can't imagine what we would do without the internet any more when you can find such a fabulous network of "strangers" all reaching out to help.

Onwards and upwards you go with lots of people behind you.

Hope the hubby's ironing wasn't too stressful!!!! My old man is very good at it but my sister had to send hers out to be done after her hubby tried to "help" by doing theirs when she was ill!!!

Sarah x
 
I can definitely recommend the memory foam mattress topper. It feels so soft and has taken the pressure off my hip, I have been able to lay for short periods on my operated hip.
Thanks for the tip, I'm considering getting one, but I didn't realize how expensive they were. I remember when I could buy a whole mattress for $100!

Back in the 1980s I got myself a water bed (the "motionless" kind) and thought it was great. However, the internal baffles gradually disintegrated and it became less motionless. I also found that I slept much better on the firm mattresses found in motels. I'm sure the water bed contributed to my back problems. I eventually replaced the water bed with a firm mattress and liked it a lot better, but by now I was finding it a bit too firm and would get aches in my shoulders and the hip I now had replaced. I may not wear out this mattress during the rest of my life, but that memory foam sounds like just the ticket to keep me from waking up with aching shoulders.
 
All this discussion reminds me of some advice my own mother used to give me as a young girl and then repeated when I started having children of my own. She would tell me "Tammy-Lynn, you can skimp on all kinds of things in life, but always buy the best shoes, bras and beds you can afford. You will never regret the money. " Very sage advice indeed.

Glad to see you are feeling better physically and emotionally Pug. Please do keep us all posted on how you are doing.

Have a great weekend.
Tammy
 
Adding to that Tammy I always tell my kids to buy the best bedding (sheets and duvet covers) that you can afford. Sleeping in Egyptian cotton feels luxurious and last for years.

No migraines for three days straight, may have turned a corner.

I have to make an appointment to have a couple of 'dissolvable' stitches removed as its nearly five weeks since the op and they are catching on my clothes. Think it's because they stick out of the skin so they won't dissolve.

Bed is still comfortable but I'm finding some nights I'm sleeping and some nights are not so good. I'm sure it's the same for all of us. We'll get there in the end.

Good vibes BS Warriors!
 
Hi PF

So pleased the migraines have ceased.. Maybe the new bed configuration has help ?

Happy that you had some sunshine.. Will have to send all my MH BS friends truckloads of it from down under :SUNsmile:
 
Pug, it makes me smile to hear you sounding so much better.
Good vibes back atcha:egypdance:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom