THR Groin issue after anterior THR

Thank you for the info. My surgeon said I had no restrictions because of the anterior cut as dislocation is not a concern. I want to sleep on my right side. I‘m using a body pillow and gravitate to my right side many times a night. I then wake up in pain and go onto my left side which goes on all night. I feel like all I do is toss and turn. I’m so disappointed in my recovery. As the days go on it’s just getting worse and worse. has anyone seen a full recovery in 6-8 weeks like my surgeon promised?
 
has anyone seen a full recovery in 6-8 weeks like my surgeon promised?
No. You can kiss that notion goodbye. You endured a major surgery, basically,
controlled trauma. It takes time for all to heal above and below the surface. OS’s that promise this are doing a disservice to their patients in my opinion.
The healing process can take a full year and you will even notice improvement beyond that. If your visit with the new surgeon hasn’t happened yet…please let us know how it goes.
 
Don’t get too discouraged. The wheels in medicine can be slow to turn, mostly for good reason. Some of it can be driven by insurance but usually many things need a “wait and see period” because of the body’s healing response time. It can be so frustrating when you’re active and the timeline of your recovery isn’t mirroring what you were told beforehand. That was my experience as well.

Sorry, if the overall timeline has been a bit fuzzy. Let’s rewind a bit. @SaraK was spot on that this could spontaneously heal on its own.
My journey from THR to tendon release was 9 months. A good deal of that was in the “wait and see” mode. It was at 6 months that I had my injection. That’s what I thought was giving it a good chance to turn around. That timeframe may be too little or too long for you. The injection wasn’t a big deal and TBH I did have the thought that I wished I hadn’t waited so long. Remember it is also diagnostic. I know you just want your life back without the pain. You just have to dig deep, soldier on and keep making the next best decision. We’ll be here for you.

Only time will tell with the side sleeping. If your groin pain wasn’t there, I think you’d be a bit more comfortable. I’m a side sleeper. It still feels good to me to use the body pillow, to my hubby’s chagrin. Lol. Maybe it’s just habit now but it works. Keep us posted as things unfold for you.
 
Ty again! The support in this forum is amazing! If the injection diagnosis is the tendon I really don’t want to wait and see. I won’t have another THR. I just want them to go in and fix it ASAP so I can recover to be able to do things. Even walking long distances is painful and sore. I’ve been trying to get really healthy. Eating plant based and exercising have helped me to lose 20 pounds in the last 5 months. The weight is starting to creep up a bit and I know it’s because I’m not active.
 
At this point, consider reducing the walking. That may be keeping it inflamed. Give it a chance to calm down and heal.
 
Yes I really can’t walk long distances anymore. I’m basically a slug as it hurts to just lift my leg.
 
@Denpucc1
I have the exact same issue with side sleeping. This back only thing is for the birds. If I finally do nod off, I snore. Lovely.

I had my left hip done in midSeptember so almost 4 months. I can finally lay on that side without discomfort- but not for as long as I’d like so I end up tossing/turning all night. But using a kingsize pillow between my knees so it goes down to my ankle is a big help. No extra $ on another gadget. :)
Problem solved when I figured out how to get my self set up in a really comfy recliner. But it’s getting tiresome and I want to be back in a big girl bed!!!! Btw at 5 weeks for my right hip, I’m nowhere near being able to sleep on that side. It’s just time. And more time. I watched a full hip replcmt surgery on YouTube a little while ago. The real thing, not a cartoon. And after that, I can see why we hurt!! They really manhandle you to get the old one out. So now I have a much better appreciation for the time it takes each person to heal…..
 
Thank you for sharing your journey with me. I’ve tried all the above. I don’t fall asleep on my right side but wake up over and over because we m in pain sleeping on my right side. I was doing really well until about a month ago when the groin really flared up. Most of my pain was in the groin to begin with (I didn’t think I broke the hip but tore my groin my axle which is why I walked on it to get home). That pain was achy and very sore. These pains are sharp and severe. The pain comes on whenever I lift my leg. I feel like I’m going backwards!
 
It may not be sleeping on your right side but rolling onto your right side that is causing the issue at night. That and the multiplication of pain at night from all the day's activities made nights miserable. That then sets me up for my brain not being able to filter and control the pain during the day. I moved back to the recliner in the worst days with my psoas because of the sharp pain I'd get pushing off to roll to a new position. As much as I wanted to sleep in my bed, I got more and better sleep in the recliner. Plus, in the recliner, it's easier to keep ice in position. Anything you can do right now to rest it, reduce the pain and get better sleep could yield big rewards.
 
Hi Everyone
I had the injection into my groin last Wednesday. I felt immediate pain relief. It felt great! Unfortunately, the pain relief didn’t even last a week. I‘m in so much agony whenever I lift my leg or move it in a certain position. I’m still swollen and my leg from the hip to the knee (outer edge) is still numb and uncomfortable. Occasionally I will get sharp pains where the numbness is located. Is this a good thing? Does it mean the nerve is healing? I see my new surgeon on 2/24 and am hoping he can give me some answers!
 
Hi,

I hope I’m not repeating myself. I had the injection in my groin last Wednesday. The pain relief was instantaneous and felt great. Unfortunately the relief lasted less than a week. The sharp pain is back whenever I lift my leg and in certain positions. the outside of my leg, from hip to knee, is entirely numb. I had the surgery on 10/31/2021. Is this numbness normal this late into recovery? Occasionally I have sharp pains in that area. Does this mean the nerve is healing?
 
@Denpucc1 That sounds very familiar. Mine only lasted 2 weeks. So, it sounds like IP tendonitis is the problem. The next question is where you and the surgeon want to go from here. It’s great that you’ll be seeing him in just over a week.

It does take a while for some areas to “wake up” after surgery as nerves are slower to heal than other tissues. It is common to have those zings and zaps as they do. Just another thing to ask the doctor who could explain it completely. You might want to write down all the things you want to discuss so you don’t forget anything. It will be interesting to hear what he has to say. We’ll be looking forward to any update.
 
Also, try to avoid the movements that cause you pain. Well, at least any at the extreme range of motion. I know, easier said than done. Keep icing. Anything to get you more comfortably to your next appointment. Blessings.
 
Hi Everyone

I met with a new OS to discuss the pain in my groin. He uses the anterior approach but has never seen a case of groin pain after a THR. He didn’t seem to understand the psoas sheath injection into the tendon was a diagnostic procedure. He told me I should have had pain relief for a year! He doesn’t do arthroscopic surgery and referred me to someone n their practice who only does arthroscopic surgeries. I moved to upstate NY in June 2020. I spent nearly my entire life in NJ and never heard of a large practice only having one OS who does arthroscopic surgeries. Anyway, the doc I saw was an older gentleman and basically told me that I’m 63 years old with an TKR and THR and should get use to the idea that I can’t do the things I did before! I’m sorry but I’m not going out to buy my wheelchair anytime soon! I was extremely annoyed and left. If the appointment doesn’t go well next week with the other surgeon in the practice I’m thinking of going into NYC‘s Hospital for Special Surgeries. Anyone out there familiar with a good OS who does anterior THRs? Thank you again for this marvelous forum!!!
 
Hi @Denpucc1
Sorry you’ve had such a hard time.

I know upstate well - grew up there and went to Union in Schenectady before moving to NYC. Where are you?

I’m a longtime customer of Hospital for Special Surgery (HSS). I can’t say enough good things about it. They’re #1 in orthopedics in the US for a reason. Believe it or not, I’ve had 10 (yes, 10) surgeries there in the last 4 yrs.

The surgeon who did both of my hips was so special. I trust him completely and feel so confident in his care. I recommend him without question. He does primary and revision surgeries for hips and knees.

Here’s his bio from the HSS website


He is also part of the specialized team there that does the most complex revision work. My daughter had a revision with one of his colleagues. Here’s some info on that particular group:


I’m going to send you a PM as well. Look out for it.

And btw, Being told you can’t do things because of a TKR and THR is just nonsense and any surgeon you see at HSS would never say that. I’ve been doing CrossFit for 9 years now. And even though I have 2 new hips, a TKR from 2019 and a metal plate w screws in my cervical spine…..I’m ok to go back to it and got the ok from my drs. I need to be very watchful, go slow and will modify a lot of what we do and I certainly won’t be lifting the kind of weight I did before…..but I’m ok to return to the concept of it. HSS wants you to move!

Hang in - there is hope out there!
 
Hello @Denpucc1 I’m sorry for your ongoing issue and the pain it’s causing.
I‘m happy you and @Magsmom have connected. Magsmom, you’ve provided some very good information.

Please consider leaving the conversation on the forum as much as possible, as opposed to PM, because it’s truly a benefit to others experiencing the same, either now, or in the future. We all learn through others experiences and that’s what makes this forum such a great asset.
I hope you both have a wonderful Sunday!
 
I think a second or third opinion are in order. There is no excuse for any medical professional to be patronizing. There was a resident that suggested the same thing to me that your doctor did and I pointed out to him in no uncertain terms that it was perfectly reasonable to expect my THR hip to perform at least as well as my other good, same aged hip. His face was priceless.

I had to get a second opinion for my tenotomy that was done arthroscopically. Being outside the practice of my OS, was also a plus. He was experienced but young enough to be up on the latest techniques. Again, you have options. Listen to what these docs have to say, ask questions, and make the best decision that works for you. You had the surgeries to get back to your life and you should continue to pursue that goal.
 
Back
Top Bottom