Guest viewing is limited

TKR Gramanator57's Second Knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is great news on the disability! I am sure the right job will come along at the right time.

You should never feel guilty about stating your feelings. I have a brother with Stage 4 Colon Cancer and a severely damaged heart. When I told him I felt badly about complaining about my knee, he told me that no matter how big or small your challenge, it is YOUR challenge and it is important to YOU, so that makes it important to people that care about you. I care about you and I understand the frustration! This takes
F O R E V E R!!! I must have been asleep (or more likely in the bathroom) when God handed out patience! Hahaha! This too shall pass. I wish you a day filled with sunshine, minimal pain, and something to make you smile.
 
You are amazingly kind and wise!! Thank you for your response.
You are one of the people I try to at least keep up with, though I have not been posting a whole lot. :sigh:

I start out-patient PT this morning...it's ridiculously cold today, but it will be good to go out!!!

I am usually an upbeat person, so it is hard feeling so flat...and watching so much mindless TV...and wondering if I will remember ANYTHING when I start working again...lol! :heehee:

The little thingies are working now...it's already a better day!! :yes!::flwrysmile:
 
Good for you doing so well with your surgeries. I think.a mild depression is somewhat normal due to the isolation and alone time..especially if you are used to working around people. I did mine 10 weeks apart and am much better 5 weeks out but waiting for the next step...driving.. and feeling like you some days.
Good luck with your job search. The right one will be there waiting for you.

left knee 9/21/15
right knee 11/30/15
 
I have been cleared to drive...I am working on getting the Norco schedule to work with when I want/need to do so. I'm down to four pills in a 24 hour period, but the timing is awkward.
I've managed to get myself at "withdrawal lite" a couple of times the past week as I've tried to adjust this.
I'm so close, I think that adds to the stress...just out of reach!!! :swoon:
I'll get there...patience...yessss...
 
Congratulations on being able to drive again. You've got your freedom back! :)

I'm sure you'll work out the timing of the meds in the next few days.
 
:hog: Congratulations on your freedom!!! The Darling will not let me drive until the OS says ok. We go tomorrow! :loveshwr: (Sorry I couldn't find a car - the motorcycle will have to do.)

How did PT go today?
 
I love the motorcycle...it expresses my (very) inner badass!!!
I was cleared to drive at four weeks...I've done two little trips around town. It is invigorating!
I hope you get the all clear tomorrow!!!!

Thank you for asking about my PT!
I had a good session today. I am working with the same therapist I had with my first knee. We get along very well.
He likes to stay on the cutting edge of new treatment options and has never pushed on my knee or caused pain.
After some gentle bending and hip work ( a lot of my gait irregularities are rooted in hip muscles I haven't used in a decade) plus a lovely knee massage, he said I looked like I could probably do the bike.
I gave it a try, and went around with no problem!! So I did about 7 minutes!!

So after all my whining, I ended up having a good day!!!
 
See....it all comes together eventually. I am glad PT was a good experience and you are feeling better.

Would you believe I CAN ride a motorcycle? I have three brothers and we had two motorcycles and you can bet I would not let my brothers do something I couldn't! Ha! The motorcycles along with the horses provided me with a lot of adventure when I was young.

I hope you have a restful night and your day tomorrow is filled with little sly smiles at things that make your heart laugh.
 
I have always wanted to learn to ride a motorcycle!!!!
I rode horses and ran a boarding and lesson stable for eleven years when I was in my 40's. (I was really glad to do my dream before my body broke down)
I also had adventures as a teenager with my friends and our intrepid mounts that seem totally foolhardy and crazy now. Ignorance was bliss...and we had magical trust in our horses.
I have a dream to lose at least 40 pounds and get on a horse again. It could happen!!!!!

:horseriding:

I always wondered why folks would think motorcycles were so dangerous. They don't spook or run away with you!

Thank you for your kind wishes for me. I hope the same for you and more!! :loveshwr:
 
I'm glad your disability was continued. That does take a bit off your mind. I was job hunting before my surgery. I was lucky to find one that they kept open for me for three months. Then it took a couple of more weeks to do their 'on boarding' procedure. You can start looking now because by the time you find that right job you will be closer to where you need to be and the job will be ready for you.
 
Gramanator57! You can be kind of hard on yourself can't you? :sigh: Don't apologize for feeling down or discouraged -we have all been there for sure! And we are here to listen and commiserate. I am glad to hear about your disability extension - that is just excellent! I went back to work a few weeks ago (but employer was closed for 10 days over the holidays), and while I am feeling swollen, achy and exhausted, I am also feeling very grateful for my health and disability benefits! This recovery is hard, and financial worries make it even harder. Congrats on driving again - I also live in a western Boston suburb, and can't really go anywhere without a car. Especially when it's 7 degrees like it was this morning! Hang in there.
 
I have always wanted to learn to ride a motorcycle!!!!
I rode horses and ran a boarding and lesson stable for eleven years when I was in my 40's. (I was really glad to do my dream before my body broke down)
I also had adventures as a teenager with my friends and our intrepid mounts that seem totally foolhardy and crazy now. Ignorance was bliss...and we had magical trust in our horses.
I have a dream to lose at least 40 pounds and get on a horse again. It could happen!!!!!

:horseriding:

I always wondered why folks would think motorcycles were so dangerous. They don't spook or run away with you!

Thank you for your kind wishes for me. I hope the same for you and more!! :loveshwr:

I worked with horses, running a sport horse training yard in Ireland for 15 years until 2010. I also ride motorcycles. I've just got back on mine today for the first time. You should do it! It's never too late too learn! Horses have caused me more damage than my bikes ever did. Long may it continue.
 
:flwrysmile:Today is my six month celebration for Knee #1 (and about three months for #2!!!!) :flwrysmile:

I have had many up and downs, but I have to say the "dark days" are fading away and seem like a bad dream.

I walked a mile, with hills over the weekend, and I only was a little sore afterwards!!!
Overall, my right knee is doing well. I can do almost everything around the house with little pain,
(EXCEPT getting out of chairs, I still have a quick zip on the way up.:gaah:)

When I overdo it, I still have pain where my quad hits the top of my knees...pretty equal in both of them, but it resolves quickly with ice and elevation.
After my second replacement, it was a bit surprising to have both knees end up being equally sore.
My guess is that there was a lot more work done on my right knee and it was straightened from 28 degrees to six degrees of crookedness.
It is still amazing to see straight legs when I look in the mirror!

I've had good luck with my physical therapist. He has never tried to force my knee to get extra bend or anything like that. I have 130 degrees flexion in both knees. He has been working on restoring hip and thigh muscles that haven't been used correctly in years. I can now walk without a limp or cane most of the time on a level surface!! I still use my cane if I walk outside, but I am finally able to do so without staring at the ground!!!!
I think this week will be my last week of PT...I am going to miss it.

Hopefully, I will get to the pool on a regular basis...I have started to get back into the arthritis water workout classes. It was shocking how much it hurt afterwards when I tried one too early!
I also have to get used to how my knees feel in the water. It is unpleasant. I feel like the "tight band" feeling comes back with a vengeance while they are submerged. I also can hardly kick when I try to swim. Weird.

I am also job hunting in earnest. It is discouraging to say the least.
I am so fortunate that my severance pay got dumped into the last quarter of '15 so my unemployment is more than it would have been if I had applied when I first got laid off. Talk about silver linings!!
I didn't realize that would be another benefit of doing the second knee before the end of the year.:egypdance:

But...I really need to work!!!!
It's been a loooong recovery and I am ready to feel like a normal person!!!

So...sorry this is so stream-of-conscious...but I did want to mark my six months of being on the journey to a pain free future. I couldn't have done it without all of you here at Bonesmart!!!!! :loveshwr:



:happydance: :SUNsmile: The days are getting longer..spring is just around the corner...life is good! :SUNsmile: :happydance:
 
Great report I also feel normal now that I have heard you also still have twinges and swelling with your knees. I am walking a lot more but if I sit to long its sore to get up and if I stand to long it starts getting sore. I am also still icing every night and it feels great. It only gets better every day.
Right :yes!: :yes!:
 
I'm so happy for you. What a great report. Happy anniversary to your knees. I hope you continue to progress.
 
Congratulations of a great recovery! it is good to read when someone recoveries and can say "life is good". Good luck with the job hunt.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom