TKR Going through awful pain med withdrawal....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aren’t we funny? Worrying about hairy legs! I’m glad somebody’s pre-op class covered this. My pre-op binder had it on page 4 and was in tiny writing. I wonder if I should keep track of things my OS should know about the pre-op information - Like withdrawal and being careful about shaving. @nuttybrunette - I’m so glad that you are doing well coming off Tramadol. I agree, the sweats were very different from the hot flashes. Good luck going back to work. I love this forum! Between the articles and the sharing, it’s made my recovery much easier. And @Jockette, area around the scar is pretty hairy!! Nobody knows but me!
 
And @Jockette, area around the scar is pretty hairy!! Nobody knows but me!
Mine was too!! Ew!! I was so careful and even later when the incision healed I was still careful and it would look good until I got in the car to go somewhere and in the daylight were all the ones I missed! :yikes:

I finally don’t worry about it. No one my age can see detail like that! :rotfl:
 
@sistersinhim - you are so right! My numb scar area is pretty hairy! I try to shave gently once in a while so I don’t have to braid it!! :thankyou:
 
@Josephine - is that true even if your scar is completely healed? Is there still a danger of joint infection if you knick the surgical area?
 
There might be a teeny risk of the nick getting infected but it wouldn't pose any problem to your joint.
 
Thanks @Josephine - wouldn't want to have trouble with this new knee now as things are progressing nicely.
 
Yes stay away from PT!! I had a horrific experience and every single exercise and methodology they used were ALL mentioned here as things to NOT do!

The final straw for me (after being held down screaming while the PT forced a bend) was being told next time they were going to restrain me and use this machine to force the knee to bend. Right. How about HELL NO!!!

I was four weeks post op and had 90-100 ROM and extension of about +1. Not horrible at all but they wanted 125 lol!! Using the Bonesmart way I went to my orthopod today for a follow up and had a great report! I am at 110-115 and 0 !! That is post MUA (they got me to 125). Doc was pleased and encouraging . Ha!! Finally on the right track!
 
@Katkins - Can I ask why you had an MUA? I quit PT, as you have read, after 2 sessions. I continue to try and get better ROM with gentle stretching. Last check I was 117 and almost completely flat. It’s been almost 3 months now and I still feel the knee is quite stiff.. not due to the knee joint itself, but the scar and surrounding skin have been hard to move. I have an appointment with OS in a couple of weeks and really don’t want an MUA giving how rough the knee is handled during it. Glad you are on the mend!!
 
You won’t be told to get an MUA, @Ellie@0318. That 117 flexion is way too good! Seriously. Most surgeons won’t even consider MUA for any flexion greater than 90. You are well on your way to even more flexion just going ahead as you’re doing right now.

Your stiffness and the tightness with the incision is completely normal. Three months after surgery is still early. There’s swelling inside the knee still that won’t go away completely for a few months yet (just keep doing what you’re doing... your body is dealing with this) and the incision might feel tight now but will loosen up. If you want to, you can massage the scar with a cocoa butter or other skin-friendly cream. I did this on my scars and felt it helped loosen them a bit.

My tightness and stiffness went away completely at about 10 months. Some people get stiffness-free earlier, and others much later. That day will come, though. :)
 
Thanks @SusieShoes! I’m trying to loosen the skin and scar up, but it burns and feels as though it will tear. Great idea with the cocoa butter... I’m thinking coconut oil too. I’m glad the internal knee pain is gone... just the bending due to stiff scar tissue. SO darn glad I’m not looking a an MUA!! I’ll try and be patient with the knee... sounds like I have a little way to go for a complete healing. Now if my hyper sensitive skin would ease off..... Thanks again!
 
@CaliCat The knee sensitivity has been brutal for me. I had both knees done and the air touching them bugs me. Night time is the absolute worst. I tried the Saran Wrap and that didn't work well for me, I also used Ace bandages, but they seemed too thick and bulky. I have these nice silicone strips from a plastic surgeon (and you can buy on line) called New Gel Plus. I apply a strip on each knee (my surgeon approved ) and then wrap Coban Tape around them. This has been a God send. I might add, that this site has also been a God send.
 
2 knees that are hypersensitive!! Whoa! Sleeping is really tough with only one... I tried the Saran Wrap WITH some cortisone gel I had at home. NADA! Ace bandage, nothing. Thanks so much for offering what helped for you. Will look up both items after I type this... and I agree... this site is invaluable! I sat out the other night with our fire pit and woke up with tons of No-see 'um bites all over my legs. They are the ITCHIEST!!! When it rains, it pours. Sigh....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom