Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Going on 7 Months

Status
Not open for further replies.
I totally agree with most of us are unaware if the length if this recovery. When I had my first tkr I had to be adamant with my job that it would take more than two weeks to recover! I am almost nine months out and my tkr knee is wonderful. I hope my second in September goes as well but at least am prepared for the worse. My biggest issue the first time was fatigue - for months and months! It does get better so hang in there!
 
@dogwheels - It is so nice to hear from you & most of all thank you for the kind words of encouragement. I would say even though I'm doing well there are the occasional times when I'm questioning myself if I'm really improving or not. You are right though the twinge periods do get less & less! And yes, you are probably right again that the OS's don't tell the complete truth about recovery time because who really WANTS to spend a year out of their life to recover?

I am so happy for you that you are doing well & the trip to Budapest sounds wonderful. Hoping the knee is in full cooperation mode & you don't even have to think about it. I would love to hear about your trip when you return.

And thank you again for the "pep talk!"
 
@Jozilla- that's definitely where I want to be is when the tkr knee is wonderful! Yes, I do remember those days of fatigue & am so glad they are gone. Thank you for your kind words, I do appreciate it!

Hope all goes well with your tkr in September! Will be thinking of you!
 
Had my 6 mo follow up with Dr.; he seems happy with my progress except for slight hyper-extended knee which is causing my continued limp as my quad isn't strong enough yet. Oh, the things that happen from a TKR....@Josephine is this common or am I just that lucky? So, my Dr. wants to follow up in 3 mos to see how I'm doing.

@dogwheels I take to heart your statement of "Every day in Every Way, I am getting better & better! That has helped me so much!
 
@Jamie - Would you please change my thread title to Going on 7 mos. Thank you!
 
@zlady ... your thread is now unlocked and ready for you to update us. Thanks for notifying us that you wanted to post. We periodically close "old" threads to keep new members from posting in threads with no activity. They often don't notice that and are disappointed when no responses come. But we're always happy to reopen them when you ask!
 
Had my 6 mo follow up with Dr.; he seems happy with my progress except for slight hyper-extended knee which is causing my continued limp as my quad isn't strong enough yet. Oh, the things that happen from a TKR....@Josephine is this common or am I just that lucky? So, my Dr. wants to follow up in 3 mos to see how I'm doing.
I'll tag @Josephine again for you, as your tag doesn't seem to have worked.
 
Your thread title is changed.
 
Well, here I am again after quite a while. I just had revision surgery of my right knee as the hyper-extension problem seemed to get worse since my original TKR in Feb 2014. Also had Peroneol nerve surgery in April to decompress the nerve in my knee. Oh it's been such a long road! I am really looking forward to walking normal and getting my life back!
 
I'm sorry you had to have a revision, @zlady
I hope it does the trick.

Recovery from a revision is the same as recovery from the original surgery.
I know you've been through this before, but I'm going to post the recovery reading list, as a refresher for you:

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist (PT) - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again. Exercise gently.
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lie down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

And then some wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM
 
[Bonesmart.org] Going on 7 Months
@zlady, I am hopeful that your revision will give you the outcome you were looking for with your original TKR. We are here to help in any way we can: answering questions and concerns; supporting and encouraging you from start to finish; giving you a place to vent, whine, complain if you need to; sharing experiences with one another; and having fun and some laughs along the way.

You may want to change your thread title to reflect what is going on now. Just let us know and we'll be more than happy to take care of that for you.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom