Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Going on 7 Months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @zlady - what a lovely avatar! I do so love putting a face to a name. There is such a likeness - is it your daughter?

Hope your knee is doing OK today.

ChrisX
 
I was just thinking the same Chris! Lovely photo @zlady xx


Bernie UK
RTKR 22nd January 2014
LTKR 2nd April 2014
 
Hi Chris & Bernie,

I just wanted to say thank you about my avatar & yes, that is my daughter. The reason I need my knee to get better! She's so active! She really helps me out a lot with the things I can't do yet.

Chris, just to let you know my walking is a little better without the cane at home...small improvement but I'll take it!

Hope all is well with you both!
 
Hi Gina - I expect your daughter loves looking after her Mom and being 'in charge'. I am sure she is a great help to you in more ways than she could ever know.
I am so glad that your walking is improving indoors, that's great news. It's a big confidence boost when you just know that you are walking better. Soon you will be outside, the 'safety wheels' will be off and you will be going solo.
I have had a busy week this week - I took myself to physio on Monday and we decided to start winding down my sessions. Since the setback I had, my PT has been brilliant, slowly re-building ROM whilst not loading and stressing the knee. I am now doing everything I should be, so its just a case of a bit more strengthening now and then I am on my own. My husband decided this was the point that I should go shopping on my own to our nearest big shopping centre. So I took myself shopping, not once, but three times this week! Just for an hour's shopping each time plus the drive there and back. It is my daughters birthday at the end of the month, and it was lovely to buy her presents in person rather than distance shopping online. I have found that it is the muscles in my calf and thigh that ache rather than my knee, due to relearning the correct way to work, after 28 years of adapting.
Hope you enjoy your weekend - it's your Memorial Day Holiday I believe? We too have a long weekend - Spring Bank Holiday. We won't be doing much as everywhere will be quite busy, and I am still avoiding busy and crowded situations.
Anyway, take care and hope your knee and the walking continue to improve.

ChrisXX
 
Hey @zlady, your daughter looks lovely, a little bundle of energetic fun and the best reason ever to get your knee sorted. Don't be too hard on yourself though, I sure she enjoys helping out and it's a good lesson in compassion ....and energy drainer ;)


Bernie UK
RTKR 22nd January 2014
LTKR 2nd April 2014
 
Hello @dogwheels & @cafecortado, I hope things are well with both of you today. Yes, my daughter enjoys helping me and does it with such excitement! Sounds like you did have a busy week...makes me envious of how much you're doing. I did manage to make it to the pharmacy albeit with my cane but it went well. I just can't fight the feeling if this tightness would subside I would be doing much better but I know it takes time for the knee to heal. My Dr. released from PT so I am doing things on my own. Did my spin bike & few other things & am now icing/elevating. I went back to work yesterday but I do get to work from home so that makes it all the better so I can continue to rest & ice when needed. I certainly hope you have a wonderful day!
 
What a tough day today was! Woke up feeling good...knee feeling good, got my daughter dropped off a summer school and came home to work. Picked my daughter up from school & just started to feel the ache so I took some Tylenol & iced; felt good so I decided to hop on my spin bike for 15 min. That felt good when I was done but then my knee was telling me different. I've been feeling like I've made good strides...I can now get up from off the floor without the help from anyone or a piece of furniture. Standing in the kitchen to make a cake about killed me ok not really but my knee was screaming to sit down....so here I am having a little pity party.....ok enough said! Tomorrow is a new day!
 
Hello @zlady - sounds as though you are doing well, in spite of your frustrations and achy knee. I know how frustrating it can be when something that you perceive as simple and straightforward, the knee decides the opposite and protests loudly.

I am so impressed that you are able to get up off the floor unaided. I haven't even tried that yet. I was supposed to practise on the bed and then do it 'supervised' at my last PT session. What with all that was happening with my daughter's hearing and her pet being euthanased, I didn't get to do a test run on the bed, and just 'omitted' to remind the PT that it was on the agenda of things to do. I am a total wimp! I really should give it a go.

My PT's constant phrase to me (apart from 'slowly and gently' of course!!) is 'listen to your knee'. By this time lots of us have a good idea when it needs rest, ice, or loosening up with gentle exercise ...... so just go with the flow. If it feels good - do it. If it doesn't - stop!

I do know exactly where you are coming from about needing to sit down when standing for a while. I was just like that a few weeks ago, and my reward for standing still for a long period was a stiff and swollen knee. Now I sometimes get a bit of stiffness but little swelling, so things are obviously improving and I hope that you will soon find improvements day to day as well.
I was at my other house for the first time since surgery at the weekend, it is a town house with 4 floors, lots of stairs and split levels and the lowest squishiest sofas ever. I cant say my knee was at its happiest, but I managed fine, along with the 2 hour journey there and back. I'm now back to a more knee-friendly environment for a few days and all seems OK. I am hoping that the old adage 'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger' will apply. The knee was fine, it was all my other muscles aching from the added exercise. As we will be down there most weekends now, it will be a weekly work out for me. I'm hoping it will pep up my stamina and work those leg muscles, so that soon I will not notice the difference and how much more I have to use the knee when I am there.

You are doing really well - take care

XX
 
gee, I wish I could get up off the floor on my own. that's very impressive that you can! i went to an outdoor concert in the park on sunday and after less than gracefully plopping my big butt on the blanket, I had to have my friend kinda haul me up by the arms to get me up. :(
 
Thank you so much for the words of encouragement @dogwheels! You don't know how much I appreciate it. Today is a much better day....these are the kind of days that I look forward to. Oh yes, the getting up off the floor was a total surprise and I relished in the moment as there was no one else around to see it! Last week I couldn't do it so there is hope! I hope things are going better for your daughter? Oh my gosh, I don't know how you do it with 4 floors in your 2nd home & I do have a low squishy kind of couch so trying to get up from that takes a little time & maneuvering. I am happy that you are doing so well! I have a follow up Appt next week with my OS & am kind of dreading it as I don't want to disappoint. Take care of yourself!

Hello @DogLoverx3, I can tell you at first when I would get to the ground it wasn't a pretty sight...took me a few times to do it to make myself look at least like I knew what I was doing & of course the same with getting up; I suppose practice makes perfect! Ha Ha Ha! I was reading your thread & hope things go well with your new person in your life! Take care!
 
@referee54, I just went back & read what you wrote on my thread & I have to apologize for not responding so I am doing it now. I am now going on 4 mos out & what you said is so true....you realize that the good days do out weigh the bad! I didn't ever think I would get to this point in time & it's so wonderful. I'm not saying everyday is perfect but they're easier to get through. I hope you are doing well.
 
Thanks!!! I am glad to read that things are beginning to come together and fall into place for you. Those early days can be rough, but I am happy to read of how you are doing!
 
My knee has been hurting for the past 2 days as I've been able to exercise in a pool for 4 days in a row & my knee is fighting back! Feels great during & immediately after, but boy am I paying for it now! Bring on the ice & elevating!
 
Hi @zlady can I make a suggestion to you please? I would suggest that you tag Josephine in to yr thread and list/bullet point your concerns regarding your knee. She may be able to give you some answers. The other thing that I would suggest is to read the mantras sent to you byJosephine on the previous page first before you tag her in with your list.

I'm glad my advice to hopefaith helped you. That's nice to know. Please feel free to contact me/join in with my crazy thread any time you want x x x x

Try not to be a member of the ODIC (the Over Did It Club). Just do your exercises gently and regularly. Go for quality not quantity. If it hurts don't do it! Xxxx

Love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
@Nana moon 27, thank you for your concern. My knee is showing improvement it's just that it's not fast enough for me & it gets discouraging when one day it feels great & the next not so much. Like you've said & many others that we all heal differently....just need that encouragement once in a while & this is the place to get it. And yes, I do wholeheartedly agree with the quality not quantity. Thank you so much again!
 
You are most welcome. You have the best motivator of all...your beautiful daughter. Just think of all the fun things you can do once your healed? Your quality of life will get better. It's just a matter of time.... Xxxxx love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
@Nana moon 27, you are so right! My daughter is my biggest motivator & I do look forward to ALL the things we will do in the future! She was so cute last night as I walked by her bedroom, she said " Mommy, you are walking a lot faster!" It made my heart smile!

Hugs to you!
 
I haven't posted in a while as things have been going relatively well with the knee. Still have a tight band feeling that certainly affects my walking; still have a limp but I am hopeful that with time it too will improve. The patience thing has always been a work in progress! Have been reading others threads and it brings back the "I remember when I was going through that moment." My recovery has been pretty good but I still was not expecting it to take this long as I am into 6 mos post op & it's the thinking "I should be back to normal by now?"

I think the hardest part of my recovery hasn't been with me physically but the emotional toll not only with me but with my husband who has the high expectations that I should be "normal" by now as it's been 6 mos. How do you explain to someone that has never been through a TKR what it's like? Hmmm...lots of ups & downs & definitely a lot of tears. This place has been good for me because I know that I am not alone! Things do get better!
 
Hi @zlady - lovely to hear how your knee is progressing and how you are doing.

I am sure that the tight band thing will go soon. In my experience a certain ache or twinge will really annoy me for ages, then I'll have a couple of days when it is not noticeable. I get so excited by the improvement that I usually then overdo things, and my joy is short lived as the ache returns. This keeps happening, but the important thing is that the twinge periods get shorter and the good ones longer, until you forget that bit of knee had ever ached before!

It is a long old haul for many of us. My own private opinion is that all the OS's know perfectly well that recovery takes more like a year rather than the number of weeks they tell us it will be when we first sign up for the procedure. Perhaps they think if they tell the truth no one will have it done?

I am sorry that your husband thinks you would be 'fixed' by 6 months - it cant help that you are young and have a young family. The expectations for 'bouncing back' must (for the uninitiated) be high.
My other half is not the most tolerant, but he has got used to years upon years of having to consider my knee in things. However, like your husband I think he fell for the hype that I would be running around like a spring lamb weeks after the surgery - but the setback I had at 6 weeks really knocked him back and he was very worried. Since then he has been telling me to not overdo and take things easy and slowly - in fact I am finding his reticence for me to get on with things just as frustrating!

Last week, on the spur of the moment, I booked a 5 day break in early October for us to go to Budapest. I hadn't felt confident that I could meet his sightseeing expectations up until now. He surprised me by being extremely conscientious about the whole thing. Now its down to me and the knee to do the business! Fingers X'd.

Just remember to tell yourself that 'Every day in every way, I am getting better and better'. It is slow, but we are getting there!

Hope all continues to go well for you.

XXOOXX
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom