Guest viewing is limited

TKR GlideFloss TKR Report - from Dec 06 '21 on

That sounds like a sensible plan. I am rather glad we have only two knees, though!
 
I'm sorry you had a resurgence of pain when the nerve ball was removed...... As you are well aware, you are still in VERY early days so don't worry if you have to resort to a stronger pain med here and there or even for a stretch of a few days straight. It doesn't make you less of a person! Your body just went through MAJOR surgery and is doing the best it can to heal.

Hoping your inflammation has eased up, don't forget that ice! Hopefully you were able to get another elevation wedge......
Thanks @Susie-Q . I'm managing to stay ahead of the pain curve without the "big guns" just yet (apart from the 2 doses of tramadol the other day). I added an Aleve every 8 hours to my Tylenol/Advil every 3 hours regimen. The only downside to this "brinkmanship" is that it's easy to miss the next round and fall a little behind. This is what happened a while ago and is why I've been up at this time of the night. But knowing that I have tramadol in reserve, and having experienced it's efficacy, is great comfort.

All the best!
 
That sounds like a sensible plan. I am rather glad we have only two knees, though!
For sure! But if we had at least one more, the experience could be so much better! Incremental process improvements can lead to greater results (and/or not, sometimes.).
 
Just a tip, it is not necessary to always quote a whole message, in order to reply.

Rather than quoting the whole message, just go down to the reply box, mention the member you want to address by using the @ sign in front of their username (no space) and type your reply. Not quoting whole messages saves a lot of space on the page, and also saves duplicate reading.

If you want to quote just a line in a post, highlight that line.

At the bottom of the post you will see:

Like/ +Quote/ Quote this message.

Click the +Quote

When you get to the reply box, you will see where it says “insert quotes” Click that and it will put your highlighted area into your reply.

Happy Posting! :flwrysmile:
 
the Lounge Doctor looks tempting but I’m too cheap/frugal to go for it and will probably “throw away more good money after bad” with another cheapo.
I felt the same initially. I gave in though and haven’t regretted it. Definitely had my money’s worth as I still use my Lounge Doctor on occasion while watching tv because I find it comfy. I also borrowed it to my mom when she had her second THR. She had it
f-o-r-e-v-e-r and finally fessed up that she was no longer elevating with it, but instead using it to lean up against while reading! So I guess it has multiple uses.

It seems you’re doing well in your recovery. I enjoy your cheerful posts and your messages of support to others on the forum. Hope today is a good one!
 
Day 5 Post-LTKR - 9am (April 19, 2022)

Start of day 5 post-op ... how the days fly by! So slowly yet so quickly. I had two very good, fairly long stretches of sleep last night … in our bed, propping my legs up on a bunch of pillows for elevation. I was able to easily shift the left leg around and even managed to sleep on my right side for a bit without issues (big pillow between legs) and also trialed laying on my left side albeit without my right leg over it. But as we all know, good doesn’t always come free (although realistically the price wasn’t that steep) -
  • Unlike with a leg elevation wedge, using the pillows had my legs at an odd angle that eventually started my lower back complaining and so far I’ve not been able to quiet it down. I’ll probably try a heating pad later since Tylenol/Advil (taken for the leg) hasn’t eased the ache any.
  • I overslept my 3 hour pain meds schedule and fell behind the pain curve which I’m still behind even after a couple of cycles. My thigh has a very deep, dull, slow throbbing ache, probably at the 5-6 level. Whenever I get up from laying or sitting, my knee would have this searing pain run through it but thankfully the pain recedes after I take a few steps or stand a few seconds with my full weight on the leg.

The new aches and pains notwithstanding, I’m looking forward to today despite not having any big goals for the day other than more inflammation management - which is going pretty well all things considered. I’ll also tinker with my 3-hour pain meds regimen - works well when meds are taken every three hours BUT all too many opportunities for missing a dose and fall behind the curve. I have to say though that I enjoy this type of “tinkering” even if I often times end up paying a painful/achy price.
 
the Lounge Doctor looks tempting but I’m too cheap/frugal to go for it and will probably “throw away more good money after bad” with another cheapo.
I felt the same initially. I gave in though and haven’t regretted it. Definitely had my money’s worth as I still use my Lounge Doctor on occasion while watching tv because I find it comfy. I also borrowed it to my mom when she had her second THR. She had it
f-o-r-e-v-e-r and finally fessed up that she was no longer elevating with it, but instead using it to lean up against while reading! So I guess it has multiple uses.

It seems you’re doing well in your recovery. I enjoy your cheerful posts and your messages of support to others on the forum. Hope today is a good one!
Hi @Layla , if el cheapo #2 is also a dud, I'll do the smart thing and get a Lounge Doctor. I'm sure I'll be able to find others who'll undergo TKRs and would probably love to have it. Had I factored that in my calculations earlier on, I'd have sprung for it too. Thanks and have a great day too!
 
love to have it.
Not HAVE IT, but borrow it :wink: I’m too cheap for that, unless it was my kids, or grands, or family, or a good friend.:heehee:
Since I have arthritis in my non op hip, I figured it may come in handy again one day and with these aging bodies (I’m the same age as you) who knows what may fall apart next!
 
Hope you’re feeling better!
 
Thanks @MaryCat ! I'm sure I am feeling better! That's what my mind says and I'm sticking with that!

All the best!
 
Not HAVE IT, but borrow it
I hear ya, @Layla . But ... our kids are in Germany and most of our neighbors have already had their hips and/or knees replaced. And ... we unfortunately have a house full of stuff. But before I get ahead of myself, there's always the chance that the second cheap wedge could actually do well.

All the best, especially on such a beautiful sunny Spring day!
 
@glidefloss glad to see that your recovering well. It can be tough managing pain once you start sleeping better. For me, though, missing a little sleep to wake up and take my meds was always better than getting behind in pain management!

If you are interested in trying the Lounge Doctor, you can go to their website and sign up for emails and you’ll get a code for 10% off. I actually bought a more expensive wedge when I had my first knee done and found it too painful to use. I eventually donated that wedge to my physical therapy center so they could pass it on to someone who might use it. The LD is not cheap but it is effective and comfortable (and has a washable cover).

Good luck during these initial challenging weeks; you’re so well-prepared that I’m sure you’ll do great!
 
Hi, @glidefloss. It’s Monday evening & I’m just now “ catching up “ on Bonesmart. I sure hope evening is finding you felling some better. So much of the early days is pretty much faded in my memory at this point, but, I Do remember the thigh pain, and, for me, the bruises were especially painful. It sounds like you are definitely on that “ roller coaster” part of this journey. Your plan that you have, and sticking to it sure sounds like a good idea. I’ve sort of formulated a “ plan” in my mind if I should at some point get another infection. Not planning on it, but, in case, a way to deal with it. I’m taking mental notes on your plan of action.
Well, as is typical for me, I’m sitting here the next morning with my first cup of coffee! Seems I get started, then interrupted. Our weekend was busy, our daughter & little whirlwind, full of energy grandson were here for Easter, while her husband worked on a big project he’s helping a friend with. ( we got the fun part). We dyed eggs ( and hands, grandson pmade sure of that!). So while Grandpa supervised a fun bath time, the two of us fixed his basket. Just some little silly toys & things, plastic eggs filled with candy. Next morning as he pulled each thing out, he was Thrilled! “ WOW! The Easter Bunny must really Love me!“. We’d heard this during the Pandemic, when the basket was Super simple, what our daughter could find while everyone was confined. Kids really can state it so well. Yep! That Easter bunny sure does love him!
This morning is a beautiful Colorado spring morning..... if you are able to see outside, the moon is nearly full, and at our place, there are some really pretty clouds near it. A friend of ours in Estes posted a photo of her view, & she had no clouds, but, of course, the Rockies in view. Not sure what you had in Denver, ours is gone now, but it was really nice.
You brought back some memories..... my left leg & knee are fine, so I quickly discovered that trick you talked about , of “ lifting “ the post-op knee with your good one. I got pretty proficient at it! I hope your new pillow will work OK. I was too stubborn to get a wedge pillow, & battled stacked-up pillows. Not the best choice. But, we did get a thick foam to add to our couch, which made it So much better during that time that it was the only place I could comfortably sleep. We’ve since passed it on to our daughter. When they come for “ slumber parties “ with grandparents, they bring it along, & our grandson thinks it is great fun to fix himself up a “bed” on the living room floor ( it is Quite the process, as he moves furniture, lines with pillows, etc), & Mom sleeps quite comfortably on the couch nearby. So it now has a new use!
Well, it is now evening, and I will finish this! You are now 5 days out. Hopefully, it is going well. You really have it thought out well, and sound so very disciplined, I have to think it is, and will. Still sending good thoughts your way, and looking forward to more good reports. Take care.
 
Hi @Catalien45 , happy to see you've had a wonderful Easter! Your grandson is so lucky to have such a wonderful family! The Easter Bunny not only blessed the kid but the rest of his extended family too! :-) Slumber parties with grandparents are the best!!

The start of day 6 post-LTKR has me in a funk ... but ... as caffeine starts circulating through my veins, oats and that odd combination of chocolate protein drink and protein bar start pushing nutrients (and fiber) through my innards, as I respond to messages and emails from friends and family, and read postings on this forum ... I can feel the funk slowly lifting. Later today I plan to sit out on the deck (if the winds don't kick in again) and hopefully the squirrels will be at their entertaining best! We have a lovely (if very distant) view of the mountains ... a great natural spirit lifter.

Thanks as always for your lovely "snippets of life" and well wishes!
 
Day 6 Post-LTKR - 930am (April 20, 2022)

Yesterday (day 5) saw continued progress in leg stability and mobility … hobbling around with the cane at a much quicker (albeit still stiff legged) pace. My lower back continued to ache but being up and about more often during the day seemed to help. When the Mrs went off to gym, I decided to do the laundry - lug a hamperful of dirties down the 14 stairs and later lug a basketful of cleans back up. This kept me a little bit ahead of my right leg’s 5th day “accomplishment”. My RTKR-LTKR side by side log has, for better or worse, fired up my competitive spirit.

I spent most of the day just lazing around elevating my legs and using the heating pad to tend to my aching lower left backside. Second straight day without icing … the thought of being tethered to the machine is an obstacle I’m unable to trudge over at this point.

Late in the afternoon my cheap foam elevation wedge came. I think it’ll do okay … we’ll see how it goes. I did manage to go to bed with it last night but moved it out of the way after the first few hours of sleep. My thigh was super tight and “angry” when I got up from that first sleep session which interrupted a weirdish dream I was having - in which I was super nervous, cold sweat dripping, legs shaking, heart pounding as I waited to go in front of the entire school to recite Tennyson’s “Charge of the Light Brigade”. So despite the leg discomfort, I was greatly relieved that I really didn’t need to recite anything to anyone!

I started this morning in a mental funk but as the morning progresses, the mood is starting to lift. All in all, I’ve been super fortunate and I have nothing to complain about (even if I do). Hopefully I'll finally get caught up with my pain curve (again) ... the tinkering of meds continue!

Have a great day!
 
Hi glidefloss, great to hear you’re doing so well.
The weird dream thing is very familiar; must be the meds. Last night I dreamed I was Captain Kirk on the starship Enterprise. I was trying to take a chocolate eclair from Mr Spock, who would not let me have one.
Happy days!
 
Thanks, @kiwicurls . Hopefully you'll get to enjoy a chocolate eclair soon! :-) Glad to see your recovery is going very well! All the best!
 
Day 7 Post-LTKR - 830am (April 21, 2022)

Before I forget - apologies for my long winded posts these first days after my LTKR. A number of friends/acquaintances who are considering TKRs of their own in the next year or two have asked me to record my experience to give them a better (?) idea of what it’s like to go through the pre, and post op and recovery processes.

Last night was an up and down one … I managed a very deep first session sleep during which I was totally out like a log. It was too bad I had to get up to pee and to take my next round of Tylenol/Advil.

Getting up from bed or the couch after longish periods of leg elevation is, at this stage of recovery, the thing I hate most. That’s because all the excess fluids from the legs that were kept away during elevation, would all come flowing back. It’d take around 10 seconds of being upright before the searing sharp (8-9 level) pain starts up in the medial side of the knee and that lasts for almost 30 seconds. Standing with full weight on the leg or taking a few steps help settle things down. By contrast, that searing pain was in the lower leg below the knee during my right knee’s recovery.

I did manage to get back to a choppy sleep despite my lower back crying for attention. Then we were abruptly awakened by “fire … fire … fire” - our wired smoke alarm’s back up battery was dying — and all through the house the “fire … fire … fire” screeched! (The smoke alarm company should have designed the units to call out “battery … battery … battery” from the one unit with the battery issue instead of having the homeowner go through the entire house checking to see if there was indeed a fire and then to locate the unit with the battery issue.) After this little bit of excitement, I decided to sleep off the remaining 2 hours on the stressless chair … with a heating pad nicely soothing my aching back.

The hassles notwithstanding, there were a number of things to be grateful for - I got a few hours of quality sleep, I didn’t stub and break any toes rushing from alarm unit to alarm unit (the stories of a couple of bonesmart users who did stub/break toes were great cautionary tales), I didn’t fall off stairs or the step stool checking each alarm unit, I didn’t oversleep my pain med schedule.

Yesterday morning I was in a funk despite having a non-eventful night. This morning I am feeling pretty positive despite a choppy night. The infamous and unpredictable emotional roller coaster of recovery!

A quick peek and compare of my RTKR log, lead me to believe that my LTKR’s recovery is on par. The additional aches and pains can probably be attributed to the left leg now being straighter than it’s been in a long time! I’m 100% certain that when I’m on a bike, my left leg won’t be knocking the bike frame any more!

Have a great day!!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jcx
Hi glidefloss,
Long time lurker here. My ltkr was 12/23/21 just a bit after your first.
Anyway, just thought I'd tell you what worked for me on getting up. ANYTIME, i was getting out of bed at night i would do 5 or so foot pumps plus a few glute squeezes before standing. This seemed to reduce that initial pain.
Good luck on your second!
Oh one more thing. Just out of curiosity, why'd you decide on a different tactic for recovery , exercise wise?
 
Back
Top Bottom