TKR GlideFloss TKR Report - from Dec 06 '21 on

@glidefloss, you are definitely well-prepared for your next TKR! But have you considered having an MLD (manual lymph drainage) massage prior to your surgery? I am convinced they contributed to an easier surgery and to less post-surgical swelling. In addition, if the masseuse could show you (or just check you tube) how to do MLD at home, it really helps moves the fluid that is created by surgery. I have had regular MLD massages for several years and can’t recommend them highly enough.

You are undoubtedly going to have a successful (second) TKR. Just don’t push yourself too hard and wind up on the ODIC bench. We’ll be cheering you on while you recover!
 
Hi @CamGram , thanks for your suggestion in re MLD ... I don't think I've heard of it before but have already checked out a number of YouTube clips. The massages that I've been doing on my legs is sort of similar ... but ... I never did anything to stimulate or prepare the lymphatic system for action. I'm going to start practicing that tonight. It's always good to have yet another "tool" in the recovery tool box!

Thanks!!
 
Given the changes in the angles of your knees after surgery, at your first PT appointment you may want to have them measure your leg lengths to see if you need a wedge in one shoe. This might head off some of the problems people have.
Thanks @WFD . Good idea. I know I was somewhat surprised by the feeling post-RTKR of being a little bit taller (my right leg was shorter than the left due to bowing). I never had any formal measuring of either leg and once I started walking more, my left knee, hip, and lower back started complaining.

Thanks for the tip!
 
Hi, @glidefloss! Sipping my first cup of coffee again, about to start our breakfast tacos in a bit. I had started a response on your latest post, kept getting interrupted, adding, & then, today.... it’s gone! So, starting again.
And you are just One week away from your second TKR! You certainly sound well prepared. I’m taking note on your high protein foods you listed, that is one thing I’m continuing in our diet, and so many things I find are high in sugars, so I really like the ones you listed.
You mentioned being ready for the “ unexpected”. I think this TKR has taught me that whatever surprises come, we manage to deal with them. I recently had a tooth break off at the gum line. The only practical solution is to replace it with an implant, which also meant removing the remaining part, installing the first mechanical structure, then waiting 3 months to permanently finish the job. Like that infection.... deal with it.
In the meantime, I’m trying my hand at starting some of my garden & flower plants from seed.. exciting! I’ve been getting some expert advice from my 80 year old sister, who grows a Large garden every year, starting most of her plants from seeds. We are walking daily ( except the past few WINDY days here, the wind plays havoc with my allergies!). My daffodils are blooming, & our large tree out back is beginning to show buds. Our beloved Farmers Market began last week, and I found fresh chard, which we have already enjoyed, & saw many of our old farmer friends there. It was delightful. I had a glass of wine at our celebration dinner , & Sunday, Margaritas at our daughter’s home for another Birthday & Anniversary celebration. All little celebrations.
I had a feeling that you used Panorama! My husband did a lot of research online while I was still resisting the surgery, & found them. They are Wonderful ! My surgeon is Dr Kinder. I can’t say enough good about him and his staff. I could always get answers to my questions & concerns, even in off-hours through their “get well loop”. Generally though, it was one of his PA’s, they were all very knowledgeable & capable. We opted to do my PT locally, we have a very good facility about a 5-minute drive from our home, and have both worked with my particular PT several times over the years, and, she has done a lot of TKR recoveries. But we considered the Panorama facility if we couldn’t get the added appointments we needed, after my cleanout surgery, although a 30+ minute drive....
I can’t believe your two kids are in Berlin! What a small world sometimes. Our son has been in Germany for 20 years. He loves living there, and loves his work. He lives in Leipzig where he works at an institute that specializes in immunology research. His girlfriend, who is from Italy, lives in Berlin, where she works for Zeiss, they produce optical lenses. They met shortly after he’d finished his Postdoctoral stint in Munich and she was an undergrad student there. Later, she came with a group of students to Leipzig for something at his institute, & they met there. The rest is history. :-). She’s a lovely person .... and, an incredible cook! When they visit ( recently for 2 weeks), we eat Very well! He loves to cook as well, & they cooked for us while they were here. Yum! We had to “ share “ them with our daughter & her family.... she lives in Denver with her husband and our grandson. It gets pretty crazy when we’re all together! We’re a close family. We see our son most years several times, but Covid made it less, and this is the first time his girlfriend was able to come since it began, as non-US citizens have only recently been allowed in. It was a wonderful visit.
My 6 month anniversary of my TKR was yesterday! About 5 for the cleanout surgery. I’m going to post a little update on my progress like some others I’ve seen here, they are always reassuring and encouraging. Hopefully, I can get onto my own thread, my husband helped me figure it out. Computers are Really not my thing, although I Do appreciate all they make possible... google, texts & WhatsApp with our kids, printing recipes off the web...and, this forum! But I’m sure glad to have a husband who worked many years in programming & design, who can help me navigate it all when I need help.
OK! It is now Friday morning, gonna finish this before it goes into the black hole, as I sip my coffee, then go start some breakfast. We plan to tackle cleaning out our office, badly needed today, very over due. Who knows what surprises & lost things we may find in there?:-). One last thing I meant to mention in regards to your recovery. I noticed you have Tramadol in your “arsenal”. It did help me with pain & did not make me pass out, so was effective with the pain. But, it Did give me pretty bad nausea. I remember @benne68 told me that Zophram helped her a lot. Being the bullheaded person I am, I figured I could tough it out, I didn’t want to take anything else. I should have listened . When I was in the hospital with my infection, my nurses gave me zophram. Really helped. I had a sublingual form which worked almost immediately. Consider adding this to your arsenal to have on hand in the event you might need it. I’m learning to not be so stubborn.( ..she says, as her husband & kids are chuckling knowingly in the background).......
It is a Beautiful Colorado day out, sunny, & I think the crazy winds have moved on. Do enjoy it, and have yourself a lovely day! Only 6 more days now, I’ll be watching & cheering with other friends here from the sidelines!
 
Hi @Catalien45 , it's always a great pleasure to read your responses and posts! Muchas gracias for those!!
I recently had a tooth break off at the gum line.
I hope the tooth break wasn't as nasty as it sounds! Did you have to go on antibiotics for all the dental/orthodontic work? One good thing about the implant - no PT required!
I’m trying my hand at starting some of my garden & flower plants from seed.. exciting! I’ve been getting some expert advice from my 80 year old sister
Good luck with that! Can't beat having an expert to help you through that process. Am sure gardening work can be considered a form of flexion exercise, no? Maybe next year I'll try my hand at that too although I'm hoping to travel a lot next year ... especially if Knee #2 turns out as well as Knee #1.
It was delightful. I had a glass of wine at our celebration dinner , & Sunday, Margaritas at our daughter’s home for another Birthday & Anniversary celebration. All little celebrations.
Celebrating big and small things are a great way to keep spirits up especially when wine and margaritas spirits go down. :)
I had a feeling that you used Panorama! My husband did a lot of research online while I was still resisting the surgery, & found them. They are Wonderful ! My surgeon is Dr Kinder. I can’t say enough good about him and his staff. I could always get answers to my questions & concerns, even in off-hours through their “get well loop”.
My surgeon was/is Dr Robert Thomas. I feel super fortunate that an acquaintance recommended him. And in a "small world" moment, during my initial consultation with him, I learned that when he was a new intern, my cousin was his head resident. And, it turned out that back in 2010, it was Panorama that I got the first of 2 opinions to have both my knees replaced then ... and when he saw that, he said that he always believed that it is when the patient decides that he/she is finally ready for the procedure, then it is the right time and a greater chance at a good rehab will result.
Our son has been in Germany for 20 years. He loves living there, and loves his work. He lives in Leipzig where he works at an institute that specializes in immunology research.
My daughter has a good friend who writes for Die Zeit and had a pretty long feature on immunology last year. I'll dig up the link and send it to you if you're interested. I'd not be too surprised if your son knows some of those mentioned in the article ... it's a small world after all! My daughter works for a UK artist management firm but is based in Berlin ... crazy times ... Brexit, pandemic, Putin's war!
I remember @benne68 told me that Zophram helped her a lot.
Thanks for the tip ... will look into Zophram. I think when I was in the post-op room, I was given Tramadol and I didn't have any weird reactions to it. At home, I didn't take any prescription meds and had a harrowing 2nd night (in a way it was good that it was so bad that I probably minimized the less horrible moments!)

Thanks again for such a lovely posting. It's another example of the many things I have to be grateful for!
 
I purchased the Breg Polar Care Wave prior to my knee replacement and I use it all the time. The machine chills and compresses the knee joint. It’s very similar to the Game Ready I use at PT at about an eighth of the cost. I know it works because when I’m finished and take off the knee wrap, I can see all the indentations in my skin around the knee, thigh and calf. I use it in conjunction with a Lounge Doctor and the combination has really helped with the swelling. If I cold only reduce more of the pain when I walk I would be really happy.
 
I purchased the Breg Polar Care Wave prior to my knee replacement and I use it all the time. The machine chills and compresses the knee joint. It’s very similar to the Game Ready I use at PT at about an eighth of the cost. I know it works because when I’m finished and take off the knee wrap, I can see all the indentations in my skin around the knee, thigh and calf. I use it in conjunction with a Lounge Doctor and the combination has really helped with the swelling. If I cold only reduce more of the pain when I walk I would be really happy.
Hi @jtrahan, I too used/will use the Breg Polar Cube and like you, I had the weird indentations on my leg after using it ... very very weird looking, especially in pictures!! What I didn't do with my RTKR while icing was elevate the leg ... I'll do that with my coming LTKR. I have a cheap inflatable wedge for that ... and if I'm ambitious, I can use the big inflatable exercise ball instead.

I hope your recovery/rehab is going well! All the best!
 
RTKR Post 18 Weeks; 3 days before LTKR

Right Knee

Nothing new to report about the right knee other than it’s been pretty stable, reliable and painfree. That said, there’s still a smidgen of tightness and occasional discomfort coming downstairs. Ironically, while in the “comforts of home”, niggling aches/discomfort going downstairs, sitting around, etc reveal their presence … whereas being out in the “real world” I hardly notice the right knee at all.

Pre-LTKR
I did my final leg strengthing workouts yesterday, keeping it simple - 1 set of 50 reps with light weights on the various leg machines at the gym. I will do light stretching today and tomorrow but not on the 13th, the eve of my LTKR. I’ll take advantage of the beautiful weather today to complete yard spring cleaning work and other post-winter clean up chores.

Yesterday I started taking in increased protein, fiber, pro-biotics … even as I stopped taking vitamins/supplements. I did a dry run of the gadgets I plan to use - Breg Polar ice machine, el cheapo leg compressor, exercise ball (for elevation), inflatable wedge (for elevation), walker (just in case needed), cane, compression socks and knee sleeves.

We’ll boil a lot of eggs, bake/grill a lot of chicken breasts, salmon and pork loin - and have these “real” protein in conjunction with the protein drinks and protein bars (apparently protein is great for post-op recovery). We also have on stock sweet peppers, broccolini, brussel sprouts, green beans, Polish sauerkraut, grapes, berries (black, red, blue) - “real” fiber in conjunction with the high fiber protein bars and prunes. Low sugar yogurt, kombucha and pro-biotic supplements will, hopefully, keep my microbiome a happy bunch.

So … I think I’m ready for the procedure. If all my pre-op work, planning, and post-op game plan turn out to be counter-productive, I’ll be SOL for a while until I come up with Plans B, C, and D!

I'm fairly confident things'll go well but I still have a smidgen of nervousness, a bit of trepidation of the known and the unknown. But, I have no regrets with my RTKR and am optimistic that I will likewise be happy with my LTKR.
 
Hi @glidefloss
I like your healing protocol. I also drank Bone Broth daily and took a injury and surgical support formula for 30 days post op, in addition to many things that you mentioned. Lots of protein for sure. You should have a good recovery! Only three days to go. Wishing you comfort as you await Thursday.
 
You've got a great game plan and have "been there done that" @glidefloss. Hopefully things will go smoothly but if they don't I'm sure you'll adapt and conquer.
 
Good Morning, Glidefloss... tomorrow is your big day! I have no doubt you’re gonna do great... you are so prepared, and, a veteran in this process. Btw, if you’re having your surgery at St Anthony’s North , I highly recommend their pot roast, if you get a meal following your surgery. It is right “ up there” with home-made pot roast, & plenty of protein. ( their broccoli is also really good). I’m savoring coffee before we head out for our walk in a bit. You’ve probably had those same Strong winds we have had, evidently bringing in a cold front ( 14 here this morning). So we try to walk early before the winds get high.

You asked about my tooth... fortunately, I was still finishing my antibiotic, so was covered. I had no pain, fortunately, no infection ( my parents were both Wonderful, but unfortunately, did not give us very good dental genes). And, like you pointed out, no PT required! It’s a lengthy process, but, the TKR experience does give one good practice in the skill of patience :-).

I’ve finally found the warm spot my sister recommended for my seedlings....on top of our fridge in the kitchen! Now that I’m feeling good, I enjoy cooking a lot, making soups & our favorite meals, so the kitchen is consistently pretty warm. So that process starts today.. I’m excited!

Yes, aren’t those celebrations fun? We’ll probably enjoy a glass of wine, & a margarita with our daughter this weekend, she & our grandson are coming over to spend the night. ( her husband is helping a friend with a big project, so we’ll miss one of his yummy brunches... it will most likely be pancakes... a bunny for grandson?). Looking forward to that!

I like what your Dr said about “ being ready”. I knew that the surgery would take me out of a lot of activities for some time, & just was not ready, mentally, even though my knee was begging. :-). I love my gardening, canning at the end of summer ( peach preserves & a sweet-hot tomato sauce that we all love). Neither my tomatoes or those wonderful Colorado peaches are ready til then. And, our grandson would be starting in-person first grade last September; I did not want to miss one little bit of the time we had with him. By October, both my knee and I were Ready! I don’t look back for a second. And I loved your “ small world” experience with your surgeon& your cousin. Is your cousin still active ?

Yes, when you have time, I would love to have the link you mentioned. I’ll send it to our son, likely he might know some of the people referred to. He initially came to Germany as a beginning grad student. One of his professors, who he also worked for at UT in Texas, was returning to Germany, where he was originally from, to head a big research team at the University of Leipzig, so David was part of that team, and was able to complete a PhD degree there, as well as a salary. He loved both Germany, and, the work, still does. No doubt, you will be busy preparing for, and then recovering from, this surgery, so whenever you have time & feel like it, yes, I would very much appreciate your sending the link. Who knows, maybe our kids will bump into each other one day, our son is often in Berlin, and his girlfriend lives there.
I like your idea of you & your wife preparing a lot of protein. It sounds like you have a lot of support at home, that really does help, doesn’t it? We eat a lot of protein still, lots of vegetables & fruits, berries are so good & plentiful right now. Mama was a nurse, & our big meal always included vegetables, protein, and, generally, a starch. ( Papa Loved rice & potatoes, & I do too, but keep them in moderation). We also had beans a lot, as money was tight in those days, due to some big medical expenses from a bout with cancer for my Mom, and, when the railroad ( Papa’s job) went on strike. But we always ate well, Mama was incredibly creative, & kept it nutritious & delicious. Maybe that’s why my sisters & I all love to cook :-)

I’ll be keeping you in my thoughts as you have your surgery tomorrow. I understand your bit of anxiety, and also, your anticipation of having Two good knees! I think this surgery , the entire process, has such opportunity to learn & grow : patience, self-discipline, learning from the experiences of others, and much more. Your attitude, & your preparation & determination continue to be a real source of inspiration, I’m sure to many of us. I’ll be saying an extra prayer, keeping my fingers crossed, & all of that, that all goes very well this second time around for you. And looking forward to seeing your posts on your progress!
 
Best Wishes for an uneventful surgery tomorrow and a easy breezy recovery. See you on the flip side soon! :thumb:
@glidefloss
 
Hi @Catalien45, thanks for your note. I'll try to find the link to the article in Die Zeit Online. The journalist's name is Mortiz Aisslinger and the article was Gute Besserung. (My daughter sent me a pic of the paper copy back in March 2021.

I'll be at Littleton Adventist ... and despite all manner of good post-op meal choices, I'll stick with the burger :-) My stomach and I were engineered for good burger enjoyment and digestion!
[Bonesmart.org] GlideFloss TKR Report - from Dec 06 '21 on
 
I will be thinking of you tomorrow, @glidefloss, and sending lots of healing thoughts into the universe. You’ve got this!
 
All the best tomorrow, @glidefloss. I'm sure you are looking forward to be in the 2 new knees club!
 
Thinking of you and hoping you have a very easy and relaxing evening.. you got this!
 
Thanks CricketHip , benne68 , CamGram , Layla , @mamallama , Catalien45 , FCBayern ! Hopefully things will go well ... but I am also aware that things can always go sideways. Good to have your good vibes to help along.

Hi @Catalien45, I sent you a PM with the PDF of the Die Zeit article (in German) ... but decided to attach it here in case you don't get it. You can always forward it to your son.
 

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
LTKR - Post-Op report (afternoon of surgery)
So ... I'm back home ... a lot quicker than I'd thought. Surgery went well albeit it took 2 hours (versus RTKR which took 76 minutes.) I can't wait to read Dr Thomas' post-surgery summary report (he was in the OR for his n-th TKR of the day!!)

Here are some quick notes/observations before I forget them -
  • I recovered from the spinal and whatever else anesthesia they used in the OR much quicker than with the RTKR. Early in the recovery room I woke up as the anesthesiologist was attaching the catheter to the pain ball. The pain ball itself was attached after my PT test, not too long before I was discharged. I didn't have to wait for my BP to go up -that took a while the first time. ROM was 100 but I expect it to get much worse as swelling increases.
  • Knee was achy - bending and stretching through the round of PT tests given prior to discharge. While in the car waiting while the Mrs ran to the pharmacy, the pain level inched up to around 8. An hour later while at home eating a nice healthy meal, it's down to 5-6 and dropping.
  • Going up the garage steps and later on the 14 steps upstairs was a challenge remembering which leg went first and to not go up reciprocally.
  • Straightening and bending feels tougher to do (at this stage) than the right did. Yey, two knees, same body, not exactly the same experience. Both the surgeon and the anesthesiologist did caution me about that.
  • Now icing and elevating. And it's nice and sunny outside! Can't complain … yet. :)
Thanks for the good vibes! They're working!

IMG_20220414_170708912_HDR.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom