Guest viewing is limited

TKR GlideFloss TKR Report - from Dec 06 '21 on

@glidefloss sounds like you are generally coping with everything well. Have you considered renting a lift recliner for a few weeks? I swear by using that, and slept in mine for the first three weeks or so and was quite blissful using it.
I think it could still be of use to you as you are still under two weeks post op.
The chair I was able to rent sat me back like a zero gravity chair, which was so helpful for my back pain.
 
Hi @CricketHip , yep, I think I'm managing ok despite sleeping and lower back issues - in the grand scheme of things, these aren't all that bad. I have an Ekorness stressless chair and would position a small pillow in the area of my achy back ... and have my legs on the ottoman where I have a couple of pillows (not much elevation in this position.) I can sit that way for half an hour before my legs or my back start fidgeting. I did find out that if I draped my left leg over the arm of the chair, it drops into at least a 90 degree bend, sometimes more if I angle myself correctly - and that position seem to stretch my quads gently --- big win in finding that out ... another way to stretch the tight muscles passively!

One of the reasons I look forward to going to the gym has been the use of the abs and the back machines. I'm able to sort of reset my back and for hours after I have good relief. I think once I'm able to sleep with my left leg bent to the side for long periods of time, my back will be happy again.

Recovering from TKRs is hard!! But well worth it!

Thanks and all the best!
 
Day 12 Post-LTKR and visit to the Ortho Clinic

Another restless night last night but a bit better than the previous night. Slept in bed till around 2am before moving to the office settee where I had the heating pad beneath my achy back. Getting up from bed still cause the sharp pain in the knee area - but the intensity and duration of the pain is a lot better than a couple of days ago. My back remained achy throughout the early morning - until gym time.

Had a very good gym session - did leg press, abduction/adduction machines and the leg press machines. Light weights, 4 sets of 12. Also did 6 laps of gym steps, reciprocal steps going up without the cane (just holding onto the bannister) and the last two laps coming down, also without leaning on the cane. Although my left leg is still a bit wobbly coming down, it didn't have any discomfort whereas my 20 week old right knee still has a smidgen of lateral discomfort.

After lunch I had my post-op visit with the Physician's Assistant. X-rays were taken, the aquacel bandage removed and steristrips put in. The X-rays looked great, the incision was dry and just about healed, swelling was very minimal. The PA confirmed the my back aches were due to the realignment of my leg and was a bit surprised that my ankle didn't complain as well. All good, so I'll see the surgeon in June for the final checkup. I also got the go ahead to start driving again.

The attached picture show the before (right side of the picture) and the after RTKR & LTKR.

And now, back to elevating and my version of lymphatic massaging of my quads and thighs. My back remains a bit achy and my quad and thigh still has a deep low grade ache. BUT - I'm super stoked at the state of both knees at this stage of their recoveries. My elevation and massages have really been working wonders!

I hope all of you who are recovering from your own TKRs all the best!!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] GlideFloss TKR Report - from Dec 06 '21 on
    IMG_20220426_132639956~2.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 128
More often than not when I get back in bed, I'd not find any comfortable or un-achy/painful way to contort myself ... leading me to transfer to my office and onto a settee
Night wandering. A common topic here. Always reminds me of Goldilocks. This one‘s too soft, this one’s too hard, this one is just right….aaah. :yawn::sleep:
You’re doing well, gf. Sweet dreams tonight!
 
@glidefloss , I set up our spare bedroom for myself after surgery. It’s easier to get out of bed onto my good leg, I can have battles with the bedclothes, I can toss, turn, groan etc , all without disturbing my husband. I learnt, from bitter experience, when I had feet done, that husband needs sleep too!
 
Night wandering. A common topic here. Always reminds me of Goldilocks. This one‘s too soft, this one’s too hard, this one is just right….aaah.
Goldilocks indeed!! ... sort of ... I've yet to find a spot that stays "just right" for more than a couple of hours. The saving grace though has been my first "session" of sleep (~2-3 hours) of the night is a pretty deep sleep - definitely grateful for that!

Another thing I'm grateful for, from a mental health perspective, is this forum. Every morning I trudge downstairs in a mental funk and as I read through posting, emails, etc, the funk starts to lift. As the saying goes, misery loves company! :console2:
 
I set up our spare bedroom for myself after surgery.
Hi @kiwicurls , if I were more sensible, that's what I'd do as well ... after all, we have two extra bedrooms upstairs. One of the reasons I hobble over to my "office" (a third spare room upstairs that I was relegated to when the Mrs reclaimed her downstairs office) is the blue settee I have there - I prop my legs on its back and get a minimum of 45 degrees elevation (pretty good angle to "empty out" my legs of most of the extra "juice" ... and the heating pad fits perfectly where it covers my back. Unfortunately after 3 or so hours of this, every part of me start complaining and it's back to our bed again. (One reluctance to use the other bedrooms' beds is - it'll add to the housework that'll need to be done, e.g., washing sheets, vacuuming and dusting, etc etc. I try to do more than my share of housework, hence my reluctance to increase the load!)
 
Hi, @glidefloss , & everyone else. I’ve been a bit AWOL the past few days....we’ve been working on getting our gardens in shape for planting, & found that the timbers on one totally had to be replaced! ( at the moment, I’m sitting with a heating pad on my lower back). But, they look great! And we are both so excited!! Our favorite nursery, a small, family run one here in town will be open this weekend, & we’ll buy some of our plants. Always a real joy to us, we have literally watched their 2 sons grow up , from teenagers to young men. I’m still working on starting some of my own veggies from seeds, but their tomatoes are always so very good! Also, their tomatillos, chard & broccoli.
@glidefloss, you sound like you are doing so well! It’s interesting, as I read some of your posts, I actually find that for the most part, I cannot remember the actual pain. I do remember that it was pretty hard, but much like they always say about childbirth, you don’t remember the pain. I Do remember being in such pain Before my surgery, that there was so much I just could not do! My husband was saying today, “ it’s so Good to see you feeling like doing this, you love it so much.” While he did the Hard part - tilling, lifting the bags to till in, not to mention rebuilding the one garden, & of course, tilling everything in. I helped with cleanup, & doing some clipping of suckers in one area & working on cleaning out our shed ( at least, Starting on it). It feels So great to be out there working! And, cooking & baking again. My quality of life is So much better!
I read some of your latest posts, & recall a lot of memories. On your posts, and others, I notice those wee hour of the morning posts. I’m a pretty sound sleeper, so that insomnia was something Totally foreign to me! It did pass, but I remember reading Bonesmart in the middle of the night. We tried several options fairly early on.... our bed, the futon in my sewing room, but, the only place I could really sleep Fairly well was our big couch downstairs. And, as my husband is a light sleeper, I knew this was the only way he would get any decent sleep. It took a while, but getting back upstairs in our bed is Really nice! ( kitty is much happier also, as she felt compelled to spend time with both of us, & was up & downstairs all night).

I’m thinking, you are nearing the 2-week mark. One of my surgeon’s PA’s told me that the first 2 weeks are rough, but then it gets better. I think that did ring true with me. And with everything you are doing, I think you are ahead of where I was. And congratulations on the clearance to drive!! That’s a great feeling! I still am enjoying that feeling of independence of driving our little Subaru Forester standard shift for errands & shopping. My husband does any longer drives, but, I enjoy driving around our little town.
Btw, I do agree with your doctor’s philosophy on the timing of surgeries.... I’m also pretty headstrong ( or, as my Grandmother would say, “ I’m not stubborn, I’m just Determined!”), and, I resisted this surgery for a Long time. Then when the Pandemic hit, it was really not possible. By the time things had cleared, I was Ready. And, I still say, even with the setbacks & sometimes frustrations , I’d do it again, in a Heartbeat!

I hope your swelling resolves itself soon. I don’t really remember any of the swelling particularly; I did use the ice machine a lot, and mostly, I seemed to have pain from the bruising. I do bruise rather easily, as I tend to be a bit of a klutz at times, and I do find bruises rather painful & irritating. I’m wondering if, as you are up & active more & more, that will get better. But, Do be sure & get your rest!
Well, the sun is out, & it looks to be a beautiful day. Our big tree in our backyard is beginning to have some blooms beginning. So I will definitely have to spend some time outside & enjoy it! The blooms are white and beautiful, and have a lovely fragrance.
Do have yourself a lovely day, and everyone else. I do believe our spring weather is finally arriving, at least here in Colorado.....
 
Funk Busters are we!
Seriously…I get it, I’m sure we all do. Communicating with those who understand through personal experience is part of the magic of the forum. Taking advice from those who healed ahead of us, supporting those recovering along with us and encouraging where we’re able, as you so often do, makes the forum the blessing that it is to so many. Good feedback to hear the forum lifts the early morning mental funk.
Happy Wednesday!
@glidefloss
 
@glidefloss I'm catching up on your posts—sounds like you’re doing well with your plans!!

I splurged on the inflatable Lounge Doctor though haven’t used it tons. I liked the idea that I could bring it on vacations for elevating my feet as some climates and types of travel will make my ankles swell. Once I was able to lift Leftie, I could put the inflatable LD onto my recliner foot rest. I’m not fond of back sleeping in bed but maybe I’ll give it a try again.

I was having some poofy painless swelling on Leftie that was not responding to ice, compression and elevation. I ended up finding an acupuncture practitioner who in one session not only reduced the swelling but also managed to calm down a tendon issue in one of my thumbs (De Quervains) AND I had two amazing nights of sleep after the first session.
 
Oh and I almost forgot @glidefloss , I use an app for medication reminding. It’s called Medisafe and has been super helpful.
 
we’ve been working on getting our gardens in shape for planting, & found that the timbers on one totally had to be replaced! ( at the moment, I’m sitting with a heating pad on my lower back). But, they look great! And we are both so excited!!
That's fantastic,@Catalien45 ! What better way is there to spend beautiful (not-so-windy) Colorado spring days? Hopefully your back will be ready for several more rounds of gardening work! With all your other activities (and your hubby's too), looks like your quality of life has been greatly enhanced by good knees!

I'm hoping that by midweek next, I'll be able to test out our new battery powered mower (which is still sitting in its box). Hopefully by then my achy back will be less achy as it adjusts to the new leg's alignment. The prospect of "playing" with a new toy motivates me ... to laze around with legs up in the air, "actively" reducing swelling in the process.

Enjoy the rest of the week!! All the best!!
 
HI @NewRightie , you're doing fantastically well yourself! Excellent!! I'm going to keep acupuncture in mind ... great idea. If the deep thigh and lower back aches don't ease up by next week, I'll try to get some needle work done.

Today marks my 2nd week post-LTKR and based on direct comparisons between my RTKR and LTKR, I'd say my left knee is a couple of weeks "ahead". That said, there've been considerably more pain and aches associated with this recovery than with my right - physically and mentally. Goes to show that no recoveries are alike! That all said, I can't (and shouldn't) complain.

All the best on your own recovery!!
 
3 Weeks Post-LTKR, 5 Months Post-RTKR (May 5, 2022)

It's been a pretty knee-ful five months, lots of ups, downs and in-betweens. Two main take aways to-date - 1) Recovering from TKRs is very HARD work!!; 2) I have no regrets (so far) of having my knees replaced.

My right knee has been performing like a champ, providing a steady, strong platform to support my new left knee. On occasion it experiences some tightness and discomfort, but (knock wood) not enough to warrant special attention. The right knee was "severely varus" (bowed) pre-op and post-op the leg is pretty much straightened out - and didn't cause back, hip, or ankle aches during recovery/rehab. The left knee was "severely valgus" (knock kneed) pre-op and post-op the leg is also pretty much straightened out - and is causing a lot of back, hip, and ankle aches. Attached picture from yesterday ... right knee scar barely visible.

The first couple of weeks post-LTKR I focused on inflammation/swelling control - lots of elevating and my version of lymphatic massaging of the lower leg and thigh. Yesterday, at my physio's recommendation, I started massaging the knee area as well - am not sure why I completely overlooked that to begin with!! - and that seems to have help reduce tightness ... hopefully the more I massage it, the better the drainage of excess knee fluid will be.

This week forward I plan to amp up strengthening exercises ... again, taking care to monitor the effect of such exercises on the leg before increasing the intensity levels. My legs seem to respond better to incremental exertion than to extended hours of inactivity/rest. That said, I have to be careful not to push too much ... as it can be way too easy to get carried away in the "heat of the moment".

Pain wise, my LTKR has been a lot worse. Night time my knee/back/ankle would ache ranging from 3-4 to 4-5 ... relief would come in the morning after I take around 200 or so left foot steps. I now rely on ibuprofen as my sole pain med. I suspect that a small dose of Tramadol would help me get a couple more hours of quality sleep but I don't want to give up driving by taking it. The left knee also seems to be affected by changes in the weather ... and we've had a few days of such recently.

All in all, I shouldn't complain about the way things are progressing. It's not a walk in the park but it certainly could be worse.

All the best!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] GlideFloss TKR Report - from Dec 06 '21 on
    IMG_20220504_135858284_HDR.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 98
Good Morning, Glidefloss! I’m sitting here with my first cup of coffee, looking forward to a beautiful spring day. It’s so nice to have warmth, sun, an No big winds! The rain has softened the dry earth, that good, drizzly type.

You are doing so very well, and you’re just roughly 3 weeks out from your second surgery. I’m sure all the preparation & planning you’ve done is a big part of that. I looked at your pictures.... especially the x-ray. You must have been in so much pain. Both my brother’s wife and a close friend from high school days had that same problem, my friend could no longer navigate the stairs to their basement , and laundry. So Her husband joked, “ I’ve been the laundryman around here”, when she had her first surgery. Yesterday, I had a nice visit with my brother’s wife.... she said that she always tells her friends, “ if you need the surgery, Get it!”. It’s been a number of years , and she’s doing so well. I still say, that I’d do it again, in a heartbeat! I’m convinced that all the prep information and exercises pre-surgery that Panorama stressed helped me considerably post-surgery, no doubt you found the same, and then really bumped it all up a few notches. I think you are much like my husband, any new venture, he studies extensively, & goes into it “ fully armed!”. It really helps. ( you should see our raised gardens...we get some really great crops!)

You mentioned the weather possibly affecting your knee as to pain. I noticed that with this little spell of rainy, cloudy weather we had recently. Also my lower back - I have some degenerative disk situation there . Now that the weather has cleared, it’s much improved. I’m always a bit stiff first thing in the morning, but, once I’m up & moving, I’m fine. I also remember some of the earlier days of my recovery, when I woke up during the night, & “The knee” would ache. If I’d make it a point to lay on my back & do a few good stretches, it would really help.

Well,as usual, here I am back, in the evening! Today, we made a trip to Wings over the Rockies to see one of the B29 Flying Fortress’ from WW2. My husband is a big WW2 buff, having been a small child, & some early memories. He was born in 1940, his folks had a small farm, so they had a lot of their food supply there. He still remembers a blimp going over as his Mom was hanging clothes. Scary for a little kid! I was born in 1945, so I don’t have any direct memories, but Papa had stories of rationing, & how he came to drink his coffee black.....” I could put that cream & sugar in my coffee, or, I could have the delicious things your Mother could make with it. Wasn’t a hard decision.” He was a little old for the draft, had 3 young children, and, worked for the railroad, a necessary industry for the war efforts, so he didn’t serve in the army. But everyone did their part, and no doubt, some of Mama’s delicious “ economy meals”, as she called them, originated then. She could really stretch the proteins, and come up with wonderful, nutritious meals. ( she was a nurse). Seeing the plane was quite an experience. We took the tour inside..... a LONG wait! We were in line for about 3 hours, mostly outside ; weather was really nice, and, it was a good test for my knee. It fared well, although my back sure complained. But, once we were in the car coming home, it was much better. It really meant a lot to him, he enjoyed sharing the experience. It was truly a “ once in a lifetime “ thing, they take this plane on tour all over the country, probably won’t be here again.

I’m wondering how your mowing adventure is going. Yikes! We just got a new trimmer, our old one just finally “ went”. My husband looked & looked, & could not even find the parts he needed to repair it, and, this new one has some nice features.

Do take care of yourself...you sound like you’re doing well, although I’m sorry you are having more pain this time around. I think you were prepared for it, but still, it’s no fun. For what it’s worth, at this point, i don’t really Remember much of the specific Pain. I remember it Was, but, much like is often said of childbirth pains, I really don’t remember it specifically. Maybe a similar experience, the outcome so enriches your life, the pain fades. Still in there with the others, rooting for you. You have a lot of good ideas that the rest of us can learn from. Thanks.
PS hope your sleep is doing better....that finally resolved itself for me at some point. Since I sleep like a rock, that particular experience ( insomnia) was a totally foreign experience for me. But it didn’t last.
Have a wonderful weekend coming up!
 
@glidfloss, Glad to hear about your right knee is doing well but do relate to “ lots of ups and downs and in between. “ I agree not to complain but to focus on the positive. Looking forward to 5 months out.
 
Nice update @glidefloss you’re doing well!
I hope you have a good weekend. :)
 
I’m convinced that all the prep information and exercises pre-surgery that Panorama stressed helped me considerably post-surgery, no doubt you found the same, and then really bumped it all up a few notches. I think you are much like my husband, any new venture, he studies extensively, & goes into it “ fully armed!”. It really helps. ( you should see our raised gardens...we get some really great crops!)
For sure, @Catalien45 , pre-op prep work is very important! And like anything else, one can tailor the type(s) of exercises and activities to their needs. I found out this week that a neighbor will be having her own TKR in July and I will suggest to her that maybe a simple exercise to do would be to sit down/stand up on/from a kitchen chair, several reps, several times a day - with arms assisting in the sitting and the standing process if necessary. And to do such exercise every now and then on the toilet seat as well. This will not only strengthen her legs and arms but could be helpful during her first few days post-op.

It sure does seem like your hubby's penchant for "preparing for battle" and mine are quite similar. I chalk mine up to being a pessimistic optimist.

oday, we made a trip to Wings over the Rockies to see one of the B29 Flying Fortress’ from WW2. My husband is a big WW2 buff, having been a small child, & some early memories. He was born in 1940, his folks had a small farm, so they had a lot of their food supply there. He still remembers a blimp going over as his Mom was hanging clothes. Scary for a little kid! I was born in 1945, so I don’t have any direct memories, but Papa had stories of rationing, & how he came to drink his coffee black.....” I could put that cream & sugar in my coffee, or, I could have the delicious things your Mother could make with it. Wasn’t a hard decision.”
I've yet to visit Wings over the Rockies (in the over 2 decades we've been in Colorado) ... will need to do so soon. Must have been truly awesome seeing the B29 and reminiscing childhood memories! Your Dad was a man who knew his sweet priorities!! :-) I think everyone should try "economy meals" every now and again. It's amazing how tasty, nutritious and affordable meals can actually be!

I’m wondering how your mowing adventure is going. Yikes! We just got a new trimmer, our old one just finally “ went”.
After a lousy (mental and physical) start to yesterday, the rest of the day unfolded pretty gloriously. For one, the brilliant sunshine and warmish/chillyish air was so invigorating! I had a very good session at the gym, especially now that my legs are at the stage where strengthening exercises start paying off in a much bigger way, e.g., wobbly/buckling of the new knee has gone. When I got back home I knew it was time to give the new battery powered mower a whirl (it sat in our living room for 3 weeks ... before I finally took it out of its box and wheeled it out the front door.) Love the machine (Greenworks Pro from Costco), quiet and with pretty strong self-propelling modes - which initially scared me as the mower almost yanked me to the ground as it surged forward when I squeezed the lever. I also managed to trim the edges of the front and back yard before finally calling it a day. It's amazing how a day can start off so lousily and end up so well.

In re pain - this might seem weird to most, but as I've started ramping up strength training, aches/pains seem to be decreasing, especially the peripheral pains (lower back, pelvis, hips). Yesterday was a huge turning point for me and hopefully I don't overdo things. That said, yesterday morning I was feeling down, this morning I'm feeling up ... the rest of today could flip things around again and I could end up feeling down later today (I sure hope not but I'm aware of that possibility!)

One of these days, take a few pics of your raised gardens. It certainly sounds like you and hubby put in a lot of hard work getting them ready for the season! Imagining the amount of heavy work that went into it makes my body ache! :-)

Thanks as always. Stay well!!
 
Hi @glidefloss just wanted to check in and see how you are doing. Sounds like things are going well. I’m doing well enough. It will be a while before I make it to the gym tho. My exercises at home are enough. I am noticing I’m having a little hip pain. Maybe a little more exercise could help me. Take care.
 
Back
Top Bottom