United StatesI'm with ya. I'm looking forward to spending lots of time in the mountains in 2019 after sitting out 2018 and reduced mobility the prior couple years. Yesterday, per a 20-year tradition, I sent out a group message to our annual mountaineering traverse group yesterday to schedule a 7- to 9-day high route this summer. As a general trend, our route selection has mellowed the past few years to reflect the reality of our aging bodies. It'll likely be April or May before I can make an informed assessment re the limits of my new knee. I've grown past the allure of epic near-death routes: I'll be happy to get off-trail for a few days at a time and enjoying remote high camps with solitude.With the New Year coming in, I'm wondering how much I'll be able to achieve this year. Both physically, and towards more general life goals.
As your knee heals, you'll be able to do those things you love to do. I had gotten so I couldn't hike or ride my bike. Now, I can!!I'm wondering how much I'll be able to achieve this year. Both physically, and towards more general life goals
United StatesI'm with ya. I'm looking forward to spending lots of time in the mountains in 2019 after sitting out 2018 and reduced mobility the prior couple years. Yesterday, per a 20-year tradition, I sent out a group message to our annual mountaineering traverse group yesterday to schedule a 7- to 9-day high route this summer. As a general trend, our route selection has mellowed the past few years to reflect the reality of our aging bodies. It'll likely be April or May before I can make an informed assessment re the limits of my new knee. I've grown past the allure of epic near-death routes: I'll be happy to get off-trail for a few days at a time and enjoying remote high camps with solitude.
ETA: It'd be fun to someday meet up with other TKR survivors for a mountain trip.
I could host a Cascades 2-4 day backpack/scramble, maybe with high lakes fishing if the group is into that. Late September/early October, when the Lyall's Larch turn, is a good time for some WA Cascades trips. Route options would depend on individuals' respective abilities, experience and gear (e.g., trail shoes for a trail trip vs. proper mountain boots for off-trail, ice axe experience, cold weather camping, etc.).Doing an adventure with some other TKR's would be pretty fun. * * * Cascades, or Sierra's maybe?
Not so much a goal. Exploring mountains is what I do, and I'll continue at whatever level I can safely do it. FTR, I've been mountaineering for 35+ years. This group has been meeting up for an annual high route for 20 years. Each of us, sometimes with subsets of the group, do other trips each year, include lots of spring/summer ski touring and ski mountaineering.I like your idea of having your alpine trip as a goal, and that you've been doing it for a 20 year streak.
No other TKRs in our annual traverse group, although one had hip replacement surgery a few years ago. I know a dozen of avid skiers with TKRs.Doing an adventure with some other TKR's would be pretty fun. Anyone else in your traverse group have a TKR?
Did it years ago, little interest in doing it again. I used to be a peakbagger, but now I'm more into getting off trail in the wilderness, away from people. When I did Whitney in a day, people were within my vision 90% of the time. Different strokes. We seldom see another party more than a day from the TH on our high routes.Do you think that you could work your way back to being able to do the Whitney hike in a day?
That's great. My wife and many of our ultrarunning friends have done it, some setting records. I signed up to do it one year, but bailed and skied instead. You and I may have some mutual ultrarunning friends.2018 was the first year in many that I haven't hiked the Grand Canyon in a "double crossing," which is going all the way across and back i.e. "Rim to Rim to Rim." I've done the route 22 times in the previous 24 years. It is 44 to 50 miles long (depending on your variation), with 11,000 feet of gain on the uphills.
United StatesNope. I did a few 10-mile hikes @ 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 months post-op, no swelling, a wee bit of I-T band irritation, but that went away by the next morning.@DIYSteveSo, if you go hike 10 miles of trail, does your knee swell up?
Than whom? It'll take all I got to keep up with my wife in the mountains next summer.Wow you two are just in a different league!

go get em!I’m signing up for ride the Rockies - an annual week long bike tour in June of about 500 miles with a few mtn passes thrown in - hopefully i’ll Be ready.
United StatesThat is great. I'm still battling swelling, and I have a few specific things that hurt. When I "scuff" my foot sideways, like when you scrape your boot sideways over a gopher mound to fill the adjacent holes, I can get a pretty nasty pain. Probably my medial collateral tendon is still sore.Nope. I did a few 10-mile hikes @ 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 months post-op, no swelling, a wee bit of I-T band irritation, but that went away by the next morning.
Good guess. Similarly, my I-T band gets irritated when I ski (XC or alpine) but it abates within a few hours and long-term it's gradually getting better. My theory is that the new knee is a bit different geometry and more solid and my ligaments and tendons are adjusting.That is great. I'm still battling swelling, and I have a few specific things that hurt. When I "scuff" my foot sideways, like when you scrape your boot sideways over a gopher mound to fill the adjacent holes, I can get a pretty nasty pain. Probably my medial collateral tendon is still sore.
United StatesSo true!Trying to get my full flex back, and that takes some rest and nurturing
That's great! I averaged 70-80 ski days a year for a couple decades until 3 years ago when my knee said "no!" My post-op timeline is similar: XC skiing at 4-1/2 months, alpine at 5 months. I've always planned to average 100 ski days/year in retirement and those plans are officially reinstated.I have spent the last 10 years skiing 80-100 days. I skied at 5 months.
I did quite a bit of Nordic skiing in MN when I lived there years ago, including a couple 50km loppets. Fun XC ski community.This year I moved to Minnesota and have just joined a racing skate ski team. It is pretty flat here---the ski resorts are a hoot!!
That's the plan!I think it is just important to do what you can for as long as you can.
United StatesI have spent the last 10 years skiing 80-100 days. I skied at 5 months. This year I moved to Minnesota and have just joined a racing skate ski team. It is pretty flat here---the ski resorts are a hoot!! I spent the summer riding on the awesome bike trails around Minneapolis. I think it is just important to do what you can for as long as you can.
United States