Gathering Myself Together for BTKR November 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so not into shopping that I didn't know what "Mary Jane" type shoes were. I googled and the casual ones look comfortable.
 
Years ago, when I sprained my ankle I started wearing Birkenstocks because they were the only shoes that could fit an airbrace. I always hated them before, but now I kinda like them. I wear a lot of slip on Merrell sandals, but swelling may be an issue? I use Crocs for gardening, and rainy day dog poo collections, but I think I'll throw a pair in the washer and bring them. They are good for the shower and walking down the hall. Rock the Croc!
 
I found some Skechers GoWalk slipons at Sam's Club before my THR. They were great for the hospital and PT. I am also a barefoot (and flipflop) kinda gal, so I ditched my shoes when at home. I'm going to stick with the same pair of Skechers til after this surgery, then go shoe shopping. With two new knees and no bowlegs, I should have a totally different wear pattern and will need new shoes. Hubby says if I wanted new shoes, I could've just bought them- didn't have to go through surgery to justify it!:heehee:
 
I also bought a large face men's Swatch watch on eBay, thinking that I could see the face without my glasses. No way, Jose!
 
I already have wide feet - probably from living in Birkenstocks or bare feet in the 70’s. Anybody have any idea about the amount of swelling in your feet one has to allow for after knee surgery? At least I won't have to buy two pairs of shoes, just so they match! Both feet will be in the same "boat" as it were, so my feet will be stylish going to PT even if the rest of me isn't :egypdance:
 
Question about clothing in the post op period. I need to go shopping before all the summer clothes disappear from the shelves. Ladies - what have you found to be the most comfortable things to wear? I'll probably go to a rehab facility from the hospital so I'll have to be decently covered:secret: I imagine that jeans are out and I haven't been a skirt person for years. Do capris work or are they too binding around the knees? I can't imagine wearing shorts in our cold, wet, west coast winter.

Any tips would certainly be appreciated!

Knee length, baggy, yoga pants has been my choice after all my surgeries and I am bringing a pair with me to the hospital, too.
 
Hi @Threads I wore my jeans about four weeks after the op. I don't recommend skinny ones. Wide leg or boot cut. However I preferred to live in loose sweat pants. Not at all flattering but boy they're comfy. I wore Skechers trainers and a pair of Rieker 'Mary Jane' style Velcro strap shoes. I never thought I'd see the day I'd be wearing these but they are so comfortable xxx make sure your footwear has proper rubber soles to avoid slipping.

An extra tip...remove any loose bath/toilet mats before you go into hospital and any ottomans. This is personal experience of slipping and tripping over in the early days of recovery xxx

Good luck
Love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I tried my jeans on about four weeks after surgery and couldn't wear them---my scars were way too sensitive at that point in time, but by the sixth week, for some reason, it was tolerable.

I just wore baggy sweat pants around the house and to outpatient PT. I have a plethora of short-sleeved and long-sleeved T-shirts, so those came in quite handy, too.
 
Hi @Nana moon 27 - I actually dragged a friend shopping this week so now have two pairs of sweats from the men's department. They are way too long but nice and baggy. Too long I can take care of. I also picked up a couple of men's Adida's shorts - really baggy but keep my legs uncovered. One set to go home with hubby to get washed and another set to wear if I'm in rehab. Thanks for the guidance in the clothing department @referee54. I still have shoes to find, but on advice I read here, I've put some new shoes away, that I bought just before sandal season. I'd never thought that it would be a bad thing to break in new shoes walking with my current gate! The things I learn on Bonesmart!

I can' t see me wearing my jeans for a while - they aren't baggy but I do have very comfortable baggy linen pants that I can wear when I get home.

My Breg Kodiak Ice Machine - with the Y joint arrived yesterday, so that can be checked off. I have a lot of other stuff going on this month, so I'm trying to be proactive in getting myself organized.

I use a medicine ap on both my iPhone and iPad and it works really well. It lets me set up an alarm to remind me when to take meds and supplements. The Premium version might work well in the US but I haven't used it here. It's called Dosecast and I'm pretty sure it was free.

Question - is it just because I'm on my iPad that I can't select and copy text from a post? I was trying to copy the brands of shoes you wore @Nana moon 27 but I can't seem to copy and paste. Guess I'll just have to remember so I can Google them ;-)

On another note - I saw my Naturopath yesterday and he also does acupuncture. I had a treatment and I had the best sleep I've had for a long time. He also gave me arnica - a homeopathic remedy. Slept like a baby.
 
Hi @Threads all you do on the iPad is double tap the text you want and slide your finger up towards the top of the text. Then press copy. That should do it. The text turns blue. I just tried it on mine and it worked x x x x
Love Ann x x x
 
Hi @Nana moon 27 - just home after a day "playing" with my textile addicted friends. Anyway, I just tried it again and what I get is the whole post in a quote box. I can't just get the brands of the shoes you recommended. I can do it on other websites but not on Bonesmart or Facebook. There must be something in the background of the site that blocks it, however you are able to do it. hmmmmmmmmmmm ......

Hopefully you are off in dreamland now, Ann!
 
Nice to hear from you, Linda. @VancouverUSAgal I've been following your progress and your setbacks. You certainly have had a rough time of it. Hopefully, everything will get sorted out soon. I couldn't believe the statement your OS made! Some help!!!

I have crocs but I don't find them comfortable. However, they are the original rubber ones that I bought years ago. I just Googled Crocs and see that there seem to be lots of different styles now and some of them are cloth. Thanks, will look into that as an option and make sure I get them big!
 
I found knit pants and t-shirts to be my uniform. I tried wearing shorts to PT but would stick to the plastic-covered tables :groan: so went back to the long pants. Once I was on my feet more I bought a new pain of athletic shoes (New Balance in my case) because it's been recommended that we get new shoes so we don't fall back into our old ways of walking.

It's hard to know ahead of time exactly what we're going to need after the surgery. I read all the advice and made sure I had most of it. I only used the "grabber" in rehab and a couple times after I got home because I was able to bend at that point to pick things up. One thing I still find useful is the long-handled shoe horn. I have the stretchy-knit "jeans" and was able to wear them when I wanted to but frankly I didn't worry much about my appearance in those first months. Some people find their scars more sensitive than others and even cover them with plastic wrap or something. Mine weren't that sensitive. The one thing I cannot imagine recovering without was my power recliner chair (not one of those "lift" chairs but one with a motor that raises the footrest and reclines the back with no effort on your part). That was great and I slept in that chair until I was at least 2 mos. post surgery and then gradually was able to get into and out of my bed which is quite high off the floor. I still wake up often at 4 or 5 and go sleep in the chair for another couple of hours.:sleeep: For some reason, changing position and having the chair with almost infinite adjustments makes me comfortable.

If I can answer any other questions, I'll be happy to try.
 
P. S. The crocs I wore were the fleece-lined ones which offer a little more support. However, Crocs are not very consistent in their sizing.
 
@referee54 - I can't find the tab on the top right of this thread that gives me the option to change the title of this thread. I checked the directions on how to do it but I seem to be one of the ones that doesn't have this option.

Would you please change the title of this thread to: Gathering myself together for BLKR November 12

Thanks - for everything!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom