BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

[THR] Frustrated

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by anny, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    :hi: @anny
    Stopping by to wish you a Happy One Month Anniversary!
    Haven't heard from you in a couple weeks.
    I hope all is going well with both of your new hips.
    Wishing you a great rest of the week!

2. BeBe

BeBe graduate

@anny
    How can it be a month already!! Well +1day?
    Hope your internet isn't out again?
    Hope from your hips on down to toes are recovering quietly and the side stitch has subsided. Those little glitches
    can loom large at this stage of recovery, and sometimes over-ride the most recent surgery issue.

At this point one can only give the body the time it needs to heal.
    Wishing you ice that doesn't melt.
    Family members that read your mind.
    Sleep filled nights.
    Crutches left in the corner more often than not.
    Miss you.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:wave: yea, what Layla said!
    Hugs Anny!:roseshwr:

4. BeBe

BeBe graduate

@anny
    Hi just checking in - hope you're doing well.
    Maybe you're spending more time on others threads..?

5. Alitm

Alitm post-grad

Canada Canada
    Hi @anny An overdue wishing you a happy one month anniversary! Hoping that you are well. Miss your sunny messages! Thinking of you :loveshwr::flwrysmile:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. anny

anny graduate

New Zealand New Zealand
    Oh thank you so much everyone for checking up on me.......I'm sorry I've been MIA and have appeared to ignore you all (I've actually really missed you :boohoo:).....partly cos our pathetic internet was damaged by lightning some time ago, but they either didn't notice (or chose to ignore it)until it finally dropped off completely.....never thought I would become so dependent on my laptop!! Then just as we got it sorted my elderly f-i-l ended up in hospital, and I've been researching 24/7 (feels like it!) for what might be wrong with him and what he might need when they eventually discharge him.....all in England, so time zones, privacy laws about what they can tell us etc (they've assessed him as no signs of dementia, but for years he has been 'economical' with the truth about his circumstances, and we can't get round that :sigh: have told my kids to get the sledgehammer out if I get like that!! )

As for me, well I'm suffering from that well-known side-kick of joint replacements, Impatience. The hip got off to a great start, only paracetamol needed, and allowed to drive from 2 weeks, walking without support (but I swear I was abiding by BS mantra of no exercise, just some gentle heel toe walking). My knee was a bit sore from the start but seemed to be getting better. Then 2 or 3 weeks ago, I got really stiff in both hips, and knee, with constant aching across both glutes (5000 squats in my sleep?) and sometimes a stingy pain in the area of the incision (which is fully healed). Also occasional 'toothache' down front of thigh, and my old ITB has started up again on the outside of the knee with a vengeance :doh: All in all, probably par for the course at 7wks, and I'm trying to get ahead of myself.....I think cos the 2 recoveries are overlapping I tend to think of no 2 dating from March as well, and expect more progress. I have my checkup with the surgeon on Monday so will run it by him but I don't think it's anything to do with the joint, just soft-tissue stuff, so I expect he won't have any answers......except Patience :) :-) (:

I'm rostered back to 'work' (I volunteer at our local Citizen's Advice Bureau) in 2 weeks' time so it will be good to get back to routines....I've been trying to keep the brain cells going by reading up on the controversy about low fat/low carb and all the politics behind it. My poor aged mind can only cope with a few page at a time, but it's certainly interesting reading and surprisingly compelling. It was someone of this forum who mentioned Gary Taubes (sorry can't remember who) and started me on this 'project' so thank you.....husband has Type 2 and I think this is quite relevant

Hope everyone else is doing ok.....I must try to get my BS 'habit' back, it's so good to remind yourself that other people have similar problems, and there's always someone with advice, experience, and just a hand of friendship :flwrysmile: I have been going on a Carers forum in the UK for help with my f-i-l and I really don't know how we all managed before forums!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Mojo333

Oh Anny !:roseshwr:
    So glad to hear from you!
    I am also sorting out the logistics behind transitioning my Dad and stepmother into an Assisted Living facility...and my poor nerves have been frayed.
    Bless you for all that.
    Your BS pals HAVE missed you.
    Some of these post op hiccups take time to get sorted.
    Wishing you patience and perseverance as you go these trials.:angel:

• Like Like x 1
  8. anny

anny graduate

New Zealand New Zealand
    @Mojo333 :yes: yes I've been reading some horrendous stories on the Carers forum of people dealing with family with dementia and think we are lucky not to have to contend with that at the moment......tho it might be easier to overrule that than sheer pigheadedness :sigh: . I hope you can get your family settled easily and happily.....both at once? No wonder you're 'bilateral Mojo' :) By the way, new photo is great, but didn't recognise your posts at first!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Mojo333

Amen sister!
    Oh my stars...I have actually been leaning on the reverse psychology approach...with my dad anyways.
    If I think he shouldn't..he will.
    If I think he should...he will most certainly disagree.
    I'm aware that it is hard to think things are moving out of his control and thinking of losing his independence is unnerving to him.
    But it certainly is a struggle as we want him not only happy, but safe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Nice to hear from you, anny.
    It sounds as though you're progressing nicely.
    Patience can be hard to come by in recovery, I'm sure all will agree.
    I hope you're able to stop by more often with updates. We love to read how you're doing.
    Best wishes for a great week ahead!
    @anny

11. anny

anny graduate

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Layla.....whoever said patience comes with age definitely didn't live beyond 40!!

Saw surgeon today, had a bit of a moan about the knee (that nasty toothachy thing towards the inside of the patella :sigh:)....he said it might be the wrong place for soft tissue damage, it could be that the op had 'woken up' the mild oa I have in that knee, and may settle with time, or may need cortisone (not keen on that!) He was pleased with my walking and we agreed that the stiffness/aches etc in the hip is just healing from the op. Asked him about the hockey-puck feeling (in new hip and has reappeared in first too :shrug:) but he didn't really know what it was, and suggested it might be to do with slightly less padding in the incision area as a little fat is removed in the op....told him he didn't take enough cos my weight hasn't changed :boohoo:

So basically, carry on doing what I'm doing (absolutely very little!) and report back in Dec for knee inspection....bet my insurance company is loving this :heehee:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Constanze

Constanze graduate

Germany Germany
    Hi @anny
    The bit about removing some fat at the incision area made me smile :) Now I've got it confirmed. I was always wondering whether the surgeon had removed fat because I've got that specific dent which they call a hip dent, and it is supposed to be so fashionable (like thigh gaps and bikini bridges) but said to be unhealthy because aspiring to it can cause eating disorders (oh dear). There is no hip dent on my right hip.

By the way, whereabouts in New Zealand is Kapiti. We have travelled to the northern as well as the southern island before. I believe summer is coming in your country. Enjoy it.

Constanze

13. anny

anny graduate

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi @Constanze nice to hear from you, yours was one of the threads I read a year or so ago before I decided to put my head above the parapet! Yes, his explanation made me smile too, cos my hips are certainly no less padded, and there is no discernible dent.....doesn't seem to explain the FEELING of the hockey puck....funny, so many people on the forum seem to have experienced it but he appeared to be hearing of it for the first time! My theory is that it's possibly something to do with the scar tissue and healing process of the lower layers.

Kapiti is on the west coast, just above Wellington (Welly is about a 50 min drive). It's a lovely area, with 2 or 3 towns just big enough for shopping and the hills to the east and sea to the west. Great for our generation but a little tame for younger ones.....I do miss stately homes etc tho (we're English).....the outdoor life is all very well as long as you have the fitness but doesn't accommodate crutches! Yes, weather is rapidly improving, tho I suspect we're in for a wet summer....not complaining, my son's partner is German and I know your winters can be pretty chilly!

14. Mojo333

I was thinking the same.
    I had the same sensation that would for whatever reason...may be a particular activity...would return and then ease into finally no more.
    Still lots of healing happening @anny
    Hope this week is a good week for you!

15. BeBe

BeBe graduate

@anny
    So good to have you back!
    Life without internet- its like when I was young and misplaced my library card...
    X100
    I have the hockey pucks still and the dents. Matched set. I swear if you look close you can SEE the pucks
    just under the incision.
    You're seven weeks already? How did that happen?!?!?

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Alitm

Alitm post-grad

Canada Canada
    Hi @anny, so great to hear from you! Can't believe you were without internet for so long! What a nightmare...terrible how dependent we are on it now! You sound in good spirits and are coming along. I keep thinking about twelve weeks being short term recovery and six months and onward being long term recovery to keep me being realistic as to where I am. It does require enormous patience, and the two rehabs I had to do with horses were sadly good training for me! Wasn't fun for the horses, and they show their lack of patience in not so fun ways for the person doing the rehab!

Dogs and horses go hand in hand. I used to make "jump courses" for our dogs when I was like six...and I still love doing dog obedience and agility. Your experience of first time riding coinciding with jets from the local Air Force field doing their low flying practice sounded rather hair raising!

I just came back from my six week post op check (was six weeks this past Friday) and all is good! Gearing up for #2, which was pushed back a week at is on Nov 16. Gives me some extra time to get stronger, so that will be helpful. He had the picture of both hips up. Righty is apparently grafting nicely and lefty the OS looks wretched! It catches and complains and I stay on the Tylenol for that. Not needing as much now it seems, so maybe that has more to do with righty healing. I still ice a lot, after doing anything like barn chores or a serious walk around the farm etc. Do that with horses coming back in to work post injury, and it works well, so using it on myself!

Keep us post on how your doing! Always lovely to hear from you:flwrysmile:

17. Bevlah

Bevlah senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi @anny I am intrigued by your hockey puck feeling? I have what I call a lump that I can feel in my bottom (butt!) If i drop my knees down. It's sort of at the top of the scar. My scar is mainly numb on both hips and doesn't seem to want to come back to life. The side with the lump has a big indent at the bottom of the scar. It's all a bit confusing!!!

18. anny

anny graduate

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi @Bevlah.....yes variations on the hockey puck seem to be quite common......we hippies seem to be quite aware of it, but surgeons appear to be (blissfully) ignorant....perhaps they should try their own op! I can only think that it's a soft tissue thing, so it's out of their domain. My scars are both pretty numb, and further down as far as the knee on the recent one, the earlier op side seems to be a bit less so recently. My hockey puck started with the March side.....when I sit down it feels rigid in the scar area, as if there is a small brick inserted under the skin, but pass my hand over the area and there is no depression or lump or anything. It started to feel less by the time I had the Sept op.....that one felt the same but more so, and the March one felt more obvious again.....but still nothing to feel with my hand. It's a very strange feeling, I could swear I've got a big sticky-out bump on each hip, but no, they're just their normal overly-rounded selves ! Do you feel the lump on your bum with your hand or does it feel more internal? Thank goodness other people have been saying they've had it too, otherwise I'd be thinking I had body dysmorphia :heehee:

@BeBe ....yes 7 weeks....how time flies when you're enjoying yourself! Doesn't this one step forward 2 steps back begin to pall a bit.....feel we've done our bit for recovery and should be running round with the spring lambs now (well, over here anyway.....maybe it's sweeping up the autumn leaves over your way :)). Ah well, focus on the bigger picture..... told my surgeon at least if I end up with a knee as well I'll have got my money's worth from the insurance company :snork:

@Alitm .....glad your 6 week check went well.....I'm very jealous you had xrays to check the grafting is going well....with osteopenia I was a little worried about that but have to take it on trust....I'm sure I'd be having problems if it wasn't ok, but seeing hard proof is just so satisfying! Glad your left is shown to be clearly in need of the op......makes everything much more clearcut. Just over 2 weeks for you....take it easy now :SUNsmile:

19. Mojo333

I wish I could have had an X-ray to look at every week! Reaffirming all is well.
    Cabin fever starting to set in yet, Anny?
    I was so ready to get on with it until I attempted to get on with it then I wanted to get off of it!:umm:

Hope today is a Good Day!:friends:

20. Bevlah

Bevlah senior

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @anny yes it feels like there is a brick inside but nothing on the outside! Strange and horrible at the same time. The numbness of the incision depresses me as like you it goes down my leg past the scar