THR Freedom's anterior Lthr

Have you seen that meme going around on Facebook, "If I woke up one morning and nothing hurt, I'd think I was dead!" That's how I feel.

Left foot is swollen, hurts to walk. What heck have I done or got NOW? Was fine when I went to bed last night.
 
Update: for the past few days, the FOOT took priority, over the hip! Visiting Nurse came on Monday, and took measurements. In home PT came this morning, and again took measurements. Foot, ankle and calf significantly more swollen than on Monday. She said I need to do something (we discussed what) asap.

Long story short, was in to the surgeon's office this afternoon. Xrays show no broken bones or fractures. Per surgeon: "if you had done this 2 months ago, your body would have reacted very differently. Since you just had arthroplasty, all the normal pathways are messed up, and things are not flowing the way they normally do. Plus, you are elevating for the hip, which means the foot is down. So, you have swelling. Just grin and bear it, it is going to clear up, just more slowly than you expect. Do you want me to put an Ace bandage on it, that will help with the swelling?" Since I can't yet reach the foot, due to the hip surgery, I declined the bandage. I told him it would be on there for weeks until I could reach it; reminded him I live alone. He laughed at this.

SO, I get to deal with the foot/ankle/calf swelling along with the hip recovery. I know in a few weeks I will look back and laugh, shake my head. But for now, I am slightly overwhelmed.
 
Hi.
Try not to panic or worry too much.
These things really are quite normal early in recovery.
It's easy though to feel your being attacked from all sides.
Elevate.
Ice.
Take meds.
Ice.
Just walk a little.
Ice
And rest up.
Allow things to settle slowly. You'll get there.
Joe......
 
LTHR anterior Jun 12 (almost 4 weeks post op). Lying in bed this afternoon, rolled from my back to my right (non surgical) side. Wasn't thinking, did not have a pillow between my legs. Eventually top left leg rolled forward onto the mattress. OMG!!! I was able to adjust and roll on my back, didn't even need to use my hands. But WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT??? I didn't dislocate. I 'think' I just stretched muscles and other soft tissues. That was half an hour ago, all fine now; except the memory!
 
Please don't worry - if you had dislocated you would not be able to move. Just try and make a habit of having a pillow handy when you lie down. You are doing well for only 4 weeks out!
 
Thanks Jaycey. No worries, I may start carrying a pillow with me at all times after that little episode! I had THREE of them stacked up behind me! Just ready and waiting of use.
 
Hi @Freedom! Been following your recovery as I am right behind you on August 16th and cannot wait. I, also, live alone and have one cat (I cannot fathom how you are coping with them all; you are a saint!). It was encouraging to hear your surgeon tell you it's okay to bend at the waist to scoop and change litter. My three-legged cat was a rescue who acts as if she is royalty. She wants her litter box completely changed every three days and I am her dutiful servant.
Wondering if you went to the Baptist for surgery (I am). I'm in Wakefield, not far from you. My surgeon is sending me home the day after surgery. A visiting PT person is coming to my home Monday to help me logistically prepare the house for post-op. We are very lucky that we have such good health care in our state. Your recovery sounds like is has had its "bumps," but is chugging right along. Have a good rest of weekend.
 
@nonny Hi! Did not go to Baptist, stayed with the local hospital, Holy Family, right here in Methuen, just 2.2 miles from home. I have little to no support, so would have to take a cab to get there; and out again. I also found my PCP very reluctant to make referrals to any OS outside of the practice group. Bumping you out next day, wow! I know many of them are moving to that.

Most of my bumps this particular surgery seem to have been of my own creation! Can't believe I dropped that can of dog food RIGHT ON MY FOOT, lol.
 
@nonny very important re bending for the cat litter box - I had the anterior approach. Will you be having that? If you have posterior I know that the precautions are quite different!
 
Glad to hear the local hospital was a good experience. I believe I will be having anterior. I start a whole slew of pre-op appointments tomorrow and I'll get more information about my surgery. I think I'm going to go with whatever he recommends. Can you tell that I cannot wait? My quality of life is terrible now.
I hope you have the availability of enjoying the beautiful weather today. Sending only good thoughts for your recovery.
 
@Jaycey I have a question. Initially I had the aquacell bandage on the incision. At 2 weeks post op, saw the surgeon, he removed that and put on steri strips. He said any strips still remaining at the end of a week I could remove; those are all off now as well.

I took these pics, trying to stand up straight at the same time as I had my arm down to take the shot. But I think you can see that the top of the incision is not getting to dry out, due to my 'folds.' Is there anything I need to do to help the upper part heal? Thank you.

[Bonesmart.org] Freedom's anterior Lthr
 
No need to do anything - just let nature take its course. It will soon fade to a thin line.
 
Really? @Jaycey , but it is not dry, due to the folds and creases it is always moist. But if you are sure that won't matter, ok then. The top is definitely not as healed as the lower parts, not at this time.
 
Let's tag @Josephine for the expert's opinion. I'm not a medical person - just going by my own experience.
 
Great, thanks Jaycey. Josephine, I'm concerned that the top of the incision cite is staying moist, and thus it is not as far along in the healing process as the rest of the site. Wonder if I need to do anything. It is staying moist because of my 'folds' of fat. Photos a few posts above, not too good though as my arm had to come down with the camera so you can see the top, only the folds.

Edit, took 7 more pics, this is the only one which may show the top.

[Bonesmart.org] Freedom's anterior Lthr
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I can see why you are worried and having similar folds myself, can fully understand your concerns. I suggest you get a soft cloth, a man's handkerchief would be ideal and just pop it into the folds to keep it dry. You will probably want to change it every day but it's the only way I know of keeping it dry.
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom