Guest viewing is limited

THR Freedom's anterior Lthr

Um, guess I did not explain it well. I have had all these issues since the surgery. Not getting any worse, and there is improvement since I started building muscle.
 
Sounds like you are pretty committed to pushing through the pain and seeing if your exercises/weights will help you improve? Is there a point where you might check in with a different doctor or try something different?

I've done very well since my surgery, and as I mentioned earlier----I'm so happy to be pain free and mobile, that even if I were stuck this way forever, I'd be fine-----but I haven't pushed structured exercise classes yet, and don't know if I will. Lucky for me, the things I enjoy are walking, hiking, gardening, etc.:)

Given that you are 1 1/2 years out, and you and your doctors feel you need more, not less exercise, what other ideas do you have that might improve some of the basic things like stairs, chairs, etc. ???? Your whole body has had to do a lot of rewiring with 3 major surgeries affecting your core/mobility, hasn't it?!?! Good luck!
 
I have no idea what to do Debru4. I had hoped that, as I have 2 different surgeons, and as I talk w/ both about knees AND hip, that I had enough input. But they both say the same thing: " there is absolutely nothing wrong with the implants. These issues are all soft tissue related. I can have more PT if I want to go that route (no thanks). I should be well beyond ALL of this by now." And the knee man says if I am still having issues after all this time, then I did not do all the PT exercises at the right time. He is also clearly very worried that I may file a
lawsuit so now he documents EVERYTHING. He even takes notes when I meet with him (not seen him since March 2018) which he never did before.

When I was in the outpatient PT, after the hip (which was the last of the 3 ), she said I was definitely babying myself and not taking on the challenge. And no, I have never said that to either surgeon. I suppose she put that in a report which they both see.

My health insurance limits me to seeing providers within the same health group network, so I don't have many options re seeing another doc. The 2 I see are in 2 different practice groups and . . . those are the only 2 practice groups in my health network. Sure, I could see another surgeon within one of the groups. Not sure I see much point in that though.

And as I mentioned, in the support groups on FB, everyone is well past this stage, as my surgeons say I should have been by now.

So I just work on the soft tissue issues I guess; that means strength training. The bike is mainly considered a cardio exercise; yes, it involves moving the hip and knees, but it is cardio not strength training. If the soft tissue can't do its job yet, then it must need more practice, to build it up. I eat protein, slightly more than recommended for my age (only 2 to 4 ounces per day, but still, it is a bit more), since that is what muscles need to recover and improve.

I put off returning to my exercise routine for so long (much MUCH longer than either surgeon advised) and I gained 60 pounds during the time I was not working out. I was already morbidly obese, before any of the 3 surgeries, but this, this is ridiculous! That is the big reason I got back to the Y; I have GOT to get rid of this extra weight!
 
Oh, you are in such a tough spot. I really feel for you.:bawl:Each of us can only think of what we might do if faced with the same issue. I think in my case, I would try to reset and go back to the beginning, and just walk a lot.

Dealing with extra weight is so overwhelming---I imagine many of us have put on some weight and that makes us so frustrated. In your case, maybe increased walking, even if it was at your rec center would help with the weight. I know the extra weight just adds to the pain and mobility issues for all of us.

I wish you had some other options in terms of getting a 2nd opinion.

Have you used any topical lotions/sprays on your areas of pain? Or tried CBD oils (either topical or capsules)? Not THC psychotropics, but just the hemp based CBD?

Also,the Daily Om has several online classes that include Chair Yoga, Spinal Reset, and Overcoming Stiffness, that I have used, and liked. I couldn't do everything, but could modify and do a lot at different times. Just a few ideas that are different than what you currently are doing.

Maybe pick one or two new ideas out of the suggestions people have offered you, and try them for a couple weeks to see if anything helps, even a little?
 
Walk, walk, walk. The dogs would enjoy more walks; and I can add that at the YMCA too.

I've not tried any topicals. I was on massive amounts of anti inflammatories while I put off the replacement surgeries for 8 years; and I have side effects as a result which are permanent, so I am told (hearing loss is the biggie). So I am trying to avoid as many meds as possible. I do take a Tylenol now and then . . . maybe once a month. Like I said, really trying NOT to do that. Maybe I'd feel better if I DID take a light bit more.

Seeing the chiropractor REALLY helped alot. I wonder if there is something dealing with the soft tissue, some health ailment, that I am not aware of. The pains I have now . . . they are pains I THOUGHT were due to arthritis. But everyone (surgeons, support group folks, primary care doc) says I can't HAVE arthritis pain in a replaced joint.

Not that I WANT to have another ailment; I have plenty already. Inherited a slew of them from my Dad. But not knowing, at least not knowing from a medical person, what is causing my slow, slow, slow recovery, that is annoying and makes me start wondering. I could be way out in deep space, you know, the "go out to Jupiter and hang a left!" sort of thinking. But I just feel like I am 'diagnosing' this on my own, that there is no reason for any of this other than strength issues. If that IS all it is, I should be good eventually!
 
Maybe Josephine would have some thoughts about the possibility of this not being related to your replacement. You might tag her and see. Your last 2 posts offered some additional information that may have some clues. I think I'd be about ready to howl at the moon if I were you!
 
I think I'd be about ready to howl at the moon if I were you!

AND . . . don't think I've not considered doing just that! Except I am fairly certain my 4 dogs would join me, and then the neighbors would complain, and then I'd have yet ANOTHER problem on my hands! Ahahahaaa
 
Back
Top Bottom