TKR Forever hopeful - gimpy no more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is great news Sarah, lets hope you have now turned a corner and are back on track for a smooth recovery.
You certainly deserve it.
I am so pleased for you.
Hooray,
Hugs, Toothfairy x :yes!: :goodpost:
 
Hi Sarah, been watching your recovery with great interest, since I will be having my surgery soon. So sorry you had a rough time with tummy and BP, is it usually normal or high or low? Just curious, I tend to have a bit high, but also have history of fainting, so reading about your early days left me a bit lightheaded, in sympathy ... :angel:

Wishing you great recovery going forward and look forward to reading all about it!!
 
eastside85 Barb, I've always had a low blood pressure and I have had BP issues and fainting spells after several of my other surgeries as well. I had notified the nurses, PT, and doctors but I'm not sure they fully believed me because (all together now) 'I'm SO young!'. I have still had days here at home where I've felt very poor and am pretty sure it's BP related, so I just take it easy and stay sitting or laying down until it passes.

Regardless of age, each body processes the stress and strain of surgery and medicine differently - mine just doesn't seem to do so very gracefully. :heehee:

Good luck on your surgery, please know that even with a few bumps in the road it's really not been as bad as I feared. I won't say it's been fun per say, however, all of the advice and support on this site has been invaluable!
 
Hi Sarah, it makes me so mad when healthcare professionals don't listen to their patients. They seem to forget that the patients know their own bodies best and can also give a history of what has happened before.
I think you are doing brilliantly and have a very positive attitude.
Have a great day my friend, hope you are feeling better each day now,
hugs, Toothfairy x :egypdance: :yay:
 
Hi Sarah, Give yourself credit for being positive after such a huge life changing event in your life! :puppysmooze: It's not just the short-term incapacity & discomfort that we deal with, :groan: it's the hopeful expectation that very soon we shall be reaping the rewards for all our efforts!!! :puppysmooze: :happydance: :egypdance: :dancy: :spin: when are you getting your staples out? Or have you been glued? (apologies if I have asked this before, I'm a little fuzzy from lack of sleep this morning) :mcoffee:
 
Friends, after a very long and painful night I needed to read such kind and positive words. :thankyou: I must have tried to stay downstairs too long yesterday and I paid for it with a very uncomfortable knee, hip and lower back all night long. It's silly to think that just changing the chair you are sitting in could be the culprit, but I did notice I was so comfortable in one spot I wasn't often moving and adjusting so that when I did move to get up or move, I was more (all over) than I have been to date. :boohoo: Add to that, I had a friend visit and I didn't nap at all in the afternoon and I think it was just all too much.

As a result I slept very little, and the sleep I did get was riddled with nightmares before my youngest crawled in to bed with me at 3:00 am saying she wanted to be awake for the day. :yikes:

Don't fret, naps, ice and hopefully a hip massage are in my future for today! (And at least my stomach cooperated and allowed me to enjoy dinner last night!)

Only 29 minutes until my next dose of medicine (here's to hoping it brings relief!). :beg:
 
It sounds like you over did it yesterday :sorry: I hope you have a better night tonight take it easy with plenty of ice and elevate your knee. :cheers: :yes!:
 
Hi Sarah,
Glad you managed to enjoy your dinner last night. That is a hopeful sign.
Not good about your bad night and pain. I hope you can get comfortable and rested today.
A massage sounds like a lovely idea. Hope it happens and that it relaxes those tense muscles.
Nap and ice when you can,
Sending a hug,
Toothfairy x :console2: :flwrysmile: :bicycle2:
 
If it helps, it may not be you overdoing it that's the issue, I've had an achy hip for a few days, same side as the new knee? :what: I didn't mention it before as I felt that it was just a side effect of my knee settling in (plus I remember vividly the shock of impact going through my pelvis when Gort was being hammered home!!) :groan: your hip massage sounds sublime!!! Let me know if it helps.. On the bright side, your tummy seems to be settling down? All of these things are temporary, remember that. :puppysmooze: hope your dreams are sweet tonight and you wake rested & ache-free tomorrow morning!! :friends:
 
It's amazing what a little snooze can do to help you feel a little better and change your perspective slightly. I just dozed for 20 comfortable minutes and it was heavenly! I realized that if I elevate both legs, my hips and back are equally supported and I am not in so much discomfort. :tada:

Now that I've eaten a wonderful breakfast, had my meds, and given myself a bit of rest, I best get up and see how this knee of mine is feeling today.
 
Now in technicolor!!

[Bonesmart.org] Forever hopeful - gimpy no more!
 
Dear Sarah..such a colourful leg...it is just a visual to remind you and your family that Mum has been through one heck of an operation and is only just ...only just on the recovery ride. This journey is all about rediscovering what you need to do to keep your body happy and in particular your knee..and it sounds like you are doing that. :yes!:

Stairs are an added strain but in the long term they will be just another opportunity to exercise your knee and gain some strength in your quads. :dancy: However right now...just another thing to add to your tiredness.
I believe changing your daytime... nightime environment helps as long as you have a comfortable resting place downstairs and you use it regularly throughout the day for your 'power naps' :yawn:

I smile when you talk of your little one hopping into bed with you...this is the practice of our grandchilden when ever we go to visit and for the whatever the time is the 'right' time and usually they want just a little chat before they drift back off to sleep for a while...can be very tiring especially when by morning we have an extra two or three little bodies all snuggling in. Though I must say I wouldn't change it for the world...as I know it won't last much longer :sad:

Hope your day is a good one and you have managed to invent some wonderful story about your multi coloured leg. :egypdance: :spin:

hugs Gami :friends: :flwrysmile:
 
Sarah, I did notice that just elevating the one leg started to bother my hip and back sometimes so I also elevated both legs and that helped alot with that. Changing position alot also helped. Glad you got some rest!
 
Wow Sarah, those are impressive bruises. Mine had a similar distribution but were not nearly so dramatic.
I love the sexy socks, remarkably similar to mine, we must shop in the same place :heehee:
It is good to hear that you are getting more comfortable and managing to eat.
Things are improving for you now. I hope it continues.
Take life very gently for the next few days,
Hugs
Toothfairy x :egypdance: :SUNsmile:
 
Shhhhh, I'm almost afraid to say it aloud but I'm having a pretty good day today!!!! :happydance: I will certainly take it very easy tonight so as not to disturb the force. :heehee:

Thanks to all the advice, even when my earliest days were on the difficult side I didn't fret nor worry about getting behind or think I should do anything other than lay down, take my meds, and when possible keep my knee iced and elevated. :scary:

I realize that at only one week post-op I've only just begun, but I can say today was the first day I saw the faintest glimmer of feeling better!

My deepest thanks to all of you that have written your stories before me, provided support or offered sage advice. :thankyou:
 
Good Morning Sarah, and thank you for explaining, it's important for me to see reality, and your picture certainly makes it real! I am so glad you're starting to feel better, that helps so much, and that you can eat and sleep a bit better, even if it's cat naps.

Wishing you another day of good recovery~ keep up the good work!!

:console2:
 
Sarah, I'm so glad that you seem to have turned a corner & can see improvements. I'm impressed with your bruises!! Hope they don't hurt!! Ive got my surgical stockings off & in the wash this morning (a walk on the wild side!) I didn't want to shuffle up to the nurse tomorrow with them looking grey & tea stained!! :snork: :rotfl: I do notice minor improvements along the way, I can now lift my Gort leg onto the pouf without supporting it, couldn't do that yesterday! :dancy: are you finding little things that seem to betting slightly better? It's fascinating how the body repairs itself & what sensations we experience - both physical & emotional whilst all this is going on!! :skep: :scratch: enjoy your day!! Sending you a big hug & a prescription for chocolate - stat!! :puppysmooze: :friends:
 
Today has been an interesting day so far. I had a fairly decent night's sleep (except for the hours between 12-4:30) and awoke not feeling as great as yesterday, but not terrible either. I was a bit stiff and sore when weight bearing, but not to the point where I wasn't able to shower and get ready for the day.

My home PT came for my 3rd visit today (last one was last Friday) and boy oh boy did I work hard! :dancy: I am still having significant pain along the medial joint line - exactly where the majority of pain was pre-surgery. We were careful to avoid activities or stretches that caused that sharp pain, but found many other stretches and activities that were challenging but not painful. We worked for a little more than an hour - including my brief rest due to a dip in my blood pressure making me feel too dizzy,nauseous and shaky to feel safe standing.

I have not gained much in terms of ROM but my quads are now firing and I am able to walk a lot more naturally with less and less support from the walker! :egypdance:

After PT, I had a quick lunch, iced my knee and have been trying to nap but sleep is continuing to evade me. I am absolutely wiped out. :thud: I may have over done it a bit, because I haven't been able to get comfortable in the hours since she's left. It is so hard to judge that delicate balance between doing nothing and letting this knee turn to stiff lead and pushing the stretches so far that it fusses at me for the remainder of the day. I hope I can get the hang of it sooner than later.

My amazing MIL has taken my two darlings to the mall for lunch and a trip to the Build a Bear Factory where they can create their own stuffed animals. The girls are so excited - I can't wait to see what they come home with!

I am anxious to get a peek at my incision tomorrow when the waterproof bandage is finally removed. I hope that things look good enough to have the staples removed - things are starting to burn and pull a bit during certain movements.

The next thing on my list is to figure out what I am doing about my pain meds. My doctor has not asked me to wean off or change things, but can only write me small prescriptions to be picked up. The trouble is, the doctor's office is not an easy place to get to for my husband - especially in evening rush hour. I am hoping that I can soon begin to transition to a different meds that can be called into the pharmacy for me (although I will admit to being afraid to try something just to realize it's not enough).

Ok, in the time I've sat here, my knee has stiffened back up again, so I'm off to get it gently moving and hopefully find a different position for a while.
 
Hi Sarah, hmmm exciting isn't it!! I am eager to have a look at mine too! I saw it when my leg was being held aloft in theatre after the op (they lowered the curtain down early) & i watched them put the gooey waterproof thingy on (looked quite alien!!) :shocked: Also got a good butchers at it the next day as I'd had considerable 'wound ooze' & bled a lot, so it had to come off & a fresh one applied. Maybe too much info there!!sorry!! :groan: :sorry: I know the skin around mine is itching like crazy at the minute, which I reckon to be a good thing? :tada: it will be nice to see the healing that has been going on - will make us feel better I reckon too. I can't believe you're doing an hour of PT!!! Not a sufferer of low BP myself, but that would make me feel faint!!!! :yikes: :yikes: Mine will start next week - I think they like to give lessons after the 1st 2-3 weeks. All I'm doing at this time is stretching, a little leg lifting & flexing. Here's to a pleasant evening & exciting morning to you! Big hugs :puppysmooze:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom