Guest viewing is limited

TKR Foot numbness, tingling, zingers

No, my ankle and lower leg don’t appear to be swollen. I got my staples removed yesterday and saw the doc. He wants me to get a nerve block to calm the nerves from firing. But I feel apprehensive about getting the nerve block because he seems to think that the numbness in my my foot is caused by the nerve block they gave me right before surgery. I’m just so uncomfortable. My ankle aches, and then sometimes it moves up to my shin and/or calf. I didn’t have anything like this before.
My doctor gave me Lyrica for nerve pain....really helped. My foot would just start twitching. I couldn't sleep.
 
My experience with pain management doctors is that they should be able to prescribe something to help with your first visit. It's unfortunate that your surgeon hasn't helped with this, but some are like that. Sometimes a good GP can pick up the slack. With nerve pain, there are some medications to try first if you don't want to do a block. Ask about Lyrica, Cymbalta, or Gabapentin. These types of drugs will be preferable to opioid pain relievers. Good luck and let us know how things go.

One thing that may help is to place a heating pad at the base of your spine when you are lying in bed. There is a nerve bundle in that location that can sometimes be helped with the heat. I can't promise it will work, but it's worth a try until you can see the specialist.
 
You are blessed to have had such a good all-around doctor. From what we have learned here on Bonesmart is that they are few and far between.
 
@Jamie I have to say, I am truly at my wits end. Last night the pain was so bad I pounded my walker on the ground and at one point slammed it into my closet (luckily I live alone!). I truly wanted to just throw things! I have tried a heating pad on my back, and while it is comforting and relaxing, it does nothing for the foot pain. I’m hoping I can make it through one more night. Maybe I should have gone to an emergency room a week ago. I just feel so sleep deprived. I’m a bundle of frayed emotions.
 
Gosh, I’m so sorry to hear how bad this is getting for you. I don’t know if the ER would have helped or not. Sometimes they seem to only be really good at the ”usual” emergency problems. Something like pain management (that usually requires a specialist to be involved) doesn’t get the expected result. I’m sure at least part of the problem for you is your lack of good rest. This can really mess with our mental and physical health, as you are seeing. If there is anything that helps at all (even the use of prescription pain meds), do it for this last night to get you through it.
 
Yes, and if your doctor thinks insurance is an issue get the script or have him call it in anyway. My pain medicine was changed on the 3rd post op day. My pharmacist called and said with my insurance it would take 3-days to get approval, but he could use a discount app and get it at a lower price. My insurance would charge me $12.00 and with the app it was $7.40. You could try calling the on-call doctor and tell him/her how much pain you are in.
 
and it’s always good to know of another good surgeon
Members posting on here about their surgeons is how I have a couple of names for my probable future revision, though hopefully that revision is far in the future!
 
Figured I would start a new thread here since the other one was getting a bit long, and because this is a switch from all that old gobbledygook! I saw the pain doctor yesterday, and he put me on Gabapentin. He also wants me to get an MRI because he thinks that my recent bout with sciatica (August) could be involved. I don’t think so though. When I was at PT yesterday the therapist pressed on the places in my back and hip that would relate to nerves in the foot and I had no reaction. I really think this is all related to the surgery. Probably not nerve block since I’m four weeks out now, but maybe nerves got caught or cut? At any rate, I took the Gabapentin, was in bed by 9:30, and slept straight through till 2:30. I woke up needing to go to the bathroom and also had pain in my thigh. Took my Ibuprofen/Tylenol combo and slept till 5:30. By that point the Gabapentin was wearing off and I was beginning to feel pain again in my foot. But oh, what a relief to sleep! I'm so happy I’ve been crying off and on this morning. My instructions from the pain doc are to take the Gabapentin for a few nights and then take one in the morning if just the nighttime pill isn't working.
 
Happy tears! Yay! Its good you got some restorative rest last night. Lets hope for a repeat performance tonight.

Please notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. Having your recovery information contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. It is also helpful for those stopping by to be able to review your history before advising or commenting. Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.

Don't worry about your thread getting to long as you mentioned. It is a continuation of your story and I am sure many will read it with interest. Take Good Care and thanks for updating!
@Sherwooky
 
I’m also wondering, does anyone know if I would be better putting heat or ice on my foot?
 
@Sherwooky, it really depends on why you're being treated. Do you have a health portal where you can ask your pain doctor? Of course, you can call the office to get the same info.
 
I really think this is all related to the surgery. Probably not nerve block since I’m four weeks out now, but maybe nerves got caught or cut?
Nerves can take a year or more to regenerate/reattach after surgery. I had issues with nerve pain and for more than six months after my ankle surgery and still have areas in my foot that are numb.

FYI: You might find this chart helpful:
1652123217285.png
 
I'm glad you are getting meds that are helping with the nerve pain. As for your question about ice or heat for your foot, I don't know for sure, but sometimes alternating them can help with things like back pain. It might be worth a try.
 
Happy one-month an-Knee-versary, @Sherwooky ! :flwrysmile:

Hope you are feeling better and that the nerve pain is starting to improve.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom