TKR Foot numbness, tingling, zingers

I feel like I’m giving up on the medical community and becoming my own doctor! I reached out to my primary care provider and she too said that Gabapentin can take a while to work and that was it! I did get her to refill my Diclofenac (Voltarin) and she did do that. I might give this a try and see. I’m starting outside PT next week so maybe they too can give me ideas for relief.
 
I did get her to refill my Diclofenac (Voltarin) and she did do that. I might give this a try and see.

Please be very careful about self-medicating -- and especially mixing medications!

I see from your thread, that you are already taking ibuprofen, so you should not be adding another NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug) without specific dosing advice from a physician.

Ibuprofen and diclofenac are both NSAIDs and combining them can increase the risk of serious side effects in the gastrointestinal tract -- including bleeding, ulceration, and rarely, perforation. If you read the Voltaren label, you will see this warning.

So, if you decide to use the Voltaren, stop the ibuprofen. Tylenol (acetaminophen) does not interact with diclofenac, so you can continue to take that.

And please remember, you are still early days in this recovery. The pain you are experiencing now is normal and temporary. You don't want to create other health problems for yourself by over-medicating to address it.
 
@Sherwooky .... you've not mentioned how you are icing. Are you? If so, what is your schedule for applying ice to the areas that hurt?

I'm also wondering if you are doing too much in the way of activity and/or exercises or household chores. Please tell me what a normal day is like for you.
 
@Jamie I usually take an ice pack to bed at night. I have a gel one that seems to stay cool all night. I ice after exercise, usually I do my exercises around 10:30 or 11 in the morning, then at 2:30 in the afternoon. Ice for at least 30 minutes in each time. I also ice in the evening when I’m sitting around watching tv, although that’s also when I start to get restless and achy. Also for exercise I walk for about 15-20 minutes on the sidewalk in front of my condo. I usually do that and then do my morning exercises.

I don’t have many household chores that I’m doing. I am going down to my basement and switching my laundry, but no more than once a day. I don’t have many dishes because I have been using paper plates. In the morning when I get up I’m usually at the kitchen sink fixing my cats breakfast and my own, about 20 minutes.

In the afternoon I go upstairs to empty the kitty litter box and then make my bed and do my exercises. I have an adjustable bed so after my exercises I try to lay with my leg elevated for 15 minutes. Then downstairs to ice.
 
Wow! you are doing too much at 2 1/2 weeks. Going up and down stairs all day is way too much. My doctor had me keep the ice on practically 24/7 the first 3-weeks.
 
Yep....this is way too much for you right now and your body's is telling you that with the pain and restless legs you're experiencing. And not enough icing. Applying ice for 15-30 minutes doesn't really do anything for pain. You need to ice at least 45 minutes (more is better) and you can actually keep ice on your knee as much as you want as long as you use a kitchen towel to keep the cold away from your skin. Your gel pack may feel "cool" midway through the night, but it's not enough for TKR recovery. You need to swap out the gel pack at least once during the night. I had 4 that I used for both knees. I would use two at a time so I could ice all around the knee, and then would switch them midway through the night. You need to ice the back of your knee because swelling can occur there.

I recommend that you scale your activity and exercises way back for a couple of weeks and see how things go. Continue with your pain medication on a schedule and frequent icing during this period. You don't need a lot of fancy exercises right now for your knee to improve. Your goal is to get the inflammation and swelling down. Even if you don't see swelling, it is there. The knee capsule is very compact and it doesn't take much fluid to cause pain and reduced movement. I don't know what exercises you have been doing, but switch to just some gentle bends and stretches for about 5 minutes (working up to 10 minutes) every couple of hours. If you want to walk a bit, that's okay, but start with 10 minutes and make that one of your "movement" periods. If you have an exercise bike, you can also do rotations on it as one of your bend/stretch times, but only for 5 minutes. Keep this up for two weeks and see if things settle down a bit. Your knee is probably very inflamed and angry right now and it does take a while for that to calm down.

Stairs are quite taxing on a new knee, so you need to keep those trips at a minimum. How about making your bed and attending to the litter box when you first get up before going downstairs for breakfast? Then, when you get downstairs, lie down and put your knee up with ice for 45 minutes before getting up to do breakfast. The idea is just to do one short task or exercise every hour or two and then rest/ice/elevate for at least 45 minutes.

If you're not using a cane or walker, you need to be. Use whichever aid allows you to walk with no limp. Don't worry about trying to go down the steps normally. You can even go up and down sideways holding on to the rail so as not to stress your knee soft tissues.

Also watch how much time you spend sitting upright with your feet on the floor. That can really increase swelling as well because of gravity. Your "resting" periods should be lying down, with ice, and your leg elevated so that toes are above your nose.

If you will give this a try for at least two weeks, I believe you'll see some improvement in your pain levels. The next time you speak to your surgeon or your GP, you could ask for a prescription for Tramadol. It can be used very effectively with Tylenol for those times when you are having trouble sleeping at night or your pain levels are elevated. Tramadol is a "step down" pain prescription and not considered an opioid, so it's usually something most doctors will agree to if you are still in pain.
 
Yeah, I may be overdoing it. I live alone and have not wanted to be a burden. I do use my Walker, and a cane when I go up or down stairs. I will step up the icing. I will try things differently tomorrow and see how it goes.
 
I'm glad you're going to give this a try. It has worked for sooooo many people who have pain that doesn't seem to go away. It's easy to overdo things. Everyone does it at some point in recovery. We even have a special club designation that we lightheartedly use when we do too much. You may now be an official member of the ODIC (OverDid It Club).....:heehee:
 
I thought I would update y’all: I cut back on the walking and things did improve. Still having some very bothersome tingling in foot and nerve zingers. Had outside Physical Therapy for the first time yesterday. Things generally went well with that. Therapist did a lot of movement with my knee and while I was sore last evening, it was manageable. He also suggested I try desensitizing the nerves in my foot by rubbing various levels of cloth against the foot. I stuck with something silky last night and again, that seemed to work. He measured my bend in both knees - the right is at about 98, the left is at about 80. He is not overly concerned about this and thinks it just may be my body’s makeup. He said it doesn’t seem to hinder me from doing anything (it doesn’t) and thinks this may be all I will be able to achieve with my new replacement. On the flip side of all this - I called my surgeon Monday morning to seek out alternatives to the nerve block and still have not heard from him. Hope he’s on a really nice vacation because at this point I’m finding him to be an incredible jerk. I changed how I’m taking the ibuprofen/Tylenol. Taking two each together every six hours. I think that’s within the dosage limitations and is working better on the pain. Definitely ready for my next dose when the six hours rolls around though. Problem is I have developed diahrrea so I have a message in to my primary care provider. I am going to have to talk with PT tomorrow about being able to drive to my appointments starting next week ‘cuz I don’t think I’m going to be able to find anyone to take me. It’s only a few blocks from my place so I think it should be doable.
 
So happy you are doing well....minus the diarrhea! Did he put you on a heartburn medicine? I was on Omeprazole for a couple of weeks after knee surgery and that gave me loose stools. I found driving to be pretty easy once I was in the car because there is more room for your left leg to stretch out. I get a little stiff getting out and the cane helps. Since I wasn't taking the narcotic anymore, I didn't wait for the okay to drive. It would be more difficult if it was your right leg. As long as you can get in and out safely.
Can you send an email to your doctor or ask to speak to his PA? I can't even talk to a real person when I call my surgeon's office, so I email his PA. He gets right back to me.
 
@Sherwooky.....I'm so glad to hear you've had some improvement. The maximum daily dosages for your meds are:

Tylenol - 4,000mg
Ibuprofen - 3,200mg

Just be sure to stay within these amounts and watch for any stomach problems from the ibuprofen. The ibuprofen could be contributing to your diarrhea. Perhaps your GP could give you something to help protect your gastric system while you're taking it.

Just remember you are very, very early in this recovery. It takes time. I don't agree at all with your therapist that this may be all the flexion you achieve. There is plenty of time for improvement as long as you listen to your body and don't keep pushing exercise or activity when you have pain or swelling. Nature created the pain mechanism to tell you when you need to slow things down. It's up to us to pay attention and react accordingly. I'd say those measurements are just fine since you are only weeks out from your TKR. It is fine for a therapist to gently massage your knee as long as there is no pain. I would strongly advise against having anyone manually bend your knee to supposedly achieve more ROM. That is usually counterproductive and you can tell the person that you prefer to do the bending on your own. Bending till there is just slight discomfort and holding to a count of 5 works just fine.
 
I had a really good night last night. Tonight, everything is firing, it’s painful having the sheet or blanket touch my foot and I can’t sleep because everything is just alive and angry. I see a pain specialist Monday. Does anyone know how this will work? Is he just going to evaluate me and then will I have to make another appointment? Or will he give me some relief? I truly feel like I’m losing my mind!
Oh, and a funny for everyone, at least I’m trying to laugh about it. When I talked to my doctor, he said I should call the anesthesiologist at the hospital that administered my anesthesia and ask her what I should did. I hope I’ll be able to laugh about this later on but right now I just feel so frustrated!
 
@Sherwooky I’m afraid no one here can tell you what the pain doctor will do. What did they say when you made the appointment?

Marie
 
They didn't really say anything, other than setting up the appointment. I’m praying for something to be done.
 
You are a little past 3-weeks postop. Why do you need a pain doctor? Your OS should be able to give you the pain medicine you need at this stage. My husband had to go to a pain doctor, but it was for a chronic problem not one related to recent surgery. You should receive a copy of your operative report. I just read mine again and I received 2- antibiotics. One by IV and one inserted into the incision. What is the anesthesiologist supposed to let you know?! I agree with you!
 
I don’t know what to say exactly. My surgeon said he would take good care of me, not to worry. But that care, with the exception of wound observation and care, seems to end at the surgery door. For as many times as I have called, he will not prescribe anything. Part of the problem appears to be my insurance, although he could fill out a prior authorization and they would likely approve it. But instead his latest was that I should call the anesthesiologist. The only other thing he was willing to do was write a prescription for a nerve block that would be administered by a pain specialist, which from what I’ve seen are all anesthesiologists. I haven’t wanted a nerve block so I held off calling. But the nerve pain I’m having in my foot is excruciating. I’m not sleeping at night because just the mere touch of the sheet on my foot sends me to the ceiling. I’ve tried wearing a sock in bed, doing desensitization pets with various types of fabric, but at night the pain is horrible. So, I’m desperate. I don’t think I’m overdoing it. I’m being very careful. I have very little pain or discomfort in my knee, and my movement feels very natural actually. I was sitting here wondering - if I had success with the plastic wrap for my aching leg, I wonder if wrapping my foot would do something. Really, really desperate here.
 
I'm sorry this is happening to you. Do you have feeling/pain in your foot while walking? or is it just at night time that it bothers you most? My doctor wouldn't give me anything for the nerve pain because I was still on a narcotic. My leg and foot seem to jump more at night with the zingers, and I couldn't get comfortable even with the narcotic. I didn't tuck any sheets or blankets in. Someone recommended putting a pillow at the end of the bed and that helped. When the swelling went down in my knee and leg it did seem to get better. Hope you find some relief soon.
 
Usually I have been better during the day, but the last couple of days the nerve pain has been bad during the day too. A friend suggested wearing my shoe to bed. I don’t know if I’m going to do that or not, but I will say the foot feels better With the shoe on. I am thinking I will try to wear wear my compression sock to bed and see what happens. But yes, things are usually worse at night than during the day. Two more nights to get through before I see the pain doc. I’m really hoping I come home with something that will calm the nerves so I can sleep.
 
with the exception of wound observation and care, seems to end at the surgery door.
Unfortunately, this is true for most OSs. They are great at surgery, but not with aftercare.
For as many times as I have called, he will not prescribe anything.
Contact your GP for pain meds. Most of us have had to do that. My OS wouldn't even prescribe my anti-inflammatories. I had to go to my primary care doctor for those.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom