TKR Flutter1’s BoneSmart Success

@Flutter1 I noticed from your signature you have one partial and your new total. I have to partials, that are doing great at the moment. Since you have one of each, what are the differences you notice? Thanks in advance!
 
@Flutter1 Thank you for posting. I followed for a long time and lost you. It helps to read your progress.
I am 5 weeks behind and wishing I was recovered to your point.
Please keep posting your progress, it really helps to know there is a light at the end of the Tunnel.
 
Thanks for posting and inspiring us all!
I also had a partial and a total which I am recovering from now .
You are doing great! I wasn’t on Bonesmart for my PKR but I posted a lot of updates on FB and have been able to compare the two surgeries. I recovered quicker on the partial as far as getting back to normal activities around 3 mon. I remember still struggling with pain up to 8 months and feeling like something was wrong. Went in for a visit with my doc and all was well. That knee remains with stiffness but not painful and I have an area of numbness that never went away but it doesn’t bother me. One difference was that on the partial I had a terrible time gaining flexion and feared a MUA but never had to have it. I ended up with flexion of 114 when they discharged me. Had I been on bone-smart, I wouldn’t have been so obsessed about flexion numbers. In this TKA, I got flexion pretty quick. I was at 90 degrees going home from surgery this time. it is taking me longer this time to get back to daily activities and having endurance to be on my feet for very long at a time. I am sure the 5 yr time span between them also plays a role in my recovery.
I lost 55 lb in 2019 and I am sure that had to help some in this recovery!
I finally gave myself some grace and realized that this indeed is a long and gradual recovery!
 
This is a great post and so uplifting to read. And I agree with @Sks1997 that I need to give myself some grace as it is a long and gradual recovery. I did say to hubby this morning as we looked out at the dreary morning whilst having a cup of tea in bed " I wonder if by the spring I might want to jump out of bed for my breakfast" and bless him he said "maybe but either way its no problem bringing you breakfast" I am learning that pacing myself and not doing too much is not lazy its giving my leg time to heal and so far it appear to be working thanks to the excellent advice on this site.
 
Hi everyone! I promised a one-year update on my TKR from May 2021. Other than having a mild Omicron BA.2 infection, I have been doing very well. I am hiking, gardening, strength training (at home with a really cool adjustable weight set), and engaging in so many other simple everyday tasks with ease. Basically, I am pain free. I can't believe how much time I spent worrying about ROM at the beginning! I still can't RUN down steps, but does it really matter? I do believe that I am as or even more active than most of the 65-year olds I know.

Adhering to the BoneSmart guidelines was the major reason for an easier recovery this time around. My recovery from a partial in my other knee 5 years ago was made so much worse by an overzealous PT. I wasn't making that mistake again -- so for my 2021 full replacement, I had 3-4 weeks of gentle in-home PT and refused outside PT services. As long as you are consistent with your at-home exercises, you should progress without as much pain and fewer setbacks.
I just wanted to say "hi" to familiar friends and provide encouragement to newbies. See you in another year!
 
Great report @Flutter1! Joint replacement is life changing for sure. Looking forward to next years report. :walking:
 
What a wonderful update. You are proof that the BS way works and that a normal life can be had again!
 
Thanks @Flutter1 for your report. It's always good to read about how things are a year post-TKR ... sort of a "carrot on a stick" for us struggling through recovery/rehab.

All the best!
 
Hi everyone! It has been so long since I have been on this forum that I am not sure I remember how to post so I apologize if this is in the wrong place. It has been about 19 months since my total knee replacement. I don't even think about it now. I am very active (I think) for a 65 year old and do most of the things I did when I was younger... just more slowly. The only thing I would like to do that I am still wary of is to horseback-ride again. Maybe one day soon. In the past year, I have adopted a whole foods, plant-based lifestyle. It was a challenge at first, but the benefits are amazing. We need to take care of our bodies!
The best thing about my knee replacement(s) is being able to undertake simple, daily activities without pain.
 
It is so good to hear you are doing well! What an inspiration to those who are just starting this journey.
 
Hi everyone! Here is an update 2.5 years after my second knee replacement (I have them in both knees). I turned 66 this year. I literally have no pain in either knee -- just a bit of temporary stiffness infrequently in the partial if I sit for several hours in the same position. Otherwise, I am having a wonderful time thanks to my replacements. I workout with weights and hike up to 5 miles. My husband an I still enjoy badminton and I usually win! I can stand for long periods, which was impossible prior to the replacements. I think the key is to strengthen yourself prior to surgery and gradually build yourself afterwards. I honestly can say that I never think about my knees. I feel so lucky! Wishing everyone a happy holiday season.
 
What a wonderful update, @Flutter1! I'm sure it will give hope and inspiration to members who are struggling through the early weeks of recovery right now.

Thank you so much for stopping in to share this. Here's to a wonderful 2024!

:happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4:
 
Thanks for stopping by to share such an inspirational update, Flutter!
It sounds like you're living a very active fulfilling life. Great news for those following behind!
Happy Holidays and many blessings to you in 2024!
@Flutter1
 
What a great additional update, and this is the best that we can hope for, isn't it?
I love that you mentioned winning in badminton. :heehee:

Thank you so very much for returning to post and giving many new members hope.
 
What an uplifting post for those just starting this long journey.
 
Back
Top Bottom