Guest viewing is limited

TKR Five Months Later

@JG464 I use my walker in the shower too. I don’t feel safe otherwise. I’m not taking any chances. Congratulations on the stairs! That’s a big step to freedom.
 
When we bought our house 7 yrs ago- I told my husband all I require is a backyard and NO STAIRS-
 
So where is springtime???!!!! I am now 15 days post op and have my ortho visit tomorrow at 330. Hooray-except that they are predicting over a foot of snow here starting early tomorrow!!! This has been one crazy March! We have had four storms in four weeks! I assume appointment will be rescheduled-understood- but have just notified them that I will be out of pain meds by Friday. Last week I needed to justify refill and am sure will have to again now-I am in pain!!!!! On good note have been up and down the stairs again with less trepidation and also started working with cane which feels awesome but a bit unsteady. Still swollen and have pain but take leg feeling sturdier every day. Continue to try and focus on bright side.
 
Doing stairs already? Wow! You are so early to be able to do that! Don't push too hard or your knee will rebel and you'll be sorry!
 
I had to do stairs from day one due to configuration of house. You do what you have to do. One thing about it, doing stairs sure teaches you to trust your knees. They are stronger than we think they will be. Just be careful. Don't be like me. I got too cocky and ended up losing balance and falling at day 14.

Sounds like you are doing great. I know what you mean about spring. I'm in RI and can't believe we are getting another storm coming in. This is just getting to be too much.
 
Lucky to have bathroom on first floor not far from my nesting recliner. However, shower and bed are upstairs. A shower after 12 days was heaven for both me and those around me !!! Will attempt another one in a day or two. My worst fear was/is falling.
 
I too have to use stairs to let the dog out, so have been doing them from day one. However my operated knee stays straight and my other knee does all the work. I let my TKR try some stairs at five weeks and she did fine, but someone advised me to wait until three months to make a habit of it, so I have.
 
My worst fear was/is falling.

Me too! I used a shower chair for the first month or so, then had hubby get a bathmat. And there is a small bar I can hang onto in there. I take a hot shower every night now and stretch my back, hips, and knees out before bed. It feels so good and sends me right off to dreamland.
 
@SherrieT - I read your thread from start to finish and admire your strength-I am so happy there are no lasting effects from your fall
 
As predicted we are now having our 4th Nor’easter this month!!! After looking out window I rescheduled my ortho visit until next Wednesday-if it snows again then I give up!!!! PA gave me one more week of pain meds to last til I see them and said that’s it-i hope I can further wean myself off without too much discomfort. Home pt was extended another week (she even made it here today in snow)which is great as she has been the best-can climb stairs now with confidence and am becoming a little more comfortable with cane. Swelling at bottom of thigh/top of calf near crease continues to be an intrusion on bending (not a dvt for sure) but pt says I am doing fine. Snuggling in my nest for rest of this snowy day!
 
Snuggling in my nest for rest of this snowy day!
Best place to be today!

I’m in Delaware near the bay coast and we are only getting a fraction of what the Weather Channel predicted. Lovely snowflakes falling, sticking prettily to the trees but not our street. The Perfect Snow, in my opinion!
 
Ours fell heavy this morning, but is gone now. Yay, the best kind of snow!
 
It’s starting to stick to our street now, it looks more icy than snowy.
 
Here too - the ominous forecast was way off although it is beginning to snow again after a few hours break.
 
You ladies be very careful if you have to get out in it. You don't want to fall on those new knees!
 
I’ve been in all day!!!
 
I am 19 days post surgery and have been told that I should no longer need pain meds. I am in pain !! I understand the crisis but feel that those suffering from post surgical pain are being unjustly denied relief.
 
Hi @JG464

I've moved your post, above, from jboles' thread, so we can talk about it without derailing her thread.

Who has told you that you should no longer need pain medications? Of course you do! You've been through a major surgery and you have a valid reason for needing pain relief medications.
Some people still need pain medication 3 months after a knee replacement.

If your surgeon can no longer supply medications, will your own doctor help? Some PCPs are willing to prescribe Tramadol, which is a useful "step-down" drug from the heavy-duty narcotics. You can combine it with Tylenol as well, to give pretty good pain relief.
 
Back
Top Bottom