First knee replacement June 27th!

congoround

Country
United States United States
Hi everyone! I’m 50 and having my first total knee replacement (left knee) on June 27th and I can’t wait. I had my left knee scoped when I was 31 and and my right knee scoped at 40. Both are bad (I use a walker now). I’ve gone through many cortisone injections, rehab, and synthroid injections over the years and my time to finally have my first knee done has come! As much as I’m excited, I’m also nervous. I worry that it won’t be as fabulous as my thoughts and ideas have made it out to be. Well I’ll soon find out I guess. Squee!

Hello @congoround - and :welome:

Have you joined the June Sunbeams monthly group yet?
Just post your surgery date in the
2018 June Sunbeams - Are you having knee surgery in June?
thread at the top of the Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area page and you'll be added to the list.
It's a good idea to get to know your fellow BoneSmarties who will be getting new joints this month. We've found that it helps to have a group of folks who are going through surgery and do it as a team....helping and supporting each other.

Here are some articles to help you prepare for your surgery:
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

I know what you mean about nervous. I was very. And I remember vividly being elated waking up in recovery, that it was done and over, after all my worrying, and that I did wake up. Of course the healing journey after that wasn't easy but know that it's doable. The advice in this forum is reliable; follow it! Take your pain meds on a schedule; be sure to ice and elevate; if you decide to do PT, take it easy. I wish you optimal outcome!

Welcome! I'm having my first right TKR on the 21st so I'll check in and tell you everything. I'm going to have both knees done eventually and don't know how long I'll have to wait for left knee #2. I have late stage arthritis in both knees, "bone on bone" as they put it. I'm just getting started with bonesmart but I like everything I read here and will get good support through what I know is going to be a long and not always (ever?) easy.

As much as I’m excited, I’m also nervous. I worry that it won’t be as fabulous as my thoughts and ideas have made it out to be.

Hi @congoround and welcome! I did the same as you going through years of cortisone shots, PT, and Synvisc injections. No scoping, though. It was a huge decision to have this surgery. No matter how often I would hear from people, including immediate family, that they were glad they'd done it, it still scared me. What if my surgery wasn't as great as theirs? :bawl:

I found Bonesmart while looking for answers to my many questions (so many questions) and found such great support. This is a good place to get those concerns out and talk with people who have been in your shoes.

As for my surgery... it turned out to be all I'd hoped. I had a pretty easy recovery and am thrilled with my new knees. :)

Good luck to you all and hopefully, you will all have as good an outcome as I finally had. Gave me back a quality of life that I was losing very rapidly.
Remember to ease into rehab at a moderate pace and get off the oxycodone ASAP. Tylenol and Aleve are Much better.

Remember to ease into rehab at a moderate pace and get off the oxycodone ASAP. Tylenol and Aleve are Much better.
Don't come off the Oxycodone too early.

I wouldn't recommend Aleve at all. It is an NSAID and they can cause severe gastric bleeding, as well as this:
NSAIDs Diclofenac. ibuprofen increase risk of heart problems: new study

Never take Aleve or similar NSAIDs on an empty stomach, and stop taking them immediately if you get any gastric symptoms, such as pain, nausea, or indigestion.

Thanks all for your well wishes! The closer my date gets the more excited I am getting. I really love this site and am reading as much as I can for much needed advice. :)

You will enjoy the new life of walking pain free. During the recovery period, ice , elevate,and pain control. Don’t compare yourself to others, this it your journey and recovery.

Hi everyone! I’m 50 and having my first total knee replacement (left knee) on June 27th and I can’t wait. I had my left knee scoped when I was 31 and and my right knee scoped at 40. Both are bad (I use a walker now). I’ve gone through many cortisone injections, rehab, and synthroid injections over the years and my time to finally have my first knee done has come! As much as I’m excited, I’m also nervous. I worry that it won’t be as fabulous as my thoughts and ideas have made it out to be. Well I’ll soon find out I guess. Squee!

Hi Conground-
Your story sounds similar to mine! I’ve had RA since 2013 and trouble with my left knee since 2011. I’ve never had any scopes or shots on my knee! I’m also walking with a walker!(my knee has gotten very weak) I’m having my first Ltkr on June 21,2018! I’m scared and excited at the same time! Best wishes to you on your knee replacement!

Hi @Jarme :welome: why don't you also start your own thread so we can get to know you better. Once the knee heals a bit you'll be saying goodbye to that walker!

Hi @congoround,

Welcome to Bonesmart. I also had hoped injections like Synvisc would help me. It would only last a while and then I’d be considering a TKR again. I fell down a stair in 2014 missing a step and that left me with bone on bone in the right knee. I worked for 3 months strengthening the knee prior to the TKR. My left knee was fine until one day I was jumping rope in an exercise group and sudden pain told me things were not good. That brought me to my left TKR. I am thankful I’ve had both done. Recovery from the first was harder.

I came to Bonesmart while trying to find out information on therapy and pain. The advice here is most helpful, especially regarding rest and just doing daily activities over a lot of intense PT work.

Be sure to read the articles here and be kind to yourself. Best wishes to you as you prepare for your TKR!

Hi Conground-
Your story sounds similar to mine! I’ve had RA since 2013 and trouble with my left knee since 2011. I’ve never had any scopes or shots on my knee! I’m also walking with a walker!(my knee has gotten very weak) I’m having my first Ltkr on June 21,2018! I’m scared and excited at the same time! Best wishes to you on your knee replacement!

Best wishes to you too!!

Hi @congoround,

Welcome to Bonesmart. I also had hoped injections like Synvisc would help me. It would only last a while and then I’d be considering a TKR again. I fell down a stair in 2014 missing a step and that left me with bone on bone in the right knee. I worked for 3 months strengthening the knee prior to the TKR. My left knee was fine until one day I was jumping rope in an exercise group and sudden pain told me things were not good. That brought me to my left TKR. I am thankful I’ve had both done. Recovery from the first was harder.

I came to Bonesmart while trying to find out information on therapy and pain. The advice here is most helpful, especially regarding rest and just doing daily activities over a lot of intense PT work.

Be sure to read the articles here and be kind to yourself. Best wishes to you as you prepare for your TKR!

Thank you! I’m finding this site most helpful in preparation for surgery.

Hi @congoround,
I feel a kindred spirit as I am from CT as well ;). I had a right TKR eight months ago.
Since all the info on this site is awesome and I want to spare you redundancy, I will add the following from my post-op experience:

1. Ice was my best friend. Speaking only for myself, the pain medication (Oxycodone 5mg Immediate release) was not that helpful. I kept a couple 10lb bags of ice in the freezer for the first four weeks post op.

2. If you haven't already, I would find out which in-home Physical Therapy service you will use. IMHO, what happens post operation is as important as the operation itself. I would ask your orthopedist his post-op PT preference and make sure the service accomodates it. I say this as my orthopedist was adamant the PT focus primarily on range of motion rather than increasing walking distance. It took me two days post-op to find the PT service able to accommodate my physician's requirements. I mention this not to advocate one therapy method over the other, but only in hopes you don't lose therapy time.

This said, good luck and feel better.

Every OS has difference preferences. I got my outpatient physical therapy in my mail prescription pre operatively. The order read” PT evaluate and treat “ I picked my outpt facility, and was ready to go when appropriate. The initial PT visits were from home health for 2 weeks. Picking a PT is very personal, finding the right combination of your needs and do they listen.
Good luck !

Hi @congoround,
I feel a kindred spirit as I am from CT as well ;). I had a right TKR eight months ago.
Since all the info on this site is awesome and I want to spare you redundancy, I will add the following from my post-op experience:

1. Ice was my best friend. Speaking only for myself, the pain medication (Oxycodone 5mg Immediate release) was not that helpful. I kept a couple 10lb bags of ice in the freezer for the first four weeks post op.

2. If you haven't already, I would find out which in-home Physical Therapy service you will use. IMHO, what happens post operation is as important as the operation itself. I would ask your orthopedist his post-op PT preference and make sure the service accomodates it. I say this as my orthopedist was adamant the PT focus primarily on range of motion rather than increasing walking distance. It took me two days post-op to find the PT service able to accommodate my physician's requirements. I mention this not to advocate one therapy method over the other, but only in hopes you don't lose therapy time.

This said, good luck and feel better.

Hi jnewman63!

Thanks for your advice. I have several ice packs as well as an ice machine. Bags of ice is a good idea! I’ll put that on my preop shopping list. Easier than making tons of ice with trays!

Ice machine? If Berg polar, freeze 8 16 oz water bottle in your freezer. Use 4 at a time in the ice machine. Save time , money and running to the store for ice! Ice packs are excellent for under the knee.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• CricketHip
    Staff member since June 5, 2019
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads