2018 June Sunbeams - Are you having knee surgery in June?

bottomshollow

Former BoneSmart staff member
Country
United States United States
sun-jpg.30922

If you're having surgery in the month of June, I hope you'll join our June Sunbeams for a bright start to your life with your new joint!

Your fellow Sunbeams will help you along the way with warm hugs and lots of support!

We have found that surgery and recovery is easier if you have a group of folks who are going through similar experiences.

So post and tell us your surgery date and get ready to meet your fellow June Sunbeams!

Welcome to our latest and all June Sunbeams!

sunbeams-2-jpg.30926

Feel free post your surgery date in this thread, and I will add you to the list. Start a thread of your own in the Pre-Op Knee Section to post comments and share your journey toward knee replacement. Here's the link that gives you the instructions you need to do this: Starting a new thread and posting

04 June 2018 collielady (her first
11 June 2018 Lexilou
12 June 2018 Sassy-nak
13 June 2018 collielady (her second)
16 June 2018 HappyCatTX (her second)
28 June 2018 perugia

Hello, first post here. I'm a 45-year-old female having TKR on my left knee in June. I might be foolish, but I am actually looking forward to it. After tearing my ACL at age 16 and three surgeries (two reconstructions, a meniscus transplant, and a repair of the cadaver meniscus), I have had arthritis since my twenties and have not had full function of my knee for the majority of my life. I can't wait to possibly jog again! Looking forward to reading all of your posts and stories...

@sputnik and @MadamMinna, I cannot add either of you to the June surgery list until you both have a specific date. As soon as you know your date, just drop in with your date and request to go on the list.

Hello,

I'm having TNR on my left knee June 12th. I need both done. I've never had any major surgery of any kind and needless to say, I'm terrified. I feel like I'm too young for this and am scared that it will speed up the aging process of my body (no factual basis to go on just my own paranoia). I go back and forth every day on whether this is the right thing to do but then I have such a bad day with pain that I need to remind myself that it's the ONLY thing that will help. I'm already taking percocet and the arthritic drug meloxicam which don't seem to help much at all. I also had cortisone shots in both knees 5 weeks ago and the only thing they helped with was the stiffness but that has completely worn off.

I'm trying to educate myself on everything that needs to get done before the surgery and there's a lot! I'll have my husband to look after me for a week or so after surgery but then he'll have to return to work. I also work and have timed the surgery during the absolute best time for me to be away. I'll need to return mid-August as the university students will be returning and I need to be back.

I just found this site today and already have gleaned so much helpful information. I'm looking forward to learning more and especially to connecting with others for support and encouragement. Let's do this!

Bonnie

june 1.jpg
@Sassy-nak, you have been officially added to the June surgery list! You are now officially a June Sunbeam!

Welcome to the BoneSmart forum. We’re so pleased that you have joined us here. If you have not started a thread of your own, please do so. Here's a link to tell you how:Starting a new thread and posting With your own thread, you and your questions and concerns will receive the attention they deserve.

For additional help, look in the white heading under the blue, click on Help & Info, then click on How to Use This Forum. Lots of info there to help you navigate the forum.

We are here to help in any way we can because We Care!

Having RTKR June 11th. Terrified does not even begin to cover it. I was originally scheduled in November and chicken out and cancelled the surgery. Hope I can get through this.

Having RTKR June 11th. Terrified does not even begin to cover it. I was originally scheduled in November and chicken out and cancelled the surgery. Hope I can get through this.
totally understand your fear but you have to have a positive mindset and have a goal for after and work towards it. Good luck

june 2.jpg
@LexiLou, you have been officially added to the June surgery list! You are now officially a June Sunbeam!

Welcome to the BoneSmart forum. We’re so pleased that you have joined us here. If you have not started a thread of your own, please do so. Here's a link to tell you how:Starting a new thread and posting With your own thread, you and your questions and concerns will receive the attention they deserve.

For additional help, look in the white heading under the blue, click on Help & Info, then click on How to Use This Forum. Lots of info there to help you navigate the forum.

Lexilou - I'm with you on being frightened. I'm trying to keep a positive mindset. One thing that I'm really having a hard time with is "do I absolutely need this surgery"?. My PT is inclined to encourage me to not have the surgery. He says that by working on strengthening the surrounding muscles, I can train my brain to make those muscles do the work and ease the pain I'm currently experiencing. Obviously, the cartilage isn't going to grow back so should I do the surgery now while I'm young (57) or tough it out a few more years? The easy and most comforting solution for me is to wait so I don't have to go through the trauma of the surgery. But, the pain I'm in, and have been in, is really excruciating. I don't have a lot of time to decide.

Lexilou, how soon before your scheduled surgery in November did you cancel?

I am 61 years old, (a fact I normally never reveal,) and am having a total knee replacement on my left knee on 28 June in the UK. I’m having my pre assessment at the hospital next week. I’ve been putting this off for a while but as I was made redundant from my job last Autumn, I feel this is the time.

I am having my second TKR in June 16 in Dallas, TX. The first one was on March 5, 2018. Recovery has been great, lots of good advice from BoneSmart. Totally agree with their suggestions, prepare to rest, ice, elevate, and take your meds. Specially the elevate.

june 8.jpg
@perugia, you have been officially added to the June surgery list! You are now officially a June Sunbeam!

june 12.jpg
@HappyCatTX, you have been officially added to the June surgery list! You are now officially a June Sunbeam!

Hi everyone. I am scheduled for right TNR on June 4th and left on June 13th. I think I would have preferred getting them both done at the same time, but both surgeons I met with said they do not do this. I did start pre-hab exercises but need to get more serious about doing them as surgery is getting closer. I will have my sister to help me with first surgery and niece with second. Last year I had bilateral mastectomy and did very well with that. So I'm hoping to do as well with this. But I do know it is a totally different type of surgery this time. My surgeon said I will have a general anesthesia but I want to discuss spinal with him when I see his PA next week. Looking forward to sharing this experience with everyone and learning. There is SO much to learn here.
Faith

june 53.jpg
@collielady, you have been officially added to the June surgery list! You are now officially a June Sunbeam twice over!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back