Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection Finally Finishing Up

Hello all!
Giving you a heads up...this is going to be a long post.

First off I am all cleared and don't have to see my Mayo OS for a year :)

I also had an appoint with Podiatry today at the VA. Had to have my orthotics adjusted on my left foot to help keep it from rolling out. Now this is in the same area as Ortho and my original surgeons. I always stop to say hello to my ID who has been following me through the whole process. She gave me her cell # with instructions to let her know whenever I am in the building. She goes as far as meeting me at my husband's appointments to say Hi and check up on me..lol. She let my original surgeon know that I was there.

I am back with the Podiatrist and he has me walking up and down the hallway to see how the foot rolls. Next thing I see is a bunch of my OS's and nurses in the same hallway cheering me on a bit. After a bunch of hugs I go back into to Podiatrist's office and my head OS follows. The doctor that I am seeing is a little confused at what all the fuss was about. My OS sat down and told him everything that had happened in the last two years then he looks at me and tells me how proud of me he is. My leg had been so damaged that they really didn't think that I would be able to walk on it again, much less without assistance.

I was the topic of many meetings and they always had updates and pictures. He went on to tell me that it was all me, that I never gave up. I was one of the toughest people he knew and he was talking to me "Vet to Vet" (there are some out there who appreciate this sentiment) not only as a doctor. No matter what happened I would always tell them that it was "fixable". Seriously...I couldn't look at it any other way.

They got me in with Dr B at Mayo ...it was my last chance. Even Dr B told me that this was the last option, it had to work. He went on about my outlook and positive attitude throughout it all....(he didn't see my breakdown and crying in the hospital after surgery #4...my poor medical attending didn't know what to do..lol). After big hugs he left us to my appointment.

Orthotics are fixed and that Dr told me if I needed any more adjustments to just come in. So with my heart up in my throat I got into my car and just bawled my eyes out. I had refused to believe that my leg was that BAD throughout the process and to actually hear him talk about the reality of it...I was scared now..such a relief...Oh ****...for reals????

With all that said I wanted to thank you all for being there. The reassurance, prayers, healing vibes and good thoughts were part of my healing, positive attitude and well being. No one can ever do it alone and you make sure that no one is (whether they listen or not lol).
 
What a day you had! I've said it all along, Peg, you are a trooper like none other! I'm so glad your docs recognize that and communicated it to you. :yes!:
 
Great story....positive mental attitude can assist the body in healing.

I was told I would be lucky to walk without a cane & golf was very unlikely. Played golf 6 months later without a cane. Never accepted the "permanent partial disability".

Look at all the vets that overcome losing limbs and carry on with life. A lot to be learned from them. At times makes me feel guilty for complaining about my little knee problem.

Peg your perseverance has been an inspiration.
 
God bless you, Peg. You put so many of us to shame, especially me for my petty complaining. You are being used as a tremendous inspiration to us all!
 
What an inspiring VA experience! I've had adequate and, in at least one case, excellent care from the VA, but nothing as heart-warming as this. Not to ignore your perservence through a scary, challenging situation with an uncertain outcome. I'm confident your attitude throughout made all the difference to you being in a great place with your recovery.
 
Hello everyone! Just wanted to give a quick update. Everything is still going well :) We took another trip, when it was 120+ here in Phoenix we were at the Beach in California. There was a set of stairs down to the beach from where the RV was and I used it for PT ..there were about 40 steps and narrow enough that I could hold onto the rails. 3 times a day I went up and down the stairs. It felt wonderful :) I am probably have a 110 ROM which I am happy with...lets face it, I don't squat down for anything these days...lol I am still just happy to walk.
 
So glad you got out of the heat! And you're right, squatting is not what it's cracked up to be! It's all about the walking!
 
Up and down those steps. Whoopee! What a wonderful report!
 
Hi all! My next step :) I am flying out to Boston next Wednesday for two weeks. I am very excited about this. Going to be down in Cape Cod most of the time. I got an aisle seat so hopefully will be able to stretch a bit on the five hour flight.
 
It has been a little while but wanted to check in with everyone. It has been almost 7 months since the last surgery and things are going well. I had a wonderful time in Cape Cod and no issues at the airport. Just let TSA know I had more metal than bone in that leg..hehehe. Put me in the short line. I was able to stretch the leg and walked up the aisle a couple of times which helped with the stiffness. I also made it through camping Labor Day Weekend at the lake and didn't break it..LOL..I still avoid boats. I am still working on the strength. I feel it is at 90% and will be doing leg lifts and the bike forever, but it is worth it. I feel the difference when I skip a couple of days. I do watch where I step when walking, the knee gives a little if the ground is uneven. The ROM is still good. I can get down on the floor and play with my grandson these day :) It feels weird when I try to kneel on it. With the numbness of the flap it almost feels like there is a big dent in it, just not comfortable. Had to work on my husband's care-taking tendencies after a year and a half of doing everything. It is a battle trying to get him to take a brake, that I am OK to do things...I am very lucky to have him :) Over all life is very good....and I have learned patience and not to sweet the small things.
 
PegGar16,
Very happy to hear how well you are doing, and that you are getting your life back, including chores :heehee:.
You will continue to improve with time, even after a few years you will see small improvement.
Wishing you continued healing.
 
Great report, Peg! You have been such an inspiration to so many of us!
 
Great report, Peg!

It's wonderful to hear that you're getting a normal life again. You've been so patient through all of this.
I really take off my hat to you!
 
Hi Everyone! I just thought I would give an update on my knee after seeing the OS this morning. I last visited him on October 9th for a delayed 6 month follow up. He was very happy with how everything looked and functioned. I still hyperextend it a bit but the bend was great at 120-130*. This mornings visit was worked in because I called yesterday to ask about a fluid buildup around the outward area of the knee. It wasn't red and I wasn't having fevers so I wasn't really stressed about it. They were obviously concerned because I got a call back yesterday afternoon that they wanted to see me today and someone would call with instructions. I never got that call but the PA had me on the phone at 0615 this morning. They had me xrayed, labs drawn and in front of the OS by 0900. Everything turned out fine and the OS explained that the capsule behind my knee is pretty much non-existent so fluid will gather in different areas around the knee when it is inflamed or irritated. With my history and extensive surgery he does want to check it out when this happens...so I didn't feel like I wasted his time :) We think it might have been too much dancing at my son's wedding on December 2nd..LOL I am so thankful that I was able to dance at his wedding.... Have a wonderful Christmas !!
 
Thanks for the update, Peg.

I'm so glad you wee able to dance at your son's wedding, even if it did give you a bit of new swelling. :yes!: :santaclap: :dancing:

You've been so patient with your leg - far more patient than most of us could have been.
:merry christmas:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom