MUA Festina lente -Hastening slowly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Celle. I'm not sure what it could be. 'Hastening slowly'?
 
Ideally I'd thought of 'Festina lente' -Latin for hastening slowly. I think it sums up my progress nicely.
 
I've changed it to "Festina lente - Hastening slowly".
 
I was told by my PT yesterday that at our stage of post op recovery that we should only ice after exercise that may induce swelling and just before we go to bed at night. She says that over icing can cause knee stiffness. Makes sense to me.
Icing after any activity that might induce swelling is a good idea. If you're not having pain or swelling, you don't need to ice as much. But, if you ice your knee properly (with a kitchen towel between the ice source and you), it will not result in your knee stiffening. You cannot "over ice" after joint replacement if it is done correctly. Many people prefer to continue icing (especially at night) just because it offers some comfort when the knee is still healing.
 
Well something odd has happened. Today, for the first time my knee feels -drum roll- OK! Its not stiff or sore and I'm not walking with a limp. Its just over 14 weeks since 'K' day. Can this be it? Am I better? Will there be a price to pay for this joyous few hours?
Undoubtedly. But I'm enjoying it while it lasts!
 
Fantastic! Now that you're feeling so much better, don't do like a lot of us have and overdo! You won't feel it until tonight or tomorrow. Your knee is still a preteen.
 
Fear not! I've read too many tales of ODIC! I'm being careful to gradually introduce more activities -not necessarily exercise but different things to do generally.
 
Good girl! Then you know the drill already!
 
My lovely physio was keen that I do what she called functional exercise rather than sets of lifts etc. By this she meant going shopping, driving, going up and downstairs. Just ordinary life really. She said it was to move focus on to meaningful exercise rather than sitting around worrying about just doing knee related activities. I do think Bonesmart needs to clone her!
 
I agree with your physio. She's a treasure!

We often advise that the activities of daily living (ADL) are the most appropriate exercise, and really all that your knee needs.

I'm glad you're starting to feel that you are making progress. :yes!: :yay:
 
@Spex10 Hooray! That's great! We all long for that moment to come. Enjoy it and do your normal things, don't go crazy doing acrobatics!:bicycle1:
 
Beware the law of unintended consequences! Because my knee isn't swollen any more its a poor exposed knobbly thing. I missed the comfortable cushion of swelling last night as my knee seemed to be so easily knocked as I turned over in bed. Its very sensitive. Oh well. Just have to go and overdo it and make it swell again!!
 
But looks like NOT swelling isn't my friend either! Can't win.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom