@KarriB I wonder if your grandfather was saying `bairns' which, if heavily accented, would sounds like 'barrens'. I was once in a local shop in Inverurie, Aberdeenshire, and two old guys were chatting away to each other before turning their attention to me. I couldn`t understand a word they said as they were speaking in Doric, except for one word, 'ken' which I did know! I was bright red as they obviously knew I couldn`t understand!
Hallelujah!! OS says I can drive again! That physio did what she said she'd do and email him to recommend that I be allowed back behind the wheel.
What a relief. Its OK with the insurance company too. Unfortunately, a neighbour has parked so close to the drivers door that I can't actually get into it. Unbelievable!
So as I can't drive today I'll just have to break out the prosecco again. Tomorrow is another day.
Yay, great news! Not so good about the neighbour`s car though. How infuriating and frustrating. Still, hopefully the Prosecco will mitigate some of that!
Handicap parking has its perks, with the bigger spaces yourvdoor can open wider. Or I tried to find an end space that would allow my door to open wide.
Great that you can finally drive, that is when you can get into the driver's side door! Couldn't you ask your neighbor to move the car some so you can get into it? I bet they never realized how close they are to you. I was 7 weeks before I could drive, and man, what a sense of freedom that brought me!
I'm not allowed to park in disabled spaces. You need a special permit for that. I was a whiz at finding spaces with room to open my door before my op. Unfortunately this usually meant a long walk from there but at least I could get in and out of the car OK. Just hope I have retained these skills!
@sistersinhim its been 13 weeks now! I don't like to hassle my neighbour: she's over 90 and not in great health. She'd be so upset if I told her. She'd be desperately sorry. I'm waiting for my husband to come home and move the car.
Good idea from @KarriB. You can probably download the form and get your doctor to sign it and mail it in. I've had mine for years. And it automatically renews.
@Karri its a massive palaver over here. Mainly because there are far more 'blue badge' users than there are disabled spaces. I'd never qualify as my 'disability' is time limited.
Edinburgh is a very congested old place that was never built with cars in mind. Parking is a huge problem. Public transport is promoted a lot and is good but I'm not quite up to the walk to the bus stop yet. I have to use the bus into town as it costs £22 to park for 3 hours. That's £ not $!
I use the car for local shops and visiting family and friends (if I can park). I think you have more space in general over in USA
No such thing as temporary permits sadly. We have very enthusiastic traffic wardens keen to fine heavily for any infringement. Actually I agree with that. There are too many selfish parkers and before my knee problems I'd never have dreamt of trying to park in a disabled space. Unfortunately lots of fit young people take a chance and do!
Edinburgh definitely wasn't built with vehicles in mind. Very narrow roads, so living in town with a car would be difficult. Hopefully you can find an end parking space that lets you open the door wide. Even in Airdrie we took the train into Glasgow instead of driving in.
We can't get temporary handicapped permits here in NZ, either. You have to be permanently disabled to qualify for one. My son, who has an above-knee amputation, has to reapply for his HC permit every 2 years and each time it requires a doctor's examination and certificate - as if a leg could grow back again!
Yay, @Spex10! Now all you need is a sign on the back of your car that says "Just Released!" and wait for all the odd looks from strangers!
In California (in the US of course), they must be very 'equal opportunity' as my mom was able to her HC sticker a week before she had her surgery. Utah is not so lenient, as I was not even asked, much less offered.
@Celle, that's terrible! I wonder what they would do if someone walked in and said "oh, I don't need this anymore - after the 11th rental, my leg finally grew back!"
Happy driving @Spex10! Don't forget to post a picture!
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.