MUA Festina lente -Hastening slowly

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be able to travel without the knees controlling everything will be such a blessing! After all, that's what we all are after, knees that don't control our lives anymore.
 
Sounds lovely! :cheers:

We'll toast and reminisce about the days when our new knees were misbehaving. :rotfl:
 
In fact we'll have a bit of a knees up! Bring it on!
 
@Spex10 your doing so well I'm sure driving won't be an issue for you! I missed the party last week Cheers to you! Do you have a heating pad? I used to put the heating pad on my thighs while I iced that helped calm the cold. It sounds like you have a great physiotherapist! My home health physiotherapist was amazing, lots of massage and gentle manipulation of the sore muscles that would quiet them those PTs are a godsend! Keep on keeping on!
 
Will do. I have a wide selection of iceable items. Some of them can be heated too. I'll try one iced on my knee and a heated one on my thigh. Just hope I don't confuse my leg its had a hard enough time as it is!
 
"Then let us pray that come it may
(as come it will for a' that)
That Sense and Worth, o'er a' the earth
Shall bear the gree an' a' that
For a' that an' a' that
It's coming yet for a' that
That man to man, the world o'er
Shall brithers be for a' that"

Robert Burns
 
Does that include 'the sisterhood of the stick'?
Hope you've got your haggis in for tonight?
 
Just back from Physio. Good news: I have retained my bend. Less good news: have lost a bit of extension. This seems to be temporary though. The physio is very pleased with my progress and thinks I should be focusing on just functional stuff. She's going to email the OS to say that I should be able to drive. Doesn't think I need any more sessions but that I should maybe check in in 3 weeks. Wow. What a physio!
 
I need your physio! I`m prepared to move! Great news re your extension though and especially about the driving. I think ROM seems to be a flexible feast at this stage. Mine was up on last week`s yesterday but now I would think it`s reduced a little due to swelling (and the knee being clobbered).

Absolutely includes Sisterhood of the Stick and no, I haven`t got a haggis for tonight - yet! We were going to go to the local Burn`s Night supper but nobody got round to getting the tickets.

So, where do you think your first jaunt will be when you`re back behind the wheel again?
 
Burns' Night! We celebrate here in the US, however I haven't been to one since my grandfather died. He was often the clan chief and I was a highland dancer. So many Burns' nights I carried the haggis down the center of the hall in full kilt, jacket, sporn, and gillies, meeting my grandfather at the front where he would wield a large knife whilst reciting the poem to the haggis. Of course at the end he'd thrust the knife into the haggis and I had the "wonderful" scent of haggis in my face. Oh but I miss my grandfather and those nights.
 
Erm what's a gillies? I'm afraid we don't bother much with Burns night or any of the overtly 'Scottish' stuff. I think the media have a lot to answer for and January is usually a slow news month (not this year though !)
 
Gillies are highland dancing shoes, black leather with lace ups, no sole other than the leather. Since my grandfather and his siblings passed many of our old traditions have gone by the way. It makes me very sad, but at the same time it just wasn't the same without them. My grandfather and 5 of his siblings came to the US 87 years ago. One brother was left in Airdrie, he came but went back. My grandmother was from Airdrie as well. Pittsburgh is a true melting pot. When I was a teenager I remember hearing so many different accents at our local pool, so it wasn't at all strange for my entire family to have brogues.
 
My daughter did highland dancing when she was younger but her highland dance shoes were called -highland dance shoes!
We do still use a lot of Scots dialect words. Do any of them ring a bell - glaikit, hirple, scunner, press, ben etc etc?
 
Probably all depends on how they're pronounce because I rarely saw them written, just spoken. But when I visited 30 years ago I had no trouble understanding except when we visited St. Jude's tower and the little old man in charge spoke Gaelic. My grandfather always called us barrens (I'm sure the spelling is wrong) brig was always Bridge and we live in a city of bridges and he worked for a company called American Bridge so he tried! Of course, his dialect like " I'll no be going to the shops taday." was something I copied when I was young. He used to recite a lot of poems and stories. We have them on tape, there was one about 10 cent paint on a toilet seat, another about what's under a Scotsman's kilt and many more. On Hogmanay everyone had to sing, dance, recite or play the bagpipes for their dinner. My grandmother's last name was Bell, she died when I was just 2 so I have no memories of her.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom